Thread: Versus

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine

Thread Semi-Open Versus

OOC note: this is a multi-duel thread, so if you have a character that you might want to have duel s'Il, send me a PM and I'll slot you in

The sun over Ossus was at its' highest point, hanging directly overhead with the intensity of a brilliant, shining jewel that thrust its' rays outward for all to see. It wasn't an oppressive heat that beat down towards the planet below, but rather something pleasant and comforting. The breeze that wound through the buildings and stalls and cargo sleds and general foot traffic was refreshing. It was welcoming, and felt of home for so many of the ones who had come to live among the Jedi.

While there were still vestiges of the temporary buildings scattered about, there were also a larger portion of permanent structures that seemed to have taken on an architectural theme - something earthy, simple, and homespun. And yet, there was also the small little touches; the brightly-colored handwoven rugs that hung here and there, the equally vibrant awnings... small cushions where men and women sat around low tables outside to discuss the comings and goings of daily life; clay pots that rested upon raised doorsteps, each one lovingly carved and patterned around its' surface.

But, there were also the trappings of technology melded in as well. Those who discussed among themselves the happenings of the galaxy often held datapads with the latest holonet news articles, hoping to show others their findings. An outdoor caf establishment had put up wonderfully intricate flutter lights on a spiderweb of vibro-glass strands, each one strung across an assortment of poles anchored into the dusty ground by nail-sinks. It was an illusion that created the most beautiful of seemingly crystal-studded skies, and it was a place that was often full of patrons.

Out of all the wonderful places that Sanctuary had to offer, there was one place that - right now - held the full attention of Loklorien s'Ilancy.

It had started out as a prodding tease, but surprising even herself, she had agreed.

And so now, she was standing at the edge of one of the many sparring rings that the Jedi students and their teachers used. Gone was her normal uniform; in its' place was a garment that she'd not worn in a very long while. It felt... well, she wasn't sure how to describe the feeling of wearing the brown and tan vestments of a Jedi once more. It certainly felt strange, after so long. The wide leather belt, the spun cloth... it was different. She had waved away the boots that Zem had offered her, instead choosing to forego convention by simply being barefoot.

Her saber gauntlet had been fitted to the familiar harness on her arm, and the Lupine pulled in a deep breath of the pure air around her. Her entire body felt loose for the first time in a very long while, and it was something that she found a surprising amount of peace in.

She felt light on her feet, and even found herself gently hopping in place. Her arms hung limp at her sides, then seemed to ripple; a motion starting in her fingertips and ending at her shoulders.

Her neck angled from side to side, and as soon as the need to release her energy arrived, it left once more. She whirled about on the ball of one foot, looking to Zem with anticipation that seemed almost foreign just days before. Now, there was a light in her eye that gave away her excitement.

She smiled, one hand going out to grasp his and pull him with her until the two stood within the confines of the sparring ring.

"It's not dodging over-ripe fruit on a mountainside, but it may prove to be just as enjoyable, yes?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    "Enjoyable?"

Zem gave her a look, shaking his shoulders out of his robe, which he collected to neatly fold into a parcel.

"It's not a good shave and a cup of caf, Lok. And you're old enough by now to know better."

He shifted his feet with a grin and a shrug.

"Still, you're never too old to learn. Learn about other people and yourself. If it costs a few bumps and bruises along the way, well, I guess that is what it is."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG
    ...my daddy smells like wine

Sitting cross-legged at the far end of the ring, Teagan watched with a small bit of amusement; she'd never seen her mother in such clothing, and watching with a bit of fascination at the interaction between the elder Lupine and Zem, the girl found her attentions held fast. This was different than how her mother had acted with her... with Dan (it was becoming easier to think of him as a name rather than someone who had once been her everything). What was between her mother and Zem, it was something lighter, yet deeper and far more meaningful - the way each looked at one another. One could see the history between the two, and the culmination of that history had now formed and brought together two individuals that danced around eachother like how she and Wyl had been... so devoted to the other, willing to give everything for a smile and a hug and closeness. The light grin on her features faded at the thought of the boy, but she soon enough pushed the memories of him back, choosing instead to focus on the two that now stood in the sparring ring.

So many times she could remember having to stand at the perimeter, glumly watching the other padawans as they went about their spars. She'd always ducked out of having to participate, and somehow thus far had managed to still avoid having to construct her own lightsaber. However long she'd be able to keep pushing that task away she had no idea, but for now she was happy to sit and watch her mother and the man that she was steadily beginning to think of as 'dad'.

She could still remember stumbling upon a slim envelope in one of the nightstand drawers in his bedroom while he was out. She couldn't remember what it was she had been originally searching for, as what she found was enough to squash anything else on her mind. The envelope was buried beneath a collection of medical files and other flimsis. Curiosity had gotten the better of her, especially since her mother's handwriting had been on the front. Small letters that spelled out Zem's name. She had flipped the tab open to pull out the few sheets of actual paper held inside, haltingly reading down the paragraphs. A lot of it was confusing, but there was enough she could make out to understand that he'd accepted guardianship of her and her brother.

His familiar signature on the bottom of the last page was what she remembered the most about that mid-morning.

Teagan had never told him what she'd discovered, but it was still burned into her mind regardless.

And watching now, at the two ahead of her, she felt her smile return. She also felt enough bravado that she cupped a hand to one side of her mouth before calling out to both.

"Am I allowed to put credits on this match?!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

She was in the process of stepping back, when the shouted question sounded out, and s'Il halted her movements. Her mouth fell open ever so slightly as she turned good-natured yet mildly surprised eyes to Zem.

There was a teasing note that wound through her next words.

"Have you been teaching my daughter to gamble?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Jedi Master gave a stern sidelong look to Teagan.

"I have not."

Then a grin, and a wink.

"But, she's curious by nature. And it's a big enough settlement for a light amount of trouble."

Zem pivoted to Teagan now, his posture easy and casual.

"But doesn't it take two to wager, young lady?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Her mouth opened to answer, but his words made her pause as she thought back to the finer points of betting credits on anything. He was right, and for the time being, she was the only one at the sparring ring who was actively spectating.

"Well... "

She made a puzzled face, flummoxed for a short bit before her expression lightened up.

"How about, if I bet that one of you wins, and whoever I choose does win, then the loser gives me fifty credits. If not, then... " she thought for a moment before continuing.

"... if not, then I'll do the dishes for two weeks."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

One shoulder hitched back as her opposite arm lifted to rest a hand on her hip. The elder Lupine fixed her daughter with an incredulous stare.

"Fifty credits is a lot of money, Ma'am."

A sideways glance to Zem, then she looked back to the girl.

"Twenty-five."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She wasn't about to accept any less than thirty, and Teagan thought for half a second before giving her counter-offer.

"Forty."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Lok was having fun with this, and the corners of Zem's mouth turned up slightly as he crossed his arms."

"For forty credits, you're gonna have to sweeten the pot a bit more than just washing one or two."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She mulled over his words, rocking back slightly. If doing the dishes for two weeks wasn't good enough, she wasn't sure what could possibly help to... what was it some of the folks said around here? 'Further grease the wheels'?

"I suppose I could also add in laundry- " a single finger shot up then in illustration.

"- for one week."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Now it was Zem's turn to haggle, and s'Il blinked as she turned her head to look at him. She had no real mind for whatever chores got placed on the line; it wasn't often that she was here as it was. Duties kept her away mostly, and her presence on Ossus was only whenever she could get her leave approved. Now was one of those times.

Relaxing her stance, the Lupine let her arms shake themselves out yet again as she started back once more, putting a small bit more distance between herself and Zem.

"Seems a good deal for you," came the poking nudge sent his way with a cheshire smile even as she crouched low, stretching leg muscles.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Jedi Master made a show of balking at the offer. He shifted on his feet, grimacing as he pushed his fingers through his hair.

"I don't know. I don't really have that many clothes that need washing. Feels like for forty credits, you ought to split the firewood too."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

She was ready for his counter-offer, and the girl made a show of ponderously considering what had been added to the table.

"Well... " a deep breath to accompany her thoughtful expression, "... make it fifty credits and I'll do the firewood for two weeks."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "That's a lot of firewood, youngling." Zem checked the cinch of his tunic belt briefly before offering his hand to Teagan.

"Remember, I like the house warm at night."

Vymes waited for Teagan to seal the deal, while smiling with his eyes over her head toward Lok.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

Looking up at him, the young Lupine gave a mildly perturbed look at his offered hand. A few more seconds later, and she let out a groan while levering herself out of her cross-legged sitting position so that she could stand. One palm wiped at the leg of her dusty trousers, and she took hold of Zem's hand.

"And I can sure use fifty credits."

Briefly, she tipped to the side, looking past him and over to her mother. A moment later her eyes returned to him.

"I bet she wins."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

There was no mistaking the confidence in her daughter's tone, and s'Il ambled her way closer to the two.

"And how do you know I won't just throw the match?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Tak fanG

The girl was ready for that.

"If you lose you have to cook dinner every day for your next three visits."

Which was a suitable bit of incentive to not simply lay down and let Zem have the day. Her mother's cooking skills were... well, legendary was a healthy stretch. It was entirely possible that the elder Lupine would put down a bowl of sajoi and demand everyone be happy for such an exotic 'meal'. Which, if that happened, it had the very real possibility of inciting a family riot.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Is it in a Jedi's naturre to place wagerrs?"

Draiya spoke up next to Tak as if she'd been standing next to the girl all along. She may have been, considering the nature of her talents. The Syragori padawan kept her hands tucked into the sleeves of her dark tunic's arms, eyeing the Jedi Master and the Alliance Captain with serious dark eyes.

"I believe in Masterr Vymes."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There was a sudden sense that they were not alone, a moment before Draiya spoke. That it had been so seamless was met with the smallest of grins from the Jedi Master.

"Your skills have improved, young Padawan. And while you are in a sense correct, there is no harm in a small bet between friends."

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

She couldn't help but arch an eyebrow at the appearance of Padawan Naaianeya, though her thoughts were on the worrisome prospect that Teagan had put forward if she lost. She was certainly no chef, and it was a strange turn of events that these days she preferred the same sort of culinary disasters that Cirr had partaken in years ago. Of course, that was mostly because she was beholden to the whims of her stomach, and that often meant the cooler unit in her billet on Dac was stocked with a... strange assortment of foods, to put it in gentle terms. At least on her ship she was given decent food - far more decent than the normal rations that other ships in the Navy had to endure.

One of the advantages of having a dedicated cook posted aboard.

Now however, the thought of having to provide dinner was a strong motivator.

She turned a peculiar look to Zem then, rolling her shoulders as her bare feet shifted on the hard-packed sand.

"I hope you like your dinners on the rare side, hGe'leh'te."

hGe'leh'te - loved one in Bast'yr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast