Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An X-Men based setting with no X-Men!?

Flux
    Well, good to see we've got lots of funding volunteers. I, personally, would rather we steer away from having the West Coast X-Men saddled with a school to run. If we ran a school, I'd rather it be a background event entirely, for reasons cited in previous postings.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I forget... was this the one about Viola pretending to be her brother Sebastian?
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    Well, not to be the voice of adversity but I am on the other side totally. We started out with an X-men setting (Danger Room threads, London's Burning etc...) and it has become... an LA gang war w/mutants?

Personally I'd love to see a return of some of the original Cullen's X-men team. If we want a subsidized Cullen's west coast branch, or even just a few missions of the X-men themselves, recruiting a west coast branch in the process whatever!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

DragonCon 09
    Gah, I totally forgot our thread! Will post as Clarity today! ^_^

I`m not too keen on another school setting myself but with so many Cullen`s alumni now on the West Coast and the social/political situation as electric as it is, a California incarnation of the X-team could come about quite naturally.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I forget... was this the one about Viola pretending to be her brother Sebastian?
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacinda Blake View Post
    Well, not to be the voice of adversity but I am on the other side totally. We started out with an X-men setting (Danger Room threads, London's Burning etc...) and it has become... an LA gang war w/mutants?
    It became that because the X-Men setting had become inactive for the third time, and even when people were posting at Cullen's, the X-Men themselves hardly did anything. We put our heads together and created a new setting that better fit the kind of story the active RPers at the time wanted to tell. And particularly in this newest iteration, we've made huge strides in telling that story, and several of us are very heavily invested in it and want to see it to its completion.

But that's getting off-topic from the original post. I think an X-Men presence can work in LA, but it's not going to be the same as Cullen's. If you want to RP Cullen's, then go ahead, it's still there!

If you want to start an X-Men West, it needs to fit into the structure of what we've spent a couple years now creating and developing. Creating a whole Cullen's campus in LA would drastically change the landscape - instead of Redencion House being the last refuge for underprivileged mutant kids with nowhere else to go, it would be Redencion House or... that mansion outside town with space-age facilities and free private education.

Now, something like a covert training facility that supports a small, mobile team of dedicated operatives? I think that would work beautifully. They'd really be the Brotherhood's opposite number, and they wouldn't be bogged down with the logistical and hierarchical problems that made Cullen's so unwieldy. I get the idea that's more what Felix had in mind for X-Men West.

Flux
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Fox View Post
    But that's getting off-topic from the original post. I think an X-Men presence can work in LA, but it's not going to be the same as Cullen's. If you want to RP Cullen's, then go ahead, it's still there!

If you want to start an X-Men West, it needs to fit into the structure of what we've spent a couple years now creating and developing. Creating a whole Cullen's campus in LA would drastically change the landscape - instead of Redencion House being the last refuge for underprivileged mutant kids with nowhere else to go, it would be Redencion House or... that mansion outside town with space-age facilities and free private education.

Now, something like a covert training facility that supports a small, mobile team of dedicated operatives? I think that would work beautifully. They'd really be the Brotherhood's opposite number, and they wouldn't be bogged down with the logistical and hierarchical problems that made Cullen's so unwieldy. I get the idea that's more what Felix had in mind for X-Men West.
    Yes, all of this is totally in line with what I'm thinking. As Holly pointed out, there are tons of public schools in Los Santos, and with Mutant tensions on the rise, I can imagine a few schools would have teachers bailing out for less politically-charged locales. A compromise could be that when Jacinda isn't thwarting the Brotherhood she's teaching the youth at a local public school.

If we wanted to kick-start Cullen's again on the East Coast, that could totally be doable. I'm sure there's still a strong Brotherhood presence in New York to be opposed, and intrigue and subterfuge and all else.

TheHolo.Net Moderator

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Dani
    I don't think anyone has to worry about toes being stepped on, because that is what i am reading is the biggest concern. Just because people express an interest in bringing some old characters back, don't feel that hard work is going to be thrown out the window. Posters that are able to find a groove to make a setting work is commendable. As with anything we do here.

I am up for any suggestions. Reason I even posted as Ethan in the roll call was because of the damn sex thread XD I saw old names and went oh yeah. How he would fit in anywhere is open for consideration.

Flux
    Ok, well, I've been giving it some extra thought. I suppose the first question to answer is: Do we want X-Men west tied to Cullen's Institute, or should they be a separate group that merely copies the example of the Cullen's X-Men team? By answering that, we answer the question of where their funding is coming from (either from Cullen's, or an independent source).

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I like the idea of it being a separate entity entirely. An independent group who can team up with the X-Men in the future. Also, being unaffiliated with Cullen's means that this group could be a little rough around the edges and deviate a bit from the good-two-shoes spirit of the X-Men, which given our current location, is rather fitting.

Flux
    Sounds like the latest iteration of X-Force; a team that can "do the questionable things a team like the X-Men can't, but needs to do". I confess it's a direction I hadn't considered, but I enjoy it. :evil

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Dee and I were talking about setting this up somewhere like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graymalkin_Industries - hidden military complex oh my

Flux
    Who is Dee!? I need to know who else I owe a high-five to.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Dee is 'Lana

Svetlana Ustinov
    *accepts the high five*

I'm really looking forward to this, since its a change for me to help establish something instead of jumping in on something existing

Dahlia Ericsson
    Which I would do with this character, my new Emma Frost-ish character. Though really, old family wealth and diamond skin is the only thing they have in common.

Tradeskill
    This would be mine, as mentioned earlier in-thread. [/Felix]

Surge
    Here's my contribution to the team [/Dasq]

Flux
    Hooray, the roster is filling out! Should we put a cap on the initial line-up? Also, any suggestions for our first thread? And, not a question this time, I like the idea of this team being X-Force, to make a greater distinction from the East Coast's X-Men.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Well, if we are playing the angle that the facility is relatively new.. we could start out with just the 4 of us and get some action. In the aftermath, we can patch up any wounds and decide that we can't put off recruiting new members any longer?

Flux
    Part of me wants to play a safe route and do a Danger Room exercise, but then, part of me really really wants to just jump right into the thick of it with the Brotherhood or Vanguard or even Tres Onces if we wanted to go small potatoes. Also, who's our fourth? Or are we counting both the people that are Tradeskill?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast