Thread: Eviction Notice

L'Vek Darkivven

Open Thread Eviction Notice

A rush of air blew through the back alley behind the always welcoming Green Star, a moderately acceptable establishment to get a drink in the depths of Coruscant. The breeze kicked up trash and dust which hadn't been disturbed for weeks. Immediately a smell of disgust from the alley burst into the common walkway and sent hands, paws, what have you, to cover noses. Nearly all who were on the path quickened they're pace to get away except for a few who couldn't sense the horrid stench and the one man who had to venture into the alley.

L’Vek took a deep breath as he took the first step into the poorly lit alley. He swallowed down a gulp of the air to keep from vomiting due to the smell. A few more deep breaths through the nose and the urge to hurl lessened. He moved deeper into the alley, stepping over piles of garbage, each foot fall hushed by the amount of dust. It began to cake to the bottom of the his boots. His attention was directed to the sky as a hawkbat screeched and dove into the allay. The rush of air had brushed garbage off a young granite slug busy gnawing away at the alley surface, the hawkbat swooping in to make a meal of it.

Well passed the back of the Green Star now L’Vek turned and walked into a wall, or rather what appeared to be a wall. The wonders of holoprojection. He scraped the bottom of his boots along the floor grating on the other side. He was now in a large warehouse practically empty except for a power generator below him providing energy to the holosystem, a lift shaft directly opposite, and a small ship, center, surrounded in work tables covered in parts. After cleaning much of the dirt off he moved along the grate walkway and down a set of stairs then strolled across to the ship. He knocked on the hull.

"Hijin. You in there?"

The sound of sparking electricity followed by a snap could be heard. Boots then clanked on deck plating, getting louder as the wearer neared the hatch. A furry blue head stuck out quickly looking left then right. Eyes catching the man leaning against the hull, the creature grinned then jumped out standing a full meter in height.

“I’m just about finished with that ship.” The squib rubbed his hands on his pants hopped on a work table with enough room for him to sit, “Another day or two tinkering in there and I can sleep, for now caf is all I need.”

“Thank space for caf.” L’Vek said moving off the hull and standing straight.

“So L’Vek do you have the credits?” Hijin’s voice becoming more serious, he still had a cheerful look about him.

L’Vek moved his left arm and scratched the back of his head. “Yes and no. I’ve got the job to get the credits. There is just the matter of finishing it.”

“Then why the hell are you standing in my shop.” The squib shouted as his pleasant smile exchanged with a snarl, “I need credits if you want your ship.”

“You’ll get your-“

The system running the lift turned on and both men looked to it. L’Vek drew his side arm and Hijin grabbed a small hold-out blaster from within his work jacket. They both moved to the side of the ship out of sight of the lift and looked to each other.

L’Vek whispered, “Isn’t it locked up there?”

The squib replied silently, “Yeah. No one should be able to get access up there. I always keep it locked. If I go out, it’s through the alley. This place is registered to be closed.”

“Maybe someone decided to buy this place to make a business repairing ships.”

“Haha. Shut up. The lift is nearly here.”

Both men were ready on the other side of the ship, safeties off. The lift hit bottom and the controls for it switched over to the panel in the bay, a buzz signaling the transfer was complete. Heavy boots stepped off the lift and onto the ferrocrete floor. The sound of safeties on guns snapping back echoed throughout the warehouse. The hearts in both men began to race as steps falling in uniform came closer.
    Last edited by L'Vek Darkivven; May 5th, 2007 at 05:47:49 AM.

L'Vek Darkivven
    Two brutish human males came into view each with weapons aimed at the heads of the two behind the ship. They wore black jackets over dark grey shirts and black pants. Black shades covered their eyes. Lack of any Imperial symbols, although while dressed in uniform, suggested they weren't of legal authority but of organized crime.

"Drop your weapons." Ordered the man standing nearer both L'Vek and Hijin. "Now!"

The weapons clanked on the ground and rattled as they were kicked away. The Squib began to shake terribly with his eyes closed when he heard the other man pick up the weapons. Hijin started mumbling to himself about his life as the thought that this may be the end crept into his mind.

"Who are you and what are you doing in this place?" The lead man demanded his finger steady over the trigger of the gun aimed now at L'Vek's stomach. The other man assumed a position behind L'Vek after disabling the blasters he'd collected by removing their power cells.

"I'm a bounty hunter, this Squib is a mechanic, and he is working on my ship here." L'Vek said jerking a thumb to the craft beside him.

The man smirked. "Excellent, so no one will miss you." He said with please leveling the blaster back up to L'Vek's head. The Squib squeaked when he heard those words and he dashed into the ship. A trail of blaster fire from behind followed him leaving scorch marks along the hull.

This sudden action set the first man off, he fired two shots toward L'Vek's head but L'Vek was already ducking and rolling away. The bolts clipped the man's twin in the shoulder and sent him reeling back in pain. The wounded man screamed when he fell and his seared flesh came in contact with the post of a work table. The other man, not caring that he had just shot his partner, swivelled around and fired in the direction L'Vek had moved. His shots missed horribly. A thick metal casing came in return and smashed into the man's extended arm sending the gun it was holding away.

L'Vek was quick to scramble to the fallen man and nab his weapon. When he had it aimed at the other fellow, the man had managed to get a hand over his own blaster. However he wasn't quick enough to get a shot off before L'Vek had sank a blaster bolts sizzling through his chest. The man behind L'Vek stirred and tried to trip him forward on his face but failed. L'Vek turned and fired a shot into the man's foot. He howled and L'Vek slammed the pistol across his face to knock him out.

"I think the fighting's over Hijin. You can come out." L'Vek shouted.

A jittery hand poked out with an activated laser cutter streaming patterns of light about up and down. "You're sure. I was just about to come out and save your sorry behind."

L'Vek laughed. "You're timing is off. The guy that shot at you is out for now. I thought you may want to question him, and get him back for shooting at you."

L'Vek Darkivven
    A half hour after the scrap and the shop looked like it had before, with the addition of two men in black. One a corpse, the other a prisoner. The dead man was laying be the stairway, his pockets emptied and jacket over his face. Nothing was on his person but credit stick and a key to a swoop bike. L’Vek had pocketed both items. The dead man’s, living, accomplice was bound in a chair and gagged. Still unconscious he sat behind the ship's engine block, out of sight for now.

Pleased with the fact they were alive and victorious, both L’Vek and Hijin sat inside the ship and enjoyed a bottle of ale. There voices and laughs echoed through the ship’s interior as they downed glass after glass of alcohol.

“You’re such a coward, Hijin.”

“Am not. I’m intelligent.”

“Yup, nearly got the guy with your pay cheque shot. Smart.”

“I knew you’d take advantage, and kick their asses.”

“And did I ever. That guy is still out of it.”

Laughter having subsided each man decided it was time to let the alcohol settle by taking a nap. Half an hour later a banging was heard against the hull.

L’Vek rolled to face the door "Hijin! Work can wait! Damn high energy creature.”

“It’s not me. It’s our friend.”

“Bring him around to the hatch then, lets get some info from him.”

“What do you think his first words will be?"

"Ummm..." L'Vek took a few seconds to regain his awareness before answering, "Twenty credits on 'Bite me.'"

"Deal." Hijin said as he passed L’Vek’s room and out the main hatch. Seconds went by before Hijin could be heard again. "He's awake and angry looking!"

A few minutes passed before the prisoner and Hijin stood outside the hatch. Hijin was full of energy and capable, but lacked the brute strength to move a human, even one on four caster wheels. So it took the being quite a few heaves to move the prisoner. Those few minutes though gave L’Vek the time he needed to compose himself. He had to relieve himself and re-equip his holster and utility belt. When he was finished buckling his belt a rapping could be heard on the hull. L'Vek shortly after walked out the hatch.

Though the prisoner was secure L’Vek didn’t want to take any chances, he withdrew his pistol and aimed it at the prisoner while the squib climbed onto the bound man to grab the oily rag from his mouth. The cloth made an effective and horrible tasting gag.

Hijin chuckled at his handy work before jumping down. Content and smiling Hijin took a firm stance in front of the man, and planted his furry fists on his hips. The squib gave L’Vek a quick a nod, and spoke, "Fancied yourself a pretty good enforcer didn't you. Looks like my friend here proved you wrong. Now, why don't you just tell us who you're working for, save some trouble for yourself. Please."

"Bite me." The man spat. His face red with anger and annoyance, at himself and his captors. He struggled against his bindings like he had when he’d awakened. He made no progress, just as he did in his first attempt.

“Pay-"

"Wrong answer!" Hijin barked cutting off L'Vek, "Hand me that laser cutter, L'Vek. Lets take care of this man's wound."

Surprised L'Vek holstered his pistol. He was impressed with his partner, never had he seen the squib take the initiative and sound so serious. A moment passed and a laser cutter was being tossed to Hijin's paw. "Here you go." L'Vek said, waiting to see what the squib would do.

"Do you worst." Was the reply that Hijin got when he activated the laser and began to slash ribbons in front of the bound man's face.

"They didn't kick me out of med school for doing nothing. Last chance to tell us anything before it gets real painful." Hijin said, bringing the laser cutter over the man's blaster wound.

The man was silent. Seconds later he'd wished he talked. The laser sank deep into the wound, pain shot down his arm and spread across the chest. Hijin began to drag it down and cut at angle to cut a chunk of previously seared flesh from the man's arm. The man’s screams of pain rang throughout the bay. L'Vek winced when he saw the chunk of flesh fall to the ground.

Hijin stopped for a few seconds to start a new section. In that time the man cursed and threatened Hijin like a Hutt who had just lost a fortune in spice. Before Hijin began again the man shouted in fury "I'll kill you!"

Hijin momentarily powered down the laser cutter and smiled. "You already tried that, and failed. Miserably." He then reactivated the cutter. Hijin lengthened the beam to it's maximum and with a single thrust forward unleashed upon his enemy an unbearable, incomprehensible pain, which racked through the tied down enforcer.

"STOP!!! I'll tell you. Stop please!!" Came the man's cries before he passed out from the pain.

Hijin had broken him. He turned the cutter off and looked at the man with a joker’s smile. "You sure, I was nearly at the bone. Could have led to a prosthesis for you. If you could afford it thats is."

The squib tossed the cutter to L'Vek then grabbed a small medical kit from a pouch around his waist. Hijin began applying aid to the wound which, surprisingly, wasn't as bad as either human had been picturing. The chunk that was cut out could easily be mended and would be an impressive looking scar afterwards. L’Vek just stared in awe.

L'Vek Darkivven
    "I'm never pissing you off, ever." L'Vek said while wheeling the, again, unconscious man up into the starship. "You're a fiend, disguised as an innocent and friendly mechanic."

Rubbing his palms in a rag Hijin replied, "Me. 'A fiend' says the bounty hunter. I'm not even close. That back there was me engaging that chap, who nearly tried to kill me, in the friendliest manner possible as the situation could permit, in conversation."

L'Vek shook his head. He brought the thug to a halt in the small seating area within the ship. Next a splash of cold water was being tossed at the thugs face, he jolted to life. "Dr. Maniacal expects you to make a full recovery. Now tell me your name and who sent you, or I'll book you another appointment with him."

"Please no!" He gasped, pain still radiated from the wound, it would for a while. "Korvis Hal, my name is Korvis Hal. An Aqualish named Jaopo sent us here."

"Jaopo." L'Vek had never heard of the person, however he knew his partner may have. "Hijin, does the name Jaopo ring any bells?"

"Err uh... Let me think. Jaopo, Jaopo." Hijin muttered the name over and over as he pondered. "Yeah, I remember hearing the name one night while I was out. I think I was at a swooper's lounge a few blocks from here. Jaopo is a big shot who runs the swoop circuit in this district. He's also the man to see about getting a bit of cash at this level in the city. Least that's what I overheard."

"Same Jaopo?"

Korvis nodded affirmative. "Yeah. Ikann and I are, were, his enforcers."

"Suppose if you don't report back, he'll send other brutes to check this place out?" L'Vek questioned while gesturing to the turbo lift.

Another nod. "A few. If someone doesn't report back a posse gets together and checks it out. Jaopo runs a tight operation."

L'Vek ran a hand through the pocket he'd put the collection of items from the fallen thug. He let out a heavy sigh and cursed silently. "Seeing as neither of you thugs carry comlinks, I assume check in is in person. Jaopo likes his security."

L'Vek took a second to think of a plan before he shot a glance over to his partner as he turned his head the blue fuzz ball was already spouting a reply.

"No!" Hijin announced, "Don't even ask. Not going. I'll get right to work on the ship, right through the night."

Hijin had been in to many similar situations before. L'Vek always burst in to establishments and made a seen while Hijin had always given him support. Once the fists began flying Hijin became nothing but a blue target of opportunity.

"Well then, I have no complaints." L'Vek responded cheerfully, "Now for you, Korvis. I could kill you, or send you on your way."

"I'll take the latter." Korvis said flatly.

"I was thinking the same. Now you could report to Jaopo, be punished for your failure, and maybe he'll spare you. Or you could get yourself out of any trouble and get a different job." L'Vek said in all seriousness, at least that is what he hoped he portrayed, "The Green Star up the way is looking for a good bouncer I hear."

L'Vek Darkivven
    Korvis left without trouble, in fact before he'd hopped on his, now, personal swoop bike he gave L'Vek the access code to the other swoop's nav computer. It showed an overlay of the city and showed several waypoints one of which was the joint Jaopo ran. L'Vek gave Korvis a nod and both men went off their separate ways.

It wasn't long before L'Vek was nearing the swooper's lounge. The place was packed as far as L'Vek could judge. Swoops lined the streets right around the block. As luck would have it L'Vek managed to squeeze between two racers right near the entrance, he hoped off the bike and locked it down.

L'Vek took a deep breath before stepping into the establishment, the air here was slightly better than the alleyway. Here instead of rotted stench it was exhaust. Some of the bikes here had fuel rocket boosters, and judging from the scorch marks along the road, their owners used them a lot.

Inside the noise was incredible. Beings from around the galaxy were conversing in all tones and languages. L'Vek thought it to be tough for anyone to make out a word here, the music didn't help either. Metal belted out from audio systems rigged all overheard. Now if only the food's good.

L'Vek pushed his way to the bar and ordered a Corellia- "Nah.. Make it a Johrian whiskey."

"Finally. I'm sick of servin' that Corellian water." the bartender said loudly, "Johrian, comin' right up."

A moment of thought and L'Vek agreed with the man, he'd become so accustomed to drinking the stuff himself it became akin to water. Soon the whiskey was in front of him and within seconds the fluid hit the back of the throat. Refreshing. L'Vek wanted to wheeze out. He observed the room while his throat recovered, not a single Aqualish. Must be in the back.

No need to rush into a confrontation just yet. L'Vek took another sip and looked around for someone interesting in the crowd. If he was certain he wasn't being watched, he'd have even gotten up to join the crowd thrashing to the music. Eh, why not? L'Vek downed the drink and moved just outside the crowd.

L'Vek Darkivven
    As L'Vek joined the thrashers they parted in front of him making enough space for this large Gamorrean to fall right on his face. A Flying Moses. It had been a while since he'd seen any being attempt crowd surfing let alone a hog.

L'Vek extended a hand to the pig before he got stomped on, he was a heavy brute but managed to get to his feet. He grunted and staggered to the bar.

"Take it easy Bebop and rock steady for a bit." L'Vek Replied.

It was at that point when L'Vek was grabbed and pulled into the mosh, or rather through it. Elbows and fists smacking him in the head as he was dragged between the crowd to the other side. He couldn't see who was pulling him except for a, metal studded, gloved hand at his wrist.

L'Vek Darkivven
    The hand pulled him clear across the dance floor and beyond a thick black set of curtains into a private room. It was poorly lit with smoke hanging in the air, it stung L'Vek's eyes.

His captor was a fiendishly styled human woman. Her head was bald, completely. She had no natural eyebrows, they had been removed and replaced with small silver rings. A vest covered most of her torso, it revealed her cleavage, and left her arms bare to show off their tattoos. The design was unfamiliar to L'Vek, but it ran from beneath her gloves to meet around her neck, and up the back of her skull. She caught him following the design and flashed L'Vek an evil smile that showed all sharpened teeth.

"Not you're average human female, is she?" a voice asked from the shadows.

Hijin
    Meanwhile...

"Damnit." Hijin cursed, "Blasted parts that I just got get shot up. Brilliant!"

Angry, he tossed a wrench across the bay before screaming, and stamping around.

"I need a drink!"

At that he scrambled up the steps and out into the dirty alley. So long as he didn't touch any of the garbage he'd be fine. He hoped to make it to the Green Star all the way without wretching.

As fast as possible he bolted down the alley into the street, turned, and entered the cafe. Whatever nerves he had were shot. Hijin hopped up to the bar and ordered himself a drink. Comfortably seated now he sipped a warm cup of java. Occasionally he turned his head to scan the room. He caught Jora Res wandering in. He sat down in his usual spot. The Gran informant always had an ear open, maybe he'd have something useful to say that Hijin could share with L'Vek.

Sipping the last of his drink he hopped off the stool he'd been seated in, and moved into the booth that Jora occupied. Jora grinned upon seeing the blue ball climb into the booth and seat himself upright.

"{Hijin, it's been a while.}"