Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge of Glory

TheHolo.Net Poster Syrenia Renkl's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia's attention didn't wander off of Nystrom, watching her interact with Pionsar, who had been one of the best assistants she had in the past few years. As much as the pregnant woman was a remarkable field element, she also excelled at desk duties. She could even see that instruction would be a strong suit with her extensive patience and clear mind.

For now, the other woman left to retrieve the requested drinks.

The younger Renkl didn't forget what had been looming in her mind about the upcoming event. She was a force to reckon with, as most would agree; but she genuinely didn't know whether she'd dare ask the fashion designer to be her plus one for the gala. She wasn't shy per se; but she spent more time devoted to her career than attending to matters of the heart, even though she had appetites like most people.

She smiled when she watched Nystrom relax a bit at last.

"Alright, then."

She got to her feet with no hesitation, right on cue when the Lieutenant returned with tea for Renkl and water for Nystrom.

"Thank you, Lieutenant."

Pionsar took her leave on cue, closing the door behind her.

The Captain began to unbutton her uniform's jacket.

"I know this will come off for measurements; what else?"

She asked that matter of fact, knowing that every designer had their specifics, though most of the time they wanted clothing down to undergarments for proper measurements. At least, modesty wasn't an issue for Renkl, given her years spent in the military.

Rachael reached out with both hands to take the glass of water and beamed earnestly. "Thank you!"

Yes she was exuding a lot more energy then what was necessary, but that was how her nerves came out. Much the same when she was introduced to the captain - a ball of nervous energy that was on the verge of exploding at a moments notice. So that meant drinking the nice cold water that Pionsar gave her. She did attempt to drink it a bit more smoothly instead of gulping it down.

But then she choked. Not at Renkl taking her jacket off, just that she was ready to take off more so quickly! Most of her clients were talky talky and drinky drinky before stripping. Then again, she was dealing with a member of the Imperial Army. They were quick to get right now to business.

Geesh.

She tapped at her chest and smiled apologetically. "Wrong pipe."

She cleared her throat and offered Renkl a choice, trying to convince herself seeing the captain in next to nothing wasn't making her nervous. She was a professional clothing designer (in training) and wouldn't objectify her client. "Most accurate measurements would be down to your undergarments. Otherwise I can work with what you're most comfortable with. Can even look at the sizes on your uniform to replicate it."

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia didn't know what to make of finding Nystrom so refreshing and cute. That was annoying to the Captain who had gone into the habit of being career-focused. It wasn't that she disliked the idea of dating, but most of her numerous prospects were just not to her liking. And then the fashion designer barged in and she was feeling like a teenager again. It was frustrating, really.

As she put her jacket on the back of her chair, she caught how the other brunette was choking. Without thinking twice, she had already covered distance between them, standing next to her chair, about to ask if she was okay.

"Oh, you had me worried for a moment," she replied with a slightly concerned smile when the other woman said it was just "the wrong pipe."

Without thinking, she gently squeezed Nystrom's shoulder and took a few steps back.

"Undergarments it is then,"
    she replied matter-of-fact.

Walking back to her desk, she took a long sip from her tea, and then kicked her boots off, and removed her holster and belt, then pants and shirt. Her undergarments were plain black and meant to be practical and comfortable. While missions could try her physical resistance, she saw no reason not to make herself as comfortable as possible.

She padded towards the center of the room, and quirked a brow at Nystrom.

"The Army makes sure to smack your ego and your modesty early on," she quipped.

Rachael was delighted that her eyes were facing the wall because they were wide like saucers at not only the captain being worried about her, she also squeezed her shoulder in reassurance. It was terribly odd but also amazingly sweet. No one was sweet to her like that. No one. She was just an orphan that happened to get a sweet deal through university because of her grades since the other track that was usually easier for someone like her was enlisting. With her foot and mouth syndrome, she'd be skinned alive in basic training and probably end up shooting herself in the face because she point the barrel of the blaster in the wrong direction. Thereby blowing her head off and saving the Drill Sargent further grief except an incident report.

She was thankful her mind had a knack for fashion, hence the high profile internship at Romanage. The portfolio she submitted won over the audacious Yessica Faunton who hated everything but chose the nobody orphan whose second best quality were her run on sentences.

Eying the captain up and down, she managed to look her in the eye and snickered. "Just more reasons why I'd never make it in the military."

She squinted playfully while setting the glass down. That took up all of her courage and then looked away with a nervous chuckle. "So..." she dug into her pocket and pulled out an old fashion tape measure. "Let's get down to business. Arms up!"

With a thin smile, Rachael sounded her most comfortable and confidant as she moved behind Syrenia. She extended the white tape around her bust without hesitating, then lowered her arms to get around the waist and lastly squatted to get around her hips, memorizing each number. "Okay. Got it."

Rising to her feet, she picked up the datapad and keyed in notes. "You can get dressed now..."
    Last edited by Rachael Nystrom; Oct 27th, 2019 at 07:15:46 PM.

AKA
    Natacha
    Oblivious to Rachael's shock at her caring instinct to make sure she was alright, Syrenia was simply happy that the other brunette was alright. She found it really sweet and endearing how the fashion designer could be both so on point with her work, and yet a bit of a klutz as well. She hoped that Miss full of her talented shit behaved with her; because Nystrom was definitely the best designer she had worked with, and she hoped that after the interim with the obnoxious monster, she might be able to have her personal customers. The Captain knew she would be happy to help spread the word.

She couldn't help laughing at what Rachael said of why she would have never been a good fit for the military. "At least, you're clever enough to realize it before attempting to enlist and being a pain in your instructors' ass."

She grinned and canted her head to the side, still perfectly comfortable in her undergarments.

"Also, I'm glad you're in a position to help me with dressing up in way that does not drive me batty for one of those gala things."

Once the old fashion tape measure was out, she obediently followed Nystrom's instructions. Nodding when it was done, she promptly put her uniform back on.

"You're a gem. I'm glad that I could steal you."

She paused, realizing that there was still something else on her mind.

"I don't know how your fashion works, but do you normally get invited to these galas? I know I saw your boss at a few."

After all, she had no reason to embarrass herself if Nystrom was already invited to it and had a date.

During the last bit of measuring, Rachael hummed with understanding. "Gotta like what you wear to feel confident in it. And since you said this isn't your sorta scene, kinda made sense to mesh formal with military formal so you can hopefully feel more like yourself there. Maybe you can have some fun too!"

It was a ramble, but a pertinent ramble. She was in her element and could focus better, offering more insight to how clothes could invoke emotions and make one feel beautiful on the outside to match what was inside. Though she couldn't predict how the Renkl sisters would behave. They were throwing things when she first met them and even if they were to be on their best behavior, it didn't mean they couldn't find a place to cause a private scene with one another. That was her impression at least!

With the compliment, Rachael's finger slipped on the pad which accidentally widened the waist of the pant suit making the captain look rotund. She hastily tapped and slid the profile back into place in case Renkl stole a peek. Needless to say, no one ever called her a gem before either and it took her by surprise. More than the genuine concern that was shown to her moments ago.

"Oh yeah. Not surprised you've seen Yessica here and there. She's always getting invited to those sorts of things. Her company does do some charity work and she's a well known person in the industry," she explained. "But for little ol' me?"

She looked up and chuckled at the idea. "Nah. Interns don't really go to those things. Unless it's to do background stuff for the boss. Then you're incognito."

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia smiled to Nystrom's smart remarks about fashion and why this outfit would likely made her feel better than previous ones she had had to put up with for galas. It wouldn't turn such events into her favorite settings; but hell, she wouldn't mind managing to enjoy them just a bit, and maybe even have some fun too, as the designer said.

"I hope so. I tend to run away as soon as I can, so I can eat something more consistent than finger food, and if possible get comfortable and relax."

Off duty time wasn't always so extensive that she took it for granted.

Oblivious to what her praise did to the other brunette, Syrenia felt tension in her shoulders at the designer's answer to her question about the gala. She had thought it would be easier for her; but now she realized that she had no choice but to ask Nystrom out the good old fashioned way. It wasn't that she didn't know how to do so; but it wasn't necessarily where she shone either.

She slid her hands in her pants' pockets, leaning slightly against her desk and looked at the other woman.

"Would you like to go with me?"

She realized it might not be interpreted the correct way, so she clarified, just in case.

"As my date, I mean."

"Okay," she announced and with a sharp nod, saved the work on the pad. "So ... this should be pretty easy to get done before the gala. Need a good time to bring the final product by for a fitting to make sure I don't need to tweak anything. Gotta fit right or you're back to being not so comfy during the party."

She smiled and tapped in a few more notes about the hem and what stitching would work best to keep that military look. As she was oblivious to what Syrenia was warring with, she kept babbling. "I'll need to know when's a good time to come back here for you to try it on. Need at least a day or two to do any alterations. So keep that in mind."

If she had to pull an all nighter, she would. The captain was a busy woman and who knew how their schedules would line up.

But apparently they were lining up all kinds of weird because Rachael misunderstood what was just said. Or really asked of her.

Her nose and lips were squished together trying to fathom why the captain wanted to bring her with. Maybe to piss Yessica off? Syrenia was not a fan of the woman so that wouldn't surprise her. And that was when her eyes widened as it hit her that had to be it! Why else would the captain ask about going to these events and seeing Yessica at some of them.

It really was too generous of an offer, but mostly Rachael was concerned about making an inadvertent ass of herself since she was so nervous and clumsy. She didn't need to make a bad impression or cause a scene that would embarrass Captain Renkl.

Of course what Renkl said next stunned the intern that Rachael leaned forward with wide confused eyes, who slightly turned her head as if trying to hear something better. "You want me to ..."

Her mouth hung open, unable to finish the sentence or question - Rachael wasn't sure what she was trying to say.

"You're asking me out?" Now she was squinting, eyes darting back and forth around the office because this couldn't be her reality. "Like ... out out?" She emphasized the last part by pointing in the air after every 'out'.

"... willingly?" She added after a second because this was too good to be true. No one ever gave her a second glance, especially a ranking officer in the damn Imperial Army!
    Last edited by Rachael Nystrom; Nov 29th, 2019 at 10:46:40 PM.

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia nodded to Nystrom's words about needing one last fitting before the gala. She fetched the datapad on her desk and flipped through her schedule in the days prior to the blasted event. She stopped though as the fashion designer continued to ramble. She didn't know what to think of finding that so damn endearing. Nystrom was smart, quirky, and downright adorable.

"I have two possible times before the gala, two days before it. Would that work for you?"

She felt way less sure of herself, despite her confident sabacc face, when she asked the other brunette out though. She could give orders to hundreds of people and be confident about it; but asking someone out was a whole other beast.

The look on Nystrom's face confused her as well, and she expected a flat out no for whatever reason. Really the other woman didn't have to give her any in the first place. Then she registered the shock in her expression, and the realization.

The question that came next floored her. She couldn't comprehend how weird it was for Rachael to be asked out as such, and willingly, as she had put it.

"Yes, very willingly. I mean, I'd rather just hang out in a lower-key way; which I mean we could do if we scamper off early on."

She was the one slightly rambling, and she felt awkward, which would probably make her sisters roll their eyes, even Natalia if she was around.

"If you'd rather not, that's fine. I... I'd just be happy to have you as my date even if it's a formal and annoying event."

Rachael couldn't care less about scheduling time for the final fitting anymore because there was an important matter thrust onto her lap that needing an answer. The captain had willingly asked her out to one of the biggest galas in the system. No professionally, not just to have someone on her arm to quiet her sister but an actual date.

She did believe her because from what she saw and heard in the short time of being around the captain, Syrenia Renkl did not use words like scamper. It made the young intern question if she was awake or not because this couldn't be her reality that the well spoken officer was babbling because of her.

"Uh ..." She nervously licked her lips and looked awkward, shifting her weight back and forth. "... so ... wow!"

A small laugh bubbled up that made Rachael look away at the floor. "This is a first. Usually this happens in my head because no one asks me out."

She winced, eyes squinting tight while making a fist. Her fanciful daydreams were numerous but never shared. "I wasn't supposed to say that out loud ..."

Embarrassment flushed throughout her body that her ears were burning. "... and since I did, you can totally take back asking me out. I won't be offended ..."

AKA
    Natacha
    It was ironic how Syrenia was a force to be reckoned with in the military; and had earned every bit of power and medals she had gathered over the years; but in her not-very-existent private life; she was drastically different. She refused to settle for what didn't align with her soul; but she could be a klutz about the whole dating scene. She cared a lot, maybe too much at times; but she was very much a low-key person. Heck, many would be shocked to know her love for cooking at home and watching romantic holo movies, when not reviewing how to fine tune and push her soldiers even more.

She felt horribly nervous about Nystrom turning her down; but she would respect a negative answer. She wasn't the kind to be pushy when she wasn't wanted. That only made everyone miserable.

She stared in shock at the other brunette's revelation that nobody asked her out. She couldn't really comprehend that; but maybe it just proved she was the weird one in the Renkl family, even though she wondered how Natalia was these days. The twins had always been all business and even more secretive and utterly rare play even when younger.

She waited expectantly for Rachael to say yes or no; and when the answer was mostly a blushing fashion designer and more awkwardness, she shook her head.

Realizing that they might be dancing around it over and over again, she managed to gather some more courage.

"I'd love to get to know you better. So yeah, I'm still asking you out."

And there it was again. Confirmation that the captain wanted to ask her out and get to know her better? This was too good to be true and the confusion on her face never vanished. In only deepened the lines on her forehead as Rachael's brain attempted to accept what was happening.

"Just ..." she held up a finger and spoke with a stupefied tone, "... one second."

That same finger joined her thumb and aggressively pinched her forearm. She winced and mouthed 'ow' while flicking her arm from the self inflicted sting. "So, okay. This really is my reality."

Which meant that Syrenia saw that.

Shit!

Rachael's face grew long, pulling her lips inward with embarrassment, and nodded with acceptance that her quirkiness took over. "So!" she said after her lips opened with a soft pop. "I'd be really excited ... Well, am excited considering my off the wall behavior here, that I would be really happy to accept you asking me out as my reality and would like to go with you. To the event. Thing. That I got you fitted for."

Her head hurt with how dumb that was.

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia kept thinking she couldn't find Rachael more adorable; and it seemed that the other brunette was set on proving her wrong. She couldn't help chuckling as the fashion designer pinched herself to make sure that the discussion was real. There was no mockery in her expression and behavior though; she found Rachael's attitude and quirks utterly refreshing.

As much as she was proud of her military career and how she served the Empire as a patriot, Syrenia also cared about having a personal life; and Rachael made her forget the overwhelming professional aspect of her everyday life.

"Fantastic!"

She had replied with utter, almost girlish, glee. And she didn't care.

"I'm happy to hear that. I promise we won't get stuck longer than necessary to ransack the buffet, and show your exquisite fashion creations."

She chuckled.

"That's the good thing about being the "secondary" Renkl of the bunch. As long as I show up for a bit, they're happy to just have my Moff sister around."

She was delighted and proud to have Rachael as a her plus one for the gala; but really she was looking forward to spending time with her away from the crowd too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12