Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Captain and I

She took another level off of her drink, and savoring the taste as she swallowed, Cerie shifted in her seat.

"Mm, Ghtroc 720. So a light freighter. Captain Merasska prefers the dependability route over anything particularly extravagant."

Except for the actual water shower system. Thank the gods for Shuvin and her brilliance.

The second part of his question made her pause, as if it had caught her off guard. In a way it had, but mostly it was just something that'd never crossed her mind.

"The rest of us just try to do what we can to make sure everything goes smoothly."

The notion of anything going smoothly for any amount of time aboard Alderaan was laughable.

Another sip. That Pau'an bartender made a good drink.

"And yourself? Surely we weren't the only freight crew that your Mister Lighever gave you."

The thought of such a lack of hierarchy on board a vessel both intrigued and alarmed him, but before he could try and dig further into that mystery, Moreau asked her own question, and it would be rude to sidestep it.

"I have had little cause to need such a service," he answered after taking a slow taste of his own drink, and finishing it. He gestured to his and Miss Cerie's drinks and the server, observant and discreet soul that he was, nodded. "It was only recently that I came into such a circumstance, as I now have physical items, gifts would be a good term, that I cannot possibly take along with me; but neither can I simply sell them off or leave them. So, Alderaan and you are my solution."

His wordless request for another pair of drinks was smooth, and she couldn't help but appreciate it.

"Well, we're glad that you've chosen us," she almost purred.

A few more minutes of small talk, followed by the second round of their drinks, along with the promised artisanal bread, and a word from their server that their entrees were nearly finished. Cerie offered a sweet smile, but her eyes were soon to return to Vance as she ventured a first sip from her second drink.

"So, you have some gifts that you need delivery. What is the destination?"

"Ah, nowhere adventurous, I assure you. The end destination is the Imperial Banking Station in the Teyr Sector, but you only need go as far as the Banking Station in the Botajef system. A simple task all 'round, one that I have no way of doing."

The server returned with their drinks, and informed them their food would be served very soon. Felline nodded politely, and turned back to Cerie, turning the conversation slightly off topic while the server was present.

"A Ghtroc? Certainly a solid choice for a freighter, though I've heard that the reactors have trouble feeding enough power to all their systems."

He sipped on his drink and listened to her intently; while he didn't commonly engage with freighters and runabouts unless during an operation or during an engagement where they were present as enemy assets (as a general rule, that was left to Customs, who jealously guarded their jurisdiction and relative independence of the Imperial military chain of command), he'd seen and dealt with a fair amount in his time as Captain of the Fearless, especially when assisting Knight Iscandar with her investigations, and he disdained having no knowledge of the craft he encountered. The conversation drifted, from there to other interests, such as reading (she enjoyed the pulp-fiction of the Heavy Bionics periodical), history (her primary interest was in the Old Republic), and eventually drifted into a discussion of holomovies, both the classics and the guilty pleasure of b-holos.

"White Station merely uses the Clone Wars as a backdrop," he argued. "While part of the plot does develop because of the war and their parts of it, the story is mainly about Rik and Ilza and their relationship and uses the war to further that along."

The server returned with their food in the middle of this conversation.

"For you, sir," he said, gracefully placing the shrimp dish down. "And you, ma'am. I hope you both enjoy. It must be a slow night for you though, ma'am."

Felline glanced up, confused, and saw a mirroring expression on her face as well.

"Well, it isn't often we see you out and about on the station, and to dine here when your first mate is here as well?" the server smiled, setting her entree in front of her. "A rare treat for us, I guess. I'll go get another round for you?"

He looked to them and down to his tiny datapad, and turned off while punching in the order for another round after Felline's distracted assent.

There was a plain, unemotional look that was given to their server, and as soon as his back was turned Cerie couldn't help the deep scowl that pulled her features down.

In the face of her Opee Sea Killer steak, she would just have to hope that Captain s'Ilancy's second-in-command would be at a table far enough away that the two would not cross paths. The blonde was at least glad that 'round three would be coming along in relative short order. She was always a fan of going the distance, as one of her favorite holofilm series 'Stoney' had drilled into her at a remarkably young age.

"How about," she let her voice drop a level, so that it was almost a husky whisper, "... we eat our food, enjoy our drinks, and then go find somewhere else to discuss our business, yes?"

She couldn't help the grin that tugged at the corners of her lips though, as she had quite enjoyed their discussion before it'd been interrupted by their server.

"Besides, I'd love to know what you thought about Lai'tassen of Arkania and Seven Jedi."

Taking another drink, she stared at Vance from over the tops of her eyes, her hand seemingly moving of its' own accord to cut an impossibly tender bite from her steak with a fork, and lifting it up, she smoothly slid it inside her mouth. Eyes closing, Cerie allowed herself to lean back as the flavors swirled across her palette.

"How about," and here her voice dropped a level, "...we eat our food, enjoy our drinks, and then go find somewhere else to discuss our business, hm?"

She even leaned forward, enjoying even this little moment. Her eyes glittered, and his own eyes drifted to her collarbone before he wrested control of himself back. He smiled, somehow enjoying this moment as well, much to his own silent surprise.

"It does seem to be getting far more crowded in here than I had anticipated," he said. "And I find myself wanting to know very much if Seven Jedi is anything like the Magnificent Mandalorians."

He found himself enjoying the medallions salad far more than he had anticipated, but found his attention diverted often by Miss Cerie's vocal enjoyment of her food.

"You know," she let the words spill from her lips like a hushed avalanche, drawing everything around them down the mountainside, "... I would've never pegged you for a guy that likes the classics."

Another bite of her steak, another moment to relish the taste and savory notes.

"If anything - and not to be the judging sort of type - " she softened the verbal blow with a strangely genuine look of appreciation, "... I figured that you were the sort that had little to no appreciation for anything like those old holoflicks."

She couldn't help but smile as she took another sip of her drink, "It's nice to be proved wrong."

"I am only too glad to shatter such preconceptions," he replied, winking and tossing back the last of the most recent round. "While such people exist, I daresay it is only as a warning for those of us who still enjoy life."

STANZA 3

Nothing that's formal,
    Nothing that's normal,
    No recitations to recite;
    Open up the curtain:
    Comedy Tonight!
    Something erratic,
    Something dramatic,
    Something for everyone:
    A comedy tonight!
    Frenzy and frolic,
    Strictly symbolic,
    Something for everyone:
    A comedy tonight!
    Something familiar,
    Something peculiar,
    Something for everybody:
    Comedy tonight!
    Something that's gaudy,
    Something that's bawdy--
    Something for everybawdy!
    Comedy tonight!

They had finished their meal, and for a few moments Cerie found herself wishing that she could afford to eat like this more often. Usually it was Noodle Rings cold and straight out of the can. Other times it was instant Rodian soup noodles (yobshrimp was the best, of course). Crackers and instant breakfast pastries were also often eaten. But here, at Cavern on Naboo, and treated to a decadent meal along with the beginnings of a delightful fleet of delicious beverages, she couldn't help but try to prolong the magic.

It didn't help that as their dinner progressed, Vance Felline had made a healthy impression. He knew the classics, and enjoyed history. He liked to read, and was just as eager to talk about it all as she was.

He had paid their bill, and Cerie had happily left the establishment on his arm. Her stomach felt delightfully warm, but she was not quite ready for things to end. They had long since finished talking about the business side of their meeting, and now it was on to much more comfortable chatter.

"You know," her voice was rather cheery, a sign that she was thoroughly happy with his company, "... I recall seeing a lovely little drink kiosk over... there... " she gestured to the way she'd originally come from at the start of all this.

A grin crossed her features as she looked up at him, though if she was to be honest it hadn't really left in a long while.

"I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on whether Rough Expiration is an action holo or a Lifeday holo."

The kiosk Moreau had been speaking of was not nearly as high-brow as Cavern on Naboo. To even put them on the same scale was something of an insult to the Cavern, in fact. It was just the sort of place he'd never have the desire to go to himself, and it may have been the alcohol he'd already imbibed, but he found himself looking forward to seeing it here, now, even with its garish lights that still left much of the thing dim.

"Why can it not be both a Life Day film and an action film? Surely the genres aren't that exclusive? Or are they implying that its central themes revolve around Life Day, which is frankly ridiculous," he was saying, in completely genuine confusion. Miss Moreau had been attempting to explain the controversy, as while he'd seen the film, he'd never heard of the arguments around it. She seemed to be enjoying his ignorance as much as he enjoyed how she tried to explain it.

"Look, all I know is that it's not Life Day until I see Karn Jahan fall from Oza'Sori Tower."

Sidling up to two free seats around the narrow bar surrounding the kiosk, Cerie slid up onto a stool while somehow managing to pull Vance onto the one beside her with a gentle, guiding hold.

The kiosk, run by an Ortolan, was a jovial place with other patrons also taking up the limited seating. Shimmering string lights had been wound around the small awning's support poles, and a perfect view of the condiments and garnishes rested before their eyes with the actual shelves of liquor lined a sturdy back 'wall'. Brightly colored signage, cartoonish mascots on the menu board, and even a few pictures of the offered drinks were on a plaquard set off to the side.

Pai Keedo's Exotic Drink Emporium

• Flowering Namana Heart
    • Krayt Dragon Pearl
    • Pantoran Snowblaster
    • Emperor's Black Bones
    • Jedi Juice
    • Hondo's Pirate Punch
    • Sarlacc Pit

There were a few others listed, but she already knew what to order, and was quick to speak up when Pai Keedo's eyes fell on the newcomers.

"I'll have the Hondo's Pirate Punch, and my man here will have the Krayt Dragon Pearl."

A sideways look was sent to Vance then, and Cerie grinned knowingly.

"They'll be good, I promise."

"I shall defer to your judgment, then," he said, nodding to the Ortolan, who deftly turned and started making their drinks while taking more orders. He glanced around at the other customers, seeing a worn looking Bothan talking to a Durwi, a couple humans (or near humans) on the other side, three Ugnaughts chattering to each other to the side.

It was a common thing, but one that never ceased to astound him; how in all the galaxy's size, people still stumbled across each other through vast distances. If out of step for but a moment somewhere, the Durwi might never have even seen the Bothan, much less followed events to this kiosk where a tramp freighter woman and an Imperial Starfleet Captain out of uniform were connecting after talking business.

He might have never met Cerie.

He glanced back to find her smiling and watching him.

"I am glad our paths crossed, Cerie Moreau," he said, surprising himself with the forthrightness of the sentiment.

It was enough to cause her a bit of surprise, and Cerie blinked a few times before allowing her features to settle in to a cheshire-cat's smile.

"And I have to admit, Vance Felline, the feeling is mutual."

To put it lightly. She had needed an evening like this, and she would certainly not squander it.

As Pai turned into a whirlwind of drink-mixing action, the blonde regarded her partner with a bit of a critical eye. Well, as critical of an eye as she could manage after a healthy more-than-three-rounds of Old Rebellions.

"I bet that you've needed a night like this for a lot longer than I have," her body seemed to slide closer in to him, as she rolled her neck, feeling those wondrous cracks in the vertebrae of her neck.

She let her hand shift enough to the side so that her pinky finger gently caressed the outside edge of his wrist.

"Am I wrong?"

His first reaction was immediately deny any such need. He did not feel stifled or underserved in his role in Starfleet as he did not possess an overweening sense of ambition; nor was he of the opinion that he wasn't fit for his role, in fact, he felt like he'd been born to be the Captain of the Fearless, and there was no title he could imagine holding in higher esteem. But looking Miss Moreau in the eye, he couldn't rightly say that a night like this, without pretense or urgency, wasn't unnecessary.

"I cannot say that you are wrong at all," he answered, his eyes on her pinky, and then back to her. He wasn't quite sure what possessed him to make such a daring move, but he leaned forward, slowly and with intent, his eyes on hers until the distance between them could have been measured in a breath, and then pressed his lips to hers.

It wasn't a sloppy, or very passionate kiss. In fact, it was almost a question more than anything else.

When he pulled away, he looked to see what the answer might be.

In a way it was surprising, but it was certainly nothing that she would have denied. In fact, it was something that she had secretly hoped for. At least, ever since she had lazily mopped up the last of her Naboo Sea Sauce with the last bit of her Opee Sea Killer steak.

Gods, how long had it been? How long is someone supposed to gauge these sorts of things?

His look as he pulled away... it was so innocent and sweet, and she fed on just that sort of diet. At the same time it awoke the need, and Cerie barely registered Pai as he set both of their finished drinks in front of them.

Her hands both rose up then, to bring his head down to hers, and she pressed her lips once more to his with a hunger that was bourne from near-starvation... of the need to connect with a being that held so much in common.

He had a delightful taste, a refined and sophisticated note that only made her posture rise, shoulders rolling back as she both seemed to present to him and demand he present to her as well.

Of all the things he might have expected from such an unseemly show in public, applause wasn't even on the list, but when they broke the second kiss, Felline found that the other customers at the kiosk were clapping and whistling, smiles and winks thrown about like confetti at a party. In the background he thought he might have heard a strangled shout, a "hrk!" or "hrng!" of some kind, but his focus was perhaps understandably taken up by the Durwi and Bothan both hiding smirks and the humans elbowing each other, and the Ortolan's inky, lifeless black eyes that stared back without nary an emotion.

"Encore!" someone called. Felline flushed slightly and occupied himself with his drink, coughing slightly and turning to look at Miss Moreau.

She looked to the one who called for another showing, and raised her newly-delivered drink to him. It was an unspoken 'in time, friend', sort of admission. Her punch was a bright red, with a gaudy red faux fire-bloom flower and a cheaply made food-safe Ugnaught figurine clinging to the rim. A sip, and she could confirm that the fruity concoction was indeed delightful.

The Krayt Dragon Pearl that she'd ordered for Vance was slightly more distinguished, with a gelatin globule of milky white at the bottom of a tulip-style glass of pale green liquid.

With a grin that spoke volumes, Cerie hitched her head to one side as her eyes remained on Vance. His reciprocation of their second kiss had been enough to embolden her, and she couldn't help but wind her leg around his, drawing him ever-so-much-closer.

"I'll trade you a taste of mine for a taste of yours."

The crowd had calmed somewhat, but he was very aware that they had become something of a show to the rest of the clientele. Despite that, the alcohol he'd already had and the boldness that successfully kissing Cerie had engendered within him kept what would normally be a very irritating circumstance something barely meriting notice instead.

Most of his attention was wrapped up in Cerie's blonde hair and blue eyes and that distractingly low neckline, and the way she'd come so very close, and how her foot would drag up and down his leg. His own manner kept him from so brazenly reciprocating such gestures, but by this point it was hardly necessary and his own receptiveness was assured.

He wordlessly offered her a sip of his drink, but looked around when he heard another wordless cry of hate swiftly silenced somewhere nearby. His attention was drawn back to Cerie and down her shoulder to the back of her dress. It took him a moment, but he finally recognized the zipper, and how it looked to be slowly coming undone. His expression of alarm was washed off his face when she looked back at him and offered her own drink for his tasting.

The Pirate Punch was certainly a fruity and sweet kick in the teeth also.

His eyes had the sort of look that invited more attentions, and Cerie was more than happy to provide him with just that. He was handsome, he was cultured, he enjoyed the classics, and still had time to slide into the slightly-more-mainstream of the sort that she herself found enjoyable. And while it was quite likely the alcohol beginning to take hold, she couldn't help but ride that happy wave.

Not to mention he had that look.

It was the same one that she had.

But, she was determined to make it worth her while. So long as she got hers, after all.

Everything around them seemed to fall away, and she took a second sip of his drink before sliding it back to him.

"It's good," she couldn't help but admit while taking up her own once more.

"I bet that pearl in there is what'll make that thing really good, though."

Damn the other patrons. She didn't care. She saw what she wanted. The dinner, the drinks, the conversation, the everything.

Mama's gonna have what she wants...

She gave him a brief moment to take another sip of his drink, but nothing more than that before her hand slid over to momentarily rest on his thigh. A gentle test, and she slowly slid a soft palm to the inside. Not to touch, but to test.

Hidden, of course, by the bartop. It was his only saving grace, and quite frankly the only one she would allow him.

His back wasn't the only thing that stiffened when she let her hand slide along his thigh, and he was pretty sure she was feeling that part too.

One hand came down to arrest her further 'explorations', but did not attempt to move her hand away. She glanced at him in question, and he shot her a loaded look.

"Miss Moreau," he breathed, settling in close. "If you wish to take this somewhere more... private, then I am more than amenable."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast