PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2003 Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2

CMJ
Sep 29th, 2003, 12:33:49 PM
I expect both the Yankees and Braves to win their respective leagues.

Still rooting for the Red Sox though. ;)

Ka' el Darcverse
Sep 29th, 2003, 01:25:01 PM
I'm cheering for the Sox and who ever plays the Cubs.

JMK
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:05:18 PM
I'm pulling for the Sox above all, then the Twins. As far as the NL goes, I'd love to see Felipe Alou win a WS and I also wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs end their streak of futility in the post season. A win by the Yanks, Braves and Marlins would kill me. And I really don't have anything against the Marlins' players, but it's not a big secret how I feel about Jeffrey Loria and David Samson. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 29th, 2003, 08:57:46 PM
I know you dispise Lorie. I am rooting for the Sox please god not another Yankees-Braves series, the last two both sucked.

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:40:33 AM
Nah, the first one was a really good series...other than the fact the Yankees won. But it was a pretty dramatic 6 game set.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 12:07:28 PM
Not that I remember but I hate the Yankees and Braves so it wouldn't be good for me :p

CMJ
Sep 30th, 2003, 02:39:09 PM
I can appreciate great baseball even if I'm not a fan of either team, though I don't mind the Braves so much.

The Twins win Game 1 of the first series of the day. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 08:27:53 PM
Yeah I was so happy to see that score :) Cubs up 4-1 in the 7th right now, Kerry Wood is pitching a heck of a game.

Figrin D'an
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:40:50 PM
Cubs win! Cubs win!

First road playoff victory since 1945!

:crack

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:41:28 PM
Cubs win Game one Wood pitched a brilliant game, got worried there in the 8th with the baseloaded but they somehow got out of it.

JMK
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:07:30 PM
Baker made a timely switch for Wood. His best stuff was clearly gone and it was best not to tarnish a great performance. What a perfect day of baseball for me. The Yanks, Marlins and Braves all lost. I just pray it happens 2 more times...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 30th, 2003, 10:28:59 PM
LOL Same here :) Hopefully Pedro will pitch a gem tomorrow night.

jjwr
Oct 1st, 2003, 06:21:08 AM
Yankee's lose!! Thats definetly a good start. Now if only the Sox can give Pedro about 5 runs they'll be golden.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2003, 11:44:27 AM
Clearly we're not all rooting for the same teams. Yet everyone seems to be pulling for Boston. ;)

Salvestro
Oct 1st, 2003, 11:49:28 AM
Apparently I am the only one rooting for the Marlins....

Go Marlins :D

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2003, 11:54:47 AM
I'm rooting for the Fish too. I'd like baseball to succeed in Miami, and this run has brought back alot of their fans.

Plus, I hate the Giants.

JMK
Oct 1st, 2003, 12:09:36 PM
UGH! Court! Loria and Samson are EVIL! You must join me in hating them! >D

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2003, 12:12:06 PM
I can't help it man. I like the story of the scrappy underdog. No one is more of that ilk than the Marlins this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:19:01 PM
I think the Cubs fit that bill better than any other team playing right now only because they haven't won in over 90 years.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:21:22 PM
The Cubs have far more talent...and have loyal as hell fans. The Marlins are really scrappy, and unloved, something that doesn't come to mind when I think of the Cubs.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:23:52 PM
Well I was thinking because they haven't won in forever, and have been labeled the loveable losers.

Sene Unty
Oct 1st, 2003, 01:26:55 PM
It's nice to see so much excitement down here with the Marlins...even I have kinda gotten interested....

Figrin D'an
Oct 1st, 2003, 03:47:34 PM
I can't root for the Marlins, simply because of their ownership. Sorry, but anyone whom wins the World Series, then implodes the entire team deverves to rot for enternity in the lowest levels of Hell.

Throw out the Yankees, Braves and Marlins, and I would be happy with any remaining possible combination for a World Series matchup. Granted, I'm pulling hard for the Cubs to finally shed the "lovable losers" label, but I could at least tolerate the Giants, A's, Red Sox or Twins winning it all.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2003, 04:12:17 PM
Well that owner is gone, of course Lorie is worse than that guy, IMO. It sucks that the Marlins are winning right now 7-5, the Giants could still come back.

JMK
Oct 1st, 2003, 04:23:20 PM
Sorry, but anyone whom wins the World Series, then implodes the entire team deverves to rot for enternity in the lowest levels of Hell.
It is a different ownership now, as Carr stated. But these owners are even worse bumblers than whoever was in there before. At least the guy before brought the city a championship before wrecking it. This Loria and Samson tandem just destroys. People like them should not be allowed to run teams.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2003, 05:43:48 PM
I'm at work - and just clicked over to see the Marlins won Game 2.

At least one series is going 4 games.

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:27:58 AM
Looks like the Sox bullpen is up to their old tricks again...:rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:51:21 AM
Yeah that made me sick, of course they could have scored more runs the left 10 men on base which is not like them. Now I have to hope they can pull out a win this afternoon.

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:27:50 AM
Great game - even though we lost. I can't really complain about leaving so many on base, because the A's left a ton as well.

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:06:29 PM
Game 2 is a must-win for the Sox.

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:47:52 PM
Wow, what a disastrous start for the Sox. Wakefield is getting whacked around, fielders aren't making plays and they are throwing the ball around like little leaguers.

5-0 A's.
:x

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:48:34 PM
well... I don't want to write off the Red Sox, because they have loads of offensive power... but they're a couple innings away from being burnt to crisp. The A's pitching staff has scorched them in the first two games.

JMK
Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:54:26 PM
Zito just had a filthy curve ball today. Boston is in real trouble now. They have almost no room for error now.

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:57:03 PM
*sigh*

How typical. Maybe we can win Game 3 in Fenway.

Jedieb
Oct 2nd, 2003, 05:05:50 PM
Sorry Sox fans, but The Curse will not die! Let's all pull for the Cubbies! One of these epic losing streaks has got to end!

I really think the Cubs can make a run here. Wood is on fire and Prior may be even hotter. Tomorrow's game at Wrigley is going to be electric!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:16:28 PM
Well the Sox are going to have to pull a 99 now when they lost the first two to Cleveland if the division and won 3 straight. They can do it I hope.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:05:49 AM
Well for any of that to happen Manny Ramirez has to actually start driving in runs when runners are in scoring position.

JediBoricua
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:13:44 AM
Manny batting in the offseason???????? Nah, you're kidding right?

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:17:16 AM
So far it would look like I'm kidding myself. :rolleyes

As an aside, I had a TERRIBLE dream last night. I dreamt that the Expos traded Vladimir Guerrero to the Yankees for a crappy Bernie Williams and a sloppy Nick Johnson. :x I guess its better than losing him for nothing, but still, that would kill me.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:46:04 AM
Yeah Manny had chances in the first game we should have won, like 8-4 or something if he had done something with runners on. He did in the regular season not sure what happened there. They will have to get motivated they did after the 99 losses to Cleveland, of course do they have a manager to get them motivated?? If not they won't and if that is the case if I was the Sox brass I fire him and bring in somebody else.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:57:02 AM
I don't know, these guys are pros. If they have to be motivated by their manager to win on their sport's largest stage then they probably don't deserve to be there at all. These guys should have their pride on the line and if they just roll over and let the A's walk all over them then it would be pretty clear that playoffs mean little to them and it's all about their paycheck.

That being said, if the Sox lose game 3, Grady Little probably will get fired. Sad but true. He's got a good lineup, decent starting pitching but a bad bullpen. If the players are going to stop executing once the playoffs arrive, then it's their fault, not the manager's. But it's easier to fire one manager than it is to trade 25 guys.

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:41:04 PM
Marlins and Cubs both win to take control of their series'.

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:19:47 PM
Poor Maddox. He actually pitched a solid game. He's now 11-14 in the postseason. The guy never catches a break. Prior was PHENOMENAL tonight. I think Wood is coming back for game 4. The Braves have their work cut out for them.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:43:10 PM
I can't believe this kid 2-hit the Braves. Even more surprising is the Braves committing FOUR errors. What's up with that? If Wood does indeed pitch game 4 the Braves are in REAL deep.

Sene Unty
Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:57:18 PM
The Marlins won...the Marlins won...what an ending! The Marlins won...*does happy dance

Figrin D'an
Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:41:41 PM
Matt Clement is scheduled to pitch Game 4 for the Cubs, with Russ Ortiz going for Atlanta. I suppose it's possible that, if Dusty Baker feels that the Braves are on the ropes, he'll send Wood out. I think he'd rather save him for a Game 5 situation, though, with the extra couple days of rest.

The really interesting aspect to all this is, even in Game Two, Zambrano was holding down the Braves lineup pretty well. They just got a couple of timely hits after a couple of walks. With Wood and Prior dominating Games 1 and 3, the Cubs pitching staff is just scary good right now. And both Wood and Prior have said that their starts were no where near their best games.

The Cubs have to start driving in runs, though. I mean, how many times in these first three games have they had runners in scoring position with 0 or 1 out, and have failed to plate anyone?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:23:17 AM
Prior was unbelievable today. Also about the Sox. Little contract is out at the end of the season and this guy was hired by the previous managment. Epstein might want a new face. And the person I suspect might be Valentine since he is available. Of course they have to lose Game 3 I pray they win they could still come back I think its possible.

Figrin D'an
Oct 4th, 2003, 02:17:25 AM
We could potentially see three of the four divison series end on Saturday. I have a feeling that the Red Sox are going to win Game 3, and at least push that series into Sunday.

The Giants and Braves, though, are exhibiting a classic failing of teams that have tremendous regular season success. Because they both clinched their division titles so early, neither team has really had to play a truely meaninful game over the 3 weeks of the season. The Cubs and Marlins had to fight and claw in that last week of the season to clinch playoff spots, and they have that experience of being recent do-or-die situations. Chicago and Florida seem to have that fire needed to win in the postseason, while Atlanta and San Francisco are finding it difficult to get themselves prepared to play two teams that peaked at the right time of the season.

I'm going to be bold and predict that the NLCS will be set by the end of Saturday.

JMK
Oct 4th, 2003, 08:32:21 AM
Atlanta had the NL East wrapped up sometime in late July. They hadn't played a meaningful game for months.

As far as managers go for the Sox should they fire Little, I think they would wait until after the WS ends and see who gets the axe. Personally I don't think they would bring in Bobby Valentine. I have a mathematical equation to explain why:
(Valentine x his temper) + Ornery Boston Media = disaster

Pretty simple huh? ;)

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2003, 04:04:02 PM
The Marlins victory today was unbelievable.

Figrin D'an
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:18:19 PM
Man... two more feet and Sosa would have tied that game at 6. Smoltz was hurting, though... that could be trouble for Atlanta tomorrow, potentially not having their closer.

I hope Kerry Wood has his 'A' game like he did in Game 1, and that the Cubs bats finally start to hit.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 4th, 2003, 06:35:28 PM
As any Marlins fan would tell you, we'd prefer to play the Braves over anyone else.

After all, we beat them 9 of 10 games in the regular season :D

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:30:29 PM
HOLY COW WE WIN IN ELEVEN INNGINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still doubt we'll take the series, but damn...I've been jumping up and down for about 5 minutes.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:38:10 PM
Yeah I was exicited too, I think we could come back if we win tomorrow I like our chances with Pedro in Game 5.

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2003, 09:43:39 PM
I don't know...their entire pitching staff is really good. They matched Martinez in Game 1, and I always go with the home team in decisive games.

I'm just glad we weren't swept.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 12:10:48 AM
Yeah but the same thing happened in 99 Boston was down 2-0 and won three straight including beating Cleveland in Jacobs Field (which was very tough back then). Actually the only thing that worries me is the bullpen Pedro will pitch great but we might need a CG out of him to guarentee his win. Also I don't like using Hudson and Zito on three days rest I think that is something that is just waiting for disaster.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:09:06 AM
The lack of clutch hitting so far in the playoffs has been driving me crazy. Especially from guys like Ramirez and Most of the Twins lineup. I know I know, great pitching, but there's NO excuse for Manny's 1-14 with God knows how many stranded runners.

And its too bad I hate Jeffrey Loria and David Samson because the team they've got on the field is all guts. It would be nice to pull for them but the Expos loyalist in me won't allow it.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:13:35 AM
I have no clue what is up with Manny?? He looks like Mo Vaugh in 98 for Boston (he did the same thing) maybe he will have a huge game today.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:33:32 AM
He's their big RBI guy. He sets up everything for the rest of the batting order. If he does something constructive, like at LEAST moving a runner over, then it makes it tough for the opposing pitchers to pitch to the other guys. Last night for example Manny struck out in the 9th (I think it was the 9th) then which allowed Bradford to continue to go after the lefties instead of walking them. That didn't help much either as Millar went down swinging to end the inning.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:45:26 AM
Nomar has actually played ok, though I have no clue why they are batting him second??? He should be hitting third or something.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 02:17:16 PM
Manny and Ortiz came through today. We got lucky Hudson got hurt - because he looked really solid at the beginning.

Man oh man, can't wait for tommorrow.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 03:02:14 PM
Finally Ortiz comes through like he should have! That was great!

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:52:27 PM
Cubs Win! Cubs Win!

:D
:crack

Bring on the Marlins!

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 08:53:53 PM
First postseason series win since '08 - as in 1908.

Of course they've gotten this far before. In '84 and '89 they lost in the League Championship round, in the Pre Division playoff days.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:22:16 PM
I think this team is better than those. Those teams didn't have this type of pitching. In 84 there best pichter was Scutcliff(sp) and team revolved around Sandberg and Dawson, in 89 there pitching wasn't much better and there offense was mainly the same two guys. The big difference between this team and those is the pitching Wood and Prior are a lot better than the pitchers they had back then. The offense is about the same with Sosa and Alou being most of it like Dawson and Sandberg.
Now for my Sox well they came through and I think they have a good chance of taking the series, with Pedro I give them a chance, the only thing that worries me is the bullpen, I hope we knock Zito around maybe the Sox offense will finally come alive.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:24:41 PM
The bullpen doesn't worry me at all. Have you seen our bullpen in this series?! Un freakin' believable.

I don't know if we can hit Zito though. I'm expecting a 2-1 sort of game.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:36:16 PM
Cubs
Marlins
Yankees

And if the Sox win tomorrow everything will have gone as I have forseen....:evil

The dream WS that I've been talking about for YEARS is within reach, The Futility Series: Cubs V. Red Sox!!!!

My parents live in Miami and he's big Marlins fan. He's a HUGE baseball fan to begin, but having his local team making another run has him really excited. My sister was visiting this weekend and she and my Dad were cheering wildly yesterday. If it weren't for my Mother's health (nothing serious, just getting ready to have her pacemaker's batteries changed) he would have been in those stands and making some noise.

I've been a Yankees fan since I was 7, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of these perenenial heartbreakers finally get their due. But if The Futility Series does come to fruition, I'm going to have to take the Cubs over CMJ's Sox. Sorry big guy. :angel

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:37:55 PM
Typical response from a Yankees fan. :p

I hope we beat you guys like a rented mule :wings

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:45:08 PM
I find it interesting how you guys keep referring to the Red Sox as "we."

;)

:mneh

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 09:49:53 PM
I refer to all my teams as "we" - win or lose. I know alot of clowns who only use that terminology when their squad is winning.

When they aren't they call their team a bunch losers. That's not me - my team is always my team. I'm a part of the supporting cast(albeit *very* small) and I take that part seriously.

;)

Figrin D'an
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:02:22 PM
I don't use "we" in such instances at all, regardless of team, win or lose, simply because I'm not actually a part of the team or organization. But, that's me.

I don't use it even in reference my alma mater's football team, to which I have to closest affinity of any sports team, having been actually down on field level for every home game (and many road games) when I was in college, and having known several players on the team.

Different strokes for different folks, though. I just find it interesting. :)

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:08:38 PM
I understand what you're saying. I have more respect for that than the posers who are bandwagon fans - and use "we" when they win a title. :x

I agree with you about the alma mater angle though. Out of all the teams I follow, I feel closest to North Texas. It's the most comfortable I feel when I use *we*, I'll tell you that much. I also knew several players in college, even had a class or two with some in my years.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:10:43 PM
Get this: I refer to 'we' when I'm talking about the Dolphins, but I don't refer to the Expos and Canadiens as 'we'. Weird huh?

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:12:15 PM
Not necessarily, if you feel closer to that team than to the others. I always had you pegged as a Expos fan above all though.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2003, 10:22:04 PM
I love them all like children. ;)
Although I'm much more vocal as a Dolphins fan. I guess its because of the same reason football players get so stoked for each game compared to baseball and hockey; there's so many less games so they're so much more important.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2003, 11:13:18 PM
You know you are right the bullpen has been playing better, better than the regular season, as long as Kim don't pitch :p Zito is pitching on 3 day rest for the first time ever I am not sure if that is a good thing.

JediBoricua
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:46:36 AM
Reynolds on ESPN said he expected a high score for tonight's game...weird.

Anyway I'm really excited, and I'm hoping for a classic.

And wow, Pudge Rodríguez is surely playing some baseball! I was jumping up and down when he got that final out in home plate last saturday. I know I'm supposed to be an Expos fan, but I love it when prican players do good, I'm sorry JMK.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:00:26 AM
:lol
No problem. I can see why everyone is pulling for the Marlins, but I've seen what snakes their ownership is and can't help hating everything associated with them.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:06:00 AM
Yeah I heard Reynolds say that, I understand about the Zito part (pitching on 3 days rest) but I didn't get about Pedro he said because he warmed up the other day don't see how that would hurt him??

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:19:18 AM
He warmed up for several *innings* though. That's almost the equivalent of pitching for a few innings.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:26:19 AM
A little bit of light throwing during a game wouldn't affect a starter's ability to start a game. That's not even possible to me.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:31:28 AM
It doesn't usually unless they think Pedro is that fragile. He also did say that Pedro falls apart after 100 pitches??? Where did he get that he pitched 130 in Game 1 and really only started looking tired around pitch 115-120 because that is really the max that he has ever pitched in the last couple of season.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:34:59 AM
He threw 130...that's a ton for Martinez. After that kinda work he might need *more* than his normal rest. That along with him prepping to go in Game 3 is a cause for concern.

Figrin D'an
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:40:17 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
He threw 130...that's a ton for Martinez. After that kinda work he might need *more* than his normal rest. That along with him prepping to go in Game 3 is a cause for concern.

I'd tend to agree. He's a great pitcher, but the Red Sox are asking a lot out of him. He's not going to be as sharp as he could be, but then again, neither will Zito. This game does have the potential to be high-scoring.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:51:33 AM
Though I think Martinez will pitch better than people think. Gammons said it best that Martinez is determined to pitch better in the postseason. I guess we will find out tonight. One thing I find it interesting that Bob Gibson back in the 60's threw on less rest and threw probably 130 pitches a game and pitched brilliant. It wasn't just him a lot of pictures pitched like that back him, are pitchers spoiled today?? I just find it odd that they can't do that anymore.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:54:46 AM
Pitchers are definitely spoiled today.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:06:46 PM
That is what I think they are used to pitching on that kind of rest, the game has gotten very specialized. Its kind of sad actually, we will never see another 30 game winner and nobody (except maybe Maddux) will ever win 300 again.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:21:16 PM
The reason pitchers don't throw as often as they used to is because of stupid player agents. They ALWAYS make sure that their client's arm is in the best position to sign another contract. If the arm is worn out by the time they're 32 that doesn't do much for any agent. So they're the ones that really made the pitch count such a big deal. Of course it is a factor for managers, but the player agent made it what it is today.

So yeah, pitchers are spoiled.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:25:31 PM
Actually Kyle I think you are on to something there.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:34:48 PM
Maddux should pass 300 next year, but after him it may not happen for a LONG time.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:14:58 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Typical response from a Yankees fan. :p

I hope we beat you guys like a rented mule :wings

Laugh now, cuz you know you'll eventually be crying. Wait, is that the Bambino I hear laughing in the distance? ;)

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:17:35 PM
:lol :lol

It's not guarantee we'll even get to the ALCS, but if we do - it's on.

;)

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:25:11 PM
Today's Pitchers
I don't know if I'd say it's the agents as much as the game itself. Today, what team doesn't have a 4 man roster for the regular season? Guys just aren't getting the same amount of starts as they use to. Plus, relief pitchers have become so common that complete games are becoming more and more rare.

Why the Cubs are scary
They have the Johnson/Schilling & Drysdale/Kafax(sp?) of this post season. Plus, both of those guys are young. Pedro may put up the most dominant 6 innings when he's on, but he just can't keep up with Wood and Prior in the late innings. It's going to be tough for Boston to get past the Yanks even if they win tonight because they'd only have Pedro for 2 games. And if they did get past NY I don't Lowe or Wakefield giving Boston that second dominant starter.

Great Baseball
That's what we're getting. I would be happy to see any of these teams go on to win because I think it would be great to baseball. Lord knows MLB needs all the help it can get. But if there's a Yankees/Marlins series I may never speak to my Father again. :cryin

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:36:49 PM
Plus, relief pitchers have become so common that complete games are becoming more and more rare.
I think relief pitchers have become so common because starters have coincidentally lost the will to go a full 9 innings. Mangers have had to stack their rosters with more bullpen arms.

Figrin D'an
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:26:51 PM
Well, we've seen the trend develop as the 1990's progressed, as well. The teams that had success in the post season had at least 1 dominant arm in the bullpen, plus a couple of guys capable of giving a solid inning or two to hold down the fort, so to speak, to get the game into the hands of the closer.

Starting pitching philosophy really started to change in the early 80's, and I think it had a lot to do with some of the young fireball pitchers in the mid/late 70's that burned out after just a few seasons in the big leagues. I mean, look at Mark Fydrich. That guy had superstar written all over him, yet because he pitched so many complete games his rookie season and because Detroit trotted him out on short rest so often, his arm was dead before he ever really got established as a force in the league. Both teams, and starting pitchers, started to realize that in order to have a lengthy career, they couldn't rack up 120+ pitches every outing on 3 days rest.

And, when baseball expanded the roster spots available per team, it allowed clubs to specialize a little more.

I agree, Maddox will be the last 300 game winner we'll see for a long time.

My two cents...

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 02:57:58 PM
Which will make for some interesting discussions in the next 10-15 years when guys like Wood and Prior retire. If they don't reach 300 because of expanded rosters, less innings etc. how will future pitchers be judged on whether or not they get into the hall of fame? 300 wins is an automatic free pass, but if we end up with a chunk of guys at 220-240 wins, they certainly won't allow them all into the hall. What will it come down to? Strikeouts? ERA?

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:08:51 PM
We're 3 and a half innings deep - this has pitcher's duel written all over it. First team to score wins.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 07:55:00 PM
The Giant has awoken! ManRam lives!!!!!
So much for the pitcher's duel. :lol

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:31:27 PM
What a scary collision in center field. I hope Damon doesn't suffer a concussion or anything and that he just got his bell rung real hard.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:32:56 PM
What. A. Ballgame. ^_^;

Just when it looked like the Sox pen was going to implode again, Lowe comes in and strikes out the last 2 hitters. Unbelievable. I couldn't breathe for the entire 9th inning.

Red Sox vs Yankees! Holeeeeee crap!!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:33:08 PM
And the Red Sox won :) Now Bring on the Yankees. I have to say they sure don't like to end games easy damn, at least Lowe saved the day he pitched great there.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:35:18 PM
Yeah Kyle I know that was heartbreaking. And talk about Deja Vu?? Last time Boston came back in 99 from 2-0 they faced the Yankees and now again. And who will start in game 1 Wed? I hope Lowe can go, Martinez won't be available until Game 3 I bet.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:36:04 PM
I almost had a stroke in the ninth inning.

Let me be the first to say F%*K the Yankees! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:37:35 PM
LOL CMJ yeah it was intense.

Figrin D'an
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:39:41 PM
Swear-filter subversion, guys... let's watch the language please.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:43:46 PM
Hell, if Boston ever won the WS I be swearing left and right :p

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:45:54 PM
I'd probably weep like a baby(in a good way) for about 3 days.

JediBoricua
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:47:27 PM
After a really so-so playoffs last year, this one is shaping up to be one of the greatest ever.

The next two week will be awesome!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:47:36 PM
Seriously haven't a clue what I would do, I won't plan anything no point in putting the cart before the horse.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2003, 09:55:10 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
After a really so-so playoffs last year, this one is shaping up to be one of the greatest ever.

The next two week will be awesome!!!

I liked watching the Angel's run, but overall it probably wasn't as exciting. Of course I'm biased being a Red Sox fan and all.

Charley
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:04:04 PM
Dear Satan Lucifer, Baphomet, Cthulhu, Beelzebub, Baal, etc,

How many babies must I kill to arrange a Red Sox vs Cubs 7 game world series? Please reply with desired number, and if desired, method of killing. Forward address for delivery of said baby corpses. Soul may be available for purchase on ebay.

Thx,
Charley

PS: Whats the going rate to give the entire Yankee franchise a horrible strain of ebola? I'll take that also.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:34:43 PM
LOL I wish that was possible I am still hoping it will happen, we will have to wait and see.

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:18:14 PM
Game 3 will most likely give us Clemons V. Pedro, at Fenway. Let the drooling begin.......

And (1986) please CMJ, when(Bucky F. Dent) the inevitable (JOe Morgan)does happen(Buckner), don't let it(The Boston Massacre of 78) crush your soul(Bucky F. Dent). After all($250,000), there's always(27 V. 0) next season(George Herman Ruth) to look forward to. :evil

JMK
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:23:05 PM
THAT was savage man.

Charley
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:23:49 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Game 3 will most likely give us Clemons V. Pedro, at Fenway. Let the drooling begin.......

And (1986) please CMJ, when(Bucky F. Dent) the inevitable (JOe Morgan)does happen(Buckner), don't let it(The Boston Massacre of 78) crush your soul(Bucky F. Dent). After all($250,000), there's always(27 V. 0) next season(George Herman Ruth) to look forward to. :evil

When you crank your car in the morning and are thrown through the roof in a blossoming fireball of explosive force, think of me and my BoSox :wings

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2003, 11:30:09 PM
LOL you Yankee fans are evil :p We will see you will get no trash talk out of me unless we win ;)

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:06:02 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
When you crank your car in the morning and are thrown through the roof in a blossoming fireball of explosive force, think of me and my BoSox :wings
ROTFL :lol

LOL you Yankee fans are evil
Remember, from the mouth of the Sox's own GM, the Yankees are the "EVIL EMPIRE!!!"
:):duel
See, this is what trash talkin' is all about.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:41:49 AM
We're giving the Sox all kinds of credit for coming back from and 0-2 hole, but we haven't made fun of the A's for being collossal chokers yet! They are now 0-9 in games where they have a chance to eliminate a team! That's ridiculous!

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:12:58 AM
That's one of the more pathetic stats in recent baseball history. There's no defending that. I may offend the sports gentleman in CMJ, but Oakland needs to replace the "A's" with the "C's." CHOKERS!!!!!!!!!

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:23:42 AM
Well to be serious, there really is no defending that in any shape, way, or form. Even if they had won just 1 of those games we wouldn't be talking about them like this.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:35:45 AM
The A's just collapsed, Part of it was the big bats in Tejada, and Chavez neither did anything. Also tonight is game one of Cubs-Marlins. I hope the Cubs take game one.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:16:34 AM
I hope the Cubs take the whole series.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:24:11 AM
Man, did you see King George's classic quote the other day about "quiters never win, and winners never quit."

Then he has the gall to say that "winning is more impostant than breathing" to the Yanks and that's why they win. Oh yeah, like that helped during the 18 year drought they had. He's such a bafoon.

Cubs in seven

Red Sox in six

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:45:15 AM
Well like you said, he *is* a king, and by divine right, what he says is automatically true. :rolleyes

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:48:01 AM
Oh, I guess they quit when the D-Backs won the Series 2 years ago - and when the Angels beat the snot out of'em. :evil

Arrogant fans are the worst, and you're hard pressed to find a more arrogant lot than the Yankees.

Wakefield shut New York down both times this year in Yankee stadium and we have him up Game 1. I like our chances.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:55:34 AM
Arrogant fans are the worst, and you're hard pressed to find a more arrogant lot than the Yankees.
Ever speak to a Toronto Maple Leafs fan? At least the Yankees can lay claim to being the best team in baseball (for a time) and a handful of championchips. These clowns have zilch to show for all of their bravado and arrogance.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:59:41 AM
I would assume Candians fans are arrogant with what 24(?) Stanley Cups to their resume.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:16:19 PM
Steinbrenner is a moron if he didn't have Cashman and Torre around the Yanks would stink look what he did to them in the mid 80's. Also I like the sox chances now that nobody is giving them a chance. Everybody is saying the Yankees are well rested and have their rotation set and say they will sweep the Sox, I guess we will see.

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:31:08 PM
Well like you said, he *is* a king, and by divine right, what he says is automatically true.

Steinbrenner is a moron if he didn't have Cashman and Torre around the Yanks would stink look what he did to them in the mid 80's.
You speaketh the truth!

At least the Yankees can lay claim to being the best team in baseball (for a time) and a handful of championchips.
By handful, you mean 27 right? ;)

Okay, you guys don't really expect me to defend King George do you? He really is the most obnoxoius owner in all of sports. But that's not MY fault! :angel

But not me CMJ, right? right? :cry

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:37:17 PM
No, I've met *much* worse through the years. Hell my best friend back home is arrogant as hell. How we both grew up in Ranger country and chose the Red Sox and Yanks as our teams is rather amazing. ;)

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:42:56 PM
I would assume Candians fans are arrogant with what 24(?) Stanley Cups to their resume.
You'd be surprised. Habs fans are proud of the 24 Cups, but they don't puff their chests the way Leafs fans do. They brag about being Canada's team (when no one outside of Toronto likes them, they point to tv ratings as the highest for the Leafs--no wonder, its by far the richest and largest city in Canada!), and every player on their team is a future hall of famer, even guys like Curtis Joseph and Tie Domi.

Habs' fans are more cynical now than boastful.

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:45:00 PM
Good, as long as I still have your respect I can live another day! :)

Oh, my prediction:
Cubs in 5
Yanks in 6

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:46:22 PM
My predictions: Cubs in 6, Sox in 6.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:48:38 PM
Good, as long as I still have your respect I can live another day! :)

Good to know I'm so well thought of. ;)

Oh, my prediction:
Cubs in 5
Yanks in 6

I think the fish have too much heart to roll over like that. Heck Pudge may win a game by himself.

There's no way you'll close us out at home. If the Yanks win it's in 5 or 7. :smokin

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2003, 12:57:04 PM
There's no way you'll close us out at home. If the Yanks win it's in 5 or 7.
My reasoning for a Game 6 clincher at Fenway is this; What's the most painful way for The Curse to wield its evil magic on the Sox faithful? By having the Yanks close out the series at Fenway. We're dealing with supernatural forces that can't be explained. It' not my fault, I DIDN'T SELL THE BAMBINO!!!

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:03:30 PM
No, the most painful way would be to blow a 2 run lead in the ninth inning of Game 7 on a 2 out/ 3 run homer by Giambi.

I might throw my TV out the window if that happens. :cry

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:06:37 PM
Despite how revered the Babe is, I hope that when the sox win, that evil spirits light his body on fire.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:10:46 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
Despite how revered the Babe is, I hope that when the sox win, that evil spirits light his body on fire.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:47:35 PM
I think (disdain for the Marlins' owners aside) the Marlins could be taken in 5 for 2 reasons: The dramatic fashion in which the SanFran series unfolded could leave them prone to a let down, and secondly, and more importantly, they cannot (No, they CAN'T) match the Cubs' pitching. Not even close. But guts do count in pro sports so who knows. I'm just saying that if the biggest thing you have going for you is your heart and grit, then you may be susceptible to being beated handily.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 04:59:34 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I think (disdain for the Marlins' owners aside) the Marlins could be taken in 5 for 2 reasons: The dramatic fashion in which the SanFran series unfolded could leave them prone to a let down, and secondly, and more importantly, they cannot (No, they CAN'T) match the Cubs' pitching. Not even close. But guts do count in pro sports so who knows. I'm just saying that if the biggest thing you have going for you is your heart and grit, then you may be susceptible to being beated handily.

I oh so want to agree with you, but being a fan of the lovable losers for most of my life, I'm not going to get boastful and overconfident about anything. ^_^;

Although, if Zambrano pitches well tonight and the Cubs win, I think their chances of winning the series do jump quite a bit.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:01:58 PM
Chicago jumps out to an early 4-0 lead.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:05:29 PM
Wow, huge 3 run HR by Ivan Rodriguez!

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:08:47 PM
HOLY COW, Cabrera and Encarcion just hit back to back homeruns. Man, I thought the Cubs had this game, and suddenly - WOW the Fish are in front.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:07:52 PM
Gonzolez with the 2-run shot to tie it up.

This might come down to the bottom of the ninth.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 08:33:51 PM
It's starting to look that way after the clutch hitting has disappeared....

Sene Unty
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:10:38 PM
and pudge knocks in two runs in the top of the ninth....SWEET!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:14:19 PM
Urbina coming up lets see if he blows it like he did with the Red Sox.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:15:52 PM
He's not under the curse anymore, of course he won't blow it!

Pudge is just playing out of his mind this playoff year. What a freak!

Sene Unty
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:16:30 PM
Alex Gonzalez has been sick on defense...did you see that sliding stop? MAN-o-MAN-o-MAN

Sene Unty
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:23:23 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ...........................Urbina just threw a two run home run......................

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:25:21 PM
See what did I tell you Urbina can never close the big games, I remember the games agains the Yankees he blew like this.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:26:01 PM
SOSA!

1-11, .091 in the postseason so far, and he crushed that one.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:26:10 PM
SAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time. Ramirez comes through last night, Sosa tonight.

Sene Unty
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:26:52 PM
they should check the bat....*grumbles*

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:30:31 PM
Originally posted by Sene Unty
they should check the bat....*grumbles*

Get over it, please. Urbina served that one up on platter for him. When a pitcher hangs a breaking ball, that's what happens. You don't have to be a Sosa or Bonds to hammer a pitch like that.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:47:07 PM
Lowell now hit a HR but the Marlins have Pavano another ex Red Sox ex Expo bum, lets see if he blows it :p

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:48:35 PM
Pavano is a bum. He's a frail baby, but he's no longer a Red Sox player, so he won't blow it.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:04:39 PM
Pavano didn't pitch which is why they won :p Still its only one game, I am certain the Cubs will win the next two with Prior and Wood going.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:07:07 PM
Huge game, by both squads. Man, this might be a classic series.

Pudge is gonna have a statue outaside Pro Player Stadium if he keeps this up.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:08:56 PM
Tough loss for the Cubs after battle back so many times, but credit the Marlins for timely hitting and being aggressive.

Puts more pressure on Prior and Wood to win the next two games.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:12:42 PM
They came back from a 4-0 deficit and they just outlasted the Cubs offense. Zambrano (nor Beckett) was particularly impressive, but it doesn't seem likely that Wood or Prior will be as weak.

Figrin D'an
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:19:34 PM
Yeah, that's true... big stage jitters.

When it comes to the Cubs, though, I'm conditioned to be pessimistic. :mneh

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:30:51 AM
Well what else do Cubs fans know? I wonder if there is anyone alive who remember the last Cubs world series victory? I doubt it.

Sene Unty
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:13:29 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Get over it, please. Urbina served that one up on platter for him. When a pitcher hangs a breaking ball, that's what happens. You don't have to be a Sosa or Bonds to hammer a pitch like that.

hmmmmmm........I have no idea how to respond to this seeing as how I was joking.....hmmmmmm.....whatever.

See you in game 2 :)

JediBoricua
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:03:20 AM
If the Fish steal one more game, from Wood or Prior, the series is over IMO.

Pudge is really a freak...and a freak with a bat, which is even worse.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:53:00 PM
As a whole, this has been one of the best post seasons I've ever seen. Great game last night. Those images of Sosa's ball landing on Waveland Avenue were classic. Man, Wrigley looks like a FANTASTIC place to see a playoff game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 01:42:09 PM
I don't think they will beat Wood they have never beaten him he has dominated them this year. Also I think they will be motivated tonight with Prior pitching. Also Boston and NY starts tonight, and we have good news Sox fans Kim got left off the roster :p I am glad don't want memories of him blowing leads like he did in the 01 WS.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:12:31 PM
Dare we say that Sammy is, "En Fuego!" ? Man, that was a MONSTER shot. Normally, 5 runs is more than Prior would need. But, the Marlins have been getting guys on base and they're scrappers, so it's still a ballgame. If the Cubs take this lead into the 8th Baker may want to pull Prior after 7 just to rest that arm for his next start.

And just to mock the Sox, I'm having chowder for dinner. New England Clam CHOWDA that is. :evil

Figrin D'an
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:16:45 PM
If the Cubs take this lead into the 8th Baker may want to pull Prior after 7 just to rest that arm for his next start.

Definately. They'll go with Farnsworth first, then Borowski if the Marlins are able to close the gap.

If Sammy gets into a groove, beware... regardless of whose staff it is.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:36:57 PM
7-0 Chicago right now they are sure hitting the ball well. 2-0 Boston, man what a shot Ortiz made :) And Wakefield has that knuckler going so far.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:54:16 PM
4-0 Boston, two more home runs. One was questionable Walker's hit the foul pole but there may have been fan inference. Manny's was a HR.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 07:56:26 PM
Note to self, no more NE Clam CHOWDA for the rest of this series. D'OH!

Mussina just doesn't have his stuff tonight. I wouldn't send him out for the 6th without having someone warming up. Hell, if the Yanks managed to get some runs in the bottom of the 5th, I'd pull him to try to win the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:01:51 PM
Wakefield has his stuff he is just dominating right now. Unless he starts struggling I leave him in there all night.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:08:28 PM
How about the 10-0 Cubs lead on the Marlins. I don't think they'll be coming back on this night. :)

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:20:56 PM
You gotta love Ed the "objective" Yankee fan. ;)

Ryan Pode
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:23:32 PM
Reminds me of '96 Oriole Pennant race... just on the Yankees now... Hooray!

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:32:17 PM
Good to see Ed doesn't see the world through pin striped colored glasses!

5-0 Boston! :rollin

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:41:31 PM
LOL yeah I loved the way McCarver pointed that out.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:55:49 PM
Uh-oh.....the bullpen is in action, with runners already on. I see trouble ahead....

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:57:28 PM
NO, ED WAS TELLING THE TRUTH!!! Stop slammin' my man Ed! :cry

Meanwhile, what the hell is Prior doing out in the 8th? He's already up to 113. You know he doesn't want to come out but Dusty should have put his foot down. Wait, here come the Yanks!

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:00:12 PM
Finally Baker pulls Prior. I don't know what took so long. The game is clearly out of reach, and you never know, you may need him again before the series is over....

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:09:58 PM
Still 5-2, at least Kim isn't around to blow the game, still a little worried, while the bullpen pitched great last series these are the Yankees.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:17:49 PM
Terrific inning from Timlin to get through those tough hitters.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:28:05 PM
Bottom of the 9th coming up, will they stay with Timiln or bring in Williamson?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2003, 09:43:21 PM
Sox Win game one. I am happy :) They did better than did in 99 when they blew game one in New York. Now Game two Lowe vs Petitte that game should be huge.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:43:33 AM
Why hasn't Kim been activatedd? He's one of the Yankees' most valuable players!

the Yanks need to win tonight. You can't have everything riding on Clemens' start at Fenway.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:00:58 AM
If the Yankees don't win tonight they are in BIG trouble. Clemens is going to hear the Boston fans on saturday that's for sure, and that can't help.

jjwr
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:01:29 AM
Oh I so hope the Yankee's lose this series. Something that evil should not be allowed to win, even the Empire lost in the end!

darth_mcbain
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:42:28 AM
I'm very happy that the Cubs and the Sox won last night. I really want to see the two of them in the Series - if it came down to that, I'd be going for the Cubs, but I'd be happy if either team won - they both deserve it.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 10:33:28 AM
If we win tonight - the Yankees are is serious trouble. I hope Lowe has his best stuff. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:10:32 AM
I know I hope so as well, Petitie is a good picture so I think it will be a tight game. Also about Kim, he got held out for a sore shoulder (wink wink). Seriously I hear he has no confidence in himself and I think that is the reason why he is not on the roster.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:13:48 AM
No, I believe it. From what I've heard on a Red Sox board he's had shoulder soreness for acouple of weeks now.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:48:52 AM
Some people on the ESPN board was saying he was left off for other reasons though (giving the finger to the Red Sox fans, his lack of condidence in himself, his problems with the Yanks). Of course all we can go by is what the SoX GM and Little say and they are say its a tight shoulder, the rest is just speculation and rumor.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:34:41 PM
I don't buy that he has a sore shoulder. I think Little had seen enough. Kim has no confidence in himself, and flipping the bird to the fans was a real no-no. He'd be a distraction on any field now. Everyone will try and get on his case and get him to create a stir by flipping more middle fingers. No, this guy was removed from the roster because he (A) sucks, and (B) this is no time for unnecessary distractions. I think he effectively got himself kicked off the team.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 04:21:03 PM
Great article on the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry from someone who has no vested interest in either team. Pretty good stuff...

East coast envy
By Eric Neel
Page 2 columnist

Despite the Schwarzenslide the other night, I'm still a California kid through and through. I've taken shots at the east and extolled the virtues of the west coast swing many a time on Page 2. So, it's with some trepidation that I admit the following: I envy the east this week.

More precisely, I envy the people of Boston and New York (and all their displaced brothers and sisters) who've got a rooting interest in the ALCS. Instead of watching the series from afar, I wish I was all twisted up in every sweaty-palmed pitch. I wish I had a dog in the fight, I wish ...

1. ... the curse (even though I know it isn't really a curse but a history) was squeezing my rooting heart and pounding in my loyal brain this week. It's bad to be under a bad sign, no doubt, and it hurts to live through year upon year of frustration. But there's a kind of nobility in bearing up under pain inflicted by the gods. The fates have scorned Sox fans, they've mocked them, they've shown them the promised land and then withdrawn it. And the fans, knowing deep in their bones that contempt is better than indifference, have withstood the onslaught and rallied themselves to hope and pray again and again, to say "Thank you, sir, may I have another." It's heroic, is what it is. (Only Anaheim fans out west ever had an inkling of what it takes, and their case, short-lived by comparison, has been cured now anyway.)

2. ... I felt the Yankee confidence. Outside Yankee nation, it looks cocky and it's everything we hate. So smug they are, so spoiled. But what must it be like to know you have 26 World Series titles in your back pocket? What must it be like to know Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle aren't abstractions or comic-book heroes, but the flesh-and-blood links in your team's chain from past to present? What must it be like to know, crazy as he is, that Steinbrenner's thirst for winning knows no bounds? It's got to feel good. It's got to give you a deep-breathed, deep-water sort of calm.

3. ... Fenway's musty odor and the Stadium's grime weren't tourist attractions to me but smells and touches I knew in my skin and my soul.

4. ... Pedro wasn't just the best pitcher in baseball but my guy, and that his wicked mechanics weren't just dazzling but moving, and that they weren't something to be admired but emulated, with throws at a fence out behind the house, mock wind-ups in line at the market, and follow-throughs in games of catch on the Commons grass.

5. ... Bucky Dent was a name I said in breathless tones, like parishioners whisper the names of saints and shamans sing the names of spirits.

6. ... I'd been through what it takes to forgive Buckner, Stanley and Schiraldi for their failings in October, '86. First comes the pain, right, and the pain is deep and searing, and you wander the streets like Lear out in the rain, rending garments and cursing the heavens. Then comes the living with it, the moving on, and you carry the hurt around like a lump of lard in your belly. It slows you, makes you feel queasy and dull. Finally, maybe years later, if your heart is true and your spirit willing, you find your way to forgiveness. You know they wanted what you wanted, you know they never meant to hurt you, and so you soften your hard heart to welcome them in and when you do it's a kind of release, a freedom that strengthens you and makes you ready, makes you hungry for the next shot at glory.

7. ... I felt loathing the way Red Sox and Yankees fans do for each other. I'm a Dodgers fan, and I've got plenty of venom for the Giants, and the Yanks, too, but the Boston-New York thing is of another, more concentrated order. If the Yankees were playing the A's right now, the locals would bring plenty of noise, I'm sure. And if the Sox were going heads-up with Minnesota, Fenway would no doubt be rockin'. But when they go toe-to-toe, a deep, nasty traditional bile bubbles up for Yanks and Sox fans. Guys are shouting and shouting each other down with an angry edge. They're fandom isn't a diffuse thing, it isn't a random energy, it's a white-hot beam of light looking to burn a hole straight through the opposition.

8. ... the series and the rivalry were a part of my family history, a thing handed down from one generation to the next. The Dodgers go way back, but their line is severed and shifted, from Brooklyn to L.A. There's a kind of rootlessness about rooting for them. In Boston and NYC, the bloodlines run 100 years straight and true.

9. ... I had a legit claim to wear one of either team's jerseys around the house on game night.

And 10. ... while I'd like to be a part of any of the eastern baseball buzz this week, in the end, I most wish I were a member of Red Sox Nation right now. Part of it is that I was on the losing end of the Reggie Jackson Yankee blitz in the late '70s and I'm still bitter, and part of it is that New York is always an overdog and I always lean more toward the speed-of-lightning-roar-of-thunder thing. But mostly, it's just this: Some year, maybe even this year, it's going to break. They're going to win the championship series and then the World Series, and the rush of feeling that'll go along with that, the flood of it, that's gonna be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Maybe if you're on the inside, it's not like any of this. Maybe it's too organic to spell out, too old to untangle and enumerate.

Watching this series unfold (and with my California teams all dead and buried out west), I sure wish I knew what it was like.

Eric Neel is a regular columnist for Page 2.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:06:10 PM
^^^

That is the best thing I've read all day.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:10:51 PM
Yeah, no kidding. One of the best columns I've read in some time.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:53:08 PM
1-0 Sox! Pettitte does not look sharp in the early innings...

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:56:32 PM
The Yanks get a 2 run HR...

And then has put up 1 more in the 3rd so far. :rolleyes

We didn't take advantage of our 6 hits early.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:05:18 PM
And they tack on another one...looks like we're going back to Boston 1-1.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:13:45 PM
Tek just hit a HR in the 6th...we're still hanging around!

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:33:21 PM
That's it for Petite. He pitched a good game and added to his post season success. He hasn't been automatic, but he's won some big games for the Yankees over the years. Torre just needs his bullpen to finish off the inning and get him to the 8th. Rivera should be more than rested enough to give him 2 innings. And that's been the key to the Yankees' success over these last few years. Rivera and that wicked cutter. When he has that pitch going he's just brutal. Lot of game left, but it's been a much better NY effort than last night....

There's the inning. Good job by Contreras. I'd march him out for the 8th just to see what he's got. As good as Rivera is, I'd much rather have him for 1, than 2 innings.

Great article CMJ. It's a good look at both sides. That Reggie reference brings back so many memories. Just about every jersey I ever wore was a 44. :cool

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:53:01 PM
Two run double in the bottom of the 7th...things appear *very* grim now.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:00:54 PM
It would take a heck of a come back. Still if they are tied at 1 I am satisfied really, we are in better shape than in 99 down 0-2. I think Pedro will pitch a heck of a game Saturday, if we can somehow win Sunday and Monday in Boston we win the series.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:02:02 PM
The odds still favor the Yankees. I don't see us sweeping the set in Fenway - and no road team has clinched a series in Yankee Stadium since the Dodgers in 1981.

o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:05:38 AM
We could sweep them at home I am hopeful at least. Hey I am an enternal optimist.

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2003, 06:23:49 AM
Its now a five game series with the Sox having home field Advantage, I could see them taking 2 in Fenway and returning to Yankee stadium with it all on the line. They've played great at Yankee stadium all year. If Little had used a bit of small ball in those first few innings they could have been up by more than 1-0 but he'd rather let him just go out and swing. They really should have tacked a few on.

They're in good shape though, asking them to sweep the first two was a bit much, especially after 3 games on the road. A day of rest and Pedro should be enough for a 2-1 lead.

JMK
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:07:58 AM
It's a 50-50 shot right now. They both have weaknesses which can creep up at any time and kill them.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2003, 05:17:24 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Hey I am an enternal optimist.
And this baseball fans, is the DEFINITION of a Boston Red Sox fan. :thumbup
I'm really looking forward to tonight and tomorrow. Wood has done really well against the Fish this year and tomorrow's pitching match could be a classic. SWEEEEET

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2003, 06:55:53 PM
Actually its not most Red Sox fans are pessimists :p I am just odd.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:19:21 PM
Yeah, they're pessimists in October, but hope springs eternal every Spring. ;)

Well, this game hasn't dissapointed. Redman has hung in there after a shaky start. 2-1 in the 7th.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2003, 09:03:44 PM
WOW, that was a BOMB by Simon. What a game! I know there are 70,000 at Pro Player and it sounds like a good 20,000 of them are Cubs fans. These last 2 innings are going to be nail biters.

Figrin D'an
Oct 10th, 2003, 09:13:47 PM
With these two bullpens... yeah, it's gonna be a nail-biter.

Figrin D'an
Oct 10th, 2003, 10:35:50 PM
Wow... pretty crazy game... huge baserunning mistake by Castilla, but it payed off for the Cubbies.

They had to win Game 3, with Wood being the starter. Even if they don't get credit for the win, they HAVE to win when Wood and Prior start.

Big, big win.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2003, 10:37:19 PM
Huge baserunning mistake by the Marlins. 2 outs you have to make sure the 3rd baseman makes the play at first. You can't be taking off trying to sneak in behind him. That was a tough way for the game to end.

The Cubs got their 2 wins with their 2 young guns on the mound. Now, which lesser known starter is going to come up big?

Figrin D'an
Oct 10th, 2003, 10:43:11 PM
The Cubs got their 2 wins with their 2 young guns on the mound. Now, which lesser known starter is going to come up big?

Clement goes tomorrow, and he usually pitches the Marlins pretty tough (he used to be with the Marlins), but hasn't pitched well lately. Zambrano comes back for Game 5.

The bullpen just scares me... Remlinger pitched well to close out the game tonight, but everyone else is.... shakey. Even Borowski hasn't looked good in his last two outings, which is a major concern.

Figrin D'an
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:48:30 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/baseball/6977710.htm

hehe... gotta love Dave Barry. :)

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 07:18:18 AM
I thought I heard that Dusty had sent Zambrano to the bullpen. He's really struggled in the post season. He pitched well during the second half of the season but we haven't seen the same guy in the post.

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 07:23:23 AM
HITTING THE WALL

Does this make any sense? Let's say you're at a restaurant, and you see a man stagger away from the bar and walk directly into the wall, mistaking it for a door, banging his face and falling down, only to pick himself up and walk into the wall again, and then again, over and over. Would you say to yourself: ``I admire that man! He is loyal to the tactic of walking into the wall, in the hope that it eventually will turn into a door!'

No! You'd say: ``He must be a Cubs fan.''

Ha ha! I'm kidding, of course: A true Cubs fan would never leave the bar. But my point is that we South Florida fans deserve some credit for displaying discretion. Yes, we're loyal to our local teams. But if, after a reasonable period of loyalty -- generally, two days -- we perceive that a given local team is unlikely to win a national or world championship, we drop that team like a used napkin and move on to another team, or another sport, or a mall.

Where would the world be without satire. Yoda, how I love it so. :cool

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:42:21 AM
IT'S TIME FOR A WAGER SOX FANS!!!!!

We're heading into a pivotal game. Boston's past and present face off to determine its future! (Damn, is this a Trek episode or a playoff game?) The bet should be a sig bet IMO. If the Yanks win CMJ and Carr need to post a sig with this phrase;
"The Curse of the Bambino LIVES!" If a picture of the Bambino can be thrown it'll be all that much sweeter. If the Sox beat the Yanks then I'll post something along the lines of; "The Evil Empire has been defeated, long live the Red Sox!" And I'll try to throw in an image of a flustered Steinbrenner. The sigs will have to be worn for the remainder of the MLB playoffs.

Well boys, any takers? :evil

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2003, 10:27:07 AM
Man, I don't know - I think the Yankees will probably win the series.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:41:10 AM
You though Oakland was going to win the last series :p You not what Jedieb I will do it, I mean I usually don't bet but that is when money is involved, and the sig isn't as bad as the one Marcus had to endure :p

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:53:59 AM
Carr=bravery
CMJ=COWARDICE

Obviously, you still haven't recovered from our last sig bet. What a pity. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 12:11:15 PM
Have to get Kyle to make the sigs for us

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:37:14 PM
Yeah, Carr I *did* think we would lose to Oakland after we went down 0-2. I bet 90% of people did.

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 02:03:46 PM
C'mon, is it a YES or a no? You can't let Carr go into this bet by himself! :)

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 02:09:34 PM
Clemens
He had more than enough wins and strikeouts this year to remove any doubt that he could still come back next year and pitch. I know some people would love for him to reconsider his retirement, but I'm not one of them. The Rocket is going out on HIS terms. Like he's said, what else does he left to accomplish? What else does he have to prove? Do we want him to come back ala Jordan? I think if he walks away now, with gas left in the tank, he ends his career on a high note. Regardless of whether or not he wins today. Not many people can go out like Elway, the Rocket should stick to his guns and call it quits this year.

But hey, he only signed a one year deal. What if the Red Sox came calling after this season....

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2003, 03:07:08 PM
Over the Monster and through the woods....
2-2
Both pitchers are making mistakes. One of these guys may not make it past 5 or 6 innings.

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2003, 03:54:59 PM
Nice brawl.

Can defintely smell the bad blood.

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:47:35 PM
...And the Sox go down 4-3. We're definitely up against it now....

Figrin D'an
Oct 11th, 2003, 06:14:55 PM
Grand Slam for Aramis Ramierez!

4-0 Cubbies in the top of the first. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 08:58:08 PM
Boston will need to win the next two home games to have a chance. They can do it I think, Hey maybe they play better when they are behind. I can't give up, I am too much of an optimist, you see I am an odd Sox fan :p

Figrin D'an
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:03:23 PM
Cubs win, 8-3. Clement pitched great, and the Cubs jumped on Dontrell Willis early. Getting the early lead made Clement relax quite a bit, methinks.

3-1 series lead for the Cubbies. Even if they lose tomorrow, it's back to Wrigley with Prior starting Game 6.

Man, I can almost smell the World Series now. :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:07:16 PM
I hope the Cubs make it that way I know I will have a team to root for :p Seriously the cubs looked great tonight there is just something about this team, they remind me of the Angels last year.

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:18:27 PM
The Cubs are basically lock to get there at this point. I didn't think they'd be able to sweep the games in Miami - but it looks very probable now.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2003, 09:58:49 PM
I would never say a lock just very likely, I can't see the Marlins beating Wood and Prior.

Doc Milo
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:19:30 PM
Well the Yankees/Red Sox series has taken a nasty turn.

First Pedro throws a 70-something Zimmer to the ground (who was later taken to the hospital on a stretcher for observations -- thankfully he'll be okay.) Then that brawl in the bullpen has two Yankees, Kareem Garcia and Jeff Nelson, who may face criminal charges of assault and battery.

Manny Ramirez really stirred something up -- charging the mound on a pitch that was no where even close to him. Yes, the pitch was high, but the replay shows that it was pretty much right down the center of the plate!

Figrin D'an
Oct 11th, 2003, 11:43:56 PM
As much as we can lay blame on several players (and coaches... *coughZimmercough*) for the extra-curriculars that took place at Fenway today, the umps need to take some responsibility for letting it get out of hand. I know they don't want to make "controversial decisions" in the post-season that may affect the outcome of a game, but they needed to toss a few people from the game after that bench-clearing brawl. Send a message that, even though it's the post-season, such things aren't going to be allowed to occur consequence-free.

The Devil
Oct 12th, 2003, 01:02:06 AM
Manny and Zimmer really should've been tossed.

Kudos to Pedro for defusing a situation. Put Zimmer on the ground, and walk away. I thought that was about as gracious as he could've done it, seeing that Zimmer was charging and ready to pummel his face.

Manny...(sigh)...he was looking for a fight. That ball wasn't even close to him.

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2003, 08:47:55 AM
Kudos to Pedro for defusing a situation.
WHAT? He STARTED the whole thing! IMO, Zimmer and Pedro should have BOTH been tossed. Zimmer was wrong for charging Pedro, but after Pedro pointing to his head and telling the Yanks he was going to hit them in the head he was understandably ticked off. This is a guy that was almost KILLED by a pitch to the head back in the 50's. He was unconscious for 2 weeks and later had to have a metal plate inserted into his head because of his injuries. So think of everything Zimmer had going on in his head;
I almost got killed by a pitch to the head.
Pedro hit 2 of my guys earlier in the year and sent one of them to the hospital (Jeter.)
He just hit one of my guys by DELIBERATELY throwing behind him.
He just pointed to his head and said he'd do it again.
I think it's time for me to take my 72 year old carcass, metal plate, and surgically repaired knees and kick some butt!:rolleyes

Again, Zimmer should have been tossed for charging him. But Pedro should have followed him right out of the game. And do we even have to point out that Manny overreacted? The irony is that the one guy who stayed composed throughout the entire incident was Clemens. There's a shocker!:cool

Charley
Oct 12th, 2003, 12:00:50 PM
You obviously missed his little exchange of words, then.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2003, 12:05:12 PM
Honestly I blame the Umps for that mess you got to control the game better than that. Still it shows the bad blood between teams lets hope it doesn't get any worse.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2003, 03:16:18 PM
As much as I'm pulling for the Red Sox, they're making it very hard for me to continue on their side. With Lowe's punking of the A's bench, Pedro's antics, Manny's walk to first base...they're not acting very professional at all. I'm not out of their camp yet, but soon I'll be too unimpressed with them to stick with them. I'm not ragging on Pedro, as I believe Zimmer got off light, he should have known his place. But this series is quickly heading to the crapper for me.

Now the Cubs on the other hand...:crack

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:08:09 PM
Yesterday was not a good day to be a fan of either the Yankees or the Red Sox IMHO. Neither side acted very professionally to me.

Florida/Chicago Game 5 is a HELLUVA game so far(in the 5th iniing). I love pitcher's duels. :D

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:26:16 PM
Wow, what a pitching performance by Josh Beckett. It's up to the Cubs aces now.

Figrin D'an
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:32:15 PM
Looks like no Game 4 tonight in the ALCS... rained out.

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:37:32 PM
Which is *definitely* a good thing - now we can pitch Wakefield tommorrow and Lowe on Tuesday.

Ted Williams must be beating the Babe somewhere. ;) Maybe the curse is taking a hit.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:38:35 PM
I think it's just mamma nature doing her part to help the Sox.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2003, 08:56:48 PM
LOL yeah I didn't like the idea of Burkett going today. I think if it goes 7 I send Wakefield out there again he can go on very little rest.

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2003, 06:44:37 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
You obviously missed his little exchange of words, then.

No I didn't. Clemens kept his composure by not throwing at Ramirez or any Red Sox hitter. What the hell was he suppose to do when Manny started walking toward him with a bat in his hand and shouting expletives, wish him a Merry X-Mas? He basically told him to get a grip, the pitch wasn't at his head. Then he proceeded to punch him out and Ramirez went down with a swing that would have embarrased my grandmother. Then later he got him to ground out into a DP. That's keeping your composure. Pointing at your head after throwing behind a guy's head ISN'T. And from the dugout everyone was talking smack, but I I didn't see Clemens pointing to his head the way Pedro was. Hell, Posada was more animated in that dugout than CLemens was and he had every reason to be. Bottom line, which pitcher got fined? Which pitcher was called 'gutless' on ESPNRadio this morning? Which one started the whole thing by hitting a guy because he wasn't pitching well and losing? It wasn't the one who kept his composure, it was PEDRO.