Maalik felt a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he listened to Arabella's reply.

"Then perhaps it is a blessing that your attachment to them is waning," he said, his words warm and reassuring; a stark contrast to his appearance.

The Nosferatu listened with rapt attention as the Ghoul offered such a personal insight. He would not have been offended had she chosen to keep her cards close to her chest.

"Ah yes, the paradise that comes next..." he said softly, a knowing smile upon his face, "A question so buried at the heart of humanity that it has been asked since a time before memory... lucky are we who have found our answer, even if that answer is not all too appealing at first glance."

Throughout his many years, even one as pious as Maalik had experienced the occasional crisis of faith. Each, he surmised, was merely another test to be passed to prove his devotion.

“It is written in the Holy Qu'ran; God does not burden any soul with more than it can bear. I believe this to be true, even of us who walk in the darkness,” he said, reassuringly, "Even one as old as I cannot assume to have the vaguest idea of what the Almighty has planned for me. But what is faith if not trusting in his plan?"

Maalik chuckled.

"Or perhaps he is merely being patient with us and has given us more time to walk our path?"