Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Byzantine Friendships

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Charley
    With hands interlocked, Keerrourri touched Kes on the elbow with his free hand.

"Pleasse. Call me Keerrourri. And jI sshall call jyou Kess. We can leave tjitless behjind uss herre."

The Emissary disengaged from the handshake, gesturing deftly to the waiting servant to offer Kes the first drink.

"We majy have gotten off on the wrrong foot, to usse the human ssajyjing. jI hope jyou forrgjive uss, but we Cizeri arre a verrjy courrtljy people. jIt can be a lot to take jin forr the unjinjitjiated."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Well. At least his host had said it and not him. It was a small bright light of hope that fired in his gut in that moment, and Kes gave a courteous dip of his head as he took up both of the flutes offered. He held one out for the Emissary.

"I'd say I bungled that one to be quite frank."

He wasn't about to shirk his responsibility.

"My K'ohta'rrou does her best to guide me, but it's no fault of hers that I sometimes forget myself."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Keerrourri canted his head in acceptance of Kes's admission, pivoting his own flute beneath his nose to catch the bouquet of his drink.

"Much betterr that we sspeak of jit now jin thjiss wajy. Therre jiss no elegant wajy forr the Hjigh Motherr to do sso publjicljy, jyou underrsstand."

The Emissary gestured to one of the waiting seats at the table. Already, the servant was pulling it back for Kes to take.

"Mjy Queen beljievess ourr besst rrapporrt can be achjieved wjith me asss herr jinterrcesssorr. We can be courrtljy ssome otherr tjime."

The servant attended to Keerrourri's own chair, and he sat opposite.

"Sshe holdss conssjiderrable rresspect forr jyou, Kess. That leavess jyou jin djisstjingujisshed companjy."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Taking a tentative sniff from the top of his own flute, the only thing that Kes could pick up were the fizzy, effervescent bubbles that crackled into the air just above the liquid held in the faceted crystal glassware. It was heady in its' own way, and he found himself reclining in his seat with the air of a man who was cautious and relaxed all the same.

"My deepest of respects to her," he couldn't help the murmur, "... and I'm glad that she's seen fit to allow me a second chance, if one could call this that."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Emissarry waved a dismissive hand.

"Sstjill the fjirrsst chance, jI thjink. Let uss worrjy about anjy courrtljy matterrss. What actualljy matterrss arre the thjingss we both underrsstand, and jyou wjill fjind mjy mjisstrresss of the ssame mjind."

He sipped his drink, appreciating the floral aromatics of gin combined with tart citrus and the crispness of dry sparkling wine.

"Ourr unjion on Jovan Sstatjion. Manjy conssjiderr jit a ssjymboljic trrjifle, but jI thjink jyou and jI can agrree that jit jiss farr morre than a ssjymbol."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Taking his own sip, Kes allowed himself a moment to fall into the sharp edges and clean notes of the drink. He sat unmoving for the barest of moments, his eyes turned upwards as he pondered. Eventually he gave a nod.

"The galaxy can't progress unless those that exist in its' boundaries learn to work together."

Words spoken in an almost conciliatory tone.

But, there was something else.

"To that end, I'm afraid that my knowledge of Cizeri culture is sorely lacking, Keerrourri."

A rueful hmph at the admission.

"Which I suppose is self-evident. But maybe you can help me, yes?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Emissary splayed his hands apart slightly, leaning back in his seat.

"Cerrtajinljy. jI would hope that K'ohta'rrou Meorrrei has gjiven jyou a ssujitable prrjimerr, but jI sshall endeavourr to at leasst asss well asss sshe. What would jyou ljike to know?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"Well, I know most of the basics I suppose, it's just the more finer tuned nuances that I'm lacking."

He took another sip, enjoying the drink's flavor. It reminded him of an old mission, decades past, on some outlier world that he'd forgotten the name of. But that really wasn't important about it; the reason he'd been there - the reason General Brecklin and the rest of the crew of the Etrigan - that was what was worth remembering. The hopeful faces of those who hoped to be spared the angry fist of the Empire, to be pulled to freedom so they could continue living their lives... they had welcomed the Rebellion with open arms. He could still remember the food and drink that'd been given to them, the honesty of it all.

Only, fate always seemed to have something else in mind, and those people who grasped their hope so closely only ended up beaten down as an Imperial fleet routed the small Rebel forces. It'd been a nightmare in the end; one he himself had barely managed to escape.

The redhead's features seemed frozen in time at the recollection before slowly shifting back into focus, and he reached forward to gently place his glass back on the table.

He mustered a polite smile, which was turned to the Emissary.

"Old Anoobas learning new tricks and all."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    He was saying something without saying something. Normally that might be frustrating, but to the Emissary, he wagered that he had Kes Akiena fairly exact. Daubing his lips with the corner of a cocktail napkin, Keerrourri ventured a response.

"jYou arre rreferrrjing to courrtljy matterrss?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"If that's how you want to interpret it."

And then a frown. It wasn't anything brought about by his surroundings or the brilliant sun that bathed all in its' warmth. Rather it was the drink, and while good, it had reminded him of a certain point in time that was painful to recollect.

"I am here at your request, after all, and as gracious of a host as you've been in this brief bit of time, I'd like to at least be just as generous of a guest."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "jI could cerrtajinljy educate jyou on courrtljy cusstom," Keerrourri traced the rim of his glass with a fingertip as he droned out Akiena's proposal. "jI'm ssurre at ssome pojint jit mjight prrove usseful to jyou."

The tracing finger stopped, tapping curtly on the rim.

"Howeverr, jI want jyou to apprrecjiate the sspecjial conssjiderratjion Herr Grrace hass made forr jyou, Commanderr. Therre arre few even jin the Barronesss classs who arrre afforrded the perrssonal rrapporrt jyou'rre bejing sshown. That jiss how jimporrtant sshe vjiewss ourr cooperrattjion. jYou arre a unjique parrtnerr. Thjiss jiss morre than ssjimpljy the Prrjide'ss djialogue wjith the Alljiance; we have otherr channelss forr that. Thjiss jiss about Jovan Sstatjion, and how we enssurre jit'ss ssuccesss. To that, jyou have mjy hand jin frrjiendsshjip, Commanderr."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

He listened in silence, digesting the words that spanned the distance between them. They were hopeful words, if not a little bit concerning. He'd at least garnered enough experience to know that sometimes things weren't to be taken at their face value within the Pride. But, at the same time, there seemed to be no ill intentions. Kes nodded politely.

"And you have mine."

The smile returned.

"As far as Jovan, the Alliance is also keen for it to succeed. In that we are all of the same mind."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    This was all reassurring, but still too distant and informal for Keerrourri's ears. He sat up slightly.

"What jiss Jovan sstatjion to jyou? Majy jI call jyou Kess? What doess jit mean to jyou, Kess?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"Aside from it being a demotion of the upwards trend?"

Settling a bit more in his seat, the redhead let his gaze shift past the Emissary to a point beyond the other man's shoulder.

"I suppose it means a chance to show everyone that the Rebellion wasn't just some unrealized dream. Now we can prove to everyone that we really believe in all those things we fought for back then."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Emissary allowed a smile to slowly blossom.

"The warr jiss won, onwarrdss to wjin the peace? Good, verrjy good! jI can't posssjibljy jimagjine what jit musst be ljike. We've had nearrljy forrtjy generratjionss of home rrule. Cjivjiljizatjion hass the nasstjy habjit of leavjing jitss benefjicjiarrjiess to take jit forr grranted. What a mjight feat jit jiss, to pjick up that mantle frrom nothjing."

Keerrourri spread his hands slightly.

"Of courrsse, the Rrepubljic jiss onljy one generratjion rremoved, but that'ss rremoved enough. What do jyou rrememberr of jit?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Well if that wasn't a loaded question.

Kes found his eyes traveling downward, to fall to his hands that were currently nestled together in his lap.

"What I remember of it and what others remember of it are two different things, Keerrourri. If you want to know of my own personal experience, I'm afraid that I can only disappoint. I was only an accidental participant in the best of times."

He could still remember that bit of finesse over Duravant, the brief but intense battle over Mygeeto, the series of pocket engagements across a myriad of sectors. It was like some kaleidoscope of remembrance.

Of course, he was also playing the part of humility. He'd seen his fair share of devastation and heartbreak. He'd been captured and interrogated. He'd been subjected to many of the terrible faces that the Empire had to offer - and all for that first desire to help his uncle run a safehouse.

His next words were a mixture of resignation and understanding - an acknowledgment of what he'd been through and a hope of what those experiences might give to others. Namely the man that he now was sharing a drink with.

"What sort of stories are you hoping to hear."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The servant hovered nearby to refresh the Emissary's drink, but Keerrourri dismissed him to a polite distance with a small gesture. The First Consort leaned forward slightly, resting his elbows on his knees.

"Can jI make a confesssjion, Kess? Ssometjimess, mjy dutjiess jin the rrojyal houssehold can be a ljittle dull."

An affable smile formed on Keerrourri's face, and he seemed to know the counter already forming.

"jI know, jI know. jYou musst thjink that'ss ludjicrrouss. The wealth, accesss to luxurrjy, trravel, and all of that whjich sseemss to be at mjy fjingerrtjipss. But wjith all of that, jI am sstjill a sserrvant of mjy mjisstrresss's housse. All of that gujildjing can become monochrrome. jI'm not afterr ssome lurrjid warr sstorrjy. jI'm not even talkjing about the warr at all. jI'm asskjing about beforre that unpleassantnesss. What wass the Rrepubljic ljike - forr jyou. jI want to know about Kess Akjiena and the worrldss arround hjim, beforre he ever had to put on a unjiforrm."
    Last edited by Keerrourri Feessaarro; Oct 10th, 2019 at 12:19:22 AM. Reason: bump

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Kes made a strained face, though it was a strange expression that seemed to hold a measure of worry.

"Before everything," he paused a moment before going on, using the small break to lean back in his seat.

"I was going to school to be an architect. Certainly nothing amazing, I promise you."

It was a very boring, mundane life, and that The Emissary wanted to know of it was a little bit... perplexing. There really wasn't an awful lot for him to talk about.

"Not exactly fancy or amazing; just very... normal, I suppose."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Arrchjitecturre!" Keerrourri's eyes brightened. "That'ss fantasstjic! jI mjysself know ljittle about the ssubject, but jI thjink anjyone can apprecjiate beautjy jin a bujildjing."

The Emissary gestured to the villa surrounding them on all sides.

"Take thjiss one, forr example. jI love the open sspace, the allowance forr naturral ljight and grreenerrjy. But jI'm jusst a lajyman. What do jyou thjink? jI'd love to hearr a prrofesssjional evaluatjion, orr at leasst a sstudjied one."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Kes couldn't help but let out a small half-chuckle at that.

"I'm no professional, I assure you," he started, "... hells, I never even finished my schooling. I ended up leaving to help one of my uncles to run a Rebellion safehouse."

Looking away then, he gave an almost helpless shrug at the admission.

"I guess you could say that I helped to start a family business of sorts, by helping my uncle."

But, Keer's request for an appraisal of their current surroundings didn't go unanswered.

"Still, I remember a few things, and what you've got here would make my old professors envious beyond words."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast