Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Force Awakens Trailer

Somebody's already done a Lego version!!!!

http://youtu.be/qpfWrh1scZU

EDIT: Oh, and a gif I found on Tumblr:

Last edited by Rutabaga; Nov 30th, 2014 at 04:16:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga
    Somebody's already done a Lego version!!!!
    What the heck there are already three others. Maybe more than that by now.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    It's only a matter of time until we get a Minecraft version, too.

Edit: Looks like it was Andy Serkis we heard in the trailer.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-...wakens-trailer
    Last edited by Droo; Dec 1st, 2014 at 08:39:05 AM.

I'm liking the new trailer. Will be interesting to see how the new lightsaber works... got to be fairly dangerous to wave that thing around!
    When I heard that Disney were buying the SW franchise and releasing new films I was worried but once I heard JJA was leading the charge I was hopeful. After seeing this trailer I feel quite optimistic. The teaser gives very little away about what the film will actually be about but it wets the appetite and that is what teaser trailers are all about

Check it out, guys, there's already a special edition of Episode VII!

I like that the Millennium Falcon still doesn't have it's satellite dish.

Way to go not fixing the shit that you broke, Lando. What an asshole!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    I like that the Millennium Falcon still doesn't have it's satellite dish.

Way to go not fixing the shit that you broke, Lando. What an asshole!
    Look again Charley, it's squre now

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    Well yeah they have a low profile thing, I was just being snarky heh

Leave it to Colbert to artfully explain the new lightsaber.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/video...er-controversy

I didn't notice the new dish until I'd read about it. That garauntees us one thing; a new Falcon toy! Hopefully they'll take the BMF falcon from a few years ago and update the dish and add a few choice mods. Don't confuse this with the giant Falcon shell that just got released. That's pales in comparison to the BMF.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

Nice shout-out to Bill Corbett in that video.

I am really not fussed about the crosstrees. I actually love the sword-and-sorcery vibe they bring to the character - the Jedi need to become mystical and mysterious again after the prequels reduced them all to bureaucratic simpletons. It remains to be seen how those attachments will be used in combat. I expect that weapon will be wielded like a bastard sword, with huge, aggressive arcs to take advantage of its superior reach.

I have some suspicions about the significance of the title, and about John Boyega's role in the story... spoilered in case anyone wants to avoid such speculations, though I wouldn't be surprised if we've already covered this ground before.

One of the foremost questions on the casual fan's mind has to be, "Where do the new Jedi come from?" When Moff Tarkin smugly declared that Vader was the only remaining relic of the Jedi Order, he obviously wasn't right, but he wasn't far off. Obi-Wan and Yoda are the only other survivors, and Luke is very much set up as the last of a dying order. ROTJ promises a rebirth of the Jedi through Luke and Leia, and the EU took that idea and ran with it. But the average movie-goer doesn't know any stories about the New Jedi Order, and if we break into the story to find a wizened Luke presiding over a Jedi Temple with dozens of knights and padawans, I think we'll all feel like we've missed something. It's possible we'll see such a Jedi Order, and its origins will be related in flashbacks, but that will be very difficult to pull off without making the audience feel cheated out of a huge piece of the story.

It would be pretty dismal if Luke and Leia are still the only Force adepts after all these years. Perhaps they've passed their gifts on to their immediate children (or just Leia and Han's children if Luke never married) and tried to train them up in the Jedi way as best as they could. That means the only Jedi this galaxy has known for the last two generations consist of a single family - the family of three great heroes of the Rebellion, no less. They'd be celebrities whether they want it or not, treated on one hand like royals and on the other like an endangered species. Luke would most likely chafe at this spotlight and seek solitude so he can commune with the Force and find a new path for what remains of the Jedi.

Then comes the Awakening. In which dozens of people - possibly hundreds or thousands - scattered across the galaxy suddenly discover they have a connection with the Force. Most are confused and terrified, and the new Republic turns to Luke and Leia to make sense of the phenomenon. Luke reasons that the Force is moving to restore balance to the galaxy and sets out to gather these new adepts together and teach them the Jedi ways. But not all of the adepts are interested in the Light Side...

And not all of them are in the Republic, either. John Boyega appears to be separated from his squad, and he appears to be in quite a state of shock and confusion himself. Perhaps he's just awakened in spectacular fashion during a mission, and now finds himself marked as an enemy of the Empire, forced to seek refuge among the enemy himself...

So, yeah, I realize most of that is basically the plot of Legend of Korra Season 3, substituting Force adepts for Airbenders, but it seems to fit quite well! That said, I won't be surprised if I'm on the wrong track entirely.

I hear where you're coming from, Andew, but don't forget that Star Wars Rebels is part of this canon as well. The idea that there are other Jedi who survived the purge has already been introduced there, as is the idea that there are new people "awakening" with Force powers in that interim period.

I suppose that technically, Ezra in Star Wars Rebels was born before Order 66. Given that mystical stuff to do with midichlorians that Clone Wars gave us at the end of Season 6, it's possible that after the Skywalkers were born, that's when the Force and that whole mysterious midichlorian fountain thing with the Greek tragedy mask people "went to sleep", but if it did, what woke it up? Midichlorians / Force Sensitivity is something you are born with, not something that manifests at adulthood... so the Force must have been waking up for twenty-ish years (given the age that Boyega's character presumably is). Did the Force "wake up" when Anakin died in ROTJ? If so, why did it take thirty years for there to be a big event thingy to happen?

There's certainly potential answers to all of that... just don't forget that "Force sensitive since birth" is something you need to factor in.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Those are definitely valid points, and I'm not planning to be disappointed if I'm completely off-base. Primarily I'm considering the challenge of establishing the state of the galaxy after a thirty-odd-year gap. In discussing the trailer with my mom, who has seen the movies and nothing else, I learned that she thought Return of the Jedi was the end of the Empire. To anyone who's familiar with even a little bit of EU, it seems obvious that the Empire, while severely weakened, is still going to be a major player at this point in history, but the movies will need to catch the audience up on the conflict without assuming that they know anything beyond the first six movies.

I don't think that'll be difficult. Just show the conflict, and have some Republic character comment that with all the headway they've made, the remnants of the Empire still control half the galaxy.

By comparison, I think catching them up on the state of the Jedi will be trickier. By this point in the EU, there's a thriving order with its own temple and with Luke at the head. But as far as the average movie-goer knows, Luke and Leia are all that's left. How does the Force become a major player in the galaxy again? The title makes me think that Abrams has decided to make that question the centerpiece of this film. That may or may not take the shape of a weird "Force powers activate" phenomenon sweeping the galaxy, but I still like the idea of a Stormtrooper-turned-Jedi.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post

I didn't notice the new dish until I'd read about it. That garauntees us one thing; a new Falcon toy! Hopefully they'll take the BMF falcon from a few years ago and update the dish and add a few choice mods. Don't confuse this with the giant Falcon shell that just got released. That's pales in comparison to the BMF.
    I just came here to post that!

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Stormtroopers-turned-Jedi you say?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jedieb View Post

The fact NEEEERDS are making a big deal out of this and a black stormtrooper makes me glad I waste my time sucking at three sports. All I give a shit about is a movie that wont insult my intelligence.

The powers that be made a great (and what I always thought would be inevitable) decision by pretty much chucking most of the EU and making it Legend. This frees up JJ and Disney to worry about getting a good story going and not trying to accommodate 30 years of fiction by almost a 100 different contributors. Rebels and the Clone Wars cartoons are 'canon' and they're probably going to draw on elements of those. I'd be surprised if we don't see some characters from Rebels pop up somewhere. They may even go back and pick and choose a character or story idea from the EU Legends.

I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the spoilers I've read and hope they're dead wrong.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

The old EU apart from a very few selected bits needs to die a horrid death. That's by far the best thing about Ep7, it killed it.

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    Bahahaha!!! Ok now that's gold

TheHolo.Net Admin

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Christin
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: W4BSY Steam ID: ApexLupine
    It's a rumor now it seems, but this throws a huge wrench into a few things for myself, Charley, and others if it happens.

http://jkagear.com/star-warsthe-forc...oving-forward/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast