Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: London 2012 Olympics

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Oh, Andy Murray. How sweet does it feel to beat Roger Federer in the final at Wimbledon? Poetic isn't the word!

And now he's about to compete in the mixed doubles final, too. That's a hardy Scot for you!
    Federer looked tired, but Andy absolutely gave him everything and it was great to see him overcome one of Tennis's best.

It's nice to see the hosting country do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyran O'Hurn View Post
    Not a huge soccer (football) fan, but Canada's women's team got hosed. I'll admit the winning goal was a thing of beauty, but the penalty that let the American's tie it up was BS...

Hopefully they didn't leave too much out on the field and have enough to go for Bronze.
    More specifically, it wasn't the penalty call, but the bizarre indirect free kick call against the Canadian goalie for holding the ball too long before putting it into play. I'm only a casual fan myself, but I had never heard of such a thing, and it seemed that neither had the commentators. At the time, nothing about the goalie's ball-handling seemed excessive to me, especially considering the kind of pathological clock-milking you see in every soccer match ever.

If the US team had really earned a free kick from inside the penalty area, I wouldn't have minded the handball call so much. But the whole situation seemed to be manufactured by the ref. It's the sort of call I'd expect a team like Brazil to get, which made me feel incredibly skeevy. It's a shame, especially when both teams put on such a heroic effort.

It's not the US team's fault, and Alex Morgan's winning goal in the 123rd minute was epic. But I would have liked to see if they could have tied the game on their own in the waning minutes of regulation. I'm obviously still rooting for the US women to get the gold, but I genuinely feel bad for the Canadian players and their fans. If they play as well against France as they did against the US, the bronze match should be a massacre.
    Last edited by Dragon; Aug 6th, 2012 at 09:02:00 PM.

Kyran O'Hurn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyran O'Hurn View Post
    Not a huge soccer (football) fan, but Canada's women's team got hosed. I'll admit the winning goal was a thing of beauty, but the penalty that let the American's tie it up was BS...

Hopefully they didn't leave too much out on the field and have enough to go for Bronze.
    More specifically, it wasn't the penalty call, but the bizarre indirect free kick call against the Canadian goalie for holding the ball too long before putting it into play. I'm only a casual fan myself, but I had never heard of such a thing, and it seemed that neither had the commentators. At the time, nothing about the goalie's ball-handling seemed excessive to me, especially considering the kind of pathological clock-milking you see in every soccer match ever.

If the US team had really earned a free kick from inside the penalty area, I wouldn't have minded the handball call so much. But the whole situation seemed to be manufactured by the ref. It's the sort of call I'd expect a team like Brazil to get, which made me feel incredibly skeevy. It's a shame, especially when both teams put on such a heroic effort.

It's not the US team's fault, and Alex Morgan's winning goal in the 123rd minute was epic. But I would have liked to see if they could have tied the game on their own in the waning minutes of regulation. I'm obviously still rooting for the US women to get the gold, but I genuinely feel bad for the Canadian players and their fans. If they play as well against France as they did against the US, the bronze match should be a massacre.
    Yeah the indirect kick is what I was talking about. In terms of the penalty kick, everything I heard/read after seemed to agree that it was a "ball to hand" vs. "hand to ball", and that usually if the ball is wailed at you (like it is on a free kick) and hits your hand/arm because you can't get out of the way it's not usually called, versus sticking your hand out and hitting the ball, but obviously it wouldn't have come to that if it hadn't been for the initial "delay of game" call.

I think the biggest issue was that the officiating was inconsistent the entire game. There were calls that should have been made against both sides that weren't and calls that were made that made no sense.

Mind you strange/controversial/random officiating seems like par for the course in soccer.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    Never gets old when the commentators in the velodrome say "Here comes D'Hoore of Belgium!"

Edit: Laura Trott, I think I love you! Twenty years old, and two gold medals from her first olympic games, and she's cute as a button! Well in, Trotty!

Edit: Sixth gold for Chris Hoy! What a legend! There's nothing like the excitement of the velodrome. Love it!

It's a shame that Victoria Pendleton couldn't go out quite on top, but a gold and a silver from her final olympic games is an excellent way to go out. She was understandably emotional in the end, but incredibly gracious, what a classy lady.
    Last edited by Droo; Aug 7th, 2012 at 11:16:28 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Amazing.. amazing amazing amazing. Honestly, I'm still reeling from the Ennis/Rutherford/Farah triple triumph.

Team GB, you are doing us all so proud

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Someone please explain the race in the velodrome where they go super slow until the last instant. It makes no sense.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Someone please explain the race in the velodrome where they go super slow until the last instant. It makes no sense.
    They're trying to position themselves. The trailing rider has the advantage because they can slip stream off the front rider to fly past them at the end. So, in the race you mention the rider in front (Rider A for this discussion) is trying to either force the trailing rider (Rider B) to the front position --- so then Rider A would be able to draft off of Rider B.

OR Rider A is trying to create a gap of some sort, where Rider B cannot get into a slip stream position.
    Last edited by CMJ; Aug 8th, 2012 at 05:10:36 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    I have to admit, there's a bunch of cuties on the Great Britain field hockey squad. And I learned that there's men's field hockey. My brothers and I laughed for a while after that.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

A gold... in Taekwondo... for Team GB!? Get in, Jade Jones!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I love the diversity of the sports that we're medalling in!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Last day today! Closing ceremony starts at 9pm GMT and is supposed to be a celebration of Brit music

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Watching the footage of Tom Daley from yesterday got me all emosh, and to see his reaction, overjoyed, beaming from ear to ear and jumping into the pool with his coaches and friends - and that was just for a bronze medal! What will this lad do when, not if, he gets a gold is anyone's guess, but that's a wonderful way to end the games, none of this sour-faced feet-dragging over not getting the gold. This is the olympic spirit, and having followed him since Beijing when he was just fourteen years old, even in the replay today I felt I was sharing in the pride of the nation.

Edit: And I love this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Droo; Aug 12th, 2012 at 05:50:55 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ^ Possibly my favorite shot of the Games

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Closing Ceremony about to begin and already I feel all

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    You're welcome, world

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aYtpL5YhWOQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aYtpL5YhWOQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Team GB

As always, I am sad to see the Olympics end, but kinda happy I can get my life back. I probably watched over 8 hours A DAY of coverage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12