Thread: Dawn of Duty

Threaded View

Babylon 5 Dawn of Duty

February 12th, 2259 - Station Babylon 5, Epsilon System

C&C - Command and Control Observation Dome 1 1630

Lt. David Corwin was enjoying the relative quiet shift at his work station and casually ran a hand through his well kept brown hair, blue eyes watching activity in the docking bays where several Drazi transports were unloading various perishables for trade and refueling. It was all routine and he was hoping that his shift that was ending soon would remain just as peaceful.

His slim face frowned at the jumpgate sequence that was running through his console. There wasn't supposed to be another ship heading through here for another two Earth Standard Hours.

"Commander? Jumpgate's been activated ..." he stated firmly.

Ivanova immediately grew annoyed and her icy stare went right to the gate through the observation window. "Of course it has. Something just had to ruin our shift. What's coming through?"

The four long struts whose points formed a diamond flashed at the very end before the swirling blue vortex appeared, as it always did, when a vessel was exiting hyperspace. The jumpgate was a fixed structure just like the station above Epsilon III.

"Not sure. It's small though." He squinted at the screen. "Can barely pick up uh. Hm ... Um, Commander?"

With a sigh, she responded. "Yes?"

"It's one of our own. A Starfury. And just the one. Attempting to contact the pilot."

"What the hell." Her annoyance was replaced with confusion. "We haven't received notice that any Earthforce fighters were headed our way. Have there been any communications of attacks on our fleet? Could've gotten lost in the battle."

"Negative on that, Ma'am. I ... huh. Okay. This is weird. The pilot ignored my message and sent one of their own."

"Yeah ...that's odd." She squinted at the small spec as the blue vortex disappeared. "What are the scans picking up?" Ivanova had learned one couldn't be too cautious out here and not everything was so simple on the surface.

"Fury is intact with no damage. Weapons offline. The message is standard - requesting to speak to the Commanding Officer."

"Alright. Patch them through. Only one way to find out who our mystery guest is." She cleared her throat. "Babylon Control to Starfury - This is Commander Susan Ivanova of Babylon 5. Please state your designation for processing as previously requested."

"Geesh. It takes you all that long to answer a call? No wonder people bitch about how shitty the docking procedures are," quipped the female voice on the other end.

"Oh for the love of ... Aliya?!" Ivanova leaned over the console, clearly irritated and that shone through her voice. "You weren't supposed to be here for another two days!"

The newly minted Lt. Commander was early on arrival. Aliya Shalynn was requested by the Minbari and approved by the League and council members to assist with diplomatic relations on the station. Ivanova and Shaylnn served together at Station IO under Sheridan and was happy for the reunion, but even her good mood had limits with these antics.

"I was not coming on Valentine's Day. You realize how absurd that is with the pressure to bring you all chocolates and flowers?"

Ivanova laughed, taking all the technicians by surprise. She usually, no, always, hated smart asses and entitled beings that were trying to procure favoritism ... and this pilot slammed B5's operations and bruised the commander's ego in one blow. Everyone kept quiet despite sharing odd looks between them and eying the doppelgänger that was their XO. "So instead of following protocol, you decided to show up unannounced to avoid bringing ... gifts?"

"Nope. I announced it."

Ivanova was afraid to ask. "To who?"

"The captain. We kept it on the QT to surprise ya."

She sighed, half rolling her eyes. "Of course he did. Remind me to thank him later by asking maintenance to shut off the water to his quarters."

Laughter resounded through the channel. "What is it with you and watery vengeance?" Aliya was referring back to their time on Station IO when she threw a Psi Corp member out a three story building who landed in the pool below.

"And what are you doing with that maneuver, Shalynn?" The commander's blue eyes watched the fighter dip low, burn thrusters, and fly off in a hurry out of view with no answer. "What the hell is she doing?"

"Flying closer to the station, Ma'am, but we haven't given her clearance for Cobra Bay yet," said Corwin.

"I know she's flying closer to the station ... Just ... nevermind." She flexed her fingers in annoyance and tried again. "Shalynn... you need to remain in a holding pattern until we can confirm Cobra Bay has room for you."

"Holding pattern? Seriously? With what traffic do I need to hold around? There's no one out here but me."

"That's it. I'm going to kill her. Got the resignation letter already in mind with why I killed her and plea insanity," she muttered. "This'll be the quickest reunuion ever."

"What was that, Ma'am?" asked another tech within earshot.

"Oh nothing. Contemplating murder. Shalynn! I'm serious. I ... I'm watching you in front of the viewport. Are you serious?!"

Ivanova was in awe that Aliya's Starfury was not only slowly passing across the observation dome just over 200 feet away, but the fighter was upside down and her dear old friend was waving at her with a big grin.

"Are you crazy?!" Ivanova screeched, arms outstreched in disbelief. "One wrong thruster hit and you'll collide with the station!" She spun around and glared accusingly at Corwin. "Why didn't you warn me?"

"I ... I ... I couldn't! She flew too close and too fast to get a lock on her," he sputtered out in his defense.

Ivanova turned just enough for Aliya to see her profile and the look shot at her. "It's kinda scary how well I can see you hating on me right now."

"I don't hate you," Ivanova corrected.

"Oh? Is it utter contempt?"

"Corwin! What is the status on Cobra Bay?" she barked, ignoring Aliya.

"Received word that they'll have Bay 14 ready for the Lt. Commander in 30 minutes," said Corwin.

"So that means I can st- ..." Aliya amended that statement with a nervous chuckle feeling the cold death glare of her friend, "... wait at a nice safe distance in a holding pattern around invisible ships."

The thrusters were activated and all C&C personnel gasped and jerked back in defense but the fighter slowly moved backwards to a safe distance before tearing off away from the station.

"Have to admit, that was pretty impressive ..." Corwin said in quiet envy.

"And it'll be the last time it happens too," snapped the commander, but as she looked out the dome, she couldn't help the flicker of smile that appreciated the stunt. "Alright. Fun's over. Back to work everyone ..."
    Last edited by Aliya Shalynn; Jan 30th, 2021 at 03:26:58 PM.