Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: MLB Baseball Playoffs

There just aren't any big name pitchers out there. Certainly nothing of Schilling's caliber. Even if they go after Randy Johnson, it's just another big contract, free agent, aging superstar. Who knows what he's got left.

Isn't Zito a Free Agent? The best free Agent picture is Pavano from Florida but he has said he refuses to go to New York. He would like to play for Boston (he is from there) but I think they would only sign him if they don't resign Pedro or Lowe.

Both those guys have free agent bust written all over them. I don't feel good about either one of them.

Pavano is a really good picture, IMO. Zito is not a FA although Oakland might unload his contract. I guess a lot depends on what Pedro and Lowe do. If they resign with Boston kinds of weakens the field.

jjwr
    I keep reading that the Sox are going to go after Pavano and probably let Lowe go.

As for the A's pitchers, a few people have said that Oakland will probably dangle all 3 of their big 3 and see what they get for a offer and trade one of them.

That makes sense for Oakland. Honestly I take Pavano over Lowe. Lowe can be a head case he is very irratic. If one bad thing goes wrong in a game he gets lite up like a christmas tree. I think they will try to resign Pedro. Although, I hate to say it think he might be better off finishing his career on the West coast like the Dodgers, but he still might stay in boston.

JMK
    Pavano has finally blossomed in to the pitcher that the Expos hoped he would be when we traded Pedro for him back in '97. Nice to see our GM wasn't wrong about him.

Holy crap, how many former Expos are now world beaters, 58? You poor bastard.

JMK
    I'm very used to it now. Isn't that they way it's supposed to go in baseball?

JMK
    Has anyone been paying attention to the Washington move?

This has all the makings of another patented Bud Selig disaster.

MLB wanted Washington to build them a stadium, which they apparently were sure they were going to get, now it seems it's less than sure that a publicly funded stadium will be built.
    I hope this blows up in their face.

Vote on Expos ball park for Washington delayed again

posted November 9 @ 18:56, EST

WASHINGTON (AP) - The District of Columbia Council delayed a vote on funding a new ball park for the Expos, with council chair Linda Cropp proposing another new plan Tuesday.

Last week, Cropp said the new ball park should be adjacent to RFK Stadium rather than at the site south of the U.S. Capitol called for in the agreement Washington signed with the Expos in September. That original deal called for $435 million US to be spent on site acquisition, a new ball park and refurbishing RFK Stadium as a temporary home for the team for the next three seasons.

On Tuesday, Cropp proposed that the ball park remain at the site specified in the agreement, but said the city should pay $150 million and that a private entity be responsible for $350 million.

She promised a vote in two weeks on both the plan in the agreement and her proposal.

"I don't want to slow them down," Cropp said. "If we could save businesses and taxpayers $350 million, it is extremely valuable to take this two-week period "

Mayor Anthony A. Williams called the delay a setback but said he will push for enactment of the original plan, which requires approval from a majority of the council's 13 members.

"I believe the reason we're not having the vote today is because we have the votes," Williams said.

Under Williams' proposal, the district would pay about $11 million per year to finance $550 million in revenue bonds. Spokesman Chris Bender said that money would come from a gross receipts tax - not the general fund used for areas such as schools and libraries. Companies near the stadium subject to gross receipt taxes would pay $4 million a year.

Williams and Bill Hall, the baseball committee chairman of the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission, said they are open to offers to blend the financing with a private company, but it would have to be a better deal for taxpayers than what's on the table now.

"My overriding interest is that it gets done in a way that's best for the city and gets done in a way that (upholds) our agreement," Hall said.

The Expos' agreement with Washington requires funding to be approved by Dec. 31. In addition, baseball owners must approve the move and baseball must defeat an attempt by the Expos' former limited partners to gain an injunction blocking a relocation. A hearing is scheduled for Dec. 6 in federal court in Miami.

Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
    MLB not returning phone calls? No way!

Well the delay is over where to build it from what I have read. I think it will get through besides they will be playing in RFK at least and in MLB's opinion that is probably the best possible place they could go. Also I read they are going to be call the Nationals. There was a fan vote on it and although the Senators won (they don't want to go back to that name) they are going with the Nationals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1923385

Bonds wins his record 7th MVP! To honor his historic accomplishment, MLB presented Bonds with a special MVP trophy; A GOLDEN SYRINGE!!!! Way to go Barry!

JMK
    Congrats to Balco Barry!

Still, you've got to admit it, 7 MVP awards is just stupid, and 232 walks in a season is just ridiculous. If pitchers would just pitch to the guy he could have added at least another 15-20 HR's to his 45.

I don't think he deserved it. The Giants didn't make the playoffs. I think Beltre for the Dodgers should have got it.

JMK
    I'm not a big fan of Barry's, but I can't argue with his selection. Nobody in baseball in the past 30 years has had the effect he has on a game. I think Beltre didn't get it because he gets support from guys like Green, Bradley, Finley (though not the whole year). Barry does it almost exclusively alone. That's why he got it IMO.

JMK
    A pretty good season for former Expos:
    Guerrero just won the MVP
    Cabrera wins the WS
    Pavano has a career year
    Walker gets to the WS

On the other hand, Vasquez got rocked in Yankee pinstripes, but I can deal with that.

Originally posted by Jedieb
    Bonds wins his record 7th MVP! To honor his historic accomplishment, MLB presented Bonds with a special MVP trophy; A GOLDEN SYRINGE!!!! Way to go Barry!
    LOL

jjwr
    I can see Vlad for the MVP but Sheffield 2nd? Yeah cause there wasn't anyone else good on that roster...

No clue why Shettfield came in second. I think Ortiz took votes away from Manny that could be why.

JMK
    That's probably exactly what happened. Ortiz took enough votes away from Manny by being in the same market. Sheffield seems to be as good a runner up as anyone. Both the Yanks and Sox are stacked, so I don't see the problem. Sheffield was great all year long, but this is all moot because Guerrero was so far in front that it doesn't even matter.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324