Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerdmas Plots: Alliance Senate & Government

Leeadra Longstar
    Yes. Yes you are.

Something else for your radar, Jenny - the planet Thule up in Q-5 lists Arkanians as one of it's immigrated species... as well as Ubese and Chiss, weirdly enough. It was the location of some dark side shenanigans back in the day, and it's right on the edge of the "Sith Worlds" - ie. Korriban, Dromund Kaas; the heartlands of the Sith Empire from KOTOR, SWTOR, etc.

Interacting with Arkanians from their homeworld might be tricky, but the ones on Thule might fit for that thing...
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Karagane Steam ID: Davendude
    Thule also has a massive Sith Temple of old dominating it's capital city, and has kickass weather patterns (constant lightning storms). It's easily one of my favorite SW Planets.

Question Mark?

Down at the bottom of the map (map thread), there's a patch of gold sectors that look kinda like a question mark. The area probably needs a snazzier name, but it's kind of a big deal because those six sectors are absolutely rammed with alien species, and humans are very much the minority.

The Sullustans and the Sluissi are the most prominent and both have Senators already; as do the Bith and Ithorians. However, there's still potentially H'nemthe, Xamster, Tritonite, Ortolan, Houk, Hoojib, and Celegian Senators or Representatives, and possibly a Duros or Gran and one or two Humans to represent the couple of non-alien worlds in the area.

Charley, Sarah, Dee, and I have tossed around the idea of turning the Question Mark into a little pro-alien political powerhouse: a tight-knit group of non-humans looking out for each other, and trying to make sure that the Alliance doesn't resort to space racism. We'll probably see the Sullustans and SoroSuub spreading out and being all industrious; we might see the Sluissi and Bith and some of the other more tech savvy races working together to invent cool stuff; there might be cultural exchanges, special events, and all sorts of good stuff.

Basically... if you're thinking about an alien Senator, check out these races and see if you want to come play in our sandbox.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

I'll make a Celegian Senator. Floating brain reminds me of the Hanar from Mass Effect.

That's what they reminded me of as well!

Also, both Sarah and I have decided to write our Ithorians like Elcor.

"Helpfully: prefacing statements with an emotion makes it easier to interact with species who are used to interpreting facial expressions."

Rondoo
    I wish only to float in the oceans of my people... to be called to a higher purpose requires the sacrifice of self for the good of all

Not sure if anyone outside the USA (or inside for that matter) is familiar with MUNA (Model United Nations Assembly) but would senatorial folks be interested in having RP threads start that are basically open sessions of the senate, where the chair (Salem) would recognize a Senator to bring forth a bill that could be introduced, then debated, and then voted on? The sheer act of discussing pet projects and then dissecting them, arguing them, and attempting to reach compromise might give our characters a body of work to build on the positions they will take, and who their friends and enemies might be.

It might be a fun way to hit the ground running on the politics in an open venue, rather than just a few things here and there where back-channel deals are made.

TheHolo.Net Poster

We'll settle this the old navy way; The first guy to die, LOSES!

AKA
    Jace
    Sorta the Star Wars equivalent of those scenes in Game of Thrones or what-not, where there's a queue of people lining up to bring their grievances and/or ideas before the Lord/King/etc, essentially?

I could see that working. It's worth bearing in mind that Salem is the Minister of State (ie. foreign affairs) though. It might make more sense if it's Celeste Starborn, the Speaker of the House who is the chair for that sort of thing: that's sorta what she's there for, and if it's an issue she's not qualified to comment on personally she can bounce it over to the appropriate Ministers.

Salem isn't the Emperor quite yet.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    Not sure if anyone outside the USA (or inside for that matter) is familiar with MUNA (Model United Nations Assembly) but would senatorial folks be interested in having RP threads start that are basically open sessions of the senate, where the chair (Salem) would recognize a Senator to bring forth a bill that could be introduced, then debated, and then voted on? The sheer act of discussing pet projects and then dissecting them, arguing them, and attempting to reach compromise might give our characters a body of work to build on the positions they will take, and who their friends and enemies might be.

It might be a fun way to hit the ground running on the politics in an open venue, rather than just a few things here and there where back-channel deals are made.
    It's a good way to do senate type stuff, look up some of the old Senate threads pre-reset if you want to see how we used to handle it.

oh what a tangled web I weave

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A larrrge penjisss jisss alwajysss welcome!

AKA
    Charley
    Bothawui, or one of her many villas in the Carshoulis Cluster
    I don't even remember DOING senate threads pre-reset...interesting!

And yeah sorry oops...Celeste Starborn...right

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Geoffrey
    Gamer IDs

I've never done any Senate related things so I might have to look up those threads. I wouldn't even know where to start looking so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Search for Thareena, she was in all of them just about

Eusphyra Blochii
    Respectful pride: I look forward to representing the interests of my people. For though we may be different, I believe we will all work toward the comment better of our galaxy.

Sarcastically: Even if some of you are quite strange looking.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    An jIthorrjian, ssplendjid. Let uss hope he doess not fjiljibussterr. jI sshall have to sstupjifjy mjysself on pai'leeha to esscape the doldrrum.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Some additions/amendments:

Abre Vorasq - Senator for Umbara (Umbaran)
    Arkanon Astore - Ambassador for Thule (Arkanian)
    Elaine Alastor - Senator for Hapes (Human)
    Delphnye Sarpin - Senator for Vergill (Human)

I would like to do something with the Jensaarai. The short version is that they're lawful neutral Force-using Paladins who revere light side and dark side teachings equally. The Jedi tried to wipe them out during the Clone Wars out of oh shit Sith paranoia, so to some extent the Jensaarai feel they have been religiously persecuted... though in the EU they do eventually reconcile with and ally with the New Jedi Order. Not only are they Grey Jedi, they have a bit of a "knightly virtues" vibe to them; two things I would be very interested in writing about.

If it's okay with people, I'd like to introduce the Jensaarai leader (Saarai-kaar) as a sort of ambassador, since their homeworld is now inside Alliance space. Maybe we can court them as an "alternative" to the Jedi (since the Jedi want alone time right now)? Maybe Salem can use them to drive a wedge between the Alliance and the Jedi from the religious persecution angle? Maybe certain Force users will want to meet / study with / etc the Jensaarai because of their different philosophy?

Either way... I want a Grey Jedi with badass armour.

Edit:

Names added to the list, Jenny!
    Last edited by Captain Untouchable; Jan 26th, 2014 at 09:12:31 AM.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    Wasn't there a thing about grey Jedi being a no-no before? Or was that from a bygone era when we had to worry about godmoding kids going hog wild? I'm not super comfortable with the concept just because it seems like it flies in the face of everything we know about the force, but I guess with Vaapad being an issue of canon and our writers not sucking, I'd be okay with the camel's nose under the tent.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I think we spoke about this yesterday (?) but at least publicly, Salem is going to be very wary of a group that not only practices the Force but is comfortable using the Dark Side.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Charley
    There's that, too. If we're uneasy about the Jedi themselves, these guys would be pretty unpalatable!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast