Thread: What can a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be working on?

What can a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be working on?

• My scientist is a brilliant human male working for the Canon New Republic and is eventually called on to investigate the sudden expansion of the supermassive black hole at the galaxy's center. However, before he is called away, he is working on something awesome and scientific. I've tried many ideas for what he is working on, but its all been done before in Star Wars. If you go on Wookieepedia; their are tons of articles about technologies like teleportation and time travel, many applications of nanotechnology, superweapons, star lifting, dyson sphere etc. I'm looking for something that has NEVER yet appeared in Legends or Canon. I know this is a tall order but I want to make my story special. I am open to any and all ideas (as long as they can't found on Wookieepedia) EXCEPT Matrioksha brains since I feel that we would be too powerful computing for Star Wars or pico or femtotechnology since frankly I don't believe going smaller than nano is necessary or even possible.

Any ideas?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Hi, welcome to TheHolo.net!

What Star Wars RPG are you building your character for?

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    Hi, welcome to TheHolo.net!

What Star Wars RPG are you building your character for?
    FFG

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Time travel tech has appeared in the EU? That’s crazy! What about dimension hopping? Like sliding into an alternate dimension? He could even use that to get rid of the black hole theoretically by using it to borrow a bit of universe where there is no black hole there. Or at least he could tell everyone that he could, if his research was complete.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    We've got a few folks that enjoy playing FFG's XWing, here. I should summon some of them, somehow...

They're likely talking about Edge of the Empire, I think.

As for an innovative field, I'm not really sure in what direction you'd want to go. Star Wars has always been a little fast and loose with the actual science, so I don't know how grounded you want a discipline to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    They're likely talking about Edge of the Empire, I think.

As for an innovative field, I'm not really sure in what direction you'd want to go. Star Wars has always been a little fast and loose with the actual science, so I don't know how grounded you want a discipline to be.
    Anything at this point.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

If you're open to anything, I suppose you could mine some real-world events that've happened.

Like, maybe your scientist was working with star-matter containment (in the vein of nuclear reactor material containment, though on a much larger hand-waving scale). Perhaps he was involved in some sort of cleanup for a coronal ejection collector failure that resulted in a planet being burned up (mirroring Chernobyl and/or Fukushima), and branched off into searching for better ways to mine and safely store mass ejection energies?

I'm just spitballing here, so I know my science is way off base, but as Charley said, Star Wars likes to play fast and loose with this sort of stuff.

You could also maybe take a page from the visual of Holdo's hyperspace jump in TLJ, and have your scientist working on trying to work out how to harness hyperspace burst/whatever energy to fuel energy stations that may be able to keep the black hole in check?

If any of that makes sense, heh.

I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he can’t be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers aren’t that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Apr 3rd, 2019 at 08:38:42 PM. Reason: Fixed font color

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
    I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess that’s what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.
    I don't think you quite understood my post. I know that you're looking for thoughts on something a scientist could be doing in Star Wars. What I was saying in my previous post was that you could use some real-world instances as inspiration for whatever your scientist could be doing, then I gave a few examples of that. It's easy enough to apply an engineering role to those.

Other ideas could be:

• If your character is a biomedical engineer, perhaps he is trying to synthesize an alternate healing chemical to be used alongside Bacta and Kolto.
    • If your character is a metallurgical or structural engineer, perhaps he is trying to create a compound that can resist up to the highest gravitational pulls (not all, but certainly able to withstand more than the hull materials of most ships), for use on ships needing to be in somewhat proximity to the black hole you mentioned in your first post.
    • Or perhaps your character is an electrical or optical engineer, where he could be trying to develop sensors with the capacity to study solar radiation storms - a galactic stormchaser, if you will.

As I said before, mining real-world stuff and applying it to Star Wars is super easy, and actually lends a bit of its own realism to the galaxy.