Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge of Glory

TheHolo.Net Poster Syrenia Renkl's Avatar
    AKA
    Natacha

Closed Edge of Glory

"I can show up in my uniform, Tatiana!"

The older Renkl sister glared at the younger sibling. "Don't make me Moff Renkl you, Syrenia! It's a huge event; and you're as much nobility as military!!"

"Don't make me Captain Renkl you, damn it!"

The two brunettes stared at each other, as if they were about to get at each other's throats. Although they were alone in the large patio, the atmosphere was heavy.

Tatiana eventually broke the standstill and walked up to her troublesome sibling, not caring that even with heels, Syrenia was still a tad taller than her. It had never fazed the Moff whose tag name had been the Kinslayer since her early days in the Navy during the civil war.

"What now? You going to scold me some more, Moff Shorty?"

The Moff suddenly punched her sister. Syrenia growled and stared at her before retaliating, her sister unable to fully avoid the blow.

Both Renkls then stared at each other in shock; before suddenly erupting in laughter at the same time.

"You're a brat," Tatiana spat.

"You're a mean bitch," Syrenia retorted, although both of them were grinning at this point.

Certain things changed; but harsh sisterly love was still a Renkl trait; even though they were both adults and had climbed up the imperial ladder.

"Alright, you said you have this amazing fashion designer that shouldn't turn me into some ostentatious meringue. Let's meet her."

Tatiana tucked a wild strand of hair behind her ear, uncaring that a bruise was forming on her cheekbone.

As for Syrenia, she tried to tame her short brown curls with little results. She smoothed her slant grey uniform, not giving a thought about the black eye forming on the left side of her otherwise pretty face. It wasn't the first one, nor the last one she got in her family life or her career. As she straightened her posture, she heard the very subtle whirring of her left shoulder and elbow, a permanent reminder of some older battle wounds.

Tatiana went to press a button on the wall terminal, asking for their guest to come in.

Rachael Nystrom, assistant to the fabulous Yessica Fantoun - a high level fashion designer for Romanage's, an expensive, chic, clothing label - waited patiently with her mentor. They were both instructed to wait patiently as Moff Renkl spoke with her sister about this last minute arrangement. Rachael thought this extremely odd since the fitting was booked weeks ago, but who was she to argue? The wealthy and powerful often had bizarre requests. One of the last rones was creating a dress out of cargo netting as a statement against animal cruelty.

The credits required to create the strapless dress based on all the hours put in to sewing up every damn square with multicolored vinyl was more than Rachael's salary in a year. It was sickening because that money would have been better suited as a donation to actually fund relief efforts.

She spared a glance at her mentor. Yessica was busy tapping at her datapad, adjusting options that Captain Renkl would prefer. Her blonde hair was perfect, every strand pulled together tightly in an overlapping braid that started at the side and met at the back of her head, weaved together into a low hanging singular one. The dress worn was by her own design - dark blue and black patterned from shoulder to thigh with a mid slit, with see through fabric that covered part way down either arm. She looked exquisite where Rachael looked like an unrefined mess.

Dark hair was tied back haphazardly and what was loose hung wildly around Rachael's face. Her grey blouse was lightly tucked into black slacks, the first two buttons of the blouse opened to show off the gold necklace around her neck with a small trinket displayed of two trapezoids facing away from the center. Yessica always told Rachael that her personal fashion sense was atrocious but the girl's natural talent to create art from clothing onto others was a gift. Rachael was a complete conundrum to the veteran designer.

Hazel eyes widened at the door in hearing muffled yelling, pounding, and then laughter. Rachael's eyes squinted at her mentor, who was clearly unfazed by the incident by still tapping away. She licked her lips and started chewing on the inside of her cheek, waiting and keeping questions to herself when the doors finally swooshed opened.

She quietly yelped, biting too hard on her cheek with surprise. Yessica rose gracefully, smiling towards Moff Renkl as if nothing strange at all happened behind these closed doors.

"Thank you so much for the invitation, Moff Renkl!" Yessica's fluid voice hit all the right notes for pleasantries, but was entirely fake. "Romanage Industries was delighted to hear from you again."

Rachael darted her head past the doors to see if the coast was really cleared because she swore she heard a fight here! She looked to Moff Renkl to Yessica to Captain Renkl, really scrutinizing the later because one of her cheeks were red - and not from blush.

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia could have exquisite manners; but she never had the political and aristocratic flare her sister could retain while handling all sorts of tasks, from fashion frivolities to killing an enemy. She was fine with that though. She just really wished she didn't have to put up with this whole mess. She understood the general purpose of it; but she would still be fine showing up in her dress uniform, featuring all the commendations earned in her still young career. And as military she had the rightful excuse to always remain in uniform when she chose to.

She looked at the woman who first entered, and she already wanted to strangle her. The whole dressed perfectly with ostentatious neatness made her skin crawl. She trusted Tatiana in her pick, but boy, she bet it was going to be painful. She was happy to let Tatiana greet the woman with required fuss.

In the meantime, Syrenia peeked at the second woman, who seemed to wonder what she was walking into. The look on her face when she saw her was telling. Syrenia reached a hand to her face, slightly wincing at the tender flesh where her black eye must be forming. She grinned and shrugged before refocusing on that other brunette. She looked she was either fresh from a flea market or a war zone. It was amusing to the military, and somewhat relaxing.

While Tatiana discussed with Yessica, Syrenia beckoned the other woman closer, so she would be inside the room. Afterwards, she closed the large doors behind them. Smiling to the other brunette, she introduced herself.

"Captain Syrenia Renkl." She extended a hand. "Don't mind the black eye. Moff Renkl always has to wrangle me into putting up with frills and lace or whatever is currently in fashion."

Rachael scrunched her nose because she thought her eyesight went wonky seeing the captain gestured for her to enter. She even thrust a finger up to point at herself just to confirm. The amused look on the younger Renkl's face made her hustle through the doorway, slightly yelp in surprise as the doors began to closed, and immediately chuckled quietly at her antics. She rolled her lips inward and smoothed out her clothing in an attempt to regain her composure.

Yessica and Moff Renkl were enjoying each other's company, laughing and chatting up details about the upcoming social event. Which meant she was off flying solo with entertaining the captain. At least she was smiling towards her and it didn't appear fake. That was refreshing.

She awkwardly crossed the distance and shot her arm out so they could shake hands. "RchaelNystrom! Reallyhappytomeetyouandyourblackeye!"

Her eyes squinted, lips pressed together tightly as heat warmed her cheeks utterly embarrassed that her nerves came out.

"Heh." She chuckled and let her hand drop loosely, letting it swing back and forth as she attempted to regroup. "So ... no frills or lace. Unless that works with your body. That's, ya know, what I do. In style or not, I like making sure the dress works for you no matter how long it takes."

She really hoped that this disastrous first impression didn't destroy this opportunity for her internship! Not many beings in her position had the chance to design a dress for a high ranking Imperial.

AKA
    Natacha
    That brunette was one hell of a spaz. Syrenia had a hard time wrapping her mind around the way she had managed to work with that walking annoyance that was impeccable Yessica. At least that one was all over her sister. It was pathetic to think that this fashion designer could even think one moment she could wrap Tatiana around her finger. The younger Renkl guessed it was why her sister was damn good at politics, while she had never wandered away from military. Armed forces was her territory; but pleasantries made her gag.

She quirked a brow as she accepted the handshake, providing a firm one as she listened to the excited and way too endearing greetings from this Nystrom woman. She would go insane with a soldier like that on the field; but there was something unexpectedly charming about this newcomer. "Well, me and my black eye are happy to meet you as well," she replied in a very tongue-in-cheek way.

"I'll be clear. I'd rather just wear my dress uniform. But even I have to appease the powers that be. So I need something that is not a bloody uniform."

She leaned closer to the other brunette. "If you have the tuxedo of the century to suggest, I'll take it over any dress or skirt you can come up with."

Taking a step back, she canted her head to the side, and stared at Rachael. "Impress me," she dared Nystrom.

"Er..." she chuckled awkwardly as her hand retracts.

A tiny nervous bubble of laughter was choked down before Rachael pointing a finger at the leisurely swollen tissue that was forming around the captain's eye. "You sure... you don't ...? You know what. Never mind. Tell me what you want and we'll start there."

She listened empathically, wanting to understand how the younger Renkl wanted to be presented. She definitely got the impression that Renkl the Moff was pulling strings here, AKA the powers that be, and by the sounds of things moments ago, the Moff was not pulling the punches!

"Okay. No frills, laces, and ruffles to drive you nuts." She nods. "Got it."

Racheal took a step back and her posture immediately transformed from the clumsy, nervous, seamstress, to a confident tradeswoman with a keen eye for fashion.

"Tuxedo. No. Not with your figure."

Her nose crinkled in thought while walking around the captain to take in every curve, length of arms and legs, her bust size with professionalism.

"I'm thinking more ... three piece suit."

She tore her eyes from the younger Renkl's figure so their eyes met, and this time the injured eye was less distracting. "It's professional. Also you want a uniform and that's pretty close as you can get without it being one. And I can play with different designs and colors to make it sleek and commanding. Basically you get what you want and appease the uppity upper ups. What do you think?"

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia slightly narrowed her eyes - despite the pain caused by the swelling and bruising - at Rachael when she almost said something about her inconsequential injury. Her expression returned back to neutral when the fashion girl let the matter drop. The Renkl way of handling things and showing tough, if not brutal love among sisters, wasn't for an outsider to discuss. Tatiana and her might not always see eye to eye; but Syrenia trusted her older sibling with her life, and would defend her life with her own, for both professional and personal reasons. Some days it pained her that Tatiana's twin had wandered off more than fifteen years ago. All Renkls had undying loyalty to the Galactic Empire; but Natalia had chosen her own path, off the beaten tracks, while Tatiana and Syrenia served in official capacities.

Coaxing herself before she risked dwelling deeper into her ruminations, the Captain returned her attention to the brunette before her. She was away from duty for a reason, a frivolous but political one.

Hopefully that Nystrom girl knew what the hell she was doing.

Syrenia stood still; waiting for the fashion professional to come up with suggestions, which would hopefully take her comments and preferences into account.

She quirked a brow at the mention of lack of tuxedos in her upcoming options; but kept her mouth shut for the time being. After all, she had to trust the professional. At least Yessica was still discussing her sister's outfit, which was better for her, for she bet she'd strangle the proper designer before she could have spit two sentences out.

When her eyes met Rachael's, she was pleasantly surprised by the suggestion of a three piece suit. That was a new one to her; but she loved the idea. Her lips slightly curved upwards and she subtly took a half-step forward.

"You have my full attention, Miss Nystrom," she replied. This sounded like the perfect compromise

"I would normally chose black and blue shades; but I am open to suggestions, as long as we stray away from yellow and orange."

With the way Syrenia said full attention, it made her feel like some little cadet that received a commendation by her commanding officer. Felt rather nice and it made her nerves settle a little. Her mask slipped away a little, allowing her to speak a little more freely, jokingly.

Rachael's face was heavy with disgust at those last two color choices. "Why the hell would I dress you in that? You're not some fuzzy porg."

She rolled her eyes and went to work on the datapad, holding it out lengthwise. "But seriously tho. Stand there and don't move as I take your measurements."

The datapad's camera honed in on the captain and worked on uploading her basic measurements starting from the boots. "I'll have to take exact measurements to confirm with what's here, but at least you'll get an idea. And.... astral. I think you'll like this."

She tapped excitedly, customizing colors, buttons, lengths, and fabric choices. She kept the fabric in a save folder marked 'Bruised Captain' for later to sift through once the color palates were agreed upon.

"Here." Rachael turned the pad around for Syrenia. "What'cha think?"

She had chosen black with Imperial inspired gold buttons for the jacket. The vest's were tamer, just a shade darker to accentuate how the fabric was cut. The shirt underneath was white, trimmed with black, the collar snug and imitating an officer's.

AKA
    Natacha
    The look on Rachael's face at the mention of yellow and orange, and the comparison with a porg, brought an amused grin on Syrenia's lips. She had a sense of humor, and this was refreshing.

"Anyone thinking of me as a fuzzy porg would likely end with more than a black eye, even if it was my sister."

Tatiana on cue interrupted her exchange with Yessica. "The day I call you a porg I will be senile," she snapped. Both sisters glared at each other but smirked in amusement.

As Syrenia returned her attention upon Rachael, she stood in perfect stillness, her years in the military speaking for themselves, while her measurements were taken. She nodded at the mention that more precise ones would have to be taken care of later.

She grew curious as the fashion professional seemed quite excited as she worked on some design on her datapad. Watching her work was a compelling view to the Captain. The quirky klutz disappeared as the creative frenzy took over. It was quite a dichotomy, which she found even more endearing. There was no pretense or obnoxious charade while Rachael worked. She was just doing it, instead of rambling about it.

When the datapad was handed to her so she could look at the woman's suggestion, she closed the distance between them and took a close look at it. That was a very welcome contrast to frills and other elaborate outfits that had driven her crazy since her childhood.

"Oh," was all she said for a moment, reviewing it as an idea sparked in her mind. Not wanting to have Tatiana potentially argue over it, she discreetly leaned to whisper into Rachael's ear.

"Would it be possible to adjust the breast pocket to display my rank bars and decorations, at least the rank?"

She wouldn't be able to wear her uniform, but if she could make the outfit as close to one as possible, she would be happy.

These two sisters were crazy with snide remarks that were supposed to be sibling banter? If it was all fighting with fists and words, these instances made her happy she was an only child.

The captain's silence was making her nervous. She did take it as a good sign that nothing was said right away - she had the feeling if the design was miserable Renkl would have immediately stated that outright. Her left foot began to tap, nerves taking over, and sped up when Renkl invaded her personal space and spoke in her ear.

Her face was beat red, eyes wide as saucers and lips pulled inward to keep the gasp contained. She worked her mouth and finally felt confident no odd squeaks would come out of her mouth, but she did have to clear her throat to make sure her voice remained strong.

"Sure ..." her voice cracked ever so slightly. "I mean, sure!"

She lowered her voice, wishing her nerves weren't so heightened. "I mean ... sure." She said with a forced deeper, confident tone.

Refocusing on the screen instead of the captain hovering over her shoulder, feeling her breath against her neck, she expanded the suit jacket and outlined the breast pocket. She removed the current design and pulled up the image of Renkl in uniform that she just took. She copied the rank bars and the decorations, adding it to the suit design. "I might have to narrow the lapels, but I think I can get it all in there."

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia didn't normally like spazzy. It easily got on her nerves; but Nystrom had this flustered and cute blend that offered an agreeable counterpoint to her professional skills. The fact she was considering such things surprised the Captain. The last thing she had wanted was to be present for this frill and fashion horror; but Nystrom was making it almost palatable.

While the younger Renkl knew how to enjoy her time off, she wasn't the kind to really have wandering eyes. And here she was, unable no to find Nystrom quite easy and even really nice on the eye. She was no celibate individual; but she didn't either have the voracious appetites that characterized her older sister. Syrenia had little interest in flings, and either fellow military didn't catch her eye, or the aristocrats hovering around the Renkl family drove her insane. There were reasons she wasn't in the military. While she had no interest in running away as her sister Natalia had, she was a far cry from the socialite and political animal Tatiana could be.

Nystrom's reaction made Syrenia stand quite close all the time she was working on adjusting the design per her request.

"Thank you,"
    she whispered into the other brunette's ear, before returning her attention to what she was doing. She appreciated the woman's willingness to work with her to make the whole outfit as close to a dress uniform as possible.

"I can let you borrow the lapels later this week, before I leave for a few days."

She had agreed to personally take some new volunteers who supported the formal military of the planet, on a field trip on the other side of the planet. So she would be fine without her insignia and assorted bars for that time.

"Would you be free to come get them at the Kertoz Garrison?"

Rachael had no idea if Renkl was messing with her or was just trying to be discreet so her older sister wouldn't listen in on their conversation. Maybe it was a bit of both? All she knew is that the whispered thank you made her neck hairs stand up from the shiver it elicited.

"Is everything alright over there?" Yessica said in that demanding tone. She was certain her protege was doing fine since the captain hadn't barked at her, but the squeaks and muttering conversation made her a tad concerned.

"Totally fine, Ms. Fantoun! Just working on some details for the captain!" she said with forced confidence. "Almost done too!"

She pulled up her schedule to see when she was free. "I'm sure I can make some time for you."

Then her eyes went wide once again, her head snapping towards the captain. Thankfully her surprise overwhelmed her because their faces were mere inches away. "The garrison?! I... I don't have any kinda clearance for something like that."

AKA
    Natacha
    When Yessica interrupted, Syrenia glared at her, not caring what Tatiana might think of her hostility. Her older sister actually seemed more surprised than anything else about her being so close to Nystrom. The Captain even wondered whether it was a grimmer of amusement and curiosity she saw in the Moff's eyes.

Whatever it was, Tatiana seemed fine with her younger sister not throwing further fits about the whole outfit affair.

She grinned when Nystrom reassured the senior fashion designer; and was glad when the insufferable woman returned her focus upon the older Renkl. The less she had to deal with her, the better it was for Syrenia.

The moment Nystrom looked at her in shock, her face way too close for comfort, eliciting unexpected reactions within Syrenia, the Captain was glad the other brunette's surprised question prevented her mind from wandering.

She took a slight step back, though still fairly close to the fashion designer. "I am confident that as Head of Planetary Security Forces, I can arrange clearance for you."

In the time that it took Rachael to process what the captain had said, she stared blankly at Renkl's face as if her brain switched off for a few seconds. When it finally triggered realization and how foolish she was not to realize Renkl could just give her temporary clearance, she laughed nervously, looking away in complete embarrassment.

"Oh ... I knew that too!" She fought off her body wanting to jerk in frustration but Yessica's voice caused her to stiffen.

"Captain Renkl? Are you sure everything is all right back there? I assure you that my intern is quite capable despite her sudden outburst ..." The lead designer's eyes were burning with disappointment at Rachael.

Racheal could feel Yessica's gaze disintegrating a hole in the back of her head. She clamped her mouth shut and worked on highlighting times that she could meet with the captain, hoping that Renkl wasn't as livid as her boss was.

AKA
    Natacha
    "Did I suddenly get a second black eye, Miss Nystrom?"

Syrenia couldn't help jesting when the fashion designer gave her the blank stare of doom, before realizing who she was. She had seen similar looks on cadets' faces when she had handed their asses to them during training.

"Uh uh," she replied with a wink.

When Yessica interrupted them, and said unwarranted things about Nystrom, Syrenia gave her the most Renkl stare possible, as if the other woman was nothing but an insect she merely tolerated.

"Miss Nystrom has been a gem. Definitely the best fashion designer I ever got to work with. You made a stellar choice in bringing her with you."

Syrenia was certain of the pointed look her sister gave her this time.

Returning her attention to the other brunette, she smiled.

"Would you be able to take my measurements when you come to the garrison then? So you might be able to have everything you need to work."

"Oh!" Yessica' surprise was evident because she was certain Rachael's unique personality had annoyed other affluent clients. The woman was gifted and that's what saved her with her verbal gaffs, but never had she been complemented so wonderfully.

She shared a look with the Moff who appeared confused as well by her sister's response before returning her focus to the captain. "I'm delighted to hear that and will make sure she is properly rewarded for pleasing you, Captain Renkl."

For the first time since Rachael worked with Yessica, the woman gave her a proud smile. Rachael wondered if she were sleeping because this whole afternoon had to be a dream where she somehow didn't embarrass herself in front of Imperial dignitaries. In fact, the playful teasing from the captain showed that her aloofness and laughing at a moments notice was actually welcomed. She fought the urge to pinch herself to make sure this was reality.

"Uh ... yeah. I can do that too while I'm there. That way I don't waste too much of your time, Captain." She handed her datapad to Renkl and pointed out her calendar for the next two weeks. "Just let me know what works for you."

AKA
    Natacha
    Syrenia was relieved that the insufferable Yessica had only one option and took it, which was to admit that Rachael was talented and doing well. The younger Renkl wasn't one to offer praise when it wasn't justified. She shared criticism as much as compliments when individuals had earned it, and the intern had gone above and beyond when it came to fashion services.

"See that you do. I am looking forward to my outfit for this upcoming event, and my sister will confirm it is an utmost rarity."

Tatiana gave her a puzzled look, but it was brief and had disappeared by the time Yessica looked back at the Moff.

Afterwards, she returned her attention to Nystrom and she was surprised by the look on the other brunette's face, though she found it quite endearing.

"I appreciate it,"
    she replied when taking the datapad. She looked through the calendar and settled for a convenient time.

"I will see you then. I entered the info for the garrison. Have a good day."

Without further ado, she bid goodbye to her sister and Yessica as well for duty awaited.

Kertoz Garrison, Six Days Later.

Syrenia had done her best to avoid her sister since the tailoring session. Tatiana had left her a message reminding her she had to have a plus one for the reception, and offered a list of potential candidates. It irked the Captain for her sister didn't care whether she had one or not. But it seemed that as the younger sister, she was supposed to abide. She understood in a way, because while her own personal life wasn't that much of a big deal to the public eye, Tatiana as a Moff was much more visible, and refusing to entertain rumors had been a source of power.

She just knew she wanted none of the candidates, regardless of how rich, powerful, or pleasing to the eye they were.

There might be only one person she would consider; but she was baffled enough about how she had been thinking about said person in the last few days. It wasn't some grand romantic crush from one of the holo-movies she used to watch, she thought; but rather a genuine interest in getting to know her better. And really, being Captain Renkl's plus one at some big reception was a far cry from it, she thought.

Still cursing herself for her ruminations, her assistant appeared in her office, announcing that the object of her thoughts had just been handed her visitor pass and was on her way to see her. Syrenia acknowledged it, and once alone again for a short time, she finished to organize the different reports she had been reviewing, so she would be able to give her full attention to Rachael Nystrom.

Rachael said absolutely nothing because she wasn't used to people standing up for her and handing out compliments, which was a rarity for the captain as admitted. She wasn't exactly meek, but Rachael's awkwardness made it difficult for people to take her seriously and was grateful that the hard ass Yessica saw through that and accepted her as an intern on talent alone. It was why she wouldn't rock the ship with her, but an influential Imperial family can do it as much as they wanted!

When she took the datapad back, Rachael blinked several times to bring reality into focus and nodded. "Yeah. See you there, Captain."

Yessica looked stunned but redoubled her efforts with Tatiana's needs for the function as her intern plopped down on a nearby chair, curled her legs on the comfy cushion, and worked on her schedule - occasionally glancing at the doors where Renkl departed, leaving Rachae in a daze.

She affixed the visitor bar on her jacket lapel with clear instructions that it was never to be taken off. It would be scanned if required as it was programed with Captain Renkl's approval code, but it did allow a small measure of free movement from the front gates, Renkl's building checkpoint, any fresher along the way that was used for grunts, and Renkl's office. Rachael took it all in as she walked along the designated route - transports went through with boisterous soldiers, an AT-AT stomped around the perimeter with Stormtroopers galore marching in unison for drills. For a civilian like her, it was an impressive and daunting sight. She snugly held the datapad at her chest, which was scanned and approved at check-in, and ducked through the main entrance she was ordered to go through, overwhelmed with everything.

As no one pulled any weapons out or yelled at her, Rachael breathed evenly despite her rapidly beating heart. She was half expecting her memory would fail and she'd enter through the wrong door and cause an embarrassing scene where Captain Renkl would have to save her ass. So far, she was doing good!

With a quick flash of her visitor bar, Rachael was marked down in the system as Renkl's visitor and the Sargent behind the desk was cordial in refreshing her memory of where the captain's office was located. It was appreciated since everything looked the same inside these buildings with the grey and black designs, which she knew was to intimidate everyone as well as project unity.

So left... then a right... another right ... Aha! Yay! Found it!

Yes it was a personal victory that Rachael didn't get lost and waved at Renkl's assistant on approach.

"Hello!" She winced because that sounded too cheery for military people. "Uh ... I'm Rachael Nystrom. I've an appointment with Captain Renkl."

AKA
    Natacha
    Lieutenant Pionsar, who currently worked as Captain Renkl's assistant, due to her pregnancy, smiled back to the visitor. Syrenia had the habit of appointing military personnel who weren't fit for field action due to illness, disability, or pregnancy, as her assistants. While it often required her to do some extra training due to the turnover that could happen, she thought it was a good way to thank them for their services and support all who served.

"Hello, Miss Nystrom. The Captain was informed of your arrival. If you'll please follow me."

The Lieutenant got to her feet and led the visitor to the Captain's office. After knocking and opening the door, she inquired whether either of them wanted beverages of any kind.

"Some tea would be great, thank you Lieutenant,"
    Syrenia replied after having gestured for the fashion designer to speak up first.

Her assistant disappeared for a moment.

Syrenia smiled warmly to Nystrom, glad she had found her way with ease given the normal amount of time it had taken her to make it to her office. That was also why Syrenia always asked to be told when visitors showed up at the entrance gates, because it gave her enough time to wrap most things up before a meeting.

"Thank you for making time for me, Miss Nystrom. I appreciate it."

Given the upcoming event that likely required much of Yessica's time, and by extension her intern's too, the Captain was glad scheduling had worked out well.

"Would you rather take my measurements now or later?"

She didn't want to just offer a seat to Nystrom if she'd rather take care of that out of the way first. It'd be silly.

Rachael smiled at Pionsar, fighting back a ton of questions to ask the obviously pregnant woman - how many weeks, do you know the sex, is the baby kicking the hell out of your insides. Those were all rude and inappropriate since she didn't know the women! So she behaved and settled with a warm happy feeling that she would see the captain soon. Which, why would that make her warm and happy? The hell?!

"Um, what?" Rachael had been on autopilot when following the lieutenant and missed the question about drinks.

"Did you want something to drink?" Pionsar patiently repeated.

She had no idea if Renkl asked for anything, so asking for the same thing could go bad or really bad. What if she ordered nothing? She'd look like an idiot. And if Renkl did, what if she hated it. So there was only one safe option to go with.

"Water please and thank you."

It was a good response because the captain hadn't even said anything yet!

Whew. Social faux pas averted.

With her mouth scrunched together in curiosity a she looked around Renkl's office, she forced herself to relax and give the captain a smile that reached her eyes. "Oh it's no big deal. I'm glad this all managed to work out."

She pulled out her datapad and tape measurer. "How about the measurements so we can leave the rest of the meeting to chat about the design and any questions you might have?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast