Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy 20th Anniversary SW-Fans.Net / swvstitanic / TheHolo.net !!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie

Event Happy 20th Anniversary SW-Fans.Net / swvstitanic / TheHolo.net !!

It came to my attention that we don’t have a main 20th anniversary thread so HERE IS ONE.

Tell us when you came to swfans/theholonet and some favorite memories! Who was around the same time as you?

Shout out to all our gone but not forgotten box office peeps: JMK, Jedi Master Carr, CMJ, Jedieb, etc!

I came to the board when it was still on ezboard in the summer of 2000. The RP was full of super sayin Jedi that really freaked me out. The idea that my character might be KILLED if she ventured into the Battlefield forum was terrifying. I was recruited to The Sith Council by Itala Marzullo from a message board I’d tracked my younger brother to, and I participated in one major RP before I lost net access. When I got it back TSC had exploded into TSO and I went there with LD’s master Live Wire.

So, I’ve been here almost 19 years!

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Queen

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Natacha
    I registered my original Satkia account in fall 2008. If I recall correctly, Jenny had invited me to come here as well, after we had met on another board. I had to leave after a few months.

I re-registered Satkia in early 2013, was on and off until spring 2016, when I made Fans my online home, and populated the place with several accounts.

Whether I met people directly at Fans, or on other boards, it's safe to say that most people in my close circle are Fans peeps, including my almost-husband <3

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    The account no longer exists that shows the exact date (lost somewhere in ezboard --> yuku --> tapatalk), but I came to ezboard in 99/00, iirc. Was in TalkCity's SW chats prior to that.

My memory that far back is negligible at best, unfortunately. I don't even remember my high school graduation, and that was in 2002.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Sometimes I think about having you executed, just to see the expression on your face!

DragonCon 09

AKA
    Erin
    My EzBoard account was September of 99*. General Scorpion encouraged my move from the TalkCity chats. (Shout out @ Lord Shade! )

Somewhere in that time frame I joined The Sith Council / The Coven, and Saurron LeStat became my first Master.

Hey, ya'll. It's nice that this place is still goin'.

Looking back on my time here nearly twenty years ago is quite the experience. My writing has probably not improved from those times -- in part because I've been writing less as times goes by, and in part because it was already pretty good to begin with. Haha, I'm typically embarrassed by the past, so it's nice to be reminded of making semi-smart RP decisions (I clearly tried to keep things tight and focused for myself, with proper setups and justifications for any payoffs... in the same space that other people were summoning a thousand Sun Crushers and blowing up Coruscant in a single post). My main character's name was not among those semi-smart decisions. I really just didn't care that Darth Bane was already a canonical character (And also another current user's name), huh? Oof. And I wonder what the chances are that I literally invented/inspired the Holdo Maneuver roughly two decades ago? Wild stuff.

I don't clearly remember how I got started with all of this, but I think Itala popped up on a totally non-RP EZboard (Er, well, there was no serious RPing and no themed RPing, at least) I was at and somehow recruited Fox609 and I into his Sith council. What a bizarre happenstance! Anyway, so I made up a huge alien cyborg warrior with lightsaber claws on his robot hand (I can't just be normal!), with a small indestructible (But weaponless) alien starship (OP, sure, but how else are you gonna Holdo Maneuver ISDs and live to tell the tale?). Later on, I made a Sith Apprentice for him, named... uh... Kar'h'tzen Shaed? Something like that. I also RPed as IG-88e, which was probably my most fun character. Pretty sure I also had an Imperial character? Probably some Royal Guard type. And if I ever was in an RP with a definite conclusion, I'd be surprised! After all... "No one's ever really gone".

(These emoticons are all sooo retro! They've gotta be twenty years old themselves by this point! "Smilies" we used to call 'em, huh? Ah, we're so old)

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Skiing the slippery slopes

I can't even recall whenever my EZboard account was made. Maybe summer/fall 99? I remember being a staunch protester of board RPing, but was wooed into it by various people. Prior to that I was very much into the whole TalkCity writing. Darth Zasz was my moniker then. Scorpion was my character's Master; and Razielle his other half. The amount of stories this character has been involved with is too many to recall! Had some good times though, that's for sure! Great memories. Can't believe it's been so long.
    Last edited by Zasz Grimm; Apr 15th, 2019 at 12:18:30 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Zasz!!!

and Banestone!!

My introduction to SW-Fans probably started in 2001, when my aunt Holly/Lilaena was living with us and my brothers and I would watch over her shoulder. I remember trying to understand how it all worked, seeing the different locations with their own background colors and headers, and being most interested in the crazy shenanigans of Master Yogurt's Bar and Grill. In 2002 I joined at the age of 13 alongside my older brother Rognan Dar, who would have been 15. I am not proud of my early writing. It was very, very bad. My OOC presence was not much better, and I'm amazed I was never told off for all the random threads I started, with wonderful titles like "I'm bored". Still, I remember fondly wild Force [Item] fights that broke out at every turn.

My first character was Kyle Krogen, which was a rip off of Kyle Katarn. I remember not realizing that the GJO stood for Greater Jedi Order, and thought it was a term for a special internal group within the Jedi. Kyle's first master was Chance, a blind boy that threw rocks at him. A lot. Kyle's second master would be Wei Wu Wei, who tossed Kyle into a tree-top hopping fight against a huge monster. In the end, Kyle was denied promotion to the rank of Knight, and then the reset happened. While Kyle was my first character, he's never been my most prominent. Zereth Lancer has been the character that I'm most recognized for.

I've been here 17 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It’s all my fault, really.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

I dont 100% remember what exactly SW vs Titanic was on when I first got there but it was some sort of nested chat that was fairly quickly moved to ezboard. I might have been "Darth Q" and that would be March 1999.

The whole Turbogeek thing started with some troll calling us "Turbogeeks" which I decided to appropriate as as a bit of a "screw you" to said troll.

Where is Scorpion these days? I'd love to tell him I'm stealing one of the Canadian women

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    When is the actual 20th birthday? What day??

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Who knows?

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    I showed up in the summer of '01, back when GJO was still on EZboard.

Honestly, my first intro to text-based RP was on a small, private Redwall site that Hal/Tevit/Anauri invited me to. It was also where I met Sol/Kale (I still remember my character was a margay!) After writing a little bit with them, I wondered if there were any Star Wars writing sites, so I did a google search which sent me to a link page. It had the GJO, TSO, TMC, and a few others I can't remember anymore. I did some exploring, and a lot of lurking, then finally registered in either June or July of '01. Six months later I stumbled on the vBulletin site for SW-Fans, registered, and I've been here ever since

Khendon Sevon was the first person who RP'ed with me, followed soon by Hera, Millard, Sirius Cline, and Blake Hawk. Sadly Blake vanished, and I still miss her to this day. I do remember that she had cousins and siblings that posted with her, too, and they all knew Gaelic and would occasionally pick on/joke with each other in their OOC posts in Gaelic.

Holly and Rie intimidated me at first, and Charley thought I was a huge weirdo.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I was on a Final Fantasy roleplaying ezboard and a guy with a DBZ signature called Big Bad Naga (who also played a Jedi named Nichos Marr later on) turned up. He had a link to The Sith Empire in his sig, so I followed him there, taking a few people I knew from a Pokemon chat website with me, including Dyne Darkforce, to become wee Sith. Vega Van-Derveld was my first character, and I created him during late 2000 (when I was about 12). His first Master was Dara Shadowtide and he was the first of his family, which later became very big, reviled, and has spiralled out to be represented by me and various other people on a whole variety of SW RP boards.

For a long time, I only wrote Sith, because IIRC there were rules in place about people basically not sharing OOC information between factions... so writing a Jedi and a Sith at the same time could be problematic, because you would be planning a big attack on the Jedi and obviously not want them to know about it! I can't remember what the specific rule was called? (EDIT: It was called infiltration!) Anyway, after a while I guess we all came to our senses (or I stopped caring about the rules?) and in 2001 I created Dasquian Belargic, a Jedi Knight from the Old Republic who had been frozen in stasis for thooousands of years. He became a member of the Greater Jedi Order and frequently served on the Jedi Council. His avatar was Legolas, from LOTR, and it seemed for a while like almost the entire cast of the LOTR trilogy were members of the GJO.

I became a moderator at GJO in 2003. At some point between then and 2006, I was made a moderator of the SW-Fans community as a whole. Both of these things were very big deals to me at the time, in the same way that getting voted onto the Jedi Council was. I also felt very lucky, and intimidated, to at one point be a member of The Black Hand, which was basically a Sith supergroup of all the most powerful Dark Side characters. Later on, I was made an admin of SW-Fans as a whole and by that point, it was not a big deal at all

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Befriending Vega IC was one of my favorite accomplishments. <3

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Befriending Vega IC was one of my favorite accomplishments. <3
    why?!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Because he was such a huge character on the boards! I never got to RP with him until he joined TBH, and I always wanted to.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Skiing the slippery slopes

One of the things I enjoyed most was the amount of OOC planning and thoughts that went around. How often we'd have characters who never met IC; or who loathed each other. But the bond behind the characters was what made it. Getting an AIM from someone from someone writing as a Jedi saying I should stir the pot to get posts going, and then that RP being one of the largest you've participated in.

Also, I miss The Black Hand. I admired so many of the writers. To be included as a member, and then to make Master while in the group was one of my most satisfying achievements in SW writing. Plus, Brian/Hobgoblin was an excellent master for Zasz. He was the evil yoda to my evil luke.

Other stories I miss greatly are Tirzak Kerr and Mr. Flux, and pairing them with s'Ilancy. Christin is a weaver of magical tales, and we had a grand time with those characters.

In April of 1999 I followed a link on TheForce.Net to a site called JawaFortress, which had a box office challenge set up between Star Wars and Titanic. Among all that, there was also text-based roleplaying of a sort that started up. It's all hazy to me on what happened after that, but we went from JawaFortress to swfans to coruscantcity to swfans to holonet and here we are!

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I'm from the TalkCity days... boy was that a hoot. I was eventually linked to the ezboard and was poking around going, what the hell is happening here? All of the non SW shenanigans were throwing me for a loop but it was entertaining! I registered and introduced myself and Sith Kat steered me over to TSE. I want to say this was 2000ish when I started posting? It's a crazy blur!

There I was Dalethria for the longest time and eventually had my clones, which one managed to survive and became Navaria. When we rebooted here, my clones became real twins instead with their original backstory tweaked, and Dalethria was reborn into a completely new Sith.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast