Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The T'nuah Boxes: A Xanatos and Teagan Mystery

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG
    ...my daddy smells like wine

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    A small bit of truth to myth. It was a notion that sang sweetly, and Teagan couldn't help the satisfied grin that passed over her features as she thought it over.

Her hands still idly passed through the pages of the journal that she'd pulled from her pile, and a slight shift in a page broke her from her imaginings.

Something thick, as though it was folded, was pushed into almost the center of the journal, and carefully she turned the last few pages. There was old parchment, crinkled and cracking at a touch, and the young Lupine pulled in a sharp breath as she grew still.

"This is a different journal," she breathed, slowly reaching out to dislodge the folded parchment from the pages.

"Not from the person who lost his way."

Reverently almost, she set the folded bit of old paper - it wasn't even a flimsi, it was paper - on the table between them. Would it crumble to dust if they tried to open it? She sorely believed that it would, given the brittle feel of it. But, determined as ever, Teagan began to slowly unfold the thing until it was ever so carefully laid open before them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"This is the part of the holovid where the music swells in the background." Xanatos thought to himself, afraid to take a breath in case he breathed on the ancient paper wrong and sent it to the wind like powder. Suddenly it all felt very real. All the talk of possessed boxes and exploration was a fun flight of fancy, but this was something physical and tangible.

"Okay." He finally managed to squeeze out. "So." He looked at it, then Teagan, then it again. "...We have a map." He suddenly wished he'd paid more attention to cartography in his studies, leaning over it to try and make it out. There were some notable landmarks, though he hadn't seen enough of the compound to have any idea where to place those.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Eyes glued to the map, Teagan held her breath out of simple shock. She'd never expected there to be anything like this in any of these old books she'd been studying. Heck, mostly up until now it'd been boring historical stuff; well, ok maybe not all the way boring, but there were still some slow bits that she'd had to slog through. Journal reading was usually interesting, since it let you see another person's life through their eyes, but until now, none of the journals that she'd read had been remotely like this. And none of them had had a secret map folded up inside.

Gingerly, she pointed to the top left corner, where a small drawing of what looked like some temple was.

"I think this is the library," her voice was a hushed whisper, just in case someone else was nearby.

"And this," her hand moved, finger passing over until it rested at a tiny, simple drawing of a hut at the edge of a mountain range, "... this has to be where the box is. The old hut from the other journal."

Xanatos chewed at his lower lip as he watched her finger slide across the map to rest on the drawn image. This had moved along faster than he expected when they'd started talking about this. It was superstition, fantasy, a bit of historical fiction. And now apparently geography. By the end of this journey he wondered if they'd have taken a stop at all the genres. This was crazy though, the idea of going through with it. But it was also maddeningly exciting. He took a long breath, trying to regain some semblance of adulthood and maturity.

"Okay. So." He started, completely unsure where he was actually going to go with this line of dialogue. "There's a map, and it looks very much like we could find this hut."

Under the damned ship. He reminded himself.

"But you're a student, and I'm a recently paroled ex-Imperial, so... maybe we should show this to someone else?" It stung to suggest it, he so wanted to have an adventure like this, it was the sort of thing he'd been reading about in the Alex Khine series and other novels that had used to pass the time aboard the Whaladon - but it also felt irresponsible.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She was taken up in the moment of it all, her wide eyes on the map and not entirely listening to his words of caution. She wanted to know, wanted to find the hut! According to the map though, there was a large cliff range that they would have to scale down to even get on the same level as the hut.

And then his words fully registered, and she blinked, leaning back in her seat.

"I guess," her answer was half-hearted and noncommittal. It brought her crashing back to reality in such a way as to take the wind out of her sails. There was still a gentle breeze that stirred them, but the previous gale was gone.

"I mean, we could talk to my dad if you really want to," she couldn't help the downturn of her voice, the lowering of her tone, "... or we could just go."

She had a healthy notion that Zem would hold them up with official whatevers and cautions about not going places they'd never been.

"I mean, I don't care if you're ex-Imperial. You're here now, and you say you want to change and all of that. Going on an adventure to find old relics from old Jedi mystics seems like the best way to show everyone that you want to help."

It was a twisting of logic, and she knew it. But his earnest eyes and blue hair that fell into those eyes were compelling. She didn't know why, just that they were. He was so earnest and wanted to do the right thing, and she wanted the same. In a way, weren't they both trying to prove their worth?

He did want to go. He wanted to explore this, he wanted to learn and seek knowledge - but he also didn't want to overstep the tenuous position he already found himself in. He was free, but he wasn't trusted, not yet. Teagan trusted him though. He found himself looking back at her, at how much she was chomping at the bit to just go and discover. He calmed himself and the split thoughts inside, letting out a long breath as he considered it all. He did have a lot to prove, she was right. Proving he was earnest in his desire could go along way toward that. Searching out hidden knowledge, lost relics and artifacts it was an exciting prospect.

Was this the Will of the Force? Was it his own selfish desire? He couldn't say, but he could read her as easily as he could any pages in a book - and she was ready for an adventure. If Xanatos asked to wait or to talk to someone first would she be willing to. And if not would he have to report her to someone. She was one of the only people here who seemed to fully trust him, and one of the first friends he'd made on Ossus. He sighed and nodded slowly. He had a feeling she was going, with or without him - and it would be safer if they went together.

"Okay, but we have to be smart." He said leaning in conspiratorially. "Rations, supplies and someway to signal back here if things go wrong."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

It was all the acknowledgment that she needed, and Teagan grinned wide.

"Well yeah, we'll get some rations and all that," she reassured.

Her hand passed over the old map one last time, then slid back to fold it over itself once more.

"I bet we can get to that cliff before the sun goes down, at least."

She slid her chair back, the legs making a rather audible screech against the stone tiles of the floor.

"We can get some comms from my dad's room, too. He keeps them just in case, so it's not like it's stealing or anything. He told me to use them if I ever need to, and I think this is one of those times."

The book she'd had open was closed with a snap, the map held apart, and Teagan licked her lips before holding the old parchment out for him to take.

"You should hold on to this for now, I think."

Her excitement was palpable as she held out the map to him and he experimentally reached forward for it. This was it, adventure. He took it with all the care one should give to such an ancient and valuable relic and nodded, his heart pounding a bass beat into his ears.

Yeah, we don't want to lose this." He agreed, making a note internally to NOT LOSE THE MAP.

"I'll see if I can wrangle up some rations and some of the supplies if you want to go after the comms and any gear we're going to need. Might raise some eyebrows if the former prisoner starts asking for ropes and climbing gear."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

2 HOURS LATER...

She had two comms, a rucksack with a change of clothes, a rolled up blanket belted to the bottom, another satchel that hid away climbing rope and two sets of shoe spikes, caribeners, an anchorgun, and a second ruck for Xan that held another few blankets and a tightly folded rain covering for when they'd inevitably need to make camp. It wasn't the most extravagant set of camping supplies, but it was what she could scrounge up on short notice, and to a degree she was rather proud of herself. Tied to her wrist was an old leather pouch that held a firestone and striker, which she'd grabbed at the last minute from one of Zem's nightstand drawers; he had the weirdest stuff in there, like a small never-used tea candle, an empty blaster holster, a small tin of something with a label that said it was for sore muscles, two dead comm unit battery slips, a fistful of stylus sticks scattered throughout, and a smattering of loose credit chits. It never failed to puzzle her, the sorts of things that grown-ups kept around.

But now, she was at the meeting spot that she and Xan had agreed to, sitting on a bench amidst the supplies she'd gathered and waiting for him.

Xanatos had been far less successful in his attempts. It seemed that despite his freedom trust was in short supply, which was understandable. Climbing gear had been a no go, the initial interaction in asking - hypothetically - about such gear raising enough eyebrows from the personnel handling supplies and provision requests that he had quickly laughed it off as a flight of fancy in regards potential hobbies.

At least the cafeteria staff had been more agreeable to his requests. a half-dozen protein bars, canned supplies in the form of mixed fruits and vegetables and some form of sausage that had been preserved to such a degree it would like outlive himself. Mention of his time aboard the Whaladon and the lack of anything with flavor had been enough to tug at some heartstrings and he had packed away a small bag of spices, curries and seasonings that would help to turn the individual components into something a bit nicer. The pièce de résistance of his efforts came in the form of a camping kit containing a small cooking pot and two sets of utensils and serving mugs and self-heating 'stove-top' which he couldn't imagine would be effective for more than a use or two at most.

Having exhausted any other good will he could have managed as a relative stranger, or at best oddity, he met up with Teagan at the bench with a small wave of his hand to signal his arrival. His heart was pounding as he hoped she'd had more luck, and worrying they were far in over their heads.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

His wave was met with her own, and Teagan rose to stand, leaving one of the packs on the bench.

"I got a pack for you," she started with a smile.

He looked excited and just a little bit nervous, and the young Lupine tried to smooth over any misgivings that he might have.

"Basic stuff though. Nothing fancy."

One hand dug into her back pockets, and she pulled out one of the two comm units she'd grabbed.

"Got you a comm though!"

He pushed his hair back with a returning smile, even if his own worries were obvious beneath it.

"Thanks," he started, taking the offered comm and looking it over. It seemed reasonably similar to the sort of units he he had used before and didn't expect there to be any real issues in using it, assuming they would.

"I got us food," He held his own supplies up in the canvas bag that had been given him along with the supplies, and then held up the camping kit triumphantly, "and something to cook it in."

"Unfortunately that seems to be about the extent of the trust I've earned so far." He clicked his tongue and gave a short shrug of his shoulders, "But it's better than nothing."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She grinned wide, at the thought of camping and preparing dinner over an open fire. Xan said that it wasn't much, but they wouldn't be able to get very far without food, and so what he brought with him now was just as important as what she had managed to scrounge up.

She gestured to the pack still resting on the bench.

"Our tent and coverings and blankets and stuff are in here."

A pat to the pack that she herself wore.

"I also got climbing stuff. Not a lot, but I think it'll be enough."

She didn't wait for any sort of invitation, and half-turned to grab the bulging backpack and hold it up for him to take.

Xanatos reached out and took hold of the pack, immediately noting its weight as he hefted it over a shoulder. He sat down the food and reached his free hand into its top to pull out and reveal the map he'd been entrusted with.

"You'll know the immediate areas better than I will, so you should probably navigate."

He didn't mind being a glorified pack mule, either. There was an honesty to manual labor that had been missing in his work in Imperial Intelligence.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

A Few Hours Later...

They'd gone past the library, following the map as best as they could interpret it, and as the sun reached its' zenith in the sky, the young Lupine slowed her pace. She bit her lip, and turned in a tight circle to take in the view around them. The hills were covered with scrag-bushes, and bled into the further-away mountains. Around them though, were still somewhat lush underbrush, fed by the water run-offs so that in the valleys, it was far more green than the hillier land.

"I bet we can make it to that cliff," she pointed out a far off outcropping, "... at least by the time the sun starts to hit the mountains."

Her pace resumed.

"We should be there at least by the time the sun hits the mountain tops, than we can set up camp."

There wasn't much to talk about for the next few hours, not that the brisk pace of their journey would have allowed for much small talk. The former Imperial found himself making mental note of the local flora and fauna, certainly enough to fill a respectable travel guide with.

He was suddenly left wondering if there may have been such a guide in the library, and mentally kicked himself for failing to consider that before they'd left.

If there wasn't, he'd have to consider beginning one himself upon their return.

Teagan had been right, as well, they'd arrived at the site she had pointed out just as the sun was cresting the mountain. He sat the pack down near a stone and took a moment to stretch, grateful to have the weight off his back, if even for a moment.

"I'll start setting up a fire and cooking pit." He offered, already setting his mind's eye to the task of clearing a spot for a fire and gathering kindling.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

For a few moments she watched him as he set about tending to the tasks of beginning a cooking fire. In the next moment, Teagan was swiveling about to determine the best spot for the tent that she'd packed. It wasn't anything fancy, like what Knight Rabeak had had with his perma-tent and everything, but it was still something that would offer shelter. It was a small, two-person tent that had probably seen better days, but it was still a small shelter in the face of anything else she would've been able to find.

There was a small clearing, and it was there that she had decided would be the best place for the tent. Twigs, stones, and leaves were swept away, and after that she unfurled the canvas tent. Interlocking alusteel rods were connected, and twenty minutes later the tent was up. It wasn't anything special. Just a two-person thing that was meant to keep away the most basic of elements; rain, light wind, small hail...

"Ok so, the tent is set up... "

It was time to think about dinner, and the light gurglings in the pit of her stomach were a damning indication of that fact.

"We can have some of that sausage you brought, or... "

Standing there, the young Lupine crouched down and reached out to run a finger over on of the stones he'd gathered to make a fire-pit ring.

"... we could maybe... hunt for something... ?"

Xanatos looked up from their provision bags. He had been making an inventory of items and had, in fact, just noted the sausages for their evening meal. The fire pit had only taken about 15 minutes to finish, enough small loose brush around to make gathering the necessities of a basic campfire easy. They would need to get at least one or two larger logs to keep the fire going afterward, but the basics were ready.

The mention of a hunt made him furrow his brow in thought, it would extend their supplies a bit, but he had to admit he wasn't familiar with the fauna that was found on Ossus. His few walks out of the Whaladon had been infrequent and usually short, just some exercise, fresh air or a walk with one of the Jedi to discuss matters he found himself having questions on.

"Is the hunting good here?" He said with a genuine curiosity.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She looked down to the stones, then out to the surrounding thicket beyond.

"There's a lot of jakrabs out here," she let out a long breath, making a face.

"Then again, it might just be easiest to stick with the sausages for tonight."

She let herself rock back to sit, and pulling her firestarter kit close, pulled out a striker and a wad of Harch bark. Pulling a strip off, she shoved it beneath the kindling before positioning the striker. Pulling a folding knife from the front pocket of her trousers, the young Lupine set it against the striker to try and spark a flame to the flammable Harch bark.

He watched her reaction, and wondered how much she had her hopes on hunting, truthfully he wouldn't mind the experience himself. The last time he had even camped was as a child back on... Mithos. That seemed like a lifetime ago, no - that was inaccurate. That seemed like two lifetimes ago. It had been his sword fighting instructor, Master L'eroux. He'd insisted, arguing all day with Xanatos' mother, that the young Noble needed the experience. That if Xanatos were to one day take his role as head of the household and manor, he would need to at least be aware of the essentials, that it was vital to his instruction. Xanatos had no idea if that had been true or not or if the old warrior simply saw the stir-crazy caginess he'd began developing locked away inside the mansion studying all the time. The experience remained one of his fondest memories of Mithos, of a world he could no longer return to.

As the flicker of flame finally sparked and grew in front of his eyes, his thoughts wandered to that distant planet, to an ancestral manor likely seized by the Empire, and a family name disgraced. It had been disgraced long before he had turned on the Empire, though only he and a few others were aware of that fact. Etanial let a sigh part his lips and ran a hand through his blue hair.

"Let's go hunting." He said, surprising himself with how confident it sounded. "We wouldn't want to deny ourselves an experience like that, would we?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast