Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mutants Unite ....?

Dahlia Ericsson
    I will be around (though in a limited capacity) as will some of my alts.

EDIT: Alright...I think for the sake of the KISS principle, I'll keep it to just a couple of people. Dahlia will be around to run Treadstone, and I will also keep Lana, Gaia, and Riley around as well. My other alts will be available for things, I just won't actively try writing them.
    Last edited by Dahlia Ericsson; Oct 1st, 2014 at 03:31:08 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Interesting stuff. Not sure how much I will be able to be involved, but I like what I'm reading

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    And new ideas to add to this...?

oh what a tangled web I weave

Well, since the subject has come up in chat... why doesn't someone *coughhollycough* spill all that we've thought of so far?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Schrödinger's Mutant

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    I'm right behind you. Not anymore, ha ha ha!
    I don't really think I'll be contributing much. As I said in the chat, most if not all of José's stories will be about a boy with life changing powers proceeding to go about using them in the most boring, day to day, humdrum manner possible. Superhero? Nah, too much work, too little reward. He'd rather get high and teleport into the middle of the cheerleading squad's practice with a sheet tied around himself like a toga. Or use his powers to get the best tips for delivering pizza. He's not a teleporter, he's a normal kid who can teleport! Not very good for overarching mutant plots or battling evildoers.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

One of the things talked about was a town in upstate NY where Mutants and Mundanes live together openly and without fear, a sanctuary of sorts. Cullen's would be near (I think Westchester? I can't remember) and also the Big Apple.

Jose and his mom could certainly move there after the craziness in LA and start over?

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Schrödinger's Mutant

AKA
    Vince
    I'm right behind you. Not anymore, ha ha ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    One of the things talked about was a town in upstate NY where Mutants and Mundanes live together openly and without fear, a sanctuary of sorts. Cullen's would be near (I think Westchester? I can't remember) and also the Big Apple.

Jose and his mom could certainly move there after the craziness in LA and start over?
    Dude. So Cal, or New England? Duh. So Cal. Bikinis, no snow, and honeys errywhere, of all kinds!

Sure, 'cause your ma so thinks like that, José. Dork.

I miss New York. <3

Not sure who I will be contributing (my characters are mostly quantum-entangled with other people ), but I really like some the ideas that were getting tossed around in chat.

A mutant/mundane community seems like a really cool way of covering all the bases - teachers, students, normal people, regular lives, mutant-hating picketers, political attention, ominous plot arcs going on in the background - and I liked the idea of being set in "the present" rather than in a specific calendar year so we don't feel pressured by the passage of real world time.

Only thing with positioning stuff near Westchester is that Cullens School sorta... pulls a little of the focus away from the town. Rather than be in proximity to a special boarding school that trains superheroes and caters only to mutants (which doesn't sound like it would suit characters like José very well), it might make more sense to be elsewhere and have a co-ed high school where you've got mutant vs mundane tensions mixed in with your regular teenage cliques and bullying and what-not, and where everyone gets pissed off because the mutants keep cheating in gym class.
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Say like a culturally specific neighbourhood of any given city, like... Davie Village in Vancouver, Le Village in Montréal (to use 'gay villages' as an example), where there's a large percentage of the designated minority, but not exclusive to anyone else. From my experience, the school you go to by default is dictated by 'catchment', which is, well, you live in this area, so you go to this high school.

I hope I'm making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by José Luis Flores View Post

Dude. So Cal, or New England? Duh. So Cal. Bikinis, no snow, and honeys errywhere, of all kinds!
    José, it's not like you couldn't... you know, pop over there or something? Does that sound right? Does that work? Pop? Or is it more of a whoosh?

You know, WHOOSH WHOOSH *makes like she's flying*

Why José, am I embarrassing you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlia Winchester View Post
    Sure, 'cause your ma so thinks like that, José. Dork.

I miss New York. <3
    At least he showed good judgement in picking you as a friend dear. It gives me hope he might start showing more of that someday. Good judgement, that is. And I miss it too dear. Such a lively city! And you wouldn't think that the bigger cities would be all that different, but they are! New York is nothing like London, or Los Angeles, and certainly nothing like Mexico City.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilias Nytrau View Post
    Say like a culturally specific neighbourhood of any given city, like... Davie Village in Vancouver, Le Village in Montréal (to use 'gay villages' as an example), where there's a large percentage of the designated minority, but not exclusive to anyone else. From my experience, the school you go to by default is dictated by 'catchment', which is, well, you live in this area, so you go to this high school.

I hope I'm making sense?
    You are!

I understand how catchment areas work, yes.

Cullen's is different, though, being a private boarding school with a specific/select student base. If we have our little town/place in "Upstate New York" (ie. near Cullens), is it not gonna be a little weird that the mutant kids are going to the local high school, when there's a super fantastic awesome selective school right over there that is just... blatantly better?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

They could just...go to Cullen's and live at home? I dunno, just a thought. Or just say that Cullen's is nearish but they're obviously not next door. Cullen's is by Weschester or whatever the town is, I have this written down somewhere, and the community is a town or two away.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I seem to recall Cullen's being on the edge of a lake. I may have chat logs somewhere.

I'm not thinking about whether or not the mutant kids can go there... it's more that mundane kids can't. Westchester is a very safe environment for mutant kids, sure. But it doesn't give them (or the teachers) much opportunity in their day-to-day lives to interact with other kids their own age. If we're gonna go with a community where mutants and mundanes are going to live side by side, it seems a bit of a shame to have the mutant kids all be bused off to a swanky rich-kid school each day - not really much point having mundanes around to interact with, if for most of the day five days a week you aren't actually where the mundanes are.

There's a lot of scope for scandalous mutant-mundane romances, petty kids-being-kids stuff, mundane students who aren't respecting their mutant teachers properly, interactions between mutant and mundane members of staff, and a whole lot of potential meaty/juicy stuff that just... doesn't work if we bundle up the mutants and ship them off to the X-Men school.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Waiting on her social security payout since 2200 BCE

If anyone needs/wants an immortal history buff, let me know

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Cullen's campus would be safe for the mutant kids, in town maybe not as much.

edit: I remember where we were talking about Droo, Kingston NY (the smaller one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsto...n%29,_New_York

for being the nearby town, while the school is near the shore of the Ashokan Resevoir, as there's a boathouse and such on the property. These were just our thoughts from a year or so ago, so certainly up for debate.

I dunno where I got Westchester from, that's probably the comic place for the X mansion isn't it lol
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:28:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

If we're wanting to create a town where mutants and mundanes can live in harmony... what's the point, if it's not safe for kids?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I thought we were taking about the town that's near Cullen's being different from the town you guys are wanting to RP in. So it would make sense that people aren't attending Cullen's.

I'm really confused then, because this -

- makes it sound like the town we'd be roleplaying in would be near Cullens.

If the whole haven/sanctuary/Eureka town is different from that then fair enough, but that doesn't seem to be what you've said so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast