Thread: Growing Up Rishi

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LindsayG85 Steam ID: Lindz85

Closed Growing Up Rishi

Long ago. A Miralukan Mother arrived on Rishi with her young daughter in her arms. Both Mother and child had their eyes covered with a blindfold, though the reasons for this could not be more different. The Mother, Cereza Jaxx had vestiges where eyes should've formed, like all Miraluka. For the child, however, the blindfold was to keep suspicion away from those that chose to hunt her. The girl was a half breed. A cross of Miralukan and Hapan DNA and as a result had fully formed, yet non functioning eyes. The only way she could 'see' the world was through the Force, and it was strong within her. Until recently, she was one of two children born from Cereza, a twin in fact. The child in her arms was named Suri. Born 15 minutes behind her sister, Serah, Suri was a gentle child that for the longest time, had followed her sister like a shadow. They had never been so far apart before, but when their father, Llewen's family decided to send bounty hunters to eliminate the 'stain' on their legacy, it was decided that, for their safety, the girls had to be separated. Suri cried and struggled against such an idea, running to her sister and holding onto her so tight for dear life...but the decision had been made. They had no choice but to go their separate ways, not knowing if they'd ever see each other again. Suri didn't know where her father had taken her sister, for her mother would not speak of their destination, likely to protect them from harm should anyone ask Suri such questions.

When they landed at the Starport, Cereza roused her sleeping child. Had she the eyes to see, Cereza would be looking at each person around them with much suspicion as they left the port. The plan was to take Suri into the wild jungles of Rishi and train her to survive amongst the wild animals and fauna. Before she and Llewen had met, Cereza lived in the wilds away from people so knew how to survive. She would teach her remaining child to do the same. It would be a hard life, but a life where she could defend herself should she come under attack. For now though, they'd have to stay under the noses of the pirates that live on Rishi so they had some shelter until one could be built in the wilds. She had already arranged a place for them to stay for a few days. The mother refused to stay in the city for longer than necessary as Bounty Hunters could search for them here. As soon as a shelter could be built, Cereza would take Suri into the wilds where no one smart enough would look for them. It was not the ideal, but it was for the best.

***Some time later***

In the wilds of Rishii, a male Razor Cat prowled through the jungle, hunting for its prey, unaware that, downwind and deep in the grass, ten year old Suri was poised with her bow and arrow, hunting the hunter. Cereza was further back, watching her daughter and encouraged the child using telepathy. Today was her first hunt alone and as gut wrenching as it was, Cereza knew Suri needed to do this. One day, Suri would have to go it alone and she had to be sure that her baby girl could take care of herself. "Stay down wind. Crouch nice and low. Move with careful steps." Cereza said through the Force. "Stay in cover as much as possible and when you're ready, aim for its heart."

The young girl did not respond. She was focused on her target and obeying her instructions, prowling behind her target while deep in the grass, Suri raised her bow and nocked her arrow, bringing it to eye level as she used the Force to guide its line of sight. Once satisfied, Suri pulled her arrow back before letting it fly. It struck the Razor cat deep in its heart. The cat roared in pain, which tugged at Suri's own heart as she sensed the spirit fade away. She never liked hunting animals, but Cereza had drummed it into her that she had to hunt to survive. She dared not watch the cat take its last breaths as the lump of anxiety came to her throat. Cereza came out from the shadows and moved toward her daughter's kill, prodding it with a stick to ensure it was truly dead. She then smiled at her daughter despite noticing her continued reluctance to watch her prey die. "You did will Suri." she said as she knelt down to her child, turning her face so their eyes met before gently caressing Suri's cheek. "I know you don't like to watch your prey die, but death is a part of the circle of life. Be brave my girl, for one day, you'll need to do this on your own, without me by your side."

"I know Mater....but..." Suri began, struggling to express her feelings. "...it frightens me when they let out their final cries. It feels like they're suffering in those last few seconds."

Cereza pulled her child into a protective hug. "I know lamb." she said soothingly. "It used to scare me too. Its just something animals like that Razor Cat do. You just need to learn to shut off that part of yourself when you hunt. One day, it may not be an animal you're hunting or being hunted by." she pulled back slightly to look in her daughter's eyes once more. "And one day, you may have to kill another person before they kill you. You cannot hesitate because you fear their cries. Like hunting that cat, sometimes killing another person must be done to keep yourself alive. Understand."

Suri nodded in acknowledgement of the lesson. "Yes Mater."

Planting a gentle kiss on Suri's forehead, Cereza got to her feet and gestured to the kill. "Lets get this home now... shall we?"

Suri nodded as they moved toward the kill, preparing it for the journey home. It was the first of many steps on the way to survival. Other lessons would come, but for today, the lessons were complete.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

***Two years later***

Deep in the Rishi jungle, Mother and daughter rested in their handmade home. While Suri was working on tanning the hide of her latest kill, Cereza sat just in front of the door. If she could see the sunset on all its glory, she would commented on how beautiful it was but the Force only showed her its outline. While it had its own beauty given that she could 'see' what she needed to in the Force, it was nothing compared to the real thing.

Of late though, the Force was showing Cereza visions of a danger that threatened to undo everything she spent so long protecting. At first, she tried to ignore them, but each and every day they grew stronger, more urgent and demanding. Now...now she could no longer ignore it. The hunters were coming and Cereza could no longer hide it from Suri that the danger was real. "Lamb... We must speak." she said sternly. The tone of voice alone was enough for the twelve year old to pay attention. Moving toward her mother, Suri looked on silently with deep concern as Cereza explained the situation to her. "The hunters we've been hiding from for all these years have tracked us here."

The colour on Suri's face dropped somewhat in fear. It had been six years since the pair had ran to Rishi and they were so careful as to not draw attention to themselves by living in the city. Did this mean they had to escape the planet? "Where did you find them?" the girl asked apprehensively.

"I encountered one during a hunt several weeks ago." Cereza responded. "After I killed him I thought that would be the end of it but I've been receiving visions from the Force since. They are coming."

"What should we do Mater...?" Suri asked, hands clasped together nervously. "If they find us..."

"They won't!" Cereza responded as she pulled her daughter in for a reassuring hug before pulling away and looking at her directly. "Have you been practising your hide ability like I told you?"

Suri nodded as she disappeared in the Force, a trick her mother had taught her several weeks ago to help her to hunt but it had taken some time to fully master. Only those that could use Force sight like her mother could see her and Cereza could tell by the added aura that surrounded her child that she would be invisible to those who did not feel the Force, they would not see her coming. She smiled in approval before Suri returned to 'normal'. "Good. I want you to use that ability to conceal yourself and get to the island home a day's journey from here. Be sure to check the perimeter before you establish yourself there in case its compromised. Understood?"

"No... I don't understand!" Suri responded, shaking her head. Her voice grew louder and angrier with each question asked. "What is it that Serah and I have done that is so terrible that We had to live apart? What crime did we commit that bounty hunters have chased our tails for as long as I can remember?"

"The crime was mine... for falling in love with your father and bringing you and Serah to life. " Cereza responded, taking her daughter in for a hug in an attempt to calm her. "You and your sister are of Miralukan and Hapan origin. To your father's family, you're both a.. a stain on their lineage that they want rid of. Your father and I agreed that, to keep you both safe, we would keep you apart so if one of you died, at least one of you could potentially survive and live on." she pulled from her daughter and bent down slightly to look at her and stroke her cheek. "I know your sister is alive and safe and if you want to see her again you must keep yourself safe too."

As Suri was about to say something more, the mother and daughter stopped and listened. The Force was telling them that they had company nearby. Bad company. If Suri did not leave now, it was unlikely she ever would. Crestfallen, Suri's blind brown eyes looked to her mother and she pulled in for a hug. "Mom... I... I love you. Please come back to me."

Cereza planted a kiss on her child's forehead before pulling away. "I love you too lamb...You are strong and brave. You'll be okay, whether I'm able to return or not." she responded, stroking the child's hair one last time. "Go find your staff, dagger, bow and arrows. Quickly."

Suri did what she asked and gathered her weapons while Cereza kept vigil. Once she'd gathered her weapons and secured them to her belt and back. The only thing she kept in hand was her staff, a weapon she used to defend herself from attack. It had a woven leather strap attached at both ends of her wood carved staff and leather wrapped tightly at its central point for grip. Even though the staff had a strap that allowed it to be carried over her shoulder, Suri kept it in her right hand as she stood in front of her mother, her head lowered to avoid eye contact with her. Cereza tucked the fingers of her left hand under Suri's chin, forcing the girl's head up to meet eye to eye. "Walk tall my daughter. Know that I love you. No matter what happens." Cereza said before planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. Shortly afterwards, a sound was heard and both Cereza and Suri saw the hunter approaching in the Force. Pushing her daughter away, Cereza barked at her to leave. "Go! Don't look back!"

As Suri turned to run, the hunter appeared and pointed a blaster at them both. In an effort to buy her daughter time, Cereza pulled out a weapon hidden in her robes and lunged at the hunter. Briefly hiding in the Force, Suri ran as the sound of a blaster shot followed by a scream echoed in her ears. It was at that moment that Suri stopped and disobeyed her mother's order to run. The Force called to the girl to turn around and run back. What she found was her mother wounded and the hunter ready to kill her. As anger and determination filled her soul, Suri reached out in the Force and loosed an arrow from her bow directly at his neck as another hunter joined the fray. The arrow struck the one attacking her mother, with accuracy. With his neck pierced from entry and exit wounds, the hunter fell to the ground, dead at her mother's feet. The surviving hunter turned at face the girl as Cereza painfully got to her feet, holding onto her wounded side as she watched her daughter turn and run. The hunter giving chase as he believed Cereza was to weak to run. For ten minutes, Suri ran, adrenaline and the Force filling her and sustaining her run until she ran out of land to run anymore. Sliding to a halt, Suri was mere inches from falling into the waterfall below, but as she turned to try and run in another direction, the girl was confronted by the hunter. Holding an arrow ready to fire in the bow. With the kind of armour the hunter had, however, Suri could not find a gap to strike. Her own weapons were useless and as the hunter stepped forward, Suri found herself being backed towards the falls.

"Your mine now girl! Time to collect the bounty on your head!" he said as he raised his weapon at her head. As the shot fired, it seemed that time was slowing down, allowing her to duck quickly before making a snap decision that would possibly threaten her very existence. She jumped from the ledge into the falls below.

For what seemed like an eternity, Suri fell into the waters below. As she finally hit water, everything hurt and for a moment, she could barely do anything. When she finally got her bearings, the girl made her way up to the surface, taking a huge breath as she surfaced. The water dragged her downstream and with what little strength Suri had left, the girl pushed herself to the edge of the fast flowing river as another waterfall neared. While it appeared to the hunter that the girl was as good as dead by falling down the second fall, Suri had just managed to save herself by grabbing the ledge just near the falls. Holding on for dear life, she waited for the Force to tell her the hunter had left before pulling herself up, collapsing on the edge of the bank and falling into unconsciousness. Several hours passed before she finally woke up. She could no longer sense her mother on Rishi. Was she dead? No... The Force would've told her so... she was no longer on the planet but Suri had no idea if she'd been captured or had escaped Rishi. For the first time in her life, Suri was truly alone. Her mind panicked and through the Force, the girl let out one final scream. "MATER!"

The call echoed through the jungle that surrounded her, yet no answer came. As she sat up, she cried out in pain as the right side of her abdomen cramped up and her fingertips skinned by her desperation to save herself. Holding onto her side, Suri gritted her teeth and did her best to haul herself to her feet, her left leg gave under her, however, causing her to collapse once more in pain. Suri cried out as she slammed her right first on the ground in frustration. No! I will not die here! I. WILL. NOT. DIE! she said to herself before gritting her teeth through pain once more to sit up. Looking around her, Suri soon realised that her situation was a lot more complex as her bow was missing along with her arrows, though the Force Sight showed her that her staff was nearby, caught on rocks below near the waterfall while her dagger was safely tucked away in its holster strapped to her leg. Dragging herself to the rocks near the falls, Suri tried to reach out for the staff but it was far out of her reach. In desperation, Suri inadvertently called to the Force once more, reaching out to pull the staff back to her. It shook for a moment before finally letting go of the rocks and straight into her hand. Pulling herself back, Suri gritted through the pain once more, using her staff like a crutch to pull herself up and walk. It was clear that she needed help, but taught not to trust others, Suri did not know what to do. Instead of calling for help, the girl slowly dragged herself deeper into the jungle, unaware that she was heading in the direction of a settlement until she finally arrived a few hours later. There were sentients everywhere, but exhausted and in a great deal of pain, she barely registered their arrival at her side as she collapsed into unconsciousness once again.
    Last edited by Suri Jaxx; Dec 23rd, 2019 at 05:30:00 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Several days passed since Suri collapsed at the settlement. For a long time, Suri drifted between consciousness and unconsciousness, occasionally hearing talk at the foot of her bed and the odd touch of someone checking her temperature. For a time, she had a fever that made her unsettled and ask they could do was pray she'd be able to fight it. A week passed before it finally broke and before long, Suri was on the road to recovery. Waking up from her fevered dreams, Suri was alone. Her rescuers had decided to let her sleep and she woke up confused and in pain. Her leg had been splinted by wood, rope and cloth and her other wound. Panic was slowly filling her within. Where was she? How did she get here? Where were the hunters? Was Mater still alive?

She had to get out of here. As grateful as she was for being saved, Suri did not want to endanger her rescuers lives by stating any longer than necessary. Forcing herself to sit up, everything ached from head to toe as her blind eyes opened fully, the Force began to share an image of the world around her. It looked like she was within something, a tree perhaps? The part of her that was curious wanted to know more of where she was but the overriding fear of putting the population of the village at risk drove her to get moving. Swinging her legs off the bed, Suri was about to rise to her feet when a feathered creature appeared and became flustered when they realised what the blind girl was doing. "Just what do you think you're doing young one?" the creature said in a voice that allowed Suri to identify them as female. "You're still recovering and no where near fit enough to leave."

Suri jumped as the creature appeared in her Force Vision, briefly sending pain into her side. Having never seen a Rishii before close up, the girl knew that there were laws protecting the Rishii from the other population and she herself had never intentionally sought them out while she lived in the wilds. "I... I can't stay here. I'm eternally grateful for what you and your people have done for me, but there are people hunting me... I don't want any of you hurt because of me."

"Ah! That would explain the leap Rhayader said you did to escape someone." the Rishi mused. "He said he saw someone leap from the waterfall to escape someone with a blaster. By the time we arrived to investigate, you were gone. We did not realise you would come to us for help."

Suri took in a shaky breath and sighed. "It... It wasn't my intention to. I'm sorry..." she said apologetically. "I was trying to reach a place further north from here but I was too injured and exhausted to continue."

"There is no need to apologise, child." the Rishi responded before giving Suri a hug. "You needed the help...you still need the help. You're in no fit state to continue your journey right now, so please... Stay until you have recovered. We can keep you safe until then."

Suri was in no fit state to argue so reluctantly agreed to stay. "Very well... Thank you..." Suri said gratefully as she put a hand to her chest. "My name is Suri."

The Rishii seemed to smile as she introduced herself. "I'm Nahlra. I treat the flock when they are sick and injured." she then turned to leave the young girl for a moment and came back with some food, handing the plate over to her. "Here, Suri. You need to eat. You've had nothing to eat since your arrival and you're looking on the skinny side." Taking the plate from Nahlra, Suri realised she was actually feeling very hungry and took a sample of some vegetables that was provided. As soon as she swallowed that portion she quickly took in another piece, prompting a warning from Nahlra about eating too much too soon. "Do not eat so much so quickly, child. I know you're hungry, but your stomach and digestive system have been starved for the past week. Eating too quickly will make your body reject the food."

Suri took the advice and slowed her pace. The food was actually very nice but it was incredibly hard to not just scoff the lot as quickly as possible. "Its hard to not just hurry it down. It does taste very nice though... Thank you."

Nahlra chuckled at the girl though did note something quite curious about her when she looked up from her meal. "If I may ask, Suri... Your eyes don't seem to lock on as quickly than most. Do they work?"

Suri shrugged a little though was happy to respond to the question. "Not entirely." she said, pulling a small smile. "I 'see' the world differently. Mater said I see the world through the Force, like her people do. I guess it's like looking at pictures in a book, except the picture evolves when I keep walking... So I don't crash into anything around me."

Nahlra was fascinated by this revelation, having never heard of such a thing. "How fascinating! And this 'Force' constantly gives you sight?" she asked with much curiosity.

"Its not all it does." Suri responded. "With training, the Force can do so much more than just give me sight. I'm able to hide in the Force too!" Suri then fixed to demonstrate by hiding herself in the Force, confusing Nahlra for a moment before reappearing with a wide grin on her free. "Pretty neat huh?"

"Indeed! You are very talented." Nahlra said, watching as Suri had finished her meal before offering her a drink. "For now though, I suggest you get some rest. Your body is still recovering from the fall and now that you've got food in you, your body will need some time to digest it. We can start your rehabilitation in the morning."

Suri looked around Nahlra to the outside of the shelter with curiosity. "Is it.. dark outside?" the girl asked, to which the Rishii nodded in response. "Can you...describe it to me?"

Nahlra paused for a moment before turning to sit with Suri on the bed. "Well... At night time, the sky is like a very dark blue, almost black..." she began, ".. and there's light from a moon and stars in the sky too. They look like little dots in the night sky. On the ground right now, because it is dark outside, we have braziers that are lit with fire, not only does it give us light to see, it also gives us warmth when it's cold."

Suri smiled a little as she tried to imagine the scene Nahlra described. "It sounds wonderful." she sighed. "Thank you..."

Nahra put a wing on Suri's shoulder and grinned with her eyes as she stood up. "Now go get your sleep child. I'll see you when the sun rises."

Suri nodded and pulled her legs back onto the bed before closing her eyes, drifting back into sleep once more.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Four years had passed since Suri had lost her mother and ended up in the Rishii village. Now sixteen years of age, Suri's intention had been to leave the Rishii alone as soon as she was well enough to leave, but time and again, after Suri left for her home to the North, something...someone was calling her back to the Rishii. For Suri, it was nice in a way because at times, she missed the social company and she would often stay for a couple of days, making sure the Rishii had everything they needed and if they didn't, she'd help gather some supplies for them and herself before heading home. She owed them that for taking care of her when she needed them most. In a way, they had become the family she'd longed for. She still missed her biological family deeply, but the girl knew she couldn't dwell on their situation forever. As far as she knew, it was just her left now thanks to their hunters and thanks to her skill in hiding in the Force as well as not spending any time in the city where non-Rishii gathered, Suri had managed to evade capture from the Bounty Hunters. While this allowed her to relax a little, she didn't drop her guard entirely and always carried a bow, a quiver of arrows and a staff everywhere she went, whether it be for hunting or defending. Today, she was on the hunt for meat. A Razor cat to be exact. Nahlra had asked for it and in exchange, Nahlra would cook for her as Suri had learned that she was a complete disaster at it due to the lack of depth in her Force sight along with her inability to tell from scent alone what is cooked, raw and overdone. It was for this reason alone that she primarily ate vegetables when she was not hunting for her Rishii family.

As she prowled the jungle for her prey, Suri kept as low in the vegetation as she could, using the trees as cover when need be and making sure her scent was not carried in the wind as she got her bow and arrow set. As the Force showed the blind girl her prey, Suri slowed her breathing, trying to keep as calm as possible when her senses picked up another signature. Fearing the new signature was someone hunting her, she immediately spun around, popping out from where she was hiding and aimed her bow and arrows at the intruder. Unfortunately, this was also picked up by her prey and while her back was turned, the razor cat charged at her and the intruder. Turning her bow back at her prey, Suri managed to send an arrow at its heart as it took a leap at her. She then dropped to her knees in the grass, using the Force to hide as she tucked herself into as tight a ball as possible while the body of her prey came crashing down behind her.

Taking a second to assess that she was not only alive but injured, Suri scrambled to her feet, taking her bow into her hands as she ran behind a tree. With the Force still cloaking her, Suri quietly nocked an arrow into her bow, ready to strike as she recognised the signature as someone non-Rishii. Given her history, she had no reason to trust this signature was friendly though she had no reason to assume this signature was an enemy either. Instead of automatically attacking, she remained cloaked in the Force. An arrow pointed at the signature as she took careful steps. A disembodied voice passed her lips as she spoke through the Force. "Who are you?" Suri asked. "Are you friend or foe?"

Suri remained in cloak as she awaited the signature's response to her question. She would not reveal herself until she was satisfied with the response.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    As much as she could look like a lady in frills and lace - until she opened her mouth - Vic Starfallen much preferred practical clothing and embarking on adventures across the galaxy. It was why the life of a Corsair was the perfect fit for the noble and former courtesan. Not only was she helping her people when playing emissary and building new contacts in civilized spaces as well as the underworld; but she got to explore new places as well. Her crew trusted her as did the people of Albaryn, making her a good fit for the role.

Clad in trekking brown gear with knife and blaster at her side and a backpack on her shoulder, the redhead moved though the jungle of Rishi, immersing herself into its wilderness. The planet had been a bit of an unexpected trip, a couple of weeks after her return from her diplomatic mission to Ossus. Some of her contacts had informed her of opportunities with some pirate syndicates in this part of the galaxy. To be specific, she got to scare some minions of a couple of organizations. She wasn't out to make enemies; but she feared little. And the White Claws had been raiding space close to the Tainar system; meaning she was hell bent on putting them back in their place.

A charmer by nature and trade, Vic had won a few other local scum to her cause, and they had all raided the local lair of the White Claws, leaving them go home with their tail between their legs.

Her crew had decided to stay and enjoy the beaches and good taverns for a few days before heading back. While Vic was always up for festive times, she had only spent an evening with them, before going on a solo hike. It reminded her of Hural Prime. She loved trying out bars and assorted places of debauchery; but she also loved exploring new wild outdoors. That was why she had chosen to go deep into the jungle of Rishi, especially given that she still knew how to hunt and camp just fine.

On her second day, she heard something rustling ahead, and what seemed like an animal. Then silence came down upon the lush nature, only broken by a voice in her head.

A Force user in the middle of nowhere, oh goodie...

She was on alert even more but kept her hands visible, having been in enough fights and other brawls in her life.

Couldn't a girl just get some chill time without stumbling into someone else?

"I'm Vic," she said calmly, mentally assessing her resources and options should the other person decide to be aggressive.

"I wanted some peace and quiet and explore the jungle before going home. Didn't know your kind was around."

There was something about that girl's voice, something almost familiar; but Vic couldn't put her finger on it.

"Unless you're with the White Claws, I'm a friend."

If these idiots had a Force user up their sleeves, she was sure they would have brought the cavalry in.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri listened intently while still cloaked in the Force. Having lived away from Non-Rishii for a very long time, the blind girl had no real knowledge of the gangs of the city. She had good reason to hide thanks to the bounty hunters Hapan sent years ago. She could not trust that this woman was one of them, but the Force Sight showed her this 'Vic' wasn't clad in Hapan armour. "The only claws in this jungle involve Razor cats." her disembodied voice spoke. "I know not who the White Claws you speak of are, but I certainly do not belong to them, or anyone for that matter."

Suri dropped her Force Cloak and revealed herself to Vic, her bow and arrow were still set, ready to attack but lowered so they weren't aimed at Vic. Wearing clothes made from Razor Cat leather, Suri showed she was clearly a survivor of the jungle, despite being blind. As she spoke once more, her voice was much more embodied, her tone was not overtly hostile, but it showed she was not yet ready to trust Vic. "My name is Suri. I don't know what you mean by 'My kind' but there is only me in this jungle...unless you count the Hapan Royal Guard's bounty hunters...I'm sure their bodies are around in the south." Suri didn't know anymore in truth. The last time she went to her home that overlooked a waterfall was the day she leapt off it. She knew her mother had killed at least one in that battle but as for the rest...? She did not know. "Were you hunting me too?" she asked, her brow furrowed at Vic. Hardly any human or near human came out here for good reason, and certainly not for peace.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    That girl must really be a hermit for not knowing who the White Claws were, given the hell they had given here and there on Rishi and elsewhere in the galaxy.

"They're a criminal syndicate that preyed too close to my home world. That's why I came to Rishi where they had a good number of their people. My crew and I rallied other local city locals and we kicked them out."

Vic wasn't going to try to make herself look like a goodie-two-shoes, for she wasn't; but she had principles, even though she liked that some people thought she had none.

When the girl revealed herself, the redhead stared at her, connecting the unlikely dots at once. What the hell?

"You are Force sensitive. That's what I meant by "your kind," as I don't have such skills. I recently was on a diplomatic mission at the Jedi Enclave on Ossus."

So she was hunted by Hapan bounty hunters. That was something else.

She didn't flinch even as the brunette was still aiming her weapon at her. She had been in worse situations and it took more than that for the corsair to lose her cool.

"And if I didn't know better I'd mistake you for one of the padawans there."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri listened to Vic's response and seemed to be somewhat impressed by Vic's declaration that they'd gotten rid of the White Claws from the city. However, it did explain a number of people that had entered the Jungle of late and the fights she'd gotten into when they'd come too close to her and the Rishii's territories. "Ah, so that's where a number of those people came from..." Suri pondered. "I got into a fight with three several weeks ago defending Rishii territory. Rhayadar noted a White Claw symbol on their bodies but I didn't think much of it. I guess I have you to thank for them scurrying around here huh?"

Lowering her weapon, Suri put her arrow back into her quiver and the bow over her head to rest on her right shoulder before listening to Vic noting her Force sensitivity and mistaking her for a Jedi. "Didn't the Jedi die after Order sixty six?" Suri asked. "I remember hearing the tale from my mother long ago but...she's no longer here thanks to the Royal Guard." She pretty much confirmed her Force Sensitivity status without saying so, however with four words. "Strike two against me."

Realizing Vic probably wouldn't know what she meant, Suri smiled wryly. "In Hapan's eyes, I'm a 'Mongrel' and a Force sensitive. Know how many Hapan's love that combination?" she then shrugged her shoulders as she added, "Not at all in my experience. No fun being hunted for reasons beyond your control." Perhaps that statement was a lament, but it certainly gave her a reason to barely trust anyone not Rishii. Humans and Near humans had been more than unkind to her for so long that trusting anyone of 'her kind' was near out of reach.
    Last edited by Suri Jaxx; Mar 27th, 2020 at 07:46:07 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Vic nodded. "Yeah, we stuck around longer than expected; but it was smarter to gather forces and uproot them for good."

She didn't know how many were left of the White Claws; but they had definitely put a huge dent into their numbers, which pleased her. She had done that for her own people in the first place; but for what she had gathered it was also really helpful for the local, whether lawful citizens, or underworld crews.

"Glad that you got rid of the few who came your way."

This girl was definitely a gifted and likely well-trained fighter besides being a hunter for what she was gathering from seeing her and their conversation.

She shrugged at the mention of the Jedi and Order sixty-six. The Tainarian system had never really given much thought about Force users. They were fairly neutral about whether and how people developed their sensitivity.

"I don't know the details; but they have enough numbers again to have an enclave on Ossus, with Alliance presence providing local support."

She could tell that the girl had no love lost - and rightfully so - against Hapans.

"One of the padawans there, she was about your age, looked very similiar to you, with Miraluka lineage... Her name is Serah. The resemblance is uncanny."

It was just so weird. She didn't really believe in the whole Force stuff; but she knew better than to file that as mere coincidence.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Listening to Vic when she spoke of the Jedi, Suri's jaw dropped slightly when she mentioned someone that looked very familiar to her with the same Miraluka heritage, calling the girl 'Serah'. Suri was shocked in truth. Questions filled her mind. A hundred of them, maybe more. Serah had actually made it? She really was alive?! If tears could fill her eyes she'd be crying now. Looking down, Suri decided to share why they resembled each other so much. "If what you say is true...Serah is my twin sister." she began. "When this hell began, our parents decided to separate us to give us a chance of survival. I don't remember how old we were when we were separated. I just remember clinging on tight to her in a desperate attempt to keep her with me. Mother brought me into the jungle here in Rishii. I never left."

Suri looked up at Vic, her blind eyes locking onto her with determination. She was going to get off this planet somehow and if it meant putting her trust in this woman to get to her sister, then that was what she'd do. However she knew that she'd not be able to get a ride without offering something in return. "What do I need to do to gain passage on your ship to wherever Serah is?" Suri asked, her tone of voice had a mixture of determination and desperation within. "I've no credits to my name, and while I am blind, I'm more than capable of fighting should a battle ensue. I can also make and repair weapons and small tech in exchange."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Vic was no Force sensitive; but her courtesan training had ensured she became expert at reading people's body language, which had served well more times than she could recall. That was part of the reason why she could tell that the girl before her was more resourceful than she might seem upon first impression. And she noted the surprise at her mention of the name Serah. This confirmed that the girls were connected. Vic hadn't talked much with the blind gear head back on Ossus; but Serah had been easy to chat with as she had helped with some light maintenance on the ship before they departed.

"It is true," she simply confirmed.

"I don't know much about your sister; but I know for sure she wasn't planning to leave Ossus any time soon. She said that it was where she was meant to be."

For a Corsair doubling as an emissary, this whole random hike had turned into something very different than what she had expected. But her role for her people meant she took her duties to heart. Varyan had been consolidating Albaryn's allegiance to the Alliance, and had sent her to build ties with the Jedi as well.

She hadn't planned to bring a wayward sensitive to Ossus; but so be it.

"I will you to Ossus free of charge. Family is sacred on my world. If I can help you reunite with your twin, I will do it."

She tilted her head to the side, wondering whether the girl would try to sense whether she was honest. One way or the other, Vic was speaking the truth. There was no duplicity on her mind.

"And for little I have seen I can tell you can take care of yourself. And after the latest shenanigans, I am expecting a quiet flight to Ossus."

She paused and grinned.

"Some of my crew might take you up on small weapon repairs though. One of the girls might want to pick your brain about that bow of yours."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

For the first time in forever, hope filled Suri's heart. The hope of seeing her sister again, something she'd lost so long ago and Vic was allowing her passage to Ossus for free? A part of her wanted to know what the catch was with this kind gesture but the woman's aura showed Suri that she was genuine in her offer. A beautiful, hopeful smile pulled on Suri's face as happiness and excitement filled her. "You'll really let me on without charge?" she asked. She knew it was a done deal but she could barely believe someone would be so kind and noted the request for small weapon repairs and knowledge of her bow. "Thank you! Anything I'm able to help with will be free of charge too." Suri looked behind her at the carcass of the razor cat she killed earlier. "I need to get this thing back to the Rishii village nearby then gather some things at home. You're welcome to tag along if you wish or we can meet up in the city later?"

Saying goodbye to her Rishii family was likely to be a sad one, but to finally get the chance to see her twin sister again, it was something that had to be done. She could not wait to leave, but it was only right to tell Nahlra where she was going and whether or not she'll return one day.
    Last edited by Suri Jaxx; Mar 28th, 2020 at 06:51:40 PM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Vic nodded when Suri asked for confirmation. "I will."

She might be a rascal but she had principles.

The redhead grinned when the girl accepted to help some of her crew members free of charge.

"Then we have a deal. The trip to Ossus will take several days with a single stop at most."

She didn't really have to tell the brunette all these details now; but the corsair liked to have things clear, unless she was trying to manipulate someone, which wasn't the case with the blind huntress.

When offered to tag along back to the Rishii village or go back to the city, Vic briefly considered her options. She believed it made the most sense to let the girl handle her goodbyes on her own, while she headed back to tell her crew what was up.

"Thank you for the invitation; but I will go back to my ship. We can meet at the South East docks. Just ask for Vic Starfallen."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri nodded at Vic's decision and acknowledged the location of where to go after saying her goodbyes. She was excited at the prospect of going to find her sister again as she repeated the location she was given to confirm she got the destination correct. "South East Docks...Vic Starfallen. Got it!" she said before taking one last look at Vic in the Force. It had been so long since she was in the city that taking note of Vic's aura and using it like a beacon was a good way of tracking her path. Picking up the carcass of her prey and putting it over her shoulder, Suri smiled at Vic before lifting a free hand to wave goodbye. "See you later!" she said as she turned towards the Rishii village. Not wanting to keep Vic waiting for longer than necessary, Suri used the Force to enhance her running speed, making the trip back in double quick time.

As she arrived away the edge of the village, Suri began to feel the prangs of nervousness and sadness. She felt a lump in her throat, knowing it would likely be the last time she ever returned here... for a very, very long time. Nahlra and her flock had been so kind in helping her get back on her feet and now it was time for her to spread her 'wings' and leave. Swallowing her fears, Suri entered the village and searched for Nahlra within. "Nahlra? I'm back with a razor cat..." she said as another member of the flock took it from her. Going into Nahlra's home, the near human was greeted with a feathery hug.

"Suri! Thank you for your gift child!" she said as she pulled back. Looking into Suri's eyes, however, Nahlra noted the sadness and nervousness in her face. "What's wrong, Suri?" she asked, putting her feathered wings on either side of her face. "Talk to me."

Siri looked down slightly as she responded to Nahlra's question. "I discovered where Serah, my twin sister is." she said, pulling a sad smile as she did so. "She's on a planet called Ossus."

Nahlra nodded and smiled at the adopted member of her flock. "That's wonderful news!" she said as she pulled the girl into another hug. "Its finally time for you to spread your wings and fly." Suri nodded as she reciprocated the hug. "When do you go?"

Suri stepped back from the hug and took a breath. "I leave today. A woman named Vic Starfallen has offered me passage in exchange for helping them with small repairs and equipment enhancements." Suri said. "It means I'm going to be away for a very long time. I don't know when I'll be back..." she didn't say 'if' eventhough she thought it. It was clear though that Nahlra understood the implication.

"I know. And you must do what you need to do. " she said comfortingly. "You need to be with your twin. She is the part of you that you've been missing for so long and I'm sure she'll be missing you too. All I ask is that you be careful and enjoy your life from here on in. Okay?" Suri nodded in response as Nahlra moved back and turned to a set of clothes nearby and presented them to her. "I brought you some clothes from the city yesterday." she said as Suri took them from her, surprised by the gesture. "I had a feeling you'll be needing them to help you blend in with the humans in the city and beyond."

Suri smiled a little as she changed out of her furs and into the new clothes, Nahlra helping her adjust where needed. Once complete, Suri did a twirl for Nahlra and smiled, "What do you think?" she asked.

Nahlra smiled and nodded in approval. "They suit you Suri. Perfect for your life ahead." she responded before giving the girl another hug. "Just know that, whatever happens, you'll always have a home here."

Suri smiled as she pulled away. "I hope I'll get to bring her here someday." she said before stepping back further, bowing her head in gratitude. "Thank you. For everything you've done for me."

"My dear, you've done so much for us these last four years, so we should be thanking you for all you've done for us" Nahlra said graciously before shooing Suri out. "Now get yourself going before I cry. Your sister is waiting for you. Shoo!"

Suri laughed as she stepped out, grabbing her old clothes and her gear as she left. She chose not to say goodbye and instead gave a nod and a farewell. "May the Force be with you." she said before turning toward her home. Upon arrival, she threw her belongings on her bedding before grabbing a bag nearby. Feeling for its pockets and zips, Suri put her flat-lined leathers into the bag along with an extra pair of boots and some food. She then moved to grab her toolkit and placed it on the top before closing the zip and slinging it over her shoulder and strapping her quiver to her waist. She then put her bow over her other shoulder and grabbed her staff. Confident she had all that she needed for the trip, there was one last thing she took from the home. Her teddy bear.. It was the one last thing she had that belonged to Serah when they were kids. It was sentimental to her, something she hugged every night in her memory. Now it will be her travel buddy as she put it in another pocket of her bag, it's head still poking out from the pocket but secured in tight. Saying one last silent goodbye, the blind girl made her way into the city for the first time in years. As she reached the edge of the city, Suri drank in the energies around her. Her Force sight showing all the lives around her, allowing her to dodge people as she walked by though she clutched onto her staff tightly as she walked towards the South East docks, following the aura that Vic's force signature gave. As the Force showed a large gathering of people with armour, Suri steeled herself for confrontation, but chose to appear as non threatening as possible as she approached one of them and stated her business. "My name is Suri." she said somewhat meekly. "I'm looking for Vic Starfallen. She told me to meet her here. Can you take me to her?"

She hoped that things would go simply and they'd comply with her request. She was prepared to fight if she had to.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Vic made her way back to the city quicker than she had left, since she wasn't just trekking and taking her time now. Even with the unexpected chain of events, she still had given her crew a couple of days to chill. It was a luxury they didn't always have when traveling outside of the Tainar system, anyway. While some had the ill-conceived idea that Corsairs were just lazy and overpaid pirates, Vic and her people knew better. The had shed tears and blood for royal or personal reasons, and earned every single credit and extra benefits they reaped from their job.

She found most of her crew aboard the Flamboyant Siren, a modified Class 720 freighter, that easily held the usual crew of eight, plus a few additional back ups or passengers. They had options to rely on a one of the larger ships of the system's military; but given how many of their operations took them to smaller places or the underworld itself; Vic had opted to keep a freighter for every day use. Other Corsair crews operated similarly and if need arose, they could gang up against a given target when on an offensive mission.

Her second-in-command, Garana, was reviewing supplies and nav logs in the cockpit. Vic updated her, and Garana discussed the unexpected quality liquor she had found after some good times at a local tavern. Vic liked how her longtime friend always had an eye out for good deals of all sorts.

Vic made the rounds, told people to finish whatever they were doing, not having a care in the world about walking in on some of her crew. They were used to that. Vic had about as much modesty as a newborn, thanks to her training under an infamous Countess.

She had a couple of stragglers on her hand, and after taking a quick shower and changing clothes, went off to retrieve them from the marketplace.

When Suri arrived, it was Sashy, tall and tan copilot and one of their best shots, and Tsita, a Togruta teenage girl, who had been posted to keep a look out for their new passenger. Tsita smiled at the girl, even though she had been told she was blind. And Sashy nodded, his voice gruff but not unwelcoming.

"Hi there, I'm Sashy and this is Tsita. The Captain told us to expect you. She'll be back with the last crew members shortly. Want to wait for her or come with us to get settled?"

Tsita chuckled and playfully elbowed Sashy.

"Boy, you almost sound like you have manners. Very impressive!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri bowed her head slightly as two people, one human male and the other Togruta greeted her. Despite her blindness, Suri could sense the friendliness in the Togruta named Tsita, and smiled back at her. As for the male, Sashy, Suri couldn't help but feel a little guarded. The last time she met a human or near human man was when the bounty hunters attacked her and her mother. Gripping her staff a little tighter, Suri took a moment to figure if she could trust him, though with Tsita around, Suri took the bet that nothing would happen to her as long as she stuck with the Togruta so when the question of whether she'd like to get settled or wait for Vic. Confident that she would be able to look out for herself if things got out of hand, the blind huntress chose to get to know the people she'd be with for the next several days. "I don't mind going with you." Suri said with a smile, trying to exude some confidence despite her anxiety. "It'll give me the chance to get to know everyone before we set off."

Suri made it a point to keep close to her escorts. She'd not been in the city willingly for years and was naturally wary of the city's in inhabitants in case someone within was watching for nefarious reasons. The jungle had many places to hide whereas a city did not. Attempting to break the ice slightly, Suri looked to Tsita, noticing that the Togruta was around her own age, and made an attempt to converse. "Have you guys stayed here long?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Sashy let Tsita handle the girl, Suri. He trusted Vic, and he had always had her back as she did with the rest of the crew. He just didn't really care about small talk, and took time to relax around newcomers. So he was happy to let his Togruta friend take care of this. He followed them back to the ship, but then stayed at the bottom of the boarding ramp, keeping watch. He was good at scaring people, and even more at beating them into a pulp if they posed a threat. And he even enjoyed that. They were a family; but they all had their edge, some's darker than others'; but they protected one another, a well as any guest they had traveling with them.

Tsita had expected Sashy to react as he did, so she took the lead in the conversation and showing Suri the way. She was excited to see someone else around her age traveling with them, even if for a short while.

"Is that okay if you bunk with me? We don't currently have a lot of extra space. You'd have your own bed though, as there's space for two people in my quarters."

She took her aboard, and as they passed by one of the cargo bays, they saw two men, a Cathar and a human, banter while arranging crates. Tsita gestured towards them.

"Big kitty's real name is Gulor, and the human is Faran. Gulor is our gunner when we need one, and Faran is the handyman of the crew."

Both them paused and waved as Tsita told them who Suri was.

She led the way towards her quarters.

"Vic's second in command, Garana, is working on the best route for us to take you to Ossus. So you'll likely meet her later, as only Vic can interrupt her without getting in trouble."

The quarters were small but welcoming, with two single beds with some space between them on one side, a closet and a small workstation area near it.

"Make yourself comfortable!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri was thankful that Tsita was so friendly. It had been a very long time since she'd interacted with anyone that wasn't Rishii so she initially wasn't sure just how friendly they would be. Having someone her own age was definitely a plus and when Tsita asked if it was okay if she'd bunk with her the blind huntress beamed a large smile at the Togruta. "I don't mind at all!" she said happily. "It'll be nice to have company again, though I'll say it now, I may talk in my sleep sometimes about random stuff. I don't know if I still do so now, but when I was little, my mother used to have full on conversations with me and I'd have absolutely no idea what was said. She used to think it was quite funny."

When they walked past a cargo bay, the Force showed the forms of two people within. One human and one feline-like male whose species she'd only seen maybe once or twice in her life. Cathar isn't he? Suri mused inwardly as Tsita introduced them to her. Shyly, Suri waved at them both before following the Togruta to her quarters. When they arrived, the blind huntress realized that she would have to learn what the room looked like through other means than the Force as she was only able to pick up her surroundings better when she was in a living environment. A ship was not a living world so she could not see its contours and positioning as well as she could on the ground. In cases like this, Suri had to use two other skills she learned to compensate for the lack of sight, active echolocation and her staff. Tucking her tongue under the roof of her mouth, Suri made quiet, yet sharp clicking sounds as she dropped an end of her staff to the ground. Listening to the sounds that bounced back, they gave her an idea of how big her space was as she stepped forward and an added benefit was her Force Sight would briefly give her flashes of the environment as she clicked her tongue so she didn't crash into anything as she moved. The blind huntress quickly found a corner in which she could put the majority of her belongings down, keeping her staff as an additional help should she need it as she sat on one of the beds.

The blind huntress then stretched as she realized that, her clicks might have made her come off a little weird to Tsita. Smiling at her, Suri decided to explain what she had been doing at that moment to find her way around. "Sorry if my clicking seemed a little weird to you." she began. "I'm part Miraluka so my eyes are non-functional. On the ground, I can get around no problem as the Force grants me the ability to see if I'm surrounded by living things, such as trees, grass, people and such. In a building or a ship, its a different matter as I can follow a person around no problem, but I'm more liable to crash into things as I can't see my surroundings without using either my staff or echolocation. The clicking noise I made, along with the Force Sight allows me to get a brief idea of what is around me and if there are obstacles in my way, I can avoid them." Suri then had an idea to help Tsita gain perspective if she wished it. "I can teach you if you like? I'd imagine on your adventures that you'll someday encounter an issue where you're in total darkness without a light so having another skill to navigate the dark could be helpful and you don't necessarily need the Force for it either.."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Natacha
    Tsita was genuinely happy to have some company for the upcoming days. She loved the crew; but having another teenager around was a nice change. Some days she was still surprised that Vic let her join when she was that young; but everyone treated her like the adopted daughter or little sister, so she was perfectly safe, but still free to explore life too.

She was relieved when Suri was fine with bunking together. The Togruta chuckled at the other girl's comment about talking in her sleep. "I sometimes have insomnia so having someone to talk with might be good!"

She watched the brunette set up in their quarters and had been curious about what she had been doing to learn her environment when the other teen explained herself.

"That's fascinating! If I don't need the magic stuff to learn that, I'd love to! Vic always encourages us to learn as much as we can so we're prepared for all kinds of situations."

She sat on her own bed while Suri set up her belongings.

"We have a tendency to run into trouble more often than not."

Another voice came from the doorway.

"Well, look who's your captain, girl," Vic said in good cheer.

Tsita chuckled.

"Well here you are! I take it we're good to go!"

Vic nodded.

"The whole crew is aboard and Garana is going through pre-flight checks. Are you all set, Suri? Do you have any question?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Lindz
    Gamer IDs

Suri smiled as Tsita accepted the offer of an echolocation lesson. It had been a long time since Suri had the opportunity to make a friend. Her trust in others had been dented in the past by hunters but maybe... maybe things can be different. Maybe she can find not just what's left of her biological family, but be a part in a new 'family' where she didn't have to be on guard all the time. That was a dream for her but could it become a reality? She really hoped so.

Picking up her bag, Suri fumbled for a blindfold for Tsita when she sensed Vic's approach as Tsita spoke of the crew having a tendency of finding trouble, Vic joining in the conversation with goodcheer. Looking toward the direction of the door, the huntress smiled and waved at Vic. "Hey Vic!" she said with a chirp in her voice as Vic asked if she was all set, Suri nodding in response. "I'm set here ma'am. I've got what I need with me including my toolkit and a few extras in case." Suri looked down at the blindfold in her hand. "I've offered to teach Tsita echolocation. It's useful if the lights go out on ship or if you find yourself in a dark area without a light and doesn't need the Force to assist." she said before looking towards Vic. "The offer is extended to you and the others on board too if you wish. It's simple enough to learn and a bit of fun but can be tricky to master."

With regards to any questions, however, Suri did have a couple for Vic. "How long does it take to reach Ossus and how can I be of assistance to you in the meantime? I'd like to be more than just a passenger during my time here if possible. You're going out of your way to take me to Ossus, for which I'm very grateful for so would like to offer my assistance where possible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast