Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ces Bottes Sont Faites Pour Marcher

Complete Ces Bottes Sont Faites Pour Marcher

Quand tu me dis que tu n'as pas d'autres filles

The tube of midnight purple lipstick had nearly been worn to the base. It was imported from Naboo, from a premium line that had been discontinued a year ago. An endangered species of fashion that would never be replaced, capturing a mood that sat hidden behind a stormcloud, uncharted and undefined. She didn't hold out for a special occasion or quantify how many more applications she'd get out of it before the lip color was forever used up. She felt like wearing it, so she did.

Standing in front of her full-length mirror in her quarters, Mags pursed her lips, blotting them carefully on a napkin before crumpling it in her hand and dropping it on the floor. The purple of her lipstick matched the purple of the bruise blossoming to either side of her broken nose, with the darkest blooms of color puffing just below the inside corners of her eyes. The bruise faded somewhat towards the epicenter of the cleanly-set break, with a line of broken skin showing a young scab of maroon. She carefully eased a small adhesive kolto bandage over the bridge, then slid on an oversized pair of black-framed sunglasses that almost-but-not-quite disguised the scene of the crime.

It wasn't intended as a cover-up. It was an accessory. The Twi'lek smirked.

Je sais parfaitement que tu mens

The sun dress slid on with ease. It was white with a pattern of pink carnations and green leaves, with pleats that ended just above the knees and shoulder straps at the top. The neck line didn't plunge, but it also did nothing to disguise the motley array of tattoos along her arms, collar, and chest. Everything from crudely-inked and faded prison tattoos featuring barbed wire and an axe-split stormtrooper on one arm, to vivid ivy and flowers around her other arm, through which the word NAYA emerged in cursive. The tattoos faded at the wrists, leaving bare hands, save for the swollen knuckles with broken calloused skin buttressing each. Mags applied a kolto salve, then gave each set of battering rams a simple wrap of shrink bandage.

She reached to the modest open closet, snatching a handful of thin scarf from a hook on the door frame. It was cut from the same bolt of fabric as the dress, obviously to match. The Twi'lek wrapped the middle of the scarf atop her head and the base of her lekku, then carefully folded the ends away with a toss over her shoulder, so that they didn't quite obscure inked skin.

Tout le monde sait
    Que tu me trompes souvent

The jacket came next. Oiled and gleaming black leather with a creamy fleece liner that ran up and over the collar. Even without the patches at each shoulder, it was the kind of jacket that couldn't be mistaken for any other. It wasn't the kind of jacket suitable for officer's bars, and that suited Mags just fine. All she needed was a simple patch across the breast that read SONDEETA adacent to the Alliance Starbird. At the other breast was a well-used pocket. Mags opened the flap, pulling out a beaten paper carton with a picture of a rugged Tatooine Bantha rancher on the front. Three short shakes confirmed to her ear cones that the carton at least had some amount of habit still remaining inside. Good enough. She returned the pack to the pocket.

Looking down to her bare feet, Mags slid down to the foot of her bed, pulling on a pair of mid-calf socks over her contemptuously-woolen legs. Her toes wiggled as all the slack was drawn out, and Mags reached for her boots. As oiled and black as the jacket, with scuffed toes to the point of exposing the steel reinforcement in places. They weren't a statement of fashion, but one of complete practicality. Boots tough enough to kick down a door, and the guy behind the door as well.

She drew one cigarette from the pack at her breast, touching it between purple lips. A match sparked as it raked across a durasteel boot toe, and she touched off the tip with a series of puffs. Satisfied with the state of things after one last look in the mirror, Mags headed for the door to leave, but not before pausing by the refresher to throw the still-lit match in the sink.

Alors méfie-toi, je t'avertis maintenant

Out in the wilds of Jovan she prowled, undaunted and aloof the way that only a Twi'lek could be.

"Hey you can't smoke in Residential!" someone balked, freezing in place as they craned their head back with incredulity. Mags' only reply was the tip of her tchun lekku switching left and up sharply, a members-only insult that not only insinuated that the offended human's parents weren't married, but that his father probably fancied livestock.

Plenty of heads turned between the apartments section and the junction leading to the concourse, but no one else had any other useless advice for her.

Ces bottes sont faites pour marcher

Two minutes worth of browsing at a cart kiosk in the pedway, and Mags found the latest copy of Blasters and Ordnance, which she purchased for two credits, but not before disposing of her spent cigarette in the tip jar. She flipped through the flimsi, activating the touch menu to change the language to Twileki.

An Ithorian prettyboy got his head nearly turned off his neck in the midst of a gawk, and he trilled out a wolf whistle in Mags' direction. She turned a page, drawing her page-turning hand out into a stiff-arm that caught the wolf-whistler under the chin. Mags pushed the prettyboy onto his heels, causing him to fall back against his friends to a chorus of "Ohhhhh!!!"s and howls of laughter.

Et tu vas le regretter

The sign up ahead read Cafe in basic, and Mags took her place in the short queue. Ahead of her, a Bothan had just got his order, leaving a Cizerack woman to be tended to next. That is, if she'd stop talking on her commstick and pay attention to the barrista. Mags allowed that breach of etiquette to exist for....about twenty seconds. She then tucked her flimsi under one arm, reached forward, and swiped the comm stick from the felinoid's hand.

"She'll call you back."

With that, the Twi'lek disconnected the line, and tossed the commstick over her shoulder, leaving a mortified Cizerack trying to figure whether to start something or to cut her losses. Discretion became the better part of valor, and the felinoid surrendered her place in line to go chasing after her discarded communicator.

Car je mettrai ces bottes
    Un jour ou l'autre pour te quitter

With the barrista's undivided attention, Mags carefully eased her sunglasses off her head.

"Un cafe. Ryloth roast. And bread."

The human teenage girl in the green apron gawked at the bloom of a bruise across Mags' face. A sympathy grimace formed on her features.

"Do you want cream or frothed milk, ma'am?" she squeaked.

"No."

"Sugar or flavored syrup?"

Mags returned her sunglasses back to her eyes, her patience stretching.

"No. I am sweet enough."
    Last edited by Mags Sondeeta; Oct 15th, 2017 at 08:03:37 PM.

Two minutes later, Mags had her cup of black caf, along with a saucer holding a pair of crusty bread slices. She paid her two credits, drawing a plasteel knife and two foil-wrapped tabs of buerre from the end of the counter, along with a napkin. Turning, the Twi'lek surveyed her seating options, which were few and far between. The dozen or so two-top tables were almost entirely occupied, save for a single table with a sole occupant.

Not bothering to ask if the empty seat was being saved or to ask permission to join the other patron, Mags kicked the chair out enough to allow her entry, and took the initiative to sit without invitation. There, she paid the other person no mind whatsoever. Mags kept her attention fixed on Blasters and Ordnance that she lay on the table as she unwrapped one of the little foiled tabs on the saucer.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Morgan didn't want to talk to anyone right now. He stewed over the implications of his latest outing, and needed help figuring out, yet again, where the hell the lightsabers came from. He needed time and tools to dissect the tractor beam projector too. The next ship to Ossus wasn't for the better part of a day. He took a deep breath. Patience.

He went through the previous footage again. Were the Binayre Pirates just toadies, or part of the larger scheme? While mostly deaf to the Living Force, he had a nagging itch that told him this was a dust spec on the bigger comet. No new clues in the footage, so he pulled up his list of notes, which left him with more questions than answeres.

He slowly reached over his now empty plate for the cup of black caf, but grabbed the wrong one in his distracted state.

The gaffe went unnoticed by the similarly-aloof Twi'lek, who was far too interested in reading up on applications of the new arc caster cannon system to notice the theft. Only a half second later did she reach for her own caf, finding the cup a few inches farther from her than she realized. Mags didn't realize her folly until she was already mid-sip from a cup that was half as full and half as hot.

"Ah!" She recoiled slightly from the stranger's cup, her lekku rared up on her shoulders. A broadside of vulgarity was loaded on her tongue and ready to fire, but the volley stayed at the sight of the stranger across from her. Behind her oversized sunglasses, the Twi'lek's green eyes lost their feral flash, returning to a yellow alert of smoldering wariness.

"I zink you 'ave my cup."

And I have yours, left plainly unsaid. And not immediately relinquished. Instead, the Twi'lek found her attention fixed on Morgan's chin, of all places. A strong chin. You could strike a match on it. Mags tasted the residual caf staining her lips with the faintest of tongue presses, her lekku slacking as they eased down to drape once more.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    The cup was halfway to his lips when he was pulled back to reality. Morgan experimented with the heft of the cup for a moment, and then set it back down, closer to Mags than himself. He took in the Twi'Lek in front of him: mirrored stylish glasses, newish bruises, broken nose, kolto patch, lipstick (color interesting), Blasters and Ordnance (newest edition), small scars (shrapnel?), strong accent (Ryloth native?), lekku relaxing, fast fight/flight--favoring fight based on the lekku's previous position, slight head tilt (inner ear injury?), hands slightly swollen around the knuckles that used recently, front two knuckles dominant, good puncher. Jacket indicated a pilot. She had shitkickers on her feet, dress was stylish, with a matching scarf. Sondeeta was displayed on a patch. Extensive tattoos of varied quality. Cigarette carton in her pocket.

His eyes met hers for a brief moment. She was still on guard. His said nothing.

"I'll get a fresh cup if you like." Morgan offered even though her own cup was still unsullied except from his oversized hands. He straightened in the chair and sniffed. They were drinking the same caf. She had smoked in the last 30 minutes.

It hadn't escaped Mags' attention that the caf she'd sipped by accident was precisely her preferred bean, served simply as-is. Whoever he was, he wasn't an imbecile or a child who insisted on adding four credits of filler to a two credit cup to distract from the ritual. She didn't believe in anything so starry-eyed as serendipity or coincidence, but she'd found herself seated next to a handsome man with good taste.

"I zeenk no. Ze damage, eet ees done."

Spoken with no offense in her tone. Point in fact, Mags went ahead and sipped again from the swapped cup.

"Eef you are ill, zen you are ze 'ealthiest-looking sick man I 'ave seen."

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Morgan smiled slightly while witty comments collided in his head. It wasn't every day that he met someone who knew what a good cup of caf was. He took a sip. It was a use the ritual as a distraction to slow his racing mind. He set his data pad down to give Sondeeta his full attention.

In the end, he went for the more direct approach "Even if I was sick, you look like someone who would beat a cold into submission through sheer will and a good right cross." He took another sip of the fresh, hot caf and set down the mug again. Mags did the same. Morgan straightened and offered his hand.

"Morgan Evanar."

She watched him banter and flatter, betraying her interest with the slightest of pivots so that her right ear cone favored him. Someone else might have said something just as understated or clever, and the Twi'lek would have rolled her eyes or told them to jump up the behind of a reek for darkening her path. Morgan Evanar, however, tightrope walked the fine line between the pilot's interest and disdain. He skirted disaster with a look that couldn't be copied. You either had it or you didn't.

"I do not remember ever being sick. Eef I was, zen I deed not 'ave time to be. Unless you are to be cougheeng out your leever, zen I zeenk I will be OK."

Mags' midnight purple lips didn't quaver or budge. Maybe it was a trick of the light that only made it seem like the corners of her mouth upturned. A smile made only by the sort of person that hoarded and never shared them, as she passed a rough-hewn hand over the table to meet his.

"Mags."

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Her hands carried scars, too. Her grip was firm, and Morgan was careful to match it. Less force meant he wasn't taking her seriously, and more force meant that he was trying to either control or intimidate her. He wanted neither. The handshake came apart and Mags was entertained enough to keep him around for the moment.

Morgan could feel his ability to push the conversation forward begin to stall. So he went with a forward question.

"What's your favorite way to pass a day, Mags?"

"My favoreet way ees by avoideeng questions like zat one." came the dry, smart-aleck response, hidden behind an expression somewhere between deadpan and amusement. Mags hung onto Morgan's question for a moment. She hadn't told him to piss off and run up the bulkhead yet. He'd made it through the default defense, against odds larger than him.

"But eef you say what do you do more zan not, zen 'ere ees ze answer I zeenk."

Mags raised her cup for emphasis, tipping it to her lips. She eased the cup back down, returning her hand back to her mouth with the corner of a napkin.

"We 'ave ze same taste een ze caf bean. Ees zat serendipity?"

The smirk on Mags face hinted at her skepticism, but she'd hear his case.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Morgan had grown up enough to know when he was in a social tail spin. Right now the Bitchin' Belandi repeated "Pull Up."

"Fair enough." He showed his palms outward toward Mags before setting them back on the table.

"We had a two hundred million four hundred and thirty six thousand seven hundred and eight to one chance in meeting each other. Give or take ten thousand. It's a big galaxy, and we both, uh, work for the Alliance. I'm comfortable calling that serendipity, but I'm just an idiot who's good at math." He said, because of course he calculated "Serendipity" in his head. That's what his brain did when it started to puzzle things out.

He took another sip of the coffee and watched her over the edge of the mug, and couldn't figure out if she was entertained or now totally annoyed.

"When you put eet zat way," Mags quirked an intrigued eyebrow as she dunked an edge of her buttered toast into her caf, "you take all ze romance out of ze notion."

Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Mags didn't immediately answer, and took a nibble of her dark-stained breakfast. Carefully daubing after setting the bread aside, Mags leaned back in her chair. She reached up to remove her sunglasses.

"You are geefted in ze mathematique? I do not see an AJ^6 construct on your 'ead. A natural talent?"

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    The sunglasses went up and into her breast pocket, and it was as he suspected. Mags had been in a fight, and she had probably given at least as good as she got. She was still here, which meant, oh who the hell knows, not Morgan. He wasn't sure how much of his mathematical was the Force and how much of it was innate talent, but it was probably some of both. Since he was gifted with the Force the logical conclusion was that it was natural.

"No machine aides, just the strange quirks of nature." Morgan explained, and tapped his temple. "Very good at math, and hopelessly lost at conceptual romance."

He took a ration bar out of his jacket and ate a quarter of it. He folded the wrapper and put it back in the pocket, where it huddled along with the rest of his day's sustaining supplies.

"Zere ees nozzing to know."

Lips pressed in a taut line, Mags leaned back in her chair.

"Romance ees for fools. You like someone. Zey either like you or zey do no. I 'ave no time for zees game. You 'ave a 'andsome face and you are not an eembecile. I could share a table weeth worse."

Taking refuge another beat behind her caf, Mags continued to size up her drinking partner. She returned her cup to the saucer.

"Eef I were a romantique, and I am not, zen next I would ask what ees eet zat you do? Gifted with numbers. An academique? Military scientist? Pazaak cheat?"

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    He flashed a wry smile at her handsome comment, and the tips of his ears went a touch pink. He wasn't immune to flattery from a mutual interest.

"Well, I like your company, too." Morgan admitted, and took a slow draw from the mug. He'd been near a few firebrand pilots in his time, but Mags carried some different baggage, and it was something that had shaped her personality. All Alliance veterans had seen things, but he suspected hers went beyond the average.

"Sometime Pazaak cheat, former droid mechanic, former gang member, mostly former slicer, and stock market hobbyist. My day job is Jedi Knight, but I've been voluntold into a few different posts in the Navy, like the Novgorod." He explained.

"Zat ees funny." Mags stated explicitly without a laugh, betraying only half a begrudged grin. So he didn't want to talk about his professional life, and that was fine.

"Usually when I 'ave 'eard ze one about ze Jedi, eet comes weeth an invitation to see a lightsaber." the Twi'lek made an acerbic face as she dredged her toast in her caf.

Symbolically cutting that option off at the pass, Mags deftly snipped the caf-soaked corner of bread with a quick bite.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Morgan shrugged, and looked Mags dead in the eye as he reached in his jacket. He drew his lightsaber from it's shoulder holster, rotated it level, and put it gently down in front of him on the table.

His eyes never left hers when he pulled the coffee back to his lips.

A fleeting look of genuine surprise widened the Twi'lek's eyes as she passed her attention between the lightsaber and it's owner. The wide eyes didn't last, but they were replaced by an actual smile. A small one, but not to be confused with a smirk or any symptom of ambivalence.

"I 'ave not met a Jedi since I was very young."

She was instantly taken back in time. The lightsaber hung on Master Di's belt, just about at eye level. He seemed so tall and invincible to her when she'd glimpsed him. Amid the violence, hunger, and terror - Master Di was hope. That hope did not go unquestioned for long. Master Di fell. So too did Lessu, and all of Ryloth. She'd hoped to wake up from a nightmare when she'd first seen a Jedi, but she learned early on that even Jedi weren't invincible.

Suddenly aware of her own silence, Mags returned to the here and now.

"Zen I suppose ze less fantastique claims, zey are also true?"

A thought crossed her mind - a thought that her thoughts might also cross his. Was that not one of a Jedi's many powers? She felt all the fear and wonder that went with that possibility.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Morgan knew that look he spied when he put the weapon back in it's holster.

"I'm barely telepathic. The way I cheat at cards is through math and old-fashioned tell reading. Congrats, you've met one of the odd ones out." He raised the mug and took a small sip before placing it back on the saucer.

"The less fantastic things are all true. What about you? Ryloth native?" He asked.

"Yes." she admitted, reaching for her cup again. By the time she'd drawn it from her lips, she was holding it with both hands.

"For all until ze last two years."

Mags rolled her shoulders slightly beneath her jacket.

"Weeth ze treaty, ze Imperiale occupation, eet was no longer sustainable, as zey say."

The twi'lek's jawline tightened as her expression turned smoldering.

"So zen zey left. As eef zey 'ad simply decided eet was so."

Her cup was returned to the saucer, loud enough to clatter the dishes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast