Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Gotta Get Away

I couldn't say much. It was probably more credits than I had left in my account. Oh wait, I never paid for that lunch. Yeah. I got a bit more then. Oh shit, those shop owners are probably looking for us too.

"That gujy mjight be out therre lookjing forr jyou. Prrobss besst jyou sstajy herre and lajy low. Jusst jin casse."

Beck and that armored thug had disappeared through the grungy double doors of a seedy motel, disappearing like wallbugs scattering in light. The Trandoshan at the front desk had only given a mild grunt, not even looking away from the holoviewer that - of course - had some trashy holonovela playing. And so he'd set off without a second thought, moving past the old vending units and ice makers, and into the hallways that branched off into rooms. The first floor was a bust. The second floor... well, he'd been to at least half of the rooms on it so far. For every lowlife that opened the door to his knock, he'd been repulsed, and grunted his dissatisfaction appropriately.

"Nevermind."

"Sorry, wrong room."

"My mistake, looking for someone else."

Each excuse was less than heartfelt, and he had no reason to keep the disdainful tone from seeping through.

With a sigh, Reginald stopped at yet another door. His hand reached up, and he pounded on the thin metal surface with a closed fist.

I could feel my ear twitching absently at the incessant knocking that was sounding off from the down the hall, slowly creeping closer this whole time without realizing it until it dawned on me just now. Turning my head I stared at the door. Listening. Another knock. The reverberation of speech. Somebody was talking. I couldn't understand it. The words were lost in the echo. I looked back at Beck and motioned my fingers to my lips and moved up against the door. I waited, listening for the sign. There, the knock. Classic three rap pattern. I opened the door on the second one, hoping it would mask the sound and carefully pulled the door open enough to squeeze my armored frame out and look down the hall toward the source of the noise.

I saw him. It was unmistakable. That chubba-lubba body, fizzy hair, and forever a virgin face. I pulled myself back inside and slipped the door shut again, stepping back like it had bitten me. I looked at Beck. "jIt'ss hjim, agajin."

This guy was determined. I know I told Beck to come over and lay low, but I didn't expect this guy to actually show up. I just wanted to get that sweet thing alone. Fuck this guy, stomping in here and ruining this great moment. I was so close, I could taste it. Taste her. Every fiber of my being wanted to grab my helmet, step out there, and beat the guy until he couldn't get back up again. But what would that do? It'd just get a lot of heat on my tail and make my life a lot harder. Last thing I needed was word to get around that Abaddon is in town. Every bond jumper in the sector will go hiding under their rocks and I'll never get the quick credits I need to get my ship back and get back in business.

I needed another solution, and quick. He was only a few doors down.

"jI have an jidea."

A playful wink was the only thing I could think to do. Maybe it would reassure her. Not as cool being said in my own voice. Abaddon's would sound a lot cooler. I stepped over to the bed and turned around, reaching a hand into the helmet joint of my armor as I did so. I fumbled for a second trying to find the release toggle but when I did I immediately felt the telltale rush of cold air as the invisible seem down the back of my armor split open. The temperature change sent chills up my spine and goosebumps across my skin. I'd been wearing the armor for a day and a half. You get used to the climate control. The real air was so much more unforgiving. The armor peeled and opened. There was not much clearance. Not in armor this size, but I'm quite a bit smaller than the armor, and there was just enough room to squeeze out the now open back.

I hit the ground, stumbling a bit as I did. Beck seemed to much taller without Abaddon's armor to prop me up. I shivered again. The tight, formfitting black body sock did little protect from the elements, or hide anything. I could feel my cheeks warming at the realization of just how much was on show, especially in this cold room.

"G-go hjide jin the bathrroom. jI'll trrjick hjim."

Another knock sounded off. Closer. Across the hall. I pulled the blanket off the bed and tipped Abaddon's armor over and on to the covers. It was a lot lighter without my skinny ass in it, but that didn't make it light. It shook the bed down to it's frame. Not exactly how I planned on breaking the bed today. I tossed the blanket over the top and made it look as best I could to look like a person sleeping. My hands shook as I grabbed my luggage and grabbed one of the long shirts I liked to sleep in. Black with a TRABK band logo printed on the front. It was enough to cover up my exposed body and make myself a little presentable.

I moved to the door, really wishing I had a blaster, just as the knock sounded out. Three raps. I tried to steady my hands, looked back at beck in the bathroom door, gave her a smile and motioned for her to hide, and then I opened the door to reveal that annoying face.

"What?"

The face that greeted him was... rough. Girl looked like she'd seen some things, and with that ear gone like it was, Reg figured that she'd probably had it chewed off by some alley anooba.

He cleared his throat, not even bothering to hide the fact that he was staring.

"Looking for a lady and some guy in a silly helmet," he got out, and finally pulling his eyes away from her features, he sent his gaze past her and into what he could see of the room.

"You seen anyone like that?"

He looked a lot bigger now, without my armor on. It took me a moment to find my words, to know that my voice would be steady. I needed to sell this. I hated feeling this way. Abaddon wouldn't put up with this shit. He'd punch this guy in the face and go on his way, or talk him into a corner and make him shit his pants. Ori wasn't as powerful or as intimidating. All I could do was try my best to look unafraid and disinterested.

Silly helmet!? SILLY HELMET! I could feel my jaw clenching.

"'frrajid not, forrda."

"You sure?"

His voice sounded distracted, as he let his gaze sweep around what small view of the room's interior that was available. It wasn't much, but he did catch site of the corner of a piece of luggage. A rather familiar piece, at that.

A hrmph, and he tracked his eyes back to the Queen of Scars.

Pulling out a slim flimsi-card, he held it out to her.

"You see them, give me a call."

Plucking the flimsi from his hand I couldn't count on my nerves to keep my hand from shaking, so I curled my fingers into a fist and turned the card awkwardly around and tried to read it, but the lighting was bad between the gloomy room and the lighting in the hallway that had the softest mood lighting ever. Still, I played the part, pretending to read, all the way trying to keep my hand from shaking. It felt like all the blood in my body was turning cold. I felt rigid and melted at the same time. I managed a few words from my rapidly drying mouth.

"Wjill do. Betterr be a rrewarrd."

I smiled. Kinda. Something I hoped was at least socially warm. It made me sick to even do it to him. I leaned my body back through the portal and hit the controls softly to close the door, keeping my movements paced when all I wanted to do was smash that panel as hard and fast as I could. I needed a barrier between us. Soon as the door slid shut I hit the locking mechanism and in that moment I could finally breath; only I couldn't find my breath. My hands were shaking so badly. All I could think to do was turn around and lean my back against the door and look at them, shaking in the gloom.

I curled them into fists, trying to banish the shakes, and when I finally felt like I could will the words out of my mouth I looked toward the Fresher door and said those two words; "He's gone."

And in this moment I have never felt like more of a wimp.

Carefully, the door cracked open to allow a sliver of a view, but a moment later the door opened fully, and Tamera let out a long, pent-up sigh.

"Woo," she breathed out. She hadn't realized how nerve-wracking the last minute or so had been, until she started to breathe once more.

"What's that," she looked at the flimsi-card in Ori's hand, "... he give you his card?"

Reg was so weird.

A little bit high on adrenaline still, she couldn't help the evil grin that tugged at her features.

"He never gives anyone his card," a bizarre slap of her hands together, and she waggled a finger at Ori, "... he must like yoouu."

"He'ss not mjy tjype. jI don't do men."

I wasn't sure a man like that was anyone's type. All I did know is that if Abaddon ever runs across officer piggy-pop again he was going to get it. For real. I wouldn't kill the fucker, but it would be wrong to not break both of his orbital sockets. That way he won't be able to look at me like that ever again.

Ugh, I'm being such a downer now. Nobody ever complains that Abaddon is a downer. They say he's annoying and chauvinistic but never depressing. I gotta turn this around. Say something funny, or cool, or witty! Come on Ori, you can do it. Here goes...

"jI prreferr moussjy brrunettess wjith cute glassssess..." Abort, abort! I feels too real! Turn it into a joke! "...and chjipss. Sstjill want morre ssnackss frrom the sstorre?"

A bright smile at the thought of snacks masked over the surprise at Ori's first words, and Tamera nodded enthusiastically.

"Of course I do," she continued to grin.

Sidestepping Ori, she made her way back to where she'd set the credits she'd fished from her pocket, and palming the chit whirled around to hand it over.

"And if they have any dewback jerky, you should get some of that, too. Oh! And some of those White Talon drinks; Namana flavored, if they have it."

Taking a mental list I tried my best to commit to memory everything Beck was asking for. Knowing my luck I would forget halfway there. Hey, it's hard to remember stuff when your constantly thinking about a million other and sometimes more important things. Like does a Deltech P77 shoot faster than a Excel-Arms Tactical Bolter Mk. II? I just don't know. Their specs are the same on the manufacturer netsites but when fired side by side they are simply not the same! There is something different and it haunts me that I cannot figure out what it is! Shit. Now I'm thinking about it again.

"Got jit."

I took the credits from her and stepped over to my luggage. The casual big shirt tossed over a skin tight body suit might have worked for answering the door but it was hardly the sort of thing I was prepared to wear in public. Abaddon had that kind of self assurance but I sure as fuck don't. I was already trying my best to not think about what Beck had already seen. The body suit didn't leave much to the imagination and I know what my body looks like. Compared to Beck's voluptuous bod I feel like a scrawny nuna chick. I didn't exactly pack to impress anything. What clothes I had were meant to be worn in my off-time, and in secrecy to hide, you know, who I am. There wasn't much choice, so I slipped on a pair of stretch pants and shoes. Black of course, and ran a hand through my messy hair again.

My face felt exposed, but it was just a quick trip to the store. Abaddon had more enemies than I did. I should be fine.

"I'll be right back. jIf fattjy comess back, therre'ss a rrealljy bjig knjife jin mjy bag."

I moved to the door and grabbed the controls with my hand and looked back at Beck, and tried my very best to toss her a wink and a kiss that felt more like I was having a stroke, and hurriedly ran out the door to hide the blush I could feel hitting my ear. Stupid, stupid! Why did I think that would work, I thought as the door whooshed shut behind me. Ugh. This day keeps getting worse. Things are so weird now. Totally blown my shot. I don't know why I am even still trying.

I tried to keep my mind occupied with other things. The trip was uneventful. The store had a full selection of snack foods and I quickly grabbed what I could with the pooled credits. Namana flavored White Talon. Guy behind the counter didn't even ask me for my ID. Guess the scars and the chewed up ear was enough for him. Sweet and Spicy Dewback Jerky. There was a serious lack of Cizerack snacks, but that shouldn't be that surprising this far from the cluster. I did find some adequate stand ins. Nibiskii Borios Twice Filled Creme Cookies, Tortillious Hot Cheese chips; and then I stumbled across a collection of chips I haven't seen before. They were definitely not Cizerack snacks. I couldn't find a Cluster signet on the packaging anywhere. They were definitely some kind of off-world ripoff. Sol Chips, it said boldly in front of the figure of an illuminated figure that was definitely not the Goddess of the Sun but strongly resembled all the same. The heresy was hilarious. I had to get these. I grabbed a few different bags of exciting sounding flavors.

Some beer would really go well with the snacks but I didn't have enough credits. Damn. Some other time, you sweet, delicious brew. Maybe after I finish a few local jobs I'll have the credits to get some proper booze. Maybe that's the secret to Beck's heart. Get her liquored up. Definitely worked on a lot of other women in my past. The sober morning was usually a nightmare but worth it, bro.

Loading all the snacks into a couple of bags I went right back to the motel room, with my eyes on a swivel for that weirdo with the tiny eyes. Pushing open the door I heaved the loot in ahead of me, shaking the bags for Beck to see.
    Last edited by Codename: Abaddon; Apr 17th, 2020 at 04:31:38 PM.

It was as though Ori had returned with the Great Treasures of Morizanura, with those bulging bags hefted up with both of her hands like glittering trophies for the world to see. And right now, that was exactly what they were.

She'd been sitting on the bed, idly cycling through the basic holochannels on the screen, but was instantly on her feet at the sight of her new friend and the glorious crinkling of cellophane wrappings sounding from with those two plastic bags. How often was it that she'd been essentially saved from some silly extradition attempt, only to be showered with snacks and a place to hide out for the time being?! Maybe to some folks who led far more adventurous lives it was a common occurance, but for her this was completely new, and a little bit exciting, even!

Course, in the back of her mind were those words that Ori had spoken, bouncing around still, but for now her thoughts remained focused on their 'dinner'.

"That was quick!"

Reg hadn't come back, thankfully, and Beck decided that for now, it was best to simply enjoy the company, the food, and the fact that for now she was safely ensconced in a dingy hotel room that had become a saving grace, with another woman who it seemed was making sure that they were both undisturbed by a silly man trying to get her back for outrunning him during the Turbolaser Run. Talk about a sore loser.

Taking one of the bags so that Ori could finish shutting the door, Beck gave a quick smile as she set it on the bed.

"You made out like a bandit!"

"Fjind anjythjing good on the holo?"

I followed her in and set my bag down on the bed. The parts of it not occupied by the "sleeping" armor. I was going to have to move that armor at some point, which was going to be a real pain now that it was laying down and impossible to climb back into. That meant heaving it to the floor if I wanted to use the bed for sleep tonght; or other activities. Wishful thinking as it was. I shoved a hand into the bag and pulled free one of the bags of knock off snacks. There was no way to not look at the cover and chuckle. It was hilarious! I would have to mail a bag back home. That would put a right curl on her face.

"You've gotta check out thosse Ssol chjipss. What rrjip offss. Ssol Chjipss. Golden Harrvesst flavorr."

The bag ripped easily between my fingers as I pulled it's side apart. I didn't have the nails to tear it open. I kept those badboys filed down. They got in the way more often than they were useful. Male armor isn't exactly designed with long nails in mind. There were plenty of other applications in which short fingernails were ideal, but not the sort you run home and tell mother about. Grabbing one thick cut, wavy chip out of the bag I slipped it into my mouth and chomped down. Texture was a little stale, flavor a little mild, but it was definitely a cheese flavor. Hard to pinpoint the exact kind. Sorta tasted like a bunch of artificial cheese flavors mixed together. It was gross, but in a good way. Like, I could eat the whole bag but I know I would complain about the flavor the whole time.

Practically without thinking she reached out, digging out one of the chips from the bag that was held her way. Popping it into her mouth, Tamera gave a cautious, initial chomp, the after a moment to let the processed 'cheese' flavor to settle on her tongue, she resumed her chewing. A hasty swallow, and a smile was sent Ori's way.

"Not bad!"

In the next moment she scooped up the remote and switched to one of the few basic channels on the holoviewer.

"M*I*S*H is on, that old Imperial hospital sitcom."

'I don't even know why they're shooting at us." The image of a sharp-eyed surgeon was reclined on a cot, in a ramshackle permatent littered with all manner of dirty clothes and other odds and ends.

'All we're doing is trying to bring them order and fried ronto bologne sandwiches... '

Tamera hit the mute button, refocusing her attentions to the treasure trove of snacks that Ori had brought in. The pack of dewback jerky caught her eye, and she pulled it close, tearing at the pre-cut notch to open it up with a 'zniippp'! Two fingers went in, and came back out with a tasty chunk which was soon enough torn in two pieces by her teeth.

It was... it was good, and she chewed in near euphoria.

"Oh mannnn... "

"jI guessss Mando'a rrerrunss arre too much to assk forr."

It definitely would be a better show than whatever this was. I didn't even recognize what I was watching. Although, I had to admit, I was enjoying the witty, biting sarcasm of what I assume is the lead character. Really sticking it to the man with his social commentary, or something like that. I was only half paying attention, after all. I don't know what it was with these gross chips, but damn if I couldn't stop eating them. I walked over to the foot of the bed and looked down at the shape of the armor underneath the covers. Dammit. I really want to sit down, and I'm going to need to sleep at some point. I have a big day tomorrow after all. Shit.

Setting the bag down I pulled the covers off the top of the dented and scraped armor. It was so weird to see it there like that. Usually it was something I saw in the mirror, or in sick selfies I took for my Hologram page. No time to dwell on that. It was creeping me out too much already. I shoved my hands underneath the shoulder and lifted the damn thing, moving my knee on to the bed for more leverage until I finally tipped and pushed it off and on to the floor.

"Phew. Betterr."

I tossed the blanket back over the top and plopped at the foot of the bed. Much better than standing. Just needed more more thing to make it better.

"Come on, ssjit down."

It didn't take much convincing, since the bed was surprisingly comfortable... well, comfortable for a cheap hotel, at least.

Chewing on the last bit of her small chunk of jerky, Beck happily situated herself with remote in one hand and a fistful of crisps in the other.

"So," she swallowed the last of her jerky quickly while continuing to surf through the holochannels, "... tomorrow. You going to go out and do- " a general wave to the gear that Ori had both in and out of her bags, "- whatever you need to do here?"

It was a stupid question on its face more than likely, but Beck had hardly any idea of how these sorts of things worked, and what sorts of schedules were made and kept.

Bending down I ran my hands through the bags again until I found that familiar cold, cylinder shape and pulled one of the White Talons out and popped it open even as I settled back into the foot of the bed.

Beck asked me a question about work, and well, it felt really weird in the pit of my stomach to answer that question. It was an Abaddon question. The answer would definitely have sounded better coming from his helmet than my dumb mouth but I tried anyway.

"Uh, yeah. jI'm trrackjing a bajil jumperr. Hasshjin ssomethjing. jI have hjiss bountjy orrderr arround herre ssomewherre. He'ss verrjy late forr hjiss trrjial on Orrd Mantell, orr majybe jit wass one of the otherr Orrdss. Drrug possssessssjion and djisstrrjibutjion, ssecond degrree mansslaughterr, assssault wjith a deadljy weapon. He was sselljing tajinted ssaltljick to kjidss. Rreal asssshole."

I slipped another chip into my mouth real quick so I would stop talking and then washed it down with the White Talon. I wasn't the biggest Namana lover. Sure, the real stuff was okay but the flavored stuff often had an artificial flavor to it. Still, this was pretty good and the bubble texture gave me something to focus on instead of all the stupid stuff falling out of my mouth. It was better than focusing on how painfully close she was now. Just right there. I could scooch over just a bit and our hips would touch, maybe just a stretch and an arm fall. Yawn or no yawn? I don't think I can do it. No way I'm smooth enough for that, and she's so nice, and so pretty, and- oh god. I can feel my ear blushing. Cinnamon toast fuck, focus on the bubbles!

"Sounds like a real... piece of work."

It was all she could think of to say in the face of everything, and Beck focused on the holo for a few moments, only halfway paying attention to the show. Hawkbat, the lankier of the two in the permatent, was grumbling about something, then ambled up off of his cot and sauntered through the entry flap. Another few characters approached him in a hurry; she recognized this episode; she'd seen it often enough. Some young group of stormtroopers were all in the recovery tents after an ambush, and Hawkbat was just starting to question why it was that the Empire was always fighting against the Rebels.

Peeling her eyes from the current scene, Beck looked at the bedside comm unit.

"I should probably call my great-aunt," she finally mused in a low mumble. It was obvious that she could think of much more enjoyable things to do rather than call her long-distanced kin. Like sawing her foot off.

Her gaze suddenly went to Ori.

"You ever had to call family that you didn't want to call?"

I felt my ear drooping before I had even fully considered the question. The chip in my hand just sort of fell out from between fingers and back into the bag while I desperately tried to find somewhere else to put my eyes, trying to find something to change the subject. I didn't want to answer the question. I hated talking about myself, about Orianna. She's a real fuck up with a whole bunch of problems I don't want to even think about. I would much rather be Abaddon. His parents died when he was a child and he's a kickass orphan because of it. Trained by Juraiyan monks, even!

"jYeah. jI know that feel."

Like last year when I ran out of credits and I had to go crawling back to mom with my, well, stump between my legs I guess. She is always so eager to have me back. Thinks she's finally won and I'll behave and carry on the family name, but it's always a ruse. By the time she's gotten out her list of the richest, most powerful suitors with the strongest genes I'm already dropping out the window with her golden, diamond encrusted Saanjarra statue. She deserves it. She really does. I won't feel bad for her. I refuse. Not after all the shit she's pulled. I am not some key to a better social status. If she wants to be a Meorrrei so badly she can marry them herself.

"Ssometjimess jyou jusst gotta rrjip that patch off and get jit overr wjith. jyou know? Betterr ssoonerr than laterr."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345