Thread: Tell me how terrible and or amazing I and my characters are

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

Weird Tell me how terrible and or amazing I and my characters are

Everyone else is doing it. I couldn’t not.

Ask me, tell me, critique me, start a fan club for one of my characters. Whatever tickles your fancy.

I've been absolutely in love with your work with Bryna. It's so interesting and the way you're able to actively mess with the canvas of our history and what we assume to be true makes her story really sing, no matter which flavor of Bryna we get.

I'm glad that I'm getting a chance to write some with Salem, even though it appears he's preparing to shift his focus. He's been an interesting character just because you're very reserved on what bits the reader gets to glean from you.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I'm pretty sure I already started all the fan clubs for your characters! My main thing is I always want MOAR of them. <3<3

Salem - I am just endlessly fascinated with how you write him. Because you never reveal his inner thoughts he's almost a blank slate for the reader (or character who is interacting with him) to project motivations onto. It makes navigating a conversation with him so fun and also frustrating. I think it's a brilliant way to write him, and keeps him cloaked in mystery. I think he's a true psychopath. He's at his most open? with Razielle and yet even reading those threads I am not sure what he really feels about any of it. A means to an end or a true connection? I know they have a connection and yet I still don't know what he's really getting out of it. And that's pretty cool, imo. Someday I would LOVE to crack him open like an egg and see all the runny bits inside, or for someone else to do it. If you ever show us what makes him tick I would be all over it.

Vega - He's so twisted and messed up, which is a compliment I promise. You've earned every bit of his psychosis over the years and I hope he gets to go out in a blaze of glory/revenge or finally find some peace somehow. I feel like he's one of those "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" characters, though. I want to see what happens when he finds Loklorien again. Also I'm really interested to see how things go with him and Rhianna in their thread, even if that means that he didn't stay with LD to kick the Empire's ass together.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jenny
    Thank you, both.

It's interesting, that you both said the same sort of thing about Salem. It's a deliberate choice to write him without revealing too much about his inner thought process, for the most part, but sometimes it can make me feel a little like the posts I write with him are... thin on the ground with detail. It's a tricky thing to balance.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    A balance I think you do well. There is just enough meat as the reader that wants you to know more. Your ability to be descriptive with everything else in the scene helps with that but there is that aura of wanting to see what Salem does next is what drives the threads he's in until the great reveals