Thread: NFL Pick 'em 2011: Week 6

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    CAR @ ATL - yeah.
    JAX @ PIT - More AFC South beatdowns
    PHI @ WAS - Bad Grossman.
    STL @ GB - Packers Packed.
    BUF @ NYG - Giants win at home in a squeaker. Great game.
    SF @ DET - Detroit couldn't move the ball consistently against the Niner's D.
    IND @ CIN - Bengals took it.
    3/6

CLE @ OAK - The specter of Al Davis compelled them.
    HOU @ BAL - Houston falls apart in tough games, as usual.
    NO @ TB - What happened Saints?
    DAL @ NE - Tight game.
    3/4

Well Brees threw 3 Ints which killed the Saints. It is cool seeing the Niners win and actually look like a good team. The Raiders better hope Campbell is okay because Boller sucks really bad and will cost them some games.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Stupid Dolphins are Stupid and Awful. Film at don't watch it. It's terrible and shameful.

I found myself hating my own team more than the Jets, and we are supposed to hate the Jets more than Godless Commies. Not having a QB made of something other than tissue paper (see Chad P.) or a new guy polluted by moronic OCs with no true threat and limited ability to make a read (Chad H) is making me insane after having one of the most accurate, powerful and smart passers that ever played the game. It's been over Ten Years since we had a QB that could really play.

I hate you, Ireland and Sporano. I hate you Brandon Marshall. I hate you Dallas castoff worthless free agents.

Kyran O'Hurn
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Evanar View Post
    Stupid Dolphins are Stupid and Awful. Film at don't watch it. It's terrible and shameful.

I found myself hating my own team more than the Jets, and we are supposed to hate the Jets more than Godless Commies. Not having a QB made of something other than tissue paper (see Chad P.) or a new guy polluted by moronic OCs with no true threat and limited ability to make a read (Chad H) is making me insane after having one of the most accurate, powerful and smart passers that ever played the game. It's been over Ten Years since we had a QB that could really play.

I hate you, Ireland and Sporano. I hate you Brandon Marshall. I hate you Dallas castoff worthless free agents.
    Don't hold back... tell us how you really feel...

Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by nfl.com
    The Oakland Raiders have agreed to terms on a deal with the Cincinnati Bengals that would send quarterback Carson Palmer to Oakland for a 2012 first-round draft pick and a conditional pick that could become a first-rounder in the future, Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Tuesday, via Twitter.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, citing multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, reports that the deal is not complete as Palmer still is working through contract issues with the Bengals. Palmer has four years and $50 million left on his current contract and stands to earn $11.5 million in 2011.
    So what was expected to be the biggest quarterback move in this year's greatly condensed offseason didn't happen until the very last possible day before the trade deadline at 4:00 EST this afternoon. I had heard about rumors on Cincinnati radio that the Dolphins had offered Mike Brown a 2nd round pick for Palmer, and I thought at the time that Mike Brown would only be reinforcing his reputation for pig-headed stupidity to turn down an offer like that.

Seriously, a first-round pick and possibly two for a quarterback who's turning 32 in December, who hasn't played or practiced since last season and had a horrible year besides? Was this Al Davis's dying wish? Sure, I think Palmer is an upgrade over either Jason Campbell (who's out with a broken collarbone) or his backup Kyle Boller, but what a price to pay!

The price tag aside, this move makes all kinds of sense for the Raiders. They have a more complete team than they've had for most of the past decade, and I don't doubt they think they can rise to the top of a weak division the way the Cardinals did under Kurt Warner and make a serious run into the playoffs. The last time Palmer made the playoffs with the Bengals, it was with a run-first possession-oriented offense not unlike what the Raiders are running now behind Darren McFadden. No question he's got to love this deal - he'll step into the starting job with a resurgent team that's built to compete right now. But Palmer's no Kurt Warner, who had not just field experience but playoff experience to help guide his young Cardinals teammates. Palmer has visited the playoffs twice - one trip ended in cruel fashion after one play against the Steelers, and the other was a team-effort embarrassment against the Jets.

Still, if Palmer can recover his form of a couple years ago with the weapons Oakland can provide him, we could very well see the Raiders in the playoffs.

I think the deal is too high for him. Palmer can be erratic. I don't think he can ever lead a team to the Super Bowl. It will also take a while for him to get ready. I don't see him ready before their bye.

Well, they play the Chiefs and then have their bye week. It's generally a bad idea to make light of any divisional matchup, but if you had to pick an opponent to try a new quarterback with training wheels, the Chiefs at home would make the short list this year. The last I heard, Palmer was continuing to train on his own time, so if he passes all his physicals and conditioning tests, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play next Sunday.

But no question, they gave up too much for him. I think these kinds of deals must be a point of pride for the Raiders. Of course, as stubborn as Mike Brown's been on the Palmer issue, it was going to take some kind of blockbuster deal to make him change his mind. Or maybe that was Brown's plan all along... feign irrationality to provoke an irrational decision...

Can't tell if Mike Brown's a genius or stupid enough to fake it.
    Last edited by Dragon; Oct 18th, 2011 at 01:39:56 PM.

Here comes the weekly tally! I find it interesting to compare our pick totals at the same point of different years. We're doing a heck of a lot better than this point last year. Liam Jinn's then-leading mark of 55-35 would put him in 14th place in this year's contest.

Week 6 Tally

jjwr: 11-2
    Dragon: 10-3
    Figrin D'an: 10-3
    Mu Satach: 10-3
    Rutabaga: 10-3
    Ryan Pode: 10-3
    Yog: 10-3
    Jedi Master Carr: 9-4
    Kyran O'Hurn: 9-4
    Miranda Tarkin: 9-4
    Nathanial K'cansce: 9-4
    Lykaios: 8-5
    Morgan Evanar: 8-5
    Park Kraken: 8-5
    Aurelias Kazaar: 6-7
    Liam Jinn: 6-7

Total Tally

1. Kyran O'Hurn: 67-23

2. jjwr: 66-24
    3. Rutabaga: 65-25
    4. Morgan Evanar: 64-26
    5. Yog: 63-27
    6. Dragon: 62-28
    7. Nathanial K'cansce: 60-30
    7. Park Kraken: 60-30
    7. Figrin D'an: 60-30
    7. Ryan Pode: 60-30
    11. Liam Jinn: 57-33
    11. Jedi Master Carr: 57-33
    11. Miranda Tarkin: 57-33
    14. Mu Satach: 54-36
    15. Lykaios: 51-39
    16. Aurelias Kazaar: 50-40

Survivor Pool

Dragon: ARI, DET, SD, ATL, NO, PIT
    Liam Jinn: SF, DAL, PIT, GB, BUF, NYJ

jjwr: HOU, BAL, CHI, NO, PIT
    Kyran O'Hurn: BUF, TEN, NO, SD, NYJ

Ryan Pode: GB, TEN, TB, NYG, NYJ
    Jedi Master Carr: GB, PIT, TB, NYG
    Lykaios: PIT, SD, TB, NYG
    Mu Satach: DET, SD, GB, ARI, BUF
    Rutabaga: GB, SD, NO, NYG
    Yog: DEN, PIT, SD, GB, NYG, DET
    Seppuku x6 combo!
    Park Kraken: TB, PHI, HOU, JAX, CAR, STL
    Last edited by Dragon; Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:46:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Well, they play the Chiefs and then have their bye week. It's generally a bad idea to make light of any divisional matchup, but if you had to pick an opponent to try a new quarterback with training wheels, the Chiefs at home would make the short list this year. The last I heard, Palmer was continuing to train on his own time, so if he passes all his physicals and conditioning tests, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play next Sunday.

But no question, they gave up too much for him. I think these kinds of deals must be a point of pride for the Raiders. Of course, as stubborn as Mike Brown's been on the Palmer issue, it was going to take some kind of blockbuster deal to make him change his mind. Or maybe that was Brown's plan all along... feign irrationality to provoke an irrational decision...

I can't see him playing when he doesn't know the offense and haven't practiced with the players. It could lead to disaster, and the Chiefs aren't that bad. They have looked much better the last three games. I suspect he will play the week after the bye.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    The raiders run a very similar system to the Bengals, it probably wouldn't be that hard to run basic sets for the week, and there will be a lot of runs.

Kyran O'Hurn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    He's the luckiest idiot in the league this year. There are plenty of teams who would have been willing to pay some sort of price for Palmer but he didn't make the trade. But then the perfect storm for him came to be.

What else can you call the Raiders having a surprisingly good season only to have their starting QB go down, with no decent back up, and the willingness to make a ridiculous trade for a QB that has been off the field and out of NFL training for 8 months plus.

I mean if the Raiders were 0-5 then there's no way they'd be making this trade. They'd be likely to just stick Prior in there and sell tickets off of that.

jjwr
    Not to nit pick but this entry looks like he has 1 win too many

2. Morgan Evanar: 66-24

He was 56-21 and went 9-4 this week for a 65-25 mark.

Whoops. Actually, he went 8-5, giving him a record of 64-26. Apologies to all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12