Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Million Dollar Movies

CMJ

100 Million Dollar Movies

Last year Darth23 had a thread where he kept count of all of the 100M movies. Last year 21 movies hit that mark. So far this year we have 6. These were as of Sunday.

1. Mission Impossible II - 204.0 M
    2. Gladiator - 174 M
    3. Dinosaur - 131.9 M
    4. Erin Brokovich - 124.9 M
    5. Big Momma's House - 103.6 M
    6. The Perfect Storm - 100.2 M

These numbers will be updated weekely...biweekly or whenever I feel up to it...

Jedi Master Kyle

i think we'll be able to add x-men to that list right quick!

ReaperFett

Highlander: Endgame will be up there too, even if I have to rob $100million to get it there!

Darth23

CMJ: Or whenever there's a new 100 million dollar flim. (some of those 90-somethings in the dollar theaters take a LONG time).

Cool list, btw, thanx.

ReaperFett

this from TF.N:

The predictability and lack of impulse ticket-buying has created a ""glass ceiling at $25 million on opening weekends,'' said Jack Foley, distribution chief at USA Films. ""That's a high number, no doubt about it. But the lack of excitement also means no durability for these pictures.''

nice to see distribution films has employed the thief from Out of Sight..

BristerM

What does everyone think about The Legend of Bagger Vance? Will that have enough steam to reach $100M? It's a Will Smith-Matt Damon movie, but it's being released in October so obviously it's a more "serious" film that the studio wants to win Oscars with. This is a tough call. The trailer makes it look almost like a chick flick/human interest story. Basically Will Smith plays a black golf caddie in the South in the 1930's. He knows a lot about the game of golf, and helps Matt Damon, a budding ameteur golfer, become a champion. (or something like that) I probably won't be seeing it, but I'm sure lots of women will like this one. Pics like this open moderately and decline slowly. I'd expect an opening similar to Three Kings last year...around $16M. If it's good, a $100M+ finish could be in store. If it's bad, $60M tops.

No offense guys, but Highlander Endgame probably won't make it. Remember Universal Soldier: The Return, starring Jean Claude Van Damme? $4.7M open August 13th (I think), $10M finish. Pathetic. Endgame will do better than that, but still, probably not $100M+.

ReaperFett

how much did Three Kings make total?

Oh yeah, The Klumps and Little Nicky will make $100million

IndianaJones

Great Thread!!!!

jjwr

I don't think Endgame will make 100 Million, Highlander movies usually do much better in rental.

Klumps I'm not sure about, will have to see how it goes. I think Little Nicky is a lock for $100 Million

Jedi Master Kyle

I'll say the Klumps come close to 100 million. if they pass it, it won't be by all that much. obviously it depends on how fresh and funny it is....

Darth23

Three Kings did not make it into the 100 million dollar club. I think it was in the 70-80 something range. The next pokemon comercia- movie should be interesting. The First made 10 million a day for 5 days, then PLUMMETED and only made 81 million (or so) total.

Does anyone think there will be more 100 million dollar films this year than last? I don't really think so, but who knows?

CMJ

Probably not Darth23...but their are some heavyweights left in the later part of the year. We'll see.

BristerM

pokemon2000

I would have said $80M for PK2000 total, but there are two things to take into consideration.

1. The Pokemon craze is beginning to die out a bit. Fads never last long, do they?

2. It's summertime, and the kids are out of school. They'll be begging their parents to take them a second and third time.

Based on this, I'd say PK2000 does $105M easy. No more, no less.

CMJ

Update #1

No new movies on the list...though we should add 2 next week. TPS moved up a couple of spots though.

1. MI:2 - 207.6M
    2. GLADIATOR - 176.6M
    3. DINOSAUR - 132.8M
    4. THE PERFECT STORM - 128.5M
    5. ERIN BROKOVICH - 125.1M
    6. BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE - 108.3M

BristerM

100M movies

X-Men and The Patriot, I'm guessing? X-Men is pretty much a lock for $100M next week, but The Patriot may have to wait another week.

jjwr

Re: 100M movies

Well Scary Movie broke the 100M barrier. X-Men is likely to follow this weekend and possibly the Patriot will cross the border this weekend or early next week.

CMJ

The revised list

I'll update it on Monday when the final weekend numbers are released.

BristerM

yeah

X-Men won't make it this weekend, Scary Movie definitely will though (it already has).

I'm still surprised that X-Men fell so much. At this rate it won't make it to $200M.

Darth23

Re: yeah

X-men could make it. If made 7.5 million on Friday - it needs to make 8.35 million on Saturday and Sunday to hot the mark. Definitely possible.

Darth23

Re: yeah

According to the Estimates, X-men will finish the weekend 500k away from 100 million. What are the chances that the final numbers push it over the top?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast