Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Discussion Thread

The Gambler
    As part of Harley's backstory, the Joker is dead.

We also talked about the idea that some of the Batman Begins / The Dark Knight events may have happened, though maybe with some tweaks: can we also assume that Ra's al Ghul, Harvey Dent, and Sal Maroni are also dead?

I'm going to add a category on the character list for people that are dead, for reference and what-not.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    It was brought to my attention that we have a few RPers who didn't participate in the initial planning/backstory hashing out that took place two years ago, and having a primer, or a DC for Dummies, posted with relevant information in it would be helpful.

Such as:

Events of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight took place a few years ago. The Joker is dead. Superman doesn't exist. Batman is about 34ish, but don't look too closely at the timeline because he's had a few Robinses since TDK. The League of Shadows still exists (I'm not sure on what form it's taking). In BB, the Scarecrow didn't do what he did in the movie, in fact it was Mr. Arkham of the asylum who released the fear gas, etc (leaving the Scarecrow as an undiscovered baddie at this point).

oh what a tangled web I weave

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    It was brought to my attention that we have a few RPers who didn't participate in the initial planning/backstory hashing out that took place two years ago, and having a primer, or a DC for Dummies, posted with relevant information in it would be helpful.
    Bonus points for catchy name suggestion!
    It's like that, and that's the way it is.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I do my best.

Is there stuff that should be added?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    This sounds like prime wiki material

Enedra Myrrhe
    A wiki?! My god! *faints*

Also, a brilliant idea. *nod* I really would love a reference I can use easily as I'm slowly wading into DC characters. Also, I've only seen the first Christian Bale/Batman movie...so I'm a bit behind

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well, there IS stuff in the wiki. Just not this in particular.

Watch the movie, it is so good.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    If you're not already familiar with certain DC characters, I'd say... don't look them up. Simply because we are tweaking origin stories, or jumping into peoples lives at points before they... develop in certain ways. Reading a DC Universe wiki would be like reading spoilers about how certain characters might develop, or just confusing yourself when they develop in a different way.

Just IMO anyway!

Guy Gardner
    A wiki is all well and good, but because there will be so many articles, critical information may be scattered. I do think that a central thread here with some baseline information would be invaluable.

I wasn't here when this was discussed the first time around, and I'd like to know what baseline we're working around. That way I know what I can be free to tweak/change/whatever with my characters and plotlines and still be adherent to the main core of the premise.

Ray Palmer
    I'll have to grab a copy to watch, then, Holly

Jenny, already made the mistake of wading through the DC wiki and giving myself a headache ten times over. My characters alone are messing with my brain...I'm no longer allowed to read anymore DC wiki I swear I'm not going to read it again!

I'm with Guy...one thread here with some of the more salient points would be a great reference. *nod nod*

And brownie points to Holly for the DC for Dummies name

What if we ditch the normal wiki approach entirely, and have a slightly more comprehensive DC for Dummies resource instead?

Instead of a dozen pages describing each vigilante / hero team and each of it's members separately, we could have one page that describes all of them. Everything is so closely knit in this setting that you need to understand everything in context anyway: there's no point just reading about Black Canary, because in order to understand her you need to look at her in the context of her relationship to Carter Hall, to Green Arrow, to her parents (and other Justice Society members), and eventually in context with other Birds of Prey members.

It would be a lot easier if all of that information was on as few pages as possible. Maybe one page for all of the Hero/Vigilante stuff; one for all of the Criminal/Villain stuff; one for all of the Police/DEO/Government stuff; one for Civilian (Wayne Enterprises, the University, the Newspapers, etc) stuff; etc.

Some people would end up in two places - Kendra Saunders for example would be on the Police/DEO page, and the Hero/Vigilante page... but since one is talking about her as Detective Kendra Saunders and the other would talk about her as Hawkgirl, it's effectively describing two different persona and sets of relationships anyway, so that kind of makes sense.
    Last edited by Captain Untouchable; Jan 8th, 2013 at 05:59:09 PM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

lol what happened to your post, Jace

I think what we're talking about is sort of the history of our setting, or the foundation for a better term? What characters are and who's who is something else. Probably also needed, but not quite what I was talking about.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Something like the info we put together for http://sw-fans.net/wiki/index.php/Reset would make sense I guess? Concise but informative enough that anyone wanting to hop into the setting should have a decent grasp of what they're getting themselves into.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes, that exactly.

lol what happened to your post, Jace
    It took me so long to phrase it right that half a dozen extra posts magically appeared, so I had to edit it.

I think what we're talking about is sort of the history of our setting, or the foundation for a better term? What characters are and who's who is something else. Probably also needed, but not quite what I was talking about.
    I know that's not what you were suggesting: but I think it would make sense if we just adopted that approach across the board. If we're going to have a concise "this is what you need to know so you can start writing" introduction, why not have that same concise approach to everything?

You don't just need to know the history/timeline stuff in order to get started, you need to have an idea of who you're going to be interacting with and what-not, too.

Lyta Trevor
    In some versions of the comics, this character is the daughter of Wonder Woman. I'd like to write her as such, but I don't want to mess with people's notions of Wonder Woman and her history as it pertains to what we're doing here on 'Fans.

If someone were to eventually come along and want to play Wonder Woman, then I'd love to be able to explore the mother-daughter dynamic with them.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyta Trevor View Post
    In some versions of the comics, this character is the daughter of Wonder Woman. I'd like to write her as such, but I don't want to mess with people's notions of Wonder Woman and her history as it pertains to what we're doing here on 'Fans.

If someone were to eventually come along and want to play Wonder Woman, then I'd love to be able to explore the mother-daughter dynamic with them.
    I here by claim Wonder Woman/Diana Prince since from everything I've read no one has grabbed her yet.

That is all.

"I think of my body as a side effect of my mind." - Carrie Fisher

Lyta Trevor
    Mom!

I would totally tackle you, but the last time I tried that we kind of broke the house...

Diana Prince
    No using superpowers in the house young lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Prince View Post
    No using superpowers in the house young lady!
    Cobie Smulders as Wonder Woman?

I could kiss you, were it not extremely likely that you'd kill me for being so brazen and disrespectful of your Princesslyness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast