What if...

When the original X-Men were captive on Krakoa, they some how escaped and arrived at Xavier's School to find the Professor had been murdered in their absence. Without the Professor to lead them, the X-Men decide continue his fight for the dream of peaceful co-existance between mutant and human on their own. With each X-Man (and woman) taking duties as teachers at the now public Charles Xavier School for Mutants They quickly discover after a coordinated Sentinel Attack around the world that the world needs a team of X-Men to defend human and mutant from those seeking to destroy peaceful co-existance between man and mutant. The former team is divided, some wish to resume activities of being superheroes, others wish to continue to operate the school. No solution seems to prevent itself. Whilst archiving the Professor's documents and personal effects, Hank McCoy discovers several documents providing for All New, All Different X-Men should something have incapacitated the original team. With the blessing of Scott Summers, Beast, Havok, Polaris and Angel begin assembling the X-Men.

While puzzled over the provision for two additional X-Men teams, Beast takes the initiative to create one unified international team consisting of Vulcan, Sway, Storm, Thunderbird, Nightcrawler, Darwin, Sunfire and Banshee.

First Story arc
With a new Dawn rising for human-mutant relations, Many nations seek to contribute to the International X-Men, The USSR magnanimously offers to allow government operative Darkstar to join the X-Men, however the X-Men refuse, preferring to allow a peasant farm hand with Steel skin to join their fold. While Moscow is apprehensive, they allow the man codenamed Colossus to participate on a temporary basis with the X-Men. Canada too wishes to contribute to the international team of mutants, offering at first any hero from the government team Alpha Flight, The X-Men lean towards accepting the siblings Northstar and Aurora, but the situation runs awry when a Canadian mutant instigates hostilities with the secret program Weapon X.

Upon learning of a mutant in need, The All New, All Different X-Men lead the charge into the Canadian wilderness to aid the former Weapon X, but what they find there shocks them and threatens to deal a terrible blow to human-mutant relations.

What I'm proposing is a roleplay where myself and a few interested volunteers write groups of characters as the story progresses. The story is set within the Marvel universe we've known for the past 30 years or so. The only events to be "re-written are those from Uncanny X-Men and it's spin offs (X-Factor, X-Men, New Mutants and the various solo series) the story will follow the events of the X-Men comic books but will re-write them along the lines of the scenario described above. For instance, when the Shi'ar made contact with the X-Men in what would be issue 97 of X-Men released in February of 1976, that would be the approximate time in which our little fictional X-Universe would write that in. So the story will roughly follow events that the XS-Men have in during the past 30 years or so.

What I need are writing volunteers to take on a group of characters and be responsible for them as the story progresses. I, myself will take a group and serve as a moderator of sorts to lead the story along. I will list out available characters below for volunteers to choose from as well as the characters that I will be writing myself.

Lead group (written by "Rayna Eclipse")
Beast
Angel
Havok
Polaris
Sway
Thunderbird

Available characters:
Storm
Colossus
Nightcrawler
Banshee
Sunfire
Vulcan
Darwin
Wolverine

Non-playable characters (though these characters might become available as time goes on):
Cyclops
Jean Grey/Phoenix/Marvel Girl
Iceman

Other more recent additions to the X-Men, such as Gambit and Rogue will become writable in the future and active writers will have the option of picking them up as the story progresses.

If you'd like to participate in this idea, please post here with your top five choices (in order) of characters you'd like to write. I imagine Wolverine is going to be a hot choice, so most likely he will be assigned at random to interested writers, or in a worst case scenario, I'll just write him myself.

I've had such a great time writing on this site back when it was SW exclusive, and while entertaining this what if while sunning myself today, I thought it would be a really fun chance to re-write X-history on a site that I miss quite a bit.

You all have your instructions, I hope to hear from my fellow X-fans!