Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Falcon's Cage

Shuvin was practically in her lap, and Cerie blinked in mild surprise as her hands went to the Togruta's waste to make sure she didn't tumble off to the side. It was a bizarre balancing act, and the blonde carefully slid herself out of her seat, making sure that Shuvin was still half-way held up in her contortionist's pose.

"He's not really... my 'man', you know."

It was sweet, the term, but despite her own internal thoughts on the matter, Cerie was still not sure how to refer to Vance when in the company of others. Oh, she knew exactly what Ben thought of him. Usually when it was brought up she would roll her eyes so thoroughly that they might as well be on their way to Wild Space.

Fully out from under Shuvin, Cerie let her go once it was certain that she had solid footing. Of course it only meant that Cerie herself could sidle right up next to the younger woman in an effort to spy Vance Felline.

Her eyes caught sight of a rather particular form, standing on the mouth of a large archway that joined the landing bay to what was probably a waiting are that doubled as a staging zone.

Except...

... it was Vance, and two other bodies standing on either side of him.

- -

"Oh come now, you have a perrfectljy sserrvjiceable trranssporrt, and we'rre both gojing to the ssame planet."

Parriaanaa Rasurraanssar was sidled up to the human man - he stood like some rigid piece of durasteel rod, unbending - doing her best to impress upon him the need that he share this transport. It was vitally important, after all.

Her sister was on the other side of him, one arm forcefully looped into his, her tail looping itself around his thigh just above the knee.

TheHolo.Net Poster Pirreea Rasurraanssar's Avatar
    AKA
    Christin
    She had made herself comfortable in the close shadow, as it were, of the handsome young human. Her tail had wound itself up and around his leg to wrap itself above his knee.

"We'rre all gojing to the ssame desstjinatjion, Dearr. And jI hearr ssuch good thjingss about the chjivalrrjy of jImperrjial offjicerrss... "

"I do believe I have said that I do not have the final word on whether or not you may fly on this transport, Ladies," he said, maintaining his poise. The feeling of a tail wrapped around his leg was incredibly awkward, but the most he he gave it was the slightest glance down.

Alderaan, the Ghtroc freighter that would be his transport back home, ejected a considerable amount of steam and compressed gas as its weight settled on its landing struts, obscuring the ventral hull enough that it was difficult to make out the entry ramp lowering, with the only real sign being the billowing cloud that erupted from the front. He remained at his place near the entrance of the landing bay, and waited for someone to make their entrance.

He didn't wait long, as a young girl nearly sprinted out of the billowing cloud and skidded to a stop in front of him. She was a Togruta, with a lithe form and a mischievous look about her face, like she had an impish grin's echo forever about her mouth. Her appearance silenced the two Cizerack ladies, and while he was tempted to say something, the girl looked like she was judging him while giving him a look over.

Finally, she nodded, a smug and very satisfied smile on her face.

"Cerie really knows how to pick 'em," she said, nodding, and noticed the two Cizerack women at his sides. "Yer pretty dashin' ain't ya? Howdy there, name's Shuvin."

What was he to say to that?

"Er, thank you," he said finally. Her smile widened and she glanced back, where both Cerie and Captain Merasska were making their own way over to them.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    Ben remained silent as he and Cerie flanked Shuvin, making what had to be one of the awkwardest posse stand-offs in the history of the galaxy. Ben Merasska and his Crew, facing Captain What's His Face and his...

"Never told me you were bringin' an entourage," he said, raising an eyebrow. Captain Whoever seemed to close his eyes and take a deep breath before reopening them and giving that weird Imperial nod/bow gesture.

"Captain Merasska, Miss Moreau, Miss Shuvin, may I introduce Madams Rasuransar," he said. "Apologies, as I am absolutely sure that I have mangled the pronunciation. Languages were never a particularly strong point of mine. They are, unfortunately, not my own guests; they found me while looking for passage to Ayolco for themselves and have made it quite clear that they wish to make use of your services as well."

Ben couldn't help but smile at the Imperial's veiled awkwardness and frustration, though the man had a look blander than skim blue milk on his face. It was petty to take pleasure in the man's plight like this, but then Ben was sure the man knew just how little his presence was welcomed by the owner of Alderaan in the first place, and still wanted to try and pay him for transport.

He look absolutely miserable. She would've felt a small amount of pity for the man, except, it was all she could do to keep from bursting out laughing. Vance Felline, with a pair of elder Cizerack matrons hanging off of him like he'd just won Galactic Powerball. He's said something about them hoping to gain passage to their ultimate destination, but that wasn't her decision to make. Ben was the goalie on this one - though hey... more credits was better than not-more-credits.

Cerie settled for a bare smirk, giving Vance a once-over that fully included his 'entourage', as Ben had put it.

The poor man.

Finally, she held out her hand in an invitation for him to take it if he so wished.

"Come on, then," she eased out, "... let's get aboard and let the Captain discuss business with the two fine ladies, yeah?"

Parri set her eyes to the human freighter captain.

"Aahh, Captajin," she smiled sweetly. "A pleassurre, to be ssurre!"

Stepping past the Imperial, Parri made sure to give a deferential nod of respect. Her sister likewise did the same, disengaging from her 'victim' to focus on a new one.

TheHolo.Net Poster

flying a starship is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put smashball cards in the spokes!

AKA
    Vince
    Take me out to the black, Tell them I ain't comin' back, You can't take the sky from me.
    Ben kept smiling for a grand total of three seconds before the words had percolated through his schadenfreude-enjoying brain, and he tossed a quick wide-eyed look to Cerie.

In the time it took him to do so, Captain Imperial-Pants had already taken hold of his luggage and was following Shuvin and Cerie back to the ship.

Unlike his nemesis however, Ben was more than experienced with fares attempting to sweeten him up for a little low-town bartering for passage. He wouldn't let them get one over him, nosiree, he had a point to prove now, and that was he was Captain of his boat, thank you very much, and he as Captain had final say over who would and wouldn't step foot on said boat. Unless he were boarded by the Imperials and/or the Alliance, in which case he'd probably just swallow his bile and smile until they left. But that wasn't the point of the thing—wait, he was getting distracted.

"So, lookin' for passage? Since I'm already goin' that way, I'll cut you a deal: 400 Imperial Credits each, plus 20 credits per each square foot of luggage."

It wasn't a bad offer, truthfully, but Parri was loathe to allow herself the first option. Haggling was - after all - a necessary thing in life, and now was certainly no different. She gave the captain a long stare, looked to her sister, and then looked back.

"Fourr hundrred jImperrjial crredjitss each, mm?"

Her tail gave a swish from one side to the other, and she let it continue to lazily move back and forth.

"That sseemss a touch ssteep, ne?"

It really wasn't, considering the two sisters were intent on securing as lucrative of an export deal as they could with some of the local fishing conglomerates on Ayolco. Of course, the human captain didn't know this; for all he knew, the two were simply hoping to book passage for a small getaway.

"How about thrree hundrred and ssjixty each, and fjifteen forr the luggage?"

Parri smiled sweetly, exuding that grandmotherly aura that always worked wonders on her grandcubs, and she clasped both hands before her in expectancy at his answer.

He didn't know whether to take satisfaction in Captain Merasska's plight, or to sympathise. Rather, he did not know which feeling was the stronger of the two. He had noticed the good Captain's enjoyment of his situation, and though it was a petty thing, Vance Felline could understand why the man did so. The Imperial could only imagine what he would be like if his own planet had been destroyed so utterly, and then was pushed to even interact with a man who wore the uniform of his people's killers.

"Not too familiar with Cizerack, are you?" the Togruta girl said, bringing him out his macabre thoughts. "They were thinkin' you were a treat, but I think that whole touchin' thing was to put you off and make you easier to deal with. Cizerack can be touchy-feelier 'n most, yeah, but there's a real sense of... well, I don't know the word, but they find it real amusin' to get up on guys with power. Makes 'em feel more at home, maybe?"

"Have you had much dealings with the Cizerack, Miss Undhi?" he asked, following the girl and Cerie up boarding ramp.

"Well, I guess you could put it that way," the girl said thoughtfully. "An' just call me Shuvin. Or Shuves. I tried to get Ben to call me that; hasn't taken yet though."

He smiled wryly. "I can't possibly understand why, Miss Undhi."

She blew him a good-natured raspberry and lead their small party to the galley. Once inside the freighter again, he was struck by the sense of homeliness the ship seemed to exude. He glanced over to Cerie, and smiled.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to just how different this ship is," he admitted. "It feels more a home than a ship. I'd wager that most tramp freighters don't even attempt to make their ships as comfortable as this."

She couldn't help the easy smile that turned up the corners of her lips. It was a welcoming smile, a smile of warmth. Her hand came up to give his cheek a light pat.

"That's because it is home," she answered with a low voice, and leaning in, delivered a quick kiss to his lower jawline. It was nothing sensual or inviting, it simply... was. It was an action meant to soothe and give comfort.

She pulled away then, moving closer to where Shuvin stood, and gave the younger Togruta a playful, light pinch to the tip of one montral.

"My girl here is the one to thank for all of that, though. She's the brains behind this whole operation."

And then she sent a second look to Vance. Except... this one was inviting and open. Life aboard Alderaan had become simply life. It was a ship that was so singular and comforting that most notions of going back to reclaim her own ship had been put on the far-burner. Hells, that old freighter could sit in drydock and rust into a thousand pieces and she still wouldn't care. It was that sort of a ship. Her smile was gentle then, and she reached a hand out to offer a helping hand for his luggage.

"You want to get settled, then?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Vince
    Shuvin watched Cerie and Vance interact with more than a little mystification; there was an intimacy there of a type that she'd never encountered before. And, by the looks of it, Mister Imperial Pants hadn't encountered it either: Cerie's light peck was met with a slight stiffening of his back, and though the man didn't step away, Shuvin could tell he was highly aware of Cerie's closeness and contact.

It must be a sad sort of life, she thought to herself, where any physical contact like that was met with wariness. Despite her pity, she was curious though, as neither of them had the signs of intimacy that she'd become used to. Cerie was only slightly more touchy than she normally was with Ben (Shuvin giggled a bit at the thought of Ben's reaction to a kiss on the cheek), and their expressions and actions didn't have that tenseness or studied restraint that lovers had when they were together.

She brought herself out of her thoughtful pondering to see him gesture to the two bags he was carrying with a wry smile as he said:

"Not much 'settling in' needed, I'm afraid. I also don't want to be not present when the good Captain comes on board. I'd rather avoid irritating him any more than I already have with my very existence."

He set the bags on the floor and sat at the galley table, and produced a small piece of folded flimsy.

"It shouldn't be too hard to see why, though," she said idly, handing out three small tumblers and setting a small container of instant tea on the table. She glanced up to see him looking at her in curiosity. "Oh, don't tell me you ain't realized it already. C'mon. She's named Alderaan for stars' sake."

He only nodded, his expression going all Imperial and stoic.

"Don't worry," she said with a smile and patted his hand comfortingly. "He only hates the Alliance a little less than he hates the Empire, so even if you weren't Imperial he wouldn't like you very much."

"For some reason, that does make me feel somewhat better," the man said with a laugh. He glanced to notice that Shuvin had swiped the flimsy from him and was reading it already while walking back to grab the kettle to pour their water for the tea.

"Is she always like this?" he whispered to Cerie.

She moved to sit beside him, but it was with the sort of posture that was close yet - far. She occupied the space next to him, but it was with a strange sort of sense borne of intimacy and caution. Despite her previous actions, she still held herself with the sort of sense of a person who was familiar and strange all at once.

"Honestly?"

Her legs crossed beneath the table as she watched Shuvin with a curious eye. Both hands rested on the table-top, fingers lacing together.

"She's being nice to you."

The blonde gave a last look to her younger friend before angling her head to allow Vance a sideways look from the corners of her eyes.

"If I was you, I'd take it and not question it."

Vance nodded in complete and utter mystification, watching as the girl read the flimsy at first with an air of idle mischief, but then with more intent. A minute or so passed, and he could hear Captain Merasska and the Rrasurransarr sisters nearing the entry ramp.

The Togruta girl grimaced slightly and tossed the flimsy onto the galley table.

"It's a bit weird to see that rich families are similar, no matter how far apart they are in the galaxy," she sighed, before looking over at him and Cerie. "The 'nooba and eopie show doesn't change, I guess. So, I have to ask: is Cerie your shield?"

He blinked, confused.

"It's probably a different word, then," she said, leaning forward. "So, you know those parties you have to go to, but there's no one you want to go with? Sort of like how everyone else will see you and her and start talking?"

He nodded, clearly picturing the situation and wondering to himself how this Togruta girl could know this sort of context.

"So you bring someone that can run interference, keeps the vultures off and you don't have to worry about how everyone else will take it, because she won't take it the wrong way. They called it 'being a shield' on Syragor. Least, in the circles I saw they did. Could've been a term only they used for all I know. But anyway, everyone else assumes you and the shield have a thing, and you use that to ease up on the pressure."

"I... uh..." he trailed off and shrugged. Shuvin shook her head in pity, pushing the flimsy with his mother's message and his father's note attached back across the galley table to him. "I'm not sure."

Cerie gave her Togruta friend a knowing nod, in indication that she was essentially on the right track. Leaning back in the small booth then, the blonde let herself relax. At least, for the immediate time-being. She too could hear the approaching voices, and there was a brief flash of pity for poor Ben, and partial guilt for leaving him alone to contend with two elderly matrons who were clearly used to getting their way.

It was a fleeting moment though, and she let her attentions once more return to Vance.

"It's exactly that," she confirmed, finally.

He looked like a muudabok in speederlights, practically, and she reached out to place a single, slender finger on the flimsi. With methodical slowness, she slid the document closer to him so that it eventually rested directly in front of him.

"We're here to help."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Vince
    "It's valid, and Cerie here's real sweet, but I gotta ask: do you want to get married?"

Vance grimaced and glanced at Cerie and Shuvin. Before he could answer, Ben cleared his throat at the entrance of the galley. He was flanked by the two Cizerack matrons, who were looking both satisfied and very curious. Shuvin smiled at the wonder her and Ben's ship evoked on nearly everyone who came on board.

"Before we get into any further into this conversation, and believe me, I really want to hear about all of this marriage nonsense, I want to introduce Parriaanaa, and her sister, Pirreea, both of the esteemed Rasurraanssar family. We've managed, after considerable debate, to reach a consensus and they'll be our guests to Ayolco."

Shuvin fixed him with a smug look at the studied concentration with which he said their names. He grimaced and waved as if trying to brush her expression off her face with his hand, but there was something else in his eyes she noticed, and it made her smile a bit more gently. Thankfully, he seemed to notice that and relaxed slightly himself. She smiled and nodded politely at the two women, eerily mimicking Vance's own nod at the same time.

Married.

Gods, but that was a word. And thank the maker that Ben showed up just in time to put a halt to that - his words made her shoulders slump, and Cerie sighed while rolling her eyes (away from Vance).

To further mask her annoyance, the blonde slid out from her seat to stand, moving to intercept the two matrons and their luggage.

At least it was only two rolling cases and a single small-pack each.

"We're glad to have the ladies aboard," she got out, giving a wide, genial smile.

"Let me take your things."

TheHolo.Net Poster Pirreea Rasurraanssar's Avatar
    AKA
    Christin
    Pirre half-stepped forward, shooing the blonde forrda from her and her sister's luggage.

"Dearr, do not overrtax jyourrsself. A woman ssuch ass jyourrsself... wjith marrrjiage on the horrjizon... "

A knowing look was passed to her sister.

"jIt jis forrtujitouss that mjy ssjissterr and jI have booked passsage on thjiss sshjip!"

Parri was swift to pick up where her sister left off.

"jIndeed, dearr."

She sent a look from the lovely Ben Merasska to the durracrete statue that was Vance Felline.

For as prodding and inciting as Pirre was, Parri was the underlying note.

She sent a sideways look to Captain Merasska.

"Ssurreljy the brrjide to be jis not the bellhop?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Vince
    "She's—I'm—we're—" Vance stuttered and flushed, caught completely off guard by the women and their insinuation that Cerie and he were getting married.

Ben himself would say that he might be the hologram example next to the definition of clueless in the Galactic Basic Dictionary, but even he knew that wasn't the case here. He still enjoyed the Imperial's continued frustration and embarrassment though. Cerie however looked like she might want to punch someone in the next few moments, and that would be annoying for everyone, for the rest of the flight. Why, people might even want him to do something; like what, stars if he knew, but that wasn't the point. He was the Captain of this little ship, and that meant he had to enforce the rules and make sure the flight was nice and cosy for hims—everyone on board.

"Now, ladies, I'm sure we don't have the entire story," he said, pitching his voice to be heard over the women's chattering, Shuvin's sniggering, and Cerie's grinding teeth. "And the bride-to-be here doesn't seem to be enjoying the attention the way a woman who's been proposed to by such a gallant, chivalrous man as—hold on, Cerie, Cerie, wait... now you know I was just joking—egads woman!"

He'd known the second Cerie let the bags down and had started advancing on him that she wasn't happy, but then he wasn't very happy with the situation either, and he thought a little light-hearted teasing and prodding was just the thing to let the tension ease off; he thought he might have been proven right as he saw a shadow of a smile on her face after watching him stumble back at her threatening closed fist. Shuvin was smacking the table and laughing loudly, and had been since he'd started describing Cerie and Vance as newlyweds.

"Pfft! Blushing bride!" she choked out. "Sure, if by blushing you mean she's angry enough to shoot whoever got her drunk enough to put on the dress!"

Ben winced, very aware that the girl was referencing his own wedding holo with the very scary Jesse Buchanan, er, Lockheart. Shuvin winked at Cerie and turned to Vance and the women.

"The Cap'n is married, and I think that's about the best example of marital bliss I'll ever see."

"Now, hold on, that marriage ain't binding at all—"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast