Thread: DVD movies you would like others to see!!

foxdvd

DVD movies you would like others to see!!

I just wanted to start this thread. I am always looking for movies I might have missed, but are loved by others. Try to think of movies that over half of the people here probably have not seen. Something along the lines of "Rififi" or "M" would be good choices. Also, only movies on DVD and available to buy.

The First movie I want to talk about is the brilliant Dario Argento movie, “Deep Red.” Dario Argento is an Italian director, best known for his horror movies. While his films have huge cult followings, he still has not received the attention I feel he deserves.

Deep Red, among many Dario fans, is considered his best work, and I agree. It came out in 1975, and was the inspiration for movies like Halloween, which borrows many of the story elements, tension building scenes, and even music score. When you first here the rock group “Goblins” 70ish score begin, you will understand what I am talking about.

The story starts with a woman who is a master of telepathy, showing off her skill in an auditorium, picking up the evil thoughts of a killer. She freaks out, points to the killer, and says something along the lines of “You have killed, and will kill again.” She later is killed, and a witness to the crime is soon tied up in a mystery of who the killer is, while trying to stay alive himself.

Deep Red is a masterpiece in every sense of the word but one. Some of the actors leave a little to be desired, but still are able to step above the typical acting in a horror movie. The movie is brilliantly written and of course there is the direction. Dario has been inspired by the master, Hitchcock, and his camera floats about as if it was a person spying on the action. The only director working today, who has his flair with the camera is Brian De Palma, but Dario surpasses him, and even his inspiration, Hitchcock. The movie is dark, tension filled, and just plain brilliant.

The DVD is an easy purchase. You can find it for 16 bucks at bestprices.com. One side note, though the DVD has both the English and Italian language, I have to recommend the Italian track. I always prefer the original language, but anyone familiar with Italian movies know they loved to import English speaking actors for most of the main parts, and it is obvious that is what they are speaking in the movie, while the supporting cast speaks Italian. So why the Italian track over the English? Well the movie is missing 40 minutes or so of the English track, and during those parts, it switches back to Italian. These transitions happen mid sentence, over and over again, and will drive you crazy. It is best to just listen to it in Italian, and in truth, the Italian voice work is better then the English track anyway.

I highly recommend this movie, as it is probably my favorite horror movie of all time, surpassing movies like The Exorcist, Psycho or the sci-fi side of horror like Alien/Aliens.

A+

AUSTIN 1138

Deep Red is a great movie! Its no Halloween but it has its moments

foxdvd

LOL..no movie is a good as Halloween to you dude..

Austin you are one of the few that find Dario's other works, like Tenebre to be better then Deep Red right?

AUSTIN 1138

Tenebre had some great images!

I think Deep Red might have been more of a complex movie. I may enjoy it more upon futher viewings.

foxdvd

What about you Austin...any movies you think others should see?

AUSTIN 1138

Forbidden Planet!!!!

Its one of the better movies I have seen in a long time! If you love Star Trek you will love this movie.

The special effects really surprised me, but the story and ideas make this movie special...

Also the 1979 version of Nosferatu is a visual masterpiece. Its very moody and creepy. The perfect companion to the original nosferatu.

ReaperFett

Mystery Men
    A Better Tommorow
    Hard Boiled
    The Killer
    The Way of the Gun
    The Corrupter

DaBoSsNaStY

other movies that don't suck, and they have to be A+ .... I would have to say this is my short list....
    Blue Velvet
    Lost Highway
    and everyone should watch
    Seven Samurai

Darth23

Knightriders
    Almost Famous
    Altered States
    Dark Star (not sure it that one is on dvd)
    Two Hands

foxdvd

lol

Forbidden Planet - One of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Well acted, great story, and special effects that hold up extremely well. I agree with Austin, a must see. A

Nosferatu 1979 - Anyone who loves vampire movies should watch it. It is very dreamy and well paced. Not fast and over edited like most vampire movies, and with a little patience it is extremely rewarding. Even more fun if you watch it after the 1922 original, which is also on DVD. A-

Mystery Men - I hate to disagree with any movie posted in this list, but I did not like this much. It was enjoyable for sure, but it tried to hard. C+

A Better Tomorrow - One of the most important movies in Hong Kong history. It revolutionized action in ever sense of the word. While it does not hold up as well as John Woo’s later works, such as the Killer, it is still worth seeing. B+

Hard Boiled – If there was every a pure action movie, one that could stand up on just its action, this is it. It is not as well put together a movie like Bullet in the Head, or the Killer, but it does have the greatest gun choreography I have ever seen. B+

The Killer- One of my top ten movies of all time. I real masterpiece in EVERY sense of the word. The action is well spoken of; but overlooked sometimes is the brilliant acting by the great Chow Yun Fat, and his interaction with the story. A+

The Way of the Gun – Average movie, with surprisingly well filmed action. Not great by any means, but still watch able for sure. B-

The Corrupter – I liked this much more then the critics. Chow started to grasp the English language more, and there are a few twists that are well hidden. The action was dry, except for the decent chase scene, but still worth a go. B

Blue Velvet – Very Good. Very VERY good. Creeping, moody, and just plain enchanting, David Lynch has only surpassed this once. A-

Lost Highway – Ok, well it is cool when you are stoned. D-

Seven Samurai – Another one of my top ten movies of all time. One of the most important movies in the history of cinema. A+

Knightriders – It is an interesting concept, that does not work 100 percent, but is still enjoyable. Would have been better if zombies had taken over the troupe. B

Almost Famous – well not sure if this is a movie few have seen, but it was the fourth or fifth best movie from last year, and when it is over, you wish it would continue. A-

Altered States – I think you can get this real cheap on DVD, and it is a good decent movie. Ugh, I am getting tired of typing, so my reviews are getting shorter. LOL. B

Dark Star – HAHA! YES! A very dumb movie that is good because of that, and because the filmmakers knew it. DEFINITLY a movie people should watch. You will laugh, and be amazed at John Carpenter’s work here. It is on DVD. B (though for entertainment value alone, it gets and A)

Two Hands- Well a movie I have not seen. What is it about? I could not find it on DVD at any online store, but if it is good, I might try to track down a used laserdisc.

Sith Lord II

Re: lol

The Big Blue, Trainspotting.

Darth23

Re: lol

U have to get Two Hands in Australia.

Thanx for rating everyone's choices, dood.

foxdvd

hmm

Two Hands...what sort of movie is it? I can import the DVD, or VCD prob...

Darth23

Re: hmm

It's been described as the Lock Stock and Two Smokign Barrels of Australia.

It isn't QUITE as violent. I saw it on the Sundance Channel - I watched it because it had the guy from 10 Things I Hate about you (which I liked). It has kind of a supernatural angle to it - that isn't really explored that much.

It also has one of the most unexpectedly hilarious scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

Plus I like the music.