Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RP Scenario "leads"

I still don't understand why these greeters need to be tied to a specific setting.

If you're greeting people that have only just posted in a newbie forum, how do you know if they're interested in your particular setting or not? Can we not just all be greeters for the whole forums?

I don't understand the reasoning here.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    In addition to greeting people, I would guess that they would be taking responsibility for ensuring that people who did post in a particular setting knew what they were doing. E.g. for someone who posted in the Gen RP forum expressing an interest in Mutants, the Mutants greeters would hop in to offer help.

I think splitting ourselves up by setting is an unnecessary level of complication.

Greeters basically have three tasks:

1. Welcome new members to the board.
    2. Help new members get settled in.
    3. Point new members at the right person if they can't answer a setting-specific question.

We can all do that, for all settings. I know that Droo knows very little about the DC setting (and I hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) ... but he can certainly help a new player find their way around the boards, explain what is going on with image claims, point them at the wiki, and so forth. If the new member starts asking specific questions about DC, I'm sure that Droo knows that he can direct the new member to me if he doesn't have the answers.

We've all got gaps in our knowledge somewhere, but we also all know who to point the member at in order to compensate for that.

If you start splitting us up by setting, you run the risk of making it more complicated for the new people. Maybe a new person starts their thread, Holly chimes in to explain and gives the ol' welcome post, and the person thinks: "Holly seems nice... oh, but she's not the greeter for DC, and that's what I want to write. Damn, now I have to PM that sarcastic Captain Untouchable guy, because he's the only greeter listed for that setting."

We as greeters need to know what our respective strengths and weaknesses are, but we don't need to bother new people with that. As long as we as a group have all of our bases covered, there's no need to overthink it.

Edit:

Sorry, I don't mean to be stubborn / argumentative about this... it's just that working out processes like this used to be part of my job at Coca-Cola. I've had similar conversations and discussions about similar stuff already, so I have a lot of the points and counter-points already in my brain.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Ok, so then RP scenario greeters are NOT what we want?

edit: It isn't that we have to list people by what scenario they represent in our potential newbie forum, but I think it is a good idea that our group of 'greeters' is well versed in different areas of the RP world as a whole. So I am actually pretty familiar with this whole damn ball of wax except for maybe the Imperial side of things. All in all the list doesn't matter I just am trying to compile who is actually vounteering.
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Mar 7th, 2013 at 05:08:22 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Whatever the majority wants to do, I'm cool with that. I was just under the impression that we were going to have people who were like the go-to people for specific scenarios, who also just happened to be greeters as well.

I think you can honestly look at it either way. As I understand it, the plan is to have one thread with single-paragraph setting descriptions for Gen RP and single-paragraph faction descriptions for SW (along the lines of the synopsis of The Wheel that Jace posted earlier). It would be simple enough to add a line at the end of each of those that says, "If you have questions about Mutants Unite, send a PM to ______" It's intuitive, easy, and a little friendlier than having a list of 6+ names with no context and leaving it up to the reader to decide where to start. A new user who wants to play an Imperial may find it reassuring that there's a place to go for that.

If we do want to go with more of a general help desk approach, I think we should have maybe four people for Gen RP and the same number for SW, just to keep the numbers down. In that case, I'd volunteer for Gen RP, but I don't think I'm up to speed enough on the SW factions to be terribly effective there.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I think you can honestly look at it either way. As I understand it, the plan is to have one thread with single-paragraph setting descriptions for Gen RP and single-paragraph faction descriptions for SW (along the lines of the synopsis of The Wheel that Jace posted earlier). It would be simple enough to add a line at the end of each of those that says, "If you have questions about Mutants Unite, send a PM to ______" It's intuitive, easy, and a little friendlier than having a list of 6+ names with no context and leaving it up to the reader to decide where to start. A new user who wants to play an Imperial may find it reassuring that there's a place to go for that.

If we do want to go with more of a general help desk approach, I think we should have maybe four people for Gen RP and the same number for SW, just to keep the numbers down. In that case, I'd volunteer for Gen RP, but I don't think I'm up to speed enough on the SW factions to be terribly effective there.
    This was what I was thinking was the consensus. Apparently I was wrong, or a consensus doesn't mean what I think it means.

Edit: still accepting volunteers if anyone else is interested. The newbie forum is active right now.
    Last edited by Lilaena De'Ville; Mar 9th, 2013 at 06:47:35 AM.

oh what a tangled web I weave

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    I will do this thing!

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Do you want to be a wealth of info about a certain subject or scenario? I'm going to put you down for SW.

Yeah, put me down for SW. Either with Ilias or Kelly or both. I check them both with equal frequency.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I'm a doctor, not a Jedi, Jim! What you're asking for is impossible! Oh, wait, I am a Jedi.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Kaman
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MiriyaCailis Steam ID: Gyndar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Perris View Post
    Yeah, put me down for SW. Either with Ilias or Kelly or both. I check them both with equal frequency.
    Okay, as we discussed, I've offered up Ilias for this. Final decision.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123