Thread: Even Roses Have Thorns

Rathe White

Open Even Roses Have Thorns

There had been a slump in the line of work recently, but Raithe was finally seeing things pick up. It didn't help he had found himself blacklisted for busting a slavers ring a while back. The people who usually handled his docket had been silent lately. It had forced the pirate to get a new group of handlers. If he was going to be treated like an outlaw from among those who found that acceptable, then he was really on his own.

Being a loner was also bad for work. The long haired scoundrel sat in a back booth of a local cantina wrapping his arm. A blaster bolt had grazed his left arm just below his shoulder, and health care was hard to come by when there was a bounty out on your head. It was healing fine, but it had been painful.

"Don't you look familiar," a feminine voice came his way.

Raithe he looked up and saw a pink Twi'lek dressed ready to kill, and a blaster hugging her curved hip. He would hate to kill something so pretty, but when it came to him or someone else getting shot, he always shot first... just like Han. The pirate just smiled and finished his drink.

"Nope... you don't know me,"
    he replied as he stood up and started walking out.

The woman followed him, and when Raithe got out of the cantina he ran. His ship was in the spaceport, but he had to get there first. This would be a bad time to run into someone he knew, unless they were the friendly sort.

"You always get the new and expensive ones," Madeleia chided as her brother raised a boxed part closer to his blue eyes, which promptly glanced at her askance. Shaking her head, she new it was pointless and moved on away from the speeder bike accessories, her unruly, straw colored hair falling behind down around her shoulders and back.

"We've got the coin and you know racing is a great money maker on the side, so quit crying."

"Uh huh," the smuggler grinned, her signature smooth features catching the attention of two male humans farther down the aisle. "Still waiting on that windfall, bro."

"This is the last one I need to get that thing running finally."

"Well," she continued, hazel eyes catching sight of an explosion of activity in the avenue outside. One particular, long haired man flying toward the parts store they were in. Closer scrutiny as he neared made her smile as she recognized the concerned look on his face. One of typical note to those that spent their lives on the run from trouble. Moving now with purpose to the main entrance to the shop, Madeleia's right hand fell to the T6 holstered on her shapely hip.

"Where you going," T.J. yelled.

"Hurry up, we may be leaving here sooner than intended." Now looking beyond the handsome figure sprinting through foot traffic, she then found the reason for his flight as the attractive Twi'lek came into view. Perhaps a jaded lover, she mused with a smile.

Rathe White
    Rathe was not aware he had been spotted by an acquaintance. His mind was not on anything but avoiding death by Twi'lek. He didn't know who he had pissed off, but his life had been running ever since he helped free from slaves. The job had come to bite him in the butt, and he knew it would, but he hated slavers. It also helped the woman he helped with the job was pretty damn hot. He hadn't run into her since then, but that was a face (and figure) he was not going to forget.

The Twi'lek was on his tail, and as he weaved through the streets to try an lose her, Rathe nearly got turned around. Everything was in a blur as this was the upteenth time he'd been chased out of town. He was getting tired of the running, and almost wanted to collect the bounty on himself. Certainly this had to be the issue. Rathe did his best to keep a low profile, but he couldn't help it when he ran out of his booze. Maybe he needed to quit the drink because at this rate it was going to get him killed. Every odd job had its downside, but none had seen Rathe in this much trouble before.

He ducked behind an alley and watched the pink blur run past him. Rathe smirked. Some bounty hunters were just stupid and didn't think to keep their eyes on the target while they were running through busy streets. When it seemed like he was in the clear, Rathe walked out of the alley and made his way back toward his ship. Hopefully no one else had tailed him because he was not wanting to take off running again.

Rathe pulled out his datapad and typed out a message to the slaver he had foiled

Nice try dillweed. You're gonna have to do better than a busty pink Twi'lek next time. They're better lovers than hunters."

Hazel eyes followed the sudden movements of those that Rathe and his pursuer parted as they ran, several even looking as if they were going to impart their own thoughts on the subject. Not waiting for her brother, Madeleia sprinted after them. There had to be a great story behind this, she mused and pushed her way through those already accustomed to being moved. Soon, the dark haired pirate vanished into an alley, only noticed by the trio of rustically clothed men that glanced Rathe's way as they crossed the narrow avenue.

Luckily, the Twi'lek apparently missed him altogether, though the smuggler knew that anyone that was worth their weight would have a plan. However, it didn't mean that this was Rathe's unlucky day.

Continuing toward the alley, Madeleia slowed her pace and craned her neck to ensure that the female was continuing to disappear in the wrong direction. Her comlink buzzed which prompted her to glance down and remove it from her belt, then raise the slender device. T.J.

Clicking the comlink, she returned her gaze toward the alley, "What's up?"

"The hell'd you go?"

"I'll meet you at the ship," she informed and promptly turned off the comm device as she stepped toward the alley just as Rathe felt confident enough to exit. "So," she grinned, "She pregnant or what? After you for child support?"

Rathe White
    Rathe could have been home free had he not been spotted. Her voice startled him as he nearly ran into her head on because he hadn't been looking. He smirked as he looked her over. Yeah, her shape and figure were still pretty damn amazing.

"Yeah, no... she's hot and all, but I usually don't make it a business of sleeping with the people trying to collect the bounty on my head..."

In a round about way it was Madellia's fault too. He could make the case if they hadn't gone after those slaves he wouldn't be running for his life every time he had to restock his empty liquor stash. He shrugged as his feet carried him back in the direction of his ship. She could follow, she could not. Rathe didn't really care, though he kinda hoped she would. They made a decent team, if she'd ever ditch working with her annoying brother.

"So what brings you out and about? That brother of yours break something again?"

Rathe chuckled to himself. It was not a secret he and TJ didn't get along. Madellia had played referee the last time they'd worked together. Rathe wasn't going to get anywhere with the sister as long as TJ was around anyway. The fact she had come after him alone, that was a good thing. Maybe he'd get a chance to get her to take a job or run off with him, leaving her brother behind for once.

Moving to follow toward the starport, Madeleia chuckled knowing that anyone that loved to keep the next possible opportunity interested was to deny the last one. She had seen it a million times and being from Plagen, that mindset was something most were raised with. "Who said she was trying to collect the bounty then?" Hazel eyes glanced back through the crowd once more, still waiting on the pink skinned Twi'lek to emerge somewhere else.

His next query prompted another chuckle as her gaze returned to the rugged pirate. "He's still trying to finish modifying his speeder bike and wants to race it. I gave him several pointers on what parts to get, but everytime we hit a new port he has to spend all his money." She shrugged, most guys loved their toys, she mused. "So, what brings you to the ass end of space?"

Rathe White
    "The blaster on her hip," Rathe said with a smirk. Honestly he didn't wait long enough to find out. He'd been running for so long that he wanted nothing to do with most people that approached him with a blaster. Rathe didn't care how beautiful they were either. There was no trust.

Rathe didn't trust anyone. He didn't even really trust Madelia, but she was as honest as they came for a scoundrel. There was no reason given not to trust her, so until that happened he'd give her some leverage.

He shook his head hearing about TJ. His mind did not wrap around the idea of spending credits at every port on parts. TJ was buying crap parts if that were the case. The boy didn't like to listen though, so he let it go. He wasn't Rathe's problem after all. Well he would be if tried getting Rathe's way.

"That slaver that I helped you with... he has a bounty on my head large enough to bring anyone out of the woodworks to claim it. I've been running from it until I can pay it off."

Rathe shrugged and motioned his head toward the space port.

"Ship is this way if you wanna blow your bother off for a few hours... I got a job I might even want your help on..."

The mention of a bounty definitely caught her attention as they moved through the foot traffic, now wondering how many more bounty hunters had taken that slaver up on that offer. "Guess I've been moving too much to even notice if my name's on that as well." Now it was becoming apparent that if she were on that contract, perhaps being seen with Rathe wasn't that bright after all. Hazel eyes moved toward the distant entrance to the starport as they continued on.

"Only a few hours?" She smirked, glancing to him. "What's the job?"

Rathe White
    "Well I mean I didn't want to ask for the whole night the first time around." Rathe said with a smirk as they crossed into the spaceport. He knew her mind would rummage through whether she was on the bounty or not. The rugged pirate looked over to the woman and grinned. "I haven't seen you on any bounties. Not sure you were included. It seems more personal than just the slaves we freed. I did use my connection to get you in..."

Rathe's ship was pretty deep in the spaceport. His hope had been staying so far back would keep hunters from finding him. He'd been good at going unnoticed except for the incident in the cantina and hoped it was a one time thing.

"I've got a lead on a load of weapons for some rebillion on some planet. The pay is good, and it's enough to pay off the bounty on my head. I just don't feel like doing it alone, and you can have what's left after the bounty is paid off, and forty percent of my next gig."

Rathe felt his offer was generous considering he didn't include her having to work the next job with him. He'd be inclined to offer her a permanent spot on his ship, but he didn't think she'd take it.

When they got to his ship, Rathe punched in his keycode that lowered the ramp for them. He didn't wait to see if she was following before he walked up the ramp. Staying out of sight was a more important issue than chivalry or seeing if she wanted the job. If she did she'd follow him. Besides, she seemed like she wanted to get TJ out of her hair for a while.

"Rebellions usually make life interesting for everyone involved, especially if they're fighting against the Empire," she added, knowing firsthand being a smuggler had gotten her into more trouble over the years than she cared to admit. T.J. was going to love this, she mused and took out her comlink as they moved through the crowded concourse toward the alley of entrances to the various hangars situated in the west wing of the starport.

Trying to talk loud enough over the buzz of voices and blaring echo of the intercom, she raised the slender device closer to her lips. "Hey," she called as her brother answered. "Going to be out of town for a few hours, I'll meet you back at the ship this evening."

"What's his name?"

She grinned, glancing at Rathe. "Nevermind, just keep an eye on things for a bit."

"I don't have enough money to..." She cut him off, knowing what was coming next, then slipped the comlink back into her pocket. Following the pilot up into his ship, she began to recognize the familiar signs of a career bachelor, noting the unclean areas and clutter.

"Charming."