Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Whole New World... (Torgeir)

Passing another maintenance droid, he avoided a collision with the R2 unit as it hurried along, apparently on a mission. Her query met with another wry grin. "No, actually we're from Coronet. He did grow up in the suburbs though and got me into the maintenance business. Was studying to be a technician, but," his voiced started to drift off as the memories of the accident returned again. "Now I'm here instead."

"So," he changed the subject as they moved through the galley and turned right, heading toward the berthing area. "You from the city?" Of course there were many cities on their homeworld and by the looks of her, she could be from any one of them. She was definitely well educated, so that narrowed it down a bit.

"Coronet, just like you."

She gave him a measured glance, as if summing him up again, all over. He didn't sound like the other big city guys - sure, there was a swagger in the way he carried himself, but that was a Corellian for you - Torgeir seemed somewhat earthier, and more sensitive, even. Not that she'd tell him that: guys hated to be considered sensitive where she was from. Brave? Sure. Charming? Absolutely. Humorous? Without a doubt. But sensitive? That was a quality reserved for women, or men not attracted to women. How she hated the knuckle-dragging troglodytes of home.

"When my dad became a professor at the University of Corellia, we moved deep into the city, where its all crowds, and noise, and rush rush rush. He hated it there. Still hates it, I'm sure," she added, with a whisper of a smile. "My other dad, well, he's a cop, and he thrives on the buzz. Like me. We would go camping in Bela Vistal, and spend time on the lake, in the woods. It was hell."

She rolled him a look of exasperation, and this time, she smiled for real. Between them, the unfinished comment he'd made about studying to be a technician was left hanging in the air, and it had not gone unnoticed. But people didn't say things for a reason, so she gave him his space, and instead gently probed the surface.

"So, what about you? Is there anyone in your family who's... gifted?"

Chuckling lightly as she talked about the resort town which he had only ever seen in holovids, he could imagine her laying out on the beach sunning herself while being served by a droid or employee of the hotel. Complaining about dinner and what she didn't have to wear were all familiar complaints for Elaine usually did the same thing when they wanted to go out. But, that was another time and place as well. Nearing the entry for the berthing area, he slowed his pace and eyed her as she asked about his family. "Not that I know of. Grandpa may have," he shrugged, shifting the weight of his duffel bag onto his broad shoulder again. "He always talked about having dreams come true and stuff like that, but never heard of him talking about moving things with his mind or anything like that. Typically he thought those kind of people had all been wiped out, then we hear about the Imperial Knights," his demeanor melted with the title.

"I take it you haven't met any of them yet," he posed as more of a question.

"No," Ireen's eyebrows leapt at the thought, "No, my days have been blissfully free of Her Majesty's Imperial Knights."

The words oozed out, thick with derision. The self-styled Knights were a perfect personification of Imperial hypocrisy, and yet, as always, it seemed to be the Empire, and only the Empire, that remained entirely oblivious of this fact. Though she had walked amongst them, and dressed like them, talked like them, and even acted like them, Ireen knew in her heart it had been nothing more than a survival tactic. The others, the ones who served the Empire with pride, she often found herself wondering what it was they saw when they looked in the mirror every day.

"The Empire seems to think it can hold a monopoly on the Force itself. It is people like Lilaena De'Ville, and now you, and me, who must see that never happens."

Eyes front and hard, she was surprised to hear the edge in her voice, as sharp and unyielding as any durasteel blade. The poison of her experiences was beginning to pollute even her speech. She sounded different, and she liked it.

"Look at me, now. I'm such a badass. Grrr!" It sounded more like the growl of a puppy, but all the same, she socked him a gentle thump in the arm. This stranger. What in the galaxy was she doing!?

"Um," she cleared her throat, turning pink and sheepish, "This is your room."

Laughing as she lightly punched his prosthetic arm, hidden beneath the jacket and glove, Torgeir then noticed the blush in her cheeks and began to realize what was truly happening here. Humor still in his smile, the mechanic glanced into the room and though small, very comfortable. Nodding, he moved to step into it, turning slightly as it seemed she was now more than eager to leave him. "Thanks." Facing her more directly now as he set his duffel bag onto the floor to his right, "And whatever it takes, I'm eager to get the training underway and help you guys." Glancing to the inset dresser on his right, he set his tool belt onto it and returned his steel-blue gaze to her. "Not going to be much use in a turret just yet, but if anything on this ship gets broken, I can take care of that." Even though he had noticed several droids onboard, Torgeir was certain they had at least one maintenance droid to help already.

Not all that willing to let her go just yet, he stepped back toward the doorway, "So, how's Lilaena as a trainer?"

"She..." Ireen's gaze found a spot on the ceiling, as if she would find there a helpful list of adjectives. Then, in silent agreement with herself, she gave a nod, "She's tough, and she has high standards, aaand equally high expectations. Stick to her rules and you will see results. When I started, I was made from cookie dough, now... now I'm made from cookie dough that's been in the freezer a while."

Self-deprecation was her armour, and it was becoming cumbersome. She shrugged off its weight.

"It's not all about fitness, of course. Lilaena has seen things. There's not a word she says that doesn't come from personal experience: listen, and she will equip you with the tools for survival. You're going to need them. We all will."

It seemed they had all seen a lot, though Torgeir knew his own experiences varied quite differently with what Ireen was referencing and though he had only met Lilaena recently, he could tell that she had been through a lot. Nodding, he backed finally. "Thanks for the insight." Glancing toward the galley, he imagined their captain about ready to leave. "I'll put this stuff away and meet you guys in the cockpit here in a sec." Turning, he moved to the duffel bag and lifted it once more and opened the tall, slender door to his modest closet. Noting a top shelf and rod for hanging clothes, the mechanic instead hung the long, dark green bag on a hook suspended to the inside right wall. Grabbing his tool belt, he stuffed that onto the shelf, then closed the door.

After one last scan of his room, and door to the refresher, Torgeir moved back out of the suite and took a closer inspection of the ship's interior as he headed toward the cockpit.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    "Settled in?" asked De'Ville, looking up from where she was sitting in the co-pilot's seat. Not that she was co-piloting - she could fly the ship in a pinch, but if there was someone more qualified for the job she would let them do it. Jeng was punching in the coordinates from the navicomp as Naboo fell away beneath them, a curl of smoke rising from the small, homemade cigarette between his lips.

"Better strap in," the blond Mandalorian said around his cigarette as the freighter turned toward the jump point and he dialed up the sublights. Jeng pressed the intercomm for the benefit of Ireen, who was somewhere else in the ship. "Jumping in two minutes."

Lilaena motioned Torgeir into one of the extra seats in the cockpit. "We will have a few hours to kill while we travel. How are you at fighting?" She made two fists and held them up in a classic boxing pose, raising her eyebrow.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Entering the more cramped compartment, full of panels of lights and switches all alive with energy, it seemed, steel blue eyes instead gravitated to his new teacher in the Force noticing in his peripheral the trail of smoky wisps rising from the pilot's seat, then heard his voice announce their departure time. Nodding to Lilaena, he stepped left to the proffered seat and claimed it, then buckled up. Though he had worked on many ships in the past few years, his fascination of how all those parts grouped together in a large, sleek contraption such as this could actually get off the ground and take them to far flung worlds that he had never heard of, or seen.

Relaxing in the padded chair, he turned his gaze to the copilot and grinned at her query about his fighting ability. "I grew up on Corellia," he replied as if it was a no brainer, though not everyone would be so bold, especially to someone that knew the Force like she did and after what Ireen had told him. "But, yeah, I can defend myself when it comes to it," he winked. Even though he was a bit apprehensive about his own abilities when stacked up to a war veteran, Torgeir would give it his best when asked. The only thing that she wasn't aware of yet was the prosthetic arm concealed underneath his jacket and glove, though he recalled now eluding to it some time ago. Even though the arm was a part of him, it still felt foreign to the proud mechanic.

Ireen remained silent in her seat, content to listen, watch, and potentially learn from the exchange.

(OOC: Please feel free to continue posting without me. I will certainly chime in from time to time, but I don't want to post for the sake of posting and hinder the chemistry.)

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Do you prefer to fight with your fists, blasters, or..? Words?" Lilaena's eyes tracked to Ireen as the girl joined them in the cockpit, but returned to Torgeir.

"Hold on," said Jeng, and the great hand of inertia pressed them all into their cushioned seats as he pulled the hyperdrive control. Stars stretched into lines, dissolved into the swirls of hyperspace. De'Ville unbuckled her restraints and swiveled her seat around so she could see Torgeir more clearly.

Glancing to the attractive blonde, Torgeir smirked at her, then returned his attention to Lilaena as she inquired about his past conflicts. Chuckling lightly, a quote came to mind. "My Uncle Sebastian used to say, you can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word. Personally, I leave it up to the ones that I'm confronting. If they can be swayed with words, then by all means. But, if they're hard headed then I have no issue with knocking some sense into them."

At that statement, even the pilot now turned in his chair and eyed the brown haired Corellian, amusement in his eyes as he puffed on the cigarra hanging from his lips.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Lilaena almost smiled at his bravado. They would find out soon enough what sort of bite the Corellian had. "Any experience with bladed weapons?" She didn't wait for his answer, standing up and holding herself steady with a hand on the back of Jeng's chair. "We have a battle circle in one of the common rooms. Care to try it out?"

"No, but first time for everything," he replied and unbuckled himself, then rose and followed her from the cockpit. Studying under someone so attractive could potentially be a hazard, especially with someone that could read his mind. But he was definitely going to try his best, anything less wasn't an option. Moving through narrow corridors, passed rooms that were either bedrooms or full of communications or other gear, they soon arrived in the appointed dojo, of sorts. An assortment of weapons concealed within a display case came into view as both doors opened wide, revealing their secrets. She wasn't kidding, he mused.

Walking toward the variety of weapons, he glanced at Lilaena as the pilot and Ireen joined them to see how quickly the Corellian would get his ass handed to him, no doubt. "You have all these made, or claim them from unfortunate people that got in the way," he inquired, partially as a joke.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

"Why can't it be both?" she asked with a quirk of a smile. Shucking off her boots and socks, Lilaena padded barefoot into the large circle that had been spray painted onto the deck. There were no padded mats - Mandalorians certainly didn't believe in padding - and she reached up and stretched a bit, popping her neck. "Choose what you will, then join me in the Circle. This is not the official Battle Circle, of course, but serves for training. No death blows allowed, and once you enter you cannot leave until the winner is apparent."

Smirking at her reply, he then watched as she took off her footwear and stepped into the circle without claiming a weapon. Yep, this was going to be painful, he mused knowing that she was going to show him how someone was disarmed and then killed with their own weapon. He had seen it in holovids a hundred times, but now he would get a firsthand look. Nodding, he sighed and moved to the case and removed his jacket and then gloves, revealing for the first time how extensive his injury had been as the chrome-like appendage included his shoulder. Setting the clothing on the floor, revealing his tank, he also removed his boots and socks, knowing it wouldn't be fair to face her unless it was on equal terms. Being Corellian, he had his pride to think about as well as his reputation. Picking the short blade, he turned and quietly stepped into the etched circle and tried to mentally prepare himself. Keeping the blade in his real, right hand, he would use the metal one as a shield of sorts, as he had during fights with all those that his friends back home had gotten him into.

Taking a wider stance, he held the blade at the ready....

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Lilaena circled him slowly, and Torgeir matched her pace, keeping the distance between them. As she crossed the circle she held out her hand, pulling a matching blade to his from the rack into her palm.

She spun it in her hand and then feinted toward him to see how he'd react.

Steel-blue eyes noted the action with the Force and though he still had yet to explore that part of himself, Torgeir knew that natural ability only enhanced what that part of him could accomplish. As she spun the blade in her hand, he moved up to meet her, using his metal arm to block the feint, then fired a quick lunge toward her midsection...

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

She swung quickly to block his lunge, the feint pulled back even as he had lifted his prosthetic arm to meet it. The blades rang loudly in the training area, swords sliding off each other as she danced back to the edge of the circle. He followed her, perhaps eager to press any advantage to push her outside the ring, and their blades met again. If it were a battle of sheer strength he probably had the edge, but she was not finished so quickly.

A twist of her wrists slid her blade around his, and she shoved his sword point down toward the ground. Lilaena could have pressed further, aimed her weapon for his belly, but he recovered quickly and she settled for escaping the edge of the circle and starting the dance all over again. This time he could make the first move.

She was fast and agile and Torgeir's thoughts before they sparred were being justified as he moved and did his best to at least make a good show of it. The clang of metal matched his heartbeat as the mechanic kept as close to his new teacher as he could, feinting low with his blade then moved in with a punch with the metal fist, though keeping his eye on her knife.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast