Thread: The Scribe's Apprentice: The Waltz of Treachery

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Sith The Scribe's Apprentice: The Waltz of Treachery

Two days following the disastrous confrontation with Zem which had cost her the life of her son, s'Il had sequestered herself in the privacy of hers and Dan's quarters. Any work that she'd been given was done from there, and any contact she had with the outside world was one of sullen and controlled grief. As a result, those who communicated with her were sure to keep their messages brief out of simple consideration. Her metabolism had allowed her a shorter stay in the medbay than normal, and once more her figure had returned, the fetus removed. There was no ceremony, as she'd refused such a thing. Instead, the unborn child had been set to rest in a small coffin and ejected into the vacuum of space.

She hadn't even watched as it was released.

Why didn't you protect him?

Dan's words still haunted her, and bit deep into her core. By some miracle she had brought Zem back, but the price of her fanatical obedience was far higher than she could have ever expected. In her mind, Zem had not only refused to return Teagan, but he had taken away her son, as well. Both of her children were now gone, and the Lupine sank deeper into a despair that swallowed her whole.

Only the thought that Zem was here now, in custody for 'attacking' the General's counsel, seemed to keep her afloat. It gave her hope still that he would tell them where Teagan had been taken.

The lights in hers and Dan's quarters were dim, and as the evening hour approached she found herself moving about stiffly. There was soreness still from her hurried operation, but she was on her feet once more at least. Into the bedroom, and then the fresher to stand in front of the mirror.

Her loose silk shirt was lifted to expose her midsection, and wistfully s'Il ran a palm over the healing stitches across her abdomen. She stared at herself, at what had once been a budding life, now nothing but a memory. She could still feel those desperate hands reaching out to her in the Force.

Why didn't you protect him?

Her eyes closed and she let her shirt fall. Had she only but known that his would be the outcome of that endeavor. She had tried; she had poured every last ounce of her strength into keeping the child alive, and in the end, even with Dan's power, it had not been enough.

Leaning on the countertop over the sink, the Lupine bowed her head, her hair falling forward to obscure her face, and ever so slowly she sank to her knees.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I know Kung Fu, and orifices

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    "Stand up."

Dan had opened the door to the quarters, stepping in from a taxing day in a string of several. He looked weary and grim, his hair pulled back into a taut knot as he unbuttoned his pips.

"I want to see your face."

He could feel the grief and despair roiling off of her, and above it all he knew that these feelings would bind her fast to his side.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Slow to rise, s'Il obeyed without a word. Her hair was brushed back without hurry, and with a deep breath she turned her eyes up to look at him. She would forever hear those words; forever feel the blame for their loss in his voice.

She stared at him.

What could she possibly say? What few words they'd spoken to each other had been minimal at best, and she grew fearful of each day that passed, of the punishment he would make her endure.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "We can't spend forever in grief. I hurt, and I know you do as well. We have to persevere."

Dan slipped out of his coat and tossed it onto the bed.

"I want you by my side, in good times and in bad. We'll endure this, and be better for it."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

What was this?!

Far from what she'd expected, s'Il stared at him in confusion. Was she truly hearing him correctly?

The Lupine took a step out from the fresher and into the bedroom, wringing her hands. She still remembered Zem's words, that her master would use and discard her, but surely that was not true. He'd spent decades waiting for her, and even after this new tragedy he was showing mercy. Rather than the retribution she'd expected, her master spoke with words of comfort.

Stiffly, she fell to her hands and knees at his feet, head bowed.

"Forgive me, please, Master."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "You must promise to do what I say, and never falter from me."

He caressed her head as she knelt prostrate before him.

"Only this way can we punish the Jedi for what they have taken from us, and secure our family's place in the galaxy."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"Anything," she answered without hesitation.

If her loyalty was already unquestionable before, it was firmly resolute now. She had latched onto him like some lifeline, weaving herself in and around his presence to become a single entity.

She lifted her eyes at his touch, searching his grim features.

"What will you do with Zem?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Difficult to say."

He massaged a temple as he considered the possibilities.

"It will be difficult to simply kill him now, with him being held on an Alliance ship. It would raise too many questions."

He considered the options further.

"Torture would be more subtle, but unlikely to succeed against a Jedi. For whatever his failings, Zem Vymes has very deep convictions."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

s'Il rocked back on her haunches to look up at his face. She watched for a short time as he eased whatever pain in his head, and slowly she rose to her feet. A hand went out to lightly grasp the fabric of his shirt, rubbing the material between two idle fingers.

"You are stronger than he is, and it is your right to confront him for what he's done to us. He will tell you where our daughter is when faced with your power... "

A sharp inhaled breath and the Lupine tightened her grip on his arm as her voice, still threatening to crack, became a low, angered growl.

"You are stronger, my Lord. Stronger than all of them."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "And what about you? As my apprentice, you should be every bit as strong as I am?"

He locked eyes with hers.

"Put right what has been done wrong to us. Interrogate him however you think best. Put right my faith in your prowess and you will be greatly rewarded."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

For a split second she balked at his order, unsure of her own strength in the face of her previous defeat. Uncertainty was rapidly replaced by a growing determination then, knowing that it was her duty to obey. It was her duty to carry out his wishes and desires. Bound to him as she was, there was no other choice. His mercy in the aftermath of her failure to keep safe their children drew her ever closer, yet to hear him speak aloud that his own faith in her had been shaken was nearly devastating. Above all, his approval, trust, and companionship she craved hungrily. If he were to deprive her of such, she would be truly broken.

"I will do anything for you."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    He nodded.

"I know you will. I don't place my trust in you lightly. Again and again you prove yourself worthy of it.

There is another matter at hand. The apprehension of Vymes was not entirely discrete. We may have to answer questions from the Jedi on this."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

At that she moved away, stepping past him to take up his uniformed jacket from the bed. Smoothing the wrinkles, s'Il busied herself with drawing open the closet door and taking out an empty hanger. She looked back to Dan before placing the jacket amidst rows of other clothing.

"You were the one who drove the wedge between him and his faith further when this all began. The Purge had begun it, but you were the one to continue. And once he left, he fell away completely. He became a murderer, killing for money and the Bloodline knows what else."

The jacket was hung, and the closet door closed.

"And now? He has attacked a fellow Jedi; he has caused the loss of the child - " she clamped her mouth shut, jaw muscles working to control still tender wounds.

Moving to stand at the foot of their bed, she went on.

"... the loss of the child belonging to one of the Alliance's most stalwart and loyal Generals and his Jedi counsel. He has betrayed the trust that was given to him in looking after our daughter."

Her hands clenched into angry fists.

"I do not think he will be seen with favour among our peers."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Dan smiled.

"Then we are of one mind on this. See to it that whatever reputation he has amongst his peers lies in ruin. We don't need to kill Zem Vymes, just his name."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The Lupine blinked, and slowly lowered herself to sit on the bed. Her gaze drawn to Dan, she folded her hands in her lap. There was a dangerous light in her eye, and a tinge of yellow began to creep into her normally blue iris.

"The time will come when he will die."

Her body tensed, and in a moment of minor pain s'Il shifted a hand to her middle.

"And when that time comes, I want him to suffer at your hands."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Of that, you can be certain."

He looked at Lok with a determined expression.

"Soon, the time will come when our plans against Vymes and the other Jedi can be carried forward in the open. He will die."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

The next morning brought with it a sense of renewal for s'Il, and she went about her duties with determined vigor. Dan's forgiveness did well to set her reeling emotions upon their shared path once again, and his shared pain in their loss swept away Zem's damning words. Her master would not discard her, and he would not discard Teagan. The old Jedi would see how wrong he'd been.

By midday she had prepared herself for seeing Zem, determination in her eye.

It was not often that she found herself on the Dauntless' detention level, but given the crew's knowledge of her past relationship with their Jedi prisoner, it had been expected that she'd arrive at some point to speak with Vymes. Standing tall, the Lupine wore her off-white Jedi robes with pride, cutting a serene yet sorrowful figure. Whereas three days previous she'd been in the midst of carrying her child, now she was without, her nearly healed midriff flat once more.

The guard on duty gave her an understanding nod as he opened Zem's cell door, and for a moment she stood in the threshold. Half of the cell had been hurriedly fitted with a universal energy cage so that the Jedi would have no chance of escape. It provided enough room for him to utilize what comfort could be found in half a detention cell.

Resolute, s'Il stepped inside, and as the door closed behind her, she folded her hands into the wide sleeves of her robe. For a long moment s'Il stared at him, her features devoid of emotion.

"You've stolen both of my children from me."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem sat on his cot, a patina of stubble darkening his face, as his captors were concerned that even the means of a shave would be a liberty too far. It was an ironic situation.

The words she spoke did not surprise him.

"I mourn your son's passing."

He met her eyes from where he sat.

"And I understand. It is convenient to blame me. You must do what you think is right."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"His death would not have happened if you had come with me."

Disregarding his last words, s'Il moved to stand closer to the energy field separating them. She paid no attention to his ragged appearance, her gaze instead locked with his.

"Where is Teagan."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Zem's answer to her was silence. He looked past her.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast