"I'm hungry." A small human female tugged on Ndonsa's pant leg, her voice small and hard to hear against the chatter of the other initiates. The Kufu looked around for a caretaker, then realized she was on her own. Master Anbira was on the other side of the ship, speaking to a few other Jedi who had come with them on this journey.

Ndonsa knelt down to look the cub in the eye. "You were given snacks for the journey to Ossus. It is not long, and you have plenty."

The girl's eyes widened, and they both looked behind her, to where an empty bag rested on the deck, crumbs spilled around it.

The Kufu's expression flattened. "You ate it already."

"I ate it already." The human child's face crumpled with strong emotions, and Ndonsa awkwardly patted her on the head, ruffling her headfur while looking around for help.

An Alliance member, a female who specialized with resettling children with new families, turned up at Ndonsa's elbow. "Is everything okay?"

The Jedi padawan shook her head, getting to her feet. "This one is upset, and eats too much."

The older female frowned, and took the child's hand. "I will take it from here."

"Good."

Ndonsa ignored the look the woman gave her as she led the child away. There were many of them on board, all from Naboo. They had been gathered together because they were able to feel the Force, and either their family had brought them, or they had no family. The word for such a cub was "orphan" though in her tribe there had never been any orphans. Everyone had a place at the fire. If a cub's mother and father were dead, they were raised by other adult tribe members.

The idea of having no family, no tribe... it was very strange.

Ndonsa's tail flicked as she looked across to Master Anbira. He looked up and met her gaze, smiling, before turning back to his conversation. In some ways she had been an 'orphan,' when she left her tribe behind on Kuf.

Now, Master Anbira was her tribe, as the Jedi would be the tribe for these young ones.