Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captain Coruscant and the Four-Armed Menace

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Like a man overdone with relief he leaned forward himself, one hand going out to try and calm her excitement.

"No no... "

He stopped short then, staring at her before straightening just a small bit.

"It's nothing so formal, I promise."

Still that look in her eyes, that hopeful exuberance.

It reminded him of himself, so many... many years ago.

"We can do it with a holorecorder and time-stamp. Nothing too grandiose."

Still though, he couldn't help his smile. He felt all of a sudden young again, and the sight of Mayael Rakkamar was without a doubt what made him feel as though he'd only just joined the Rebels. Her earnest energy, her innocence...

Kes broke himself away then, leaning back in his seat with a sudden resurgence of pragmatism.

"Then you're serious," and still he couldn't help the hopeful gaze that escaped over the tops of his eyes. The gaze that made him feel like that younger man with the close-cropped crewcut and aspirations to do good in the galaxy.

A sharp breath then, and he let out a sharp laugh. Leaning forward, the redhead snatched the glass of juice from her hand while in the same motion rising to his feet.

"Then, I think this calls for something more 'professional', don't you?"
    Last edited by Kes Akiena; Feb 14th, 2016 at 01:21:20 AM.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "What do you mean professional?" She inquired as she rose to her feet also and looked after Kes; her brown furrowed with confusion. She was genuinely a Wyrewulf lost in the mountains; no idea where she was going or which way she came. The closest thing she had to being part of an organized and professional body was Grov's Reavers, and the only thing professional about them was that they paid for your funeral expenses should you die in a raid. Basic was such a strange language. "Professional" could mean anything. Physical test, health inspection, or perhaps some kind of written test. She had a pen on her somewhere.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

A partial wave and gesture to alleviate any thoughts she might have.

"Eh, professional... official... it's all the same."

Kes moved back to the kitchenette, pulling close a small datapad that seemed as though it'd only been waiting for him to access its' files.

As Mayael semi-followed him, moving to the opposite side of the bar-like counter that separated the kitchenette and the main living room, he made sure that his eyes remained steady.

A single finger hovered over the 'record' button'. It was all terribly ad-hoc and spur-of-the-moment, but in the only way possible, it was exactly how it should be.

"Just tell me when you're ready."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Ah, a recording. It was only now that she realized that she was still wearing hew gaudy sewn together uniform and her hair was messy from work. Had she really looked a tramp the whole time she had been here. How embarrassing! She quickly ran a hand over hair, smoothed out her uniform, cleared her throat, and then clasped her hands together in front of her. Each set of hands nestled into it's partner.

"Ready."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

All told, it had only really taken no more than five minutes. She'd repeated the words he spoke for her, and a few seconds after she'd finished, he shut down the recorder, popping out the data crystal and depositing it on a small stack of datapads for future filing.

A nod to her, and Kes held out his hand in an offered shake.

"Welcome to service, Ms. Rakkamar."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    It was over before it began. A simple oath, with only a few words she struggled to pronounce. She felt... elated, and light. As if a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Everything was shiny and soft edged; like being drunk. Kes put away the recorder, and turned back with a hand outstretched. She could not help but smile as she took his hand with one of hers and shook it. And then she took a step forward, closing the small space between them, and wrapped all four of her arms around him.

"Thank you."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Her arms around him hadn't been expected, and the redhead was taken up in an embrace that's caught him very much off-guard. Especially since she had the height advantage. Which, truthfully, wasn't an uncommon thing. There was a reason that Kori and Dage had nicknamed him 'Squirt'.

At the very least, Kes was able to somewhat bend his arms at the elbows, and his hands found partial purchase along her lower set of arms. In that moment, he wasn't exactly sure if he should try to disengage, or return the hug.

The earnestness of her thanks made the decision for him, and he did his best - though wrapped up in four arms - to return her embrace.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    It was nice, holding another person. To achieve that connection. That level of casual intimacy was not welcome among the pirates; who always felt they had to be as rough and tough as they possibly could be with each other. Although they were cry like children if she took their guns apart without their permission. Back on her homeworld people were much more in touch with each other, and not afraid of physical contact. The universe had revealed itself to be a calloused and emotionally barren place.

Eventually she did remember herself, and that she was hugging her new superior officer, and quickly detached herself from the Commander.

"Vhat will happen now? Will I be sent to other planet or stay on Jovan?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Let go, Kes stood back. His smile once more found its' way onto his lips. That easy smile.

"Well, I suppose that's really up to you. Normally we do send new recruits off to other postings for training and experience, but in this instance, I think I can make a case to let you stay here... "

His hands found their way to the small of his back, clasping together.

"... if that's what you want, of course. If you'd rather leave I'm sure that we can find somewhere that would be best suited to your talents."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    "I wouldn't know where else to go." She replied with a bit of a nervous laugh. "And I would much rather stay here and work for you Commandeer."

A thought noticeably dawned on her. "Where will I work within Alliance? Will I have to do aptitude test, yeah? Am familiar with concept. Did while at Hallingrad Academy. Say I make good engineer or soldier."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

He gave a nod, dwelling for only a moment on her admission of wishing to stay.

"An aptitude test is normally standard procedure, yes."

A few moments passed as he further considered the options in the here and now. If she were to stay, it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to convince the right people that it was in the Alliance's best interest. It would be tricky, but overall easy enough.

"Well, seeing as we've no real way to obtain your official records, we'll just have to start from scratch."

He turned on his heel, moving back into the kitchenette to begin the idle chore of rinsing out their glasses in the sink.

"I think I can drum up a test administrator so that we can get a better view of where you'd be the best fit."

Kes looked up then as he carefully set each glass atop a towel that rested on the counter.

"Would a week be enough time for you to prepare?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Screwing up her face in thought, and touching a finger to her chin, she contemplated the time table. There was a lot she needed to catch up on. She had never considered that she might someday be a part of the Alliance and that meant that Alliance-produced manuals had only rarely entered into her reading circulation. The stacks of technical manuals in her apartment came from every source imaginable. Some she had to learn new languages to read, and the Gamorrean JJ7 Swoop Bike Engine Manual had been well worth that time investment. Seriously, how else would she know about that engine manifold exhaust shortcut. It was all information she would, most likely, never employ in her personal life, but there was no end in sight for the amount of technical information she was willing to cram into her head.

"Yes. Yes I think it vill." She replied at last, already compiling mental notes of visiting her usual suppliers and, of course, the actual Alliance base that she was now totally a member of, and getting her hands on everything from codes of conduct and rules of combat as well as anything pertaining to equipment, engineering, and weapons. Her true passions in life. Vorshka willing she'd be able to cram it all in time for the aptitude test. Not a necessity, she knew, since it was a test of her abilities rather than her ideals, but she figured new ideals might influence her responses. In the end, it really couldn't hurt, unless she got slotted into being a cook or an officer worker; otherwise knowing how to built an ion blaster out of household parts would be rather unnecessary for the job.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"Very good."

His smile halfway returned, and Kes gave a sideways glance of approval her way.

The look in her eyes told him enough - she was already thinking ahead.

Drying his hands after shutting off the faucet, the redhead tossed the extra dishrag to the counter. His grin widened as he looked at her.

"Best get to studying then, I think. Don't you?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12