Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Reborn?

John Constantine
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I added the Crows to the gangs, hope I did it right.
    Looks good to me!

Though, I'm hardly the expert.

Ugh. Really, John? Can you not like... go outside to do that?

AKA
    Jace
    The new page format thingy for the wiki now works for DC characters, a la - Wally West.

*fanfare* *confetti* ...etc

Feel free to go ahead and set up your own pages, and pester me if you're not sure what your page should be called, what to put in which box, etc. If you don't want to, don't know how to, or just plain can't be bothered, make sure you let me know: I'm happy to do pages for people, if it means we end up with a wiki that isn't full of missing pages and gaps and what-not.

If you are going to make a page, please make sure that the name matches one of the accounts you have registered (so it's easy to find), and that you pick the most unique name you have, so that any "this name could mean several people" page names are free for disambiguation pages.

If you're not sure what you should be filling in, just guess... worst case scenario I will dress up as the wiki fairy and come fiddle with your business.

Supergirl
    I have no idea what I'm doing with wikis and stuff but can take a look tonight, see if I can work it out.

AKA
    Jace
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
    I have no idea what I'm doing with wikis and stuff but can take a look tonight, see if I can work it out.
    Figured I would make your life slightly easier. I've filled in the box on the right, and the timeline box at the bottom. All you need to do is -

a) hit Edit at the top and fill in the little texty parts with what it says to put there
    b) click where it says "File:Supergirl.jpg" and upload the picture you want to have

Pictures on character pages are 248px wide, and 320px high. I have no idea why that's the size we use, it just is.

Supergirl
    Ohh, thanks

Batman
    Given that this is a rebooting of the DC setting here on Fans, I just want to bring something up that is a big deal as far as DC goes, and it's something that was discussed briefly on AIM the other night - posting here for the benefit of those not present at the time.

The Justice League.

As this is a rebooting of the setting, I'd like to actually start with a situation where the Justice League is not yet established. For three reasons. Firstly, playing Batman, I'm going to be busy. There's going to be a lot going on in Gotham both in the day and night. Bruce has Wayne Enterprises to run, and Batman has asses to kick. There's a lot of content to be roleplayed just there by itself, and having Justice League stuff going on right off the bat is a bit much. Secondly, I think it would be more fun to actually co-operatively roleplay the formation of the Justice League. As this is our own take on the DC Universe, it makes sense to mould as much of it as we can to our own designs. I want it to be our Justice League, and building it brick by brick, together, over time seems like a more natural way to do it, rather than "Read this wall of text which explains what the deal is with Justice League in your setting, once you've read it, you're clued up enough to contribute meaningfully." Thirdly, I'd quite enjoy roleplaying the construction of the space station and/or Lunar base for the headquarters.

My idea is this: One immediate long-term goal of Wayne Enterprises will be commercial spaceflight with a view to branching out to nearby planetary bodies. That means research and testing. Mitch is playing Hal Jordan who will be working at WE as a test pilot which fits in nicely with this idea. Working up from high-atmo to sub-orbital and eventually actual spaceflight, this progression will naturally lead into the construction of stations in high Earth orbit and maybe on the surface of the moon. This will in turn lead to the discovery of some terrible truth regarding some sort of threat. I think I used Braniac as an example on the chat last night. Whatever, it would clearly be too much for conventional armed forces to handle, as well as being beyond the capabilities of any one hero. This threat would directly call for the formation of some sort of organisation equiped with the personnel and the technology to oppose it - Justice League.

Rather than Justice LEague being an elite club for only the cool kids, it would be open to anybody interested since it'll be formed by us roleplaying it out together.

Thoughts? Personally I think it could be a fun, cool story arc for people to get in on. It certainly doesn't stop anyone from playing specific heroes - Justice League can simply come later.

AKA
    Jace
    I'm not a fan of the Justice League being brand spanking new.

Everyone knows what the Justice League is. There doesn't need to be a big wall of text explaining it, because anyone who knows anything about DC gets the basic gist of what the Justice League is. That is a really useful narrative resource for us, particularly since we are (at the moment) focused on telling stories only in Gotham City. Saying that there is a Justice League lets players know in two words that there is a superhero community out there that is working together and cooperating: that makes it a lot easier to find excuses for why everyone is in Gotham. It lets prospective players know that "okay, the big global threats are being dealt with in the background", as opposed to us needing to have Darkseid show up and start smashing up downtown Gotham.

On a personal level, t makes playing Kid Flash much easier: a Justice League means that people in Gotham will actually know who the Flash is, rather than him being a Central City specific hero, and helps explain why Barry Allen is "too busy" to show up and help out Wally whenever he needs it. Not having a Justice League diminishes Green Arrow and Booster Gold somewhat too: if there's no Justice League, there's no reason for anyone to have even heard of Green Arrow outside of his home city; and writing Booster Gold as a media whore is much easier if there's a Justice League rolling their eyes at him for it. It probably makes writing Supergirl easier too: it gives her cousin "more important things" to be worrying out in the background to explain why he's not playing an active part in her life.

I don't think any of what you're trying to accomplish needs the Justice League to be new though.

Think of it in terms of the Avengers movies. Perhaps right now, the Justice League is in The Avengers mode. They teamed up to save the world from aliens, they've worked together to stop a few earthquakes, they've got a name because the media asked for one, but at the end of it all they go their separate ways. There's no base, no space station, no Hall of Justice in Washington, DC: they're just a group of heroes who happen to know each other, perhaps with some Samuel L Jackson style character who knows how to get in touch with them if he needs to. Super vague, super informal.

Then Bruce Wayne comes along, and does what Tony Stark did. He builds the headquarters, he builds the fancy jets, he establishes the communications networks, he starts recruiting people (from Gotham, since they're local) and sending them on missions. We still get to build the Justice League brick by brick and make it into whatever form we want/need to suit our story... but we also have the added benefit of being able to use "Justice League" as a two-word explanation to hand wave away any backstory problems.

Best of both worlds?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I don't really have a dog in the fight because Babs isn't a superhero, but I think it's not far fetched to say that in the Internet age that people have heard of all the various super heroes even if they're not expecting them to be in Gotham.

Also I lean toward preferring building the JLA since my characters are just starting out on their journey, and I know Green Lantern is a brand new hero too.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Jace
    Possibly, but that feels like an "excuse" rather than actual good story logic to me.

I guess what's making me uneasy is that we've suddenly gone from having an established superhero world to suddenly telling an origin story for almost everyone. We seemed to all be on the same page about the holes being square, and so that's why I have made my characters the shape that I have. If I now have to make them fit into round holes, I'm going to have to cut off the corners and lose a lot of what the characters are. Had I known from the start that there would be no Justice League, I would have written completely different versions of the characters. And we're talking "everyone knows Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow" levels of completely different, not just minor tweaks that I can easily retcon in.

Don't want to bore everyone with the specifics... but without the Justice League, Wally and Ollie basically end up seeming like illogical douchebags, if you place them under any degree of scrutiny, and that is a somewhat disheartening position to find myself in.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I think in the middle is the common ground we can all agree with. A proto-JLA, or the beginnings of OUR version of the JLA (since we don't have all the JLA characters and I don't think we want to have our hands tied behind our backs in that regard) - so that would be the characters mentioned so far in Flash, Green Arrow, Superman?, and Batman. Batman would bring in Green Lantern through Hal working with him, and they can do the moonbase creation stuff I heard you guys wanted to do.

Et cetera?

edit: And of course the idea is the JLA takes care of stuff going on so we can play how we want in Gotham. So we aren't RPing Justice League events, persay, we are just doing what we want.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I am with Jace on this. I have already created my character around the fact that there is an established world of superheroes out there. And I really like this character that has taken shape in my head. To go back on that now would be a bit crap, to be honest.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well, like I said, it doesn't effect my characters either way, I just would like to help facilitate a good writing enviroment! The answer is usually somewhere in the middle where there's an established world of superheroes but still room to do some of the big things others might want to do (but also so we don't HAVE to RP any of the big stuff).

Supergirl
    This doesn't really impact me; there's still an established group of superheroes out there, whether or not they're working under the name 'Justice League'. So I'll let the people with the characters involved decide

I'm not sure why not having a Justice League would massively impact how long some superheroes have been active, though? Maybe they just never got together before? Or never slapped an official name on it when they did?

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Superman's Potluck Dinners and World Saving Team a go go go

How about we have it be some sort of super casual Superman and his super-friends thing, and have "Justice League" be the name that the media has given them? They're like the Justice Society from the old days, but they're in a "league of their own", or something cheesy like that.

We still get the advantages of there having been a Justice League, both in terms of characters having worked together and also in terms of public awareness, but it's not a formal "team" per se. Heck, it's probably Superman's fault: he's probably being all hippie and casual about it, which is why Batman decides that enough is enough, and takes it upon himself to turn Team Casual into everything Peter already suggested.

Perhaps that marks the transition from being the "Justice League" to being the "Justice League of America"? In the current comics, the Justice League is the team established by Superman/Batman/etc, whereas the Justice League of America is/was the version endorsed by the United States government. If Batman is transforming us from something informal to something official, perhaps adding the "of America" is part and parcel of that... a more formal name for a more formal team?
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Supergirl
    Not a bad idea. I don't know how people want to play it though, so I'll leave it to you guys to sort .

Also, I hate the 'of America' thing. I mean, there's no 'Justice League of France', is there? Are they just like "Darkseid is attacking... oh, no, it's cool, it's Paris, don't have to worry."

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer Calloway Sharr's Avatar
    AKA
    Mitch
    There was a Justice League Europe, actually. It was hilarious. Not as hilarious as Justice League Antarctica, though, which was captained by G'nort.

There's also the Justice League International, which was led by Booster Gold and featured as many non-Americans as it could get it's hands on, for UN-related publicity reasons. Whole lot of B-list heroes.

The "of America" is more about country of origin, government oversight, etc. The Justice League is American in the same way that the Avengers and SHIELD are American. Or, hell, in the same way that the US military and the CIA are American. Doesn't in any way impact where they can go, what countries they can fight in, etc... it's just an indicator of who is responsible for holding them accountable.

If the America thing is really an issue for people though... we could always echo the Batman Incorporated thing from the comics, and treat the Justice League as a business or a franchise. Justice League Incorporated or something.

Slight tangent.

Booster Gold is from the 25th Century, and he usually has some sort of vague awareness of history. He doesn't know anything secret: just the stuff that an employee at a superhero museum 400 years in the future might know. He might know who Green Arrow is, because Oliver Queen usually makes his identity public at some point. He might know that Green Lantern is "the first guy, not the black guy". That sort of thing.

However, we're in a bit of an alternate universe where stuff is different. From Booster's perspective: is history "correct", or is it like The Flash, and he comes from a future where things are a little bit different? For example, is the fact that Barbara Gordon was never Batgirl also true for his future, or is he going to come back and be disappointed about not getting to meet the redhead Batgirl because "she's the hot one"? If Lex Luthor were to run for President, would Booster Gold be aware that it's probably a bad idea? That sort of thing.

The Flash-style option feels like it has more story potential, particularly since it opens up the possibility for Booster's knowledge about the past to be "wrong" because of any wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff (which is the less OP option), but it's not something I feel comfortable deciding on my own and forcing everyone else to go along with.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast