Thread: Star Wars Book Club: Ahsoka by E. K. Johnston

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11

Books Star Wars Book Club: Ahsoka by E. K. Johnston

I preordered this book that is supposed to fill the gap between Clone Wars and Rebels. It is considered a young Adult Book like Lost Stars. Who is also interested in this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-E-K-Johnston-ebook/dp/B01EMJ2VYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475958960&sr=1-1&keywords=ahsoka

There will be an audio book version of this book read by Ashley Eckstein herself. So maybe some of you might want to check this also out.

Did anyone else end up reading this one?

I thought it was pretty good especially early on. Really feeds into the feeling of despair and desperation of surviving the purge. It also felt very spartan. There wasn't a lot of set pieces to deal with, and it left the author a lot of room to really focus on Ahsoka's character, which is at the core of the story.

The end felt a little bit too tidy, almost rushed. I disliked a few things like the whole crystal shenanigans, seeing A-wings a year after the clone wars, etc, but on the whole, it's probably as good as Bloodlines, if a completely different kind of book.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I finally finished reading it. I read a lot of pages on my daily commute with the bus and I heard longer sections of the book from the audio book while driving to my parents. Having Ashley Eckstein reading this was a real treat.

My biggest complaint about this book is that it felt more like a novelization of a Clone Wars/Rebels story arc instead of being a longer story. I expected the book to cover more ground than it did. I think the Star Wars Celebration Panel (https://youtu.be/lS4sclln5J4) lured me into the false believe that the book would cover the time between Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels.

Unfortunately it only answers the question of how Ahsoka got her white lightsabres

The book is well written and it tells Ahsoka shift from being on the run to actually trying to becoming fulcrum in a convincing way but it never creates exciting new characters. Bail Organa is great in it and shows him in a new light but unlike Bloodline and Lost Stars this book does not give you new characters to be excited about.

Disney is marketing this book as a Young Adult Novel but wastes a lot of potential. I would have loved to read about Ahsoka after the temple and before Order66. She is still a teen. She has got super powers but no attachments anymore. The first few days in which she realizes that must have been awesome to read about. I would have loved to have more of a coming of age story with all the young adult stuff that comes with that

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I'm waiting for this one to pop up on Audible UK as an audiobook, but certainly feeling optimistic about it.