Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some Assembly Required

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Charley
    "jYou can..."

T'yeellaa paused, a hard swallow punctuating things before she continued in a near mumble.

"...ssharre mjy quarrterrss."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ApexLupine
    And now came his turn to pause. Even in the beginning throws of a dismissal, Kes couldn't even form a verbal response. Instead, he simply shook his head in a motion that none could see.

"The thought is kind, but I'd rather avoid any gossip that may spring from that sort of arrangement."

A final, authoritative shake of his head was given - again to no one in particular - and Kes spoke once more.

"No, thank you, but no. If it means that I spend the next few days bunking in my office, then very well. But, on the off chance that you're able to find me an empty berth, I would most appreciate it."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There was an audible sigh of relief that he'd turned her down, and the K'ohta'rrou hoped not loud enough to notice. Buoyed, T'yeellaa's posture straightened.

"The moment sso much asss a sstrrajy cot turrnss up, jI'll make ssurre jit hass jyourr name on jit, ssjirr."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

It was the best he would get, at least at this point in time, and Kes nodded to himself.

"Thank you."

And with that, he reached forward.

"Let me know if you find anything."

With that final word, Kes cut the line. Leaning back in his chair, he let his head fall back, eyes tracking up to stare at the ceiling in an attempt to discern who to blame for this sudden streak of ill fortune.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Another few hours passed in relative peace, but yet again, the inevitable chiming of Commander Akiena's comm began to sound as he attended to matters on the Command deck.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

"I want all of those forms checked, Mister Ek'ette. Make sure that each one is exactly as it should be."

"Yes Sir, Commander."

Standing slightly to the side of the main dais, Kes conversed with his Elomin subordinate in even tones. Ek'ette took the pair of datapads from him,glancing to their screens despite the standby images that they both displayed. He nodded, then gave pause as a thought occurred to him, and he met the Commander's eyes once more.

"Perhaps it would be wise to run them through other channels as well? Stretch a little, and see just how far we can let our eyes wander?"

A shake of his head.

"Normally I'd agree, but not right now. We're still a little too fresh off the line to start with that mess."

Ek'ette gave an understanding nod. "Understood, Sir."

"Besides, I don't think that-"

It was like a soft, insistent prodding, the sound of the comm that now beeped at him, drifting to his ears from his office. And less than a second later, the small comm in his pocket chirped ever-so-happily along in tandem. Waving Ek'ette away to carry on with his tasks, Kes moved a step or two away while fishing his comm from his pocket and answering it.

"Yes?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Howdy do, sir. How're things up there aan the command deck? I'm fiiine doown here, just fine. How're you?"

Was she nervous? A little. Gradoona watched the gout from the coolant line belch fog through the quarters. Already, a sheen of frost was starting to accumulated on the walls.

"Sooo, I've had a tiiiiny setback. But dooncha worry, I'm right aan taap of things."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

In some vestigial action of looking about the rest of the command dais to make sure that none had heard the voice on the other end (a silly movement, as of course no one had), Kes let his eyes track their way to the door of his office. He stayed where he was however, grimacing.

"What's wrong?" The 'now' was held back, but only just barely.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Oooh weeell aside from the Empire skimping aan routine maintenance here and there, we're all penguins and cream down here yaknoo."

The temperature was just fine for the Herglic, even in it's full icy torment. She imagined the smaller human would find it less comfy, however.

"Looks like there's a coolant conduit that runs across this entire deck. Well, I mean, I knew it was there and I could hear it down there yaknoo, but ooh dear I didn't expect there to be corrosion this bad. Anyhoo, I've cut aaff the mainline, juuust waitin' for the reserve to bleed out soo I can dig down in there and put in some new pipe."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

There was a moment when he had nothing to say. Standing in silence, Kes Akiena had a sudden, very real worry for the few possessions that he had. It was a silly concern; one of those initial flashes of panic that preceded the much more mundane realities.

"Ah."

It was all he could get out at this point, his mind suddenly flipping over to a much more dire line of thought.

"This won't push back your original timetable, will it?"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    The Herglic engineer ran a thick hand over the veneer of frost formed on the decking, crushing the more well-formed crystals ans she cleared a seam.

"Well I was still gonna have to get through the decking, soo that part hasn't changed. Maaaybe another three hours for the piping, as the penguin swims."

There was a more pressing worry, however, and Gradoona click-whistled in contemplation.

"Aaf cooourse, now I've gotta give a look-see to the rest aaf the coolant piping on the deck, that can be done non-invasive like till we hit another praablem. Shouldn't impact the timetable on your quarters thoough."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

An inaudible sigh of relief.

"Sounds good then."

An ensign approached, a flimsi held out for the Commander to take. Accepting it with a nod, his eyes scanned over the contents for a few moments. A quick glance to his chrono, and Kes went on.

"I'll be by in about an hour to gather my things."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Gradoona blinked at that.

"Ooh. Oookay then. You miiight wanna get a coat though. It's a bit nippy."

The gout of leaked coolant was slowing to a trickle, and the Herglic broke an icicle off that was forming on the ceiling. With a sigh, she again sparked up her cutter to get to work on excising the corroded length of piping from it's nearest junction. Hopefully the next section would be more robust, but there was no telling at present. She had hardly expected this much trouble out of a routine once-over.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Roughly 52 minutes passed from the time he had hung up to the time that he approached the door of his quarters. Distinct sounds of work could be heard from the other side, and with each step bringing him ever closer, Kes could already see in his mind's eye the utter devastation that would be his 'home'. It was a mental image that he forcefully pushed away. Stepping up to the closed door, the redhead steeled himself as best as possible. His eyes closed, he drew in a deep breath, and keying the entry code, stepped inside as the door opened.

Two steps later found his eye bulging, mouth open as if the cold air had knocked the wind from his lungs. His shoulders both hitched up, hands tensing as fingers splayed in some helpless show of paralysis.

The door slid shut behind him.

In complete shock, he turned wide eyes to Gradoona. She'd said something about a jacket, but he'd thought she'd only been joking! His arms moved then to wrap around his chest in a mockery of an attempt to regain some amount of body heat.

"You bled the coolant line in here?!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    squeedle-eee

Gradoona killed the arc cutter, hoisting a large section of pitted pipe up against the wall where it rested alongside three others. The herglic drew back her protective goggles, her blowhole puffing a steamy breath up into the air.

"Well, we can't put feathers back aan the penguin, sir. I torqued down the emergency valve at the nearest section junction, but that leaves a good 1500 cubic meters of cold juice under pressure, and it's gaatta goo somewhere, yaknoo."

Beaked mouth open in genial rapprochement, Gradoona traced a stubby finger on the nearest frost-crusted wall to create a smiley face.

"Doon'tcha worry a hair, sir. Line's dry, and we'll be at climate equilibrium in a few hours. Aan the plus side, I did get those pesky bracings re-fitted."

Gradoona clanged her hydrospanner against a newly-welded support bracing that connected the deck beams with the outer hull. It sounded very sturdy.

"Hear that, sir? That's the genuine article!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

He could only blink, staring at her in no small amount of chilly surprise. Presently he ventured further in, giving her a nod.

"Sounds... solid."

Gods but it was freezing! He had the sudden thought that it was colder even than Hoth.

"I'm just," a thumb jerked in the direction of his room as he sidled his way closer to it, "... I'm just gonna get a few changes of clothes. Don't let me interrupt you."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    "Ooh heavens no, I like the company, squeee."

Gradoona's beaky grin widened a little more, revealing her curly tongue as hot breath puffed above.

"Buuut I guess from the way you're shaking like a penguin outta water, you praabably don't find the chill quite as homey as I do."

A thought occurred to the herglic as she squatted into the deck recess to inspect the valve terminus with a pen lamp.

"Ooh now I feel awful about this inconvenience, sir. Doo ya have a place to rest your head for the night? Yaknoo, it's only right that you spell yourself in my quarters if you doon't. I mean, it's all-nighter territory for yours truly, so..."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

A quick search through his closet, and Kes pulled out the thick longcoat he had normally no need for. A deep color of indigo, it was nearly black. Major's bars still adorned the shoulders, and each carved, gold button was still polished. He shrugged it on, feeling its' weight settle on his shoulders.

"Pardon?"

Her words weren't exactly expected, and as he pulled a small duffel from the closet as well, went on before she could repeat herself.

"Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll be alright." A small change of clothes was packed inside, and he moved toward the fresher.

"I've stayed plenty of nights in worse places than an office, trust me."

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    His rejection of her offer was met by a somewhat inscrutable fwaaaa from her blowhole.

"Ooh alrighty then. Just tryin' to be neighborly."

A colossal din rang through the quarters as Gradoona beat on the junction terminus of the coolant piping with a wrench. The force was just enough to break the seal on the thread lock, which Gradoona then further loosened with a mighty turn of the wrench on the piping itself. The first quarter turn caused the Herglic to grunt and fweee, but the next few turns were easier by degrees, until the last bit of the offending pipe fell to the deck's undercarriage with a thud.

"Soo hey, while I'm down in the guts and all, would ya like a few creative improvements to your pad? The water hookup is down here. I mean, she dog-legs oover there to the tap and all, but yaknoo we could always pull out the sonics for an honest-to-goodness water bath. Heated, bubble jets, as fancy as you please!"

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

A small comb, his razor, and toothpaste and toothbrush were the last items to be thrown into his duffel before it was zipped shut.

Stepping from his room, Kes moved through the living area to stand a small ways behind the Herglic, surveying her work with a still-concerned air about him. Her offer was kind, but he had serious doubts that it would be a good idea to approve of such an extensive overhaul to his living arrangements at this time. Again he shook his head.

"It would probably not be a good idea right now, but your offer is kind, and I sincerely thank you, Lieutenant."

His features fell into his familiar smile then, and Kes reached out to give her a reassuring pat to a massive arm and an encouraging wink.

"Don't spend all night in here; I'd rather you get rest yourself and not run the risk of working tired."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast