Thread: Disney dumps Expanded Universe; sequels to have new plot; old EU relabeled 'Legends'

Disney dumps Expanded Universe; sequels to have new plot; old EU relabeled 'Legends'

Read all about it:

http://starwars.com/news/the-legenda...-new-page.html

A video is also provided in the above link which gives a bit more detail (I believe - I haven't watched it yet).

TL;DR version:

* All post-ROTJ publications are now no longer 'canon' - to be relabeled 'Legends'.
    * Episodes VII - IX will now have it's own unique plotline and will not be beholden to what has previously been established in books, comics, RPGs etc.
    * Lucasfilm/Disney may still draw upon old material for reference/ideas if it so wishes.
    * This impacts the books, comics, RPGs, computer games etc - the films, The Clone Wars TV series and the upcoming Rebels series are all still considered 'canon'.

***NOTE: the term 'post-ROTJ' is still being hotly debated - originally it was assumed it meant chronologically after ROTJ (ie. Knights of the Old Republic series etc will still be considered canon) however some comments on Twitter from TPTB have indicated that actually mean by publication (ie. everything post 1983).

In other words:
    * Han and Leia haven't had any kids yet.
    * Chewie is still alive.
    * Thrawn doesn't exist.
    * Boba Fett still died in the Sarlaac pit.
    * Exar Kun is still stuck in his pyramid (if indeed he ever existed at all - see note above).

What do you all think?

Can't say I'm surprised - there's just way to much contradicting stuff in the EU already for Disney to try and make sense of without upsetting somebody, and this will give them a clean slate (plus allow them to steal any ideas they may like).

For me personally I have (most) of the Bantam novels (never got into the Del Rey stuff with NJO etc) and half of that was already contradicted by the Prequels anyway so I'm not too bothered.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

As soon as Lucasfilm was sold to Disney and the new trilogy was announced, this decision was inevitable.

Some people will be (and are) up in arms about this (just look at TheForce.net). I honestly don't care much at this point. I enjoyed parts of the EU content. Most of it was terrible. Whether or not it is considered cannon doesn't change if I enjoyed it or not.

I'd mentioned previously that my entire reaction to the new films announcement could be summed up with a shoulder shrug. That's more or less how I feel about this as well.

I'm okay with this. It was going to be a pain in the ass to navigate the minefield of existing eu to make these films, and with the exception of Bakura and the thrawn trilogy, the eu post-ROTJ is stunningly bad, so go for it!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I am especially happy that all the stuff about the Mandalorians is thrown out completely. Somehow that gives me immense satisfaction.

edit: Also, that means that everything we write is just as canon as the published books

oh what a tangled web I weave

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    I would think that anyone sane would be in favor of this.

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    I prefer this approach over the one we had before: Let's just do the things how we like and retcon it later.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

So, why does everyone keep calling me Mr. Blonde?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EquableJarl0 PSN ID: TXViking43
    There was stuff I really enjoyed in the EU (and stuff I hated), but it makes sense to do this.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

Given the EU is mostly a huge steaming turd..... this is a properly rational decision and one to approve of.