Thread: British TV Discussion

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny

TV British TV Discussion

This is just a catch-all thread to discuss Brit TV shows, primarily stuff that is currently airing, though if you want to chat about classics or re-runs that's cool too
    Last edited by Dasquian Belargic; Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:04:05 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    How can I get a hold of Survivors!? I'm going to have to netflix the dvds for season 2. Season 1 was awesome. Is that it or are they doing a third season?

I got bored with Being Human

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    I'm waiting for the IT Crowd S4 to show up on dvd.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    How can I get a hold of Survivors!? I'm going to have to netflix the dvds for season 2. Season 1 was awesome. Is that it or are they doing a third season?
    Season 3 has been cancelled, due to poor ratings apparently. It was made by BBC so tax payer funded, so they really need to make sure it's drawing a decent audience. Apparently it wasn't.

The original show from the '70s on which it was based ran for 3 series' though, and was all released on DVD in 2004/5 if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    How far through did you watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mu Satach View Post
    I'm waiting for the IT Crowd S4 to show up on dvd.
    This only just came out in September this year, so I would imagine it's going to be at least a wait until after Christmas for you guys. On the up side, there is a series 1-4 special edition boxset! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crowd-1-4-Sp...f=pd_cp_d_h__1

TheHolo.Net Poster

The Scorpion Prince
    Oil my peanuts, you blood-cursed bastards.
    DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Peter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrusaderJ11
    IT Crowd S4 was awesome

I think the D&D episode was one of the best episodes in the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    How far through did you watch?
    About halfway through season 2, which just finished here on BBC America last month. I really enjoyed season 1, but I didn't like the direction season 2 was taking. Plus I just found it to be too slow and morose.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    Nzat
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nikita Satach Steam ID: Nzat
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    IT Crowd S4 was awesome

I think the D&D episode was one of the best episodes in the entire series.
    - it looks awesome -

use to be able to cobble together the eps from youtube while waiting

IFC!

This only just came out in September this year, so I would imagine it's going to be at least a wait until after Christmas for you guys. On the up side, there is a series 1-4 special edition boxset! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crowd-1-4-Sp...f=pd_cp_d_h__1
    Yay for upsides!

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I really wish I could find more info on what the BBC decided to do with Pulse

A year after her mother's death, Hannah resumes her training at one of the country's top teaching hospitals. She is soon terrified by strange visions and the threatening behaviour of her ex-boyfriend and star surgeon Nick and wonders if she has come back too soon. But beneath the hospital's reputation of medical excellence she discovers a secret network of dangerous experiments pushing back the boundaries of science.

Pulse was written by Paul Cornell from a story by Ben Teasdale. The show was created by Paul Cornell, Ben Teasdale and Tom McRae.
    The pilot was so unnerving and ended on such a bizarre note

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    A History of Horror - http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/v9gy5/

Three-part series in which actor and writer Mark Gatiss (The League of Gentlemen, Doctor Who, Sherlock) celebrates the greatest achievements of horror cinema.

(parts 1 and 2 currently available, 3 coming soon!)

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Really looking forward to S2 of Misfits.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Small update on Being Human series 3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/beinghuma..._last_day.html

Today, after many months of hard work, perserverance and coffee (lots of coffee) is the final day of filming for Being Human series three. It's a major milestone in the production, with only the edit period remaining between now and the show hitting our screens very early in 2011.

To mark this special day we caught up with Lenora, who gave us a very honest look at the last day through an actor's eyes... Such tear-filled, emotional eyes... *sniff*

TheHolo.Net Poster

He has taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like his father, and his father before him...

AKA
    Droo
    I've been enjoying the horror history series, and lately I've been watching Downton Abbey on ITV and I'm also thrilled beyond words Autumnwatch is back. Third episode airs live tomorrow night on BBC2. And for the icing on my cake of British telly, there's Newsnight and my enduring mancrush on Jeremy Paxman.

Acacius Blade
    There's nothing aside from Doctor Who that I like that's current in British TV.

I'm a huge fan of older TV series such as Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Porridge, Rising Damp, etc.

I remember seeing a US version of Fawlty Towers - I guess it just didn't fare very well in translating across the pond. The classic scene where Basil attacks his car with a flimsy tree branch (by branch, it's more like a very long, light twig) was just destroyed in the US version where the guy pushed the car off a cliff. There wasn't an ounce of funny. You can't redo Basil Fawlty.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Acacius Blade View Post
    There's nothing aside from Doctor Who that I like that's current in British TV.

I'm a huge fan of older TV series such as Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Porridge, Rising Damp, etc.
    I agree with your list, although I would add to that "Yes, minister", Mr. Bean, Allo! Allo, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Not the Nine O'Clock News, Black Adder, Smith and Jones, Spitting Image, and probably a ton of other shows I can't remember right now.

As you will correctly observe, all of these TV series are old BBC shows, but more importantly, they are all comedy. You see, British TV is probably the best in the world when it comes to make quality comedy shows, but one of the worst at making drama. After all, it is British TV who came up with such attrocities as Eastenders, and most of the drama I seen are either dull or unintentionally funny.

Even Doctor Who it is impossible to take serious. I mean, in the Churchill episode, there was a frickin spitfite battle in space. The Van Gogh episode was good though.

The closest to watchable british drama I seen is murder mystery miniseries based on Agatha Christie, P. D. James and so on.

On the other hand, BBC makes great documentaries, and any nature series with Sir David Attenborough are simply the best. I also enjoyed watching Louis Theroux Weird Weekends, Britain Got Talent and the occasional The Weakest Link gameshow. British TV also made some great travel TV series such as Around the World in 80 days / From Pole to Pole with Michael Palin, and Ian Wright in Globe Trekker is excellent (tough that's Discovery channel).

I remember seeing a US version of Fawlty Towers - I guess it just didn't fare very well in translating across the pond.
    What kind of insane TV executive would come up with the awful idea of trying to make a US version of that!? John Cleese is John Cleese, and a classic is a classic.
    Last edited by Yog; Oct 21st, 2010 at 04:02:28 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Has anyone watched Dead Set?

Its playing on IFC around Halloween and I'm going to try to record it.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    After all, it is British TV who came up with such attrocities as Eastenders, and most of the drama I seen are either dull or unintentionally funny.
    Please don't call Eastenders a British drama. It is a soap opera, the same kind of drivel as you would find in any other country.

Has anyone watched Dead Set?
    Yup. It was good, although inevitably a fair few references and cameos are going to go over your head, since it deals with the British version of Big Brother.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    [Please don't call Eastenders a British drama. It is a soap opera, the same kind of drivel as you would find in any other country.
    Alright then! Feel free to challenge my ignorance by recommending quality British drama TV series that is a) not crime b) realistic (IE: not sci fi or supernatural) c) not a sitcom or comedy of any kind d) not a costume drama or kitchen drama that puts me to sleep. Bonus points if it runs for more than 12 episodes, although miniseries are acceptable.

And as you said in the original post, classics or re-runs are cool too.

Edit - it kinda violates a), but I read some good things about Spooks, do you recommend that?
    Last edited by Yog; Oct 22nd, 2010 at 03:28:18 AM.

Acacius Blade
    One of my favourite British TV shows is Takeshi's Castle with Craig Charles commentating

What a wazzock!

Acacius Blade
    Boys From the Blackstuff.

It's not crime. it's not sci-fi, it's not comedy, though there's funny stuff in it.

Starring Bernard Hill and set in Middlesborough about a group of tarmac layers from Liverpool. It's on wikipedia quoting something from the British Film Institute:

'seminal drama series... a warm, humorous but ultimately tragic look at the way economics affect ordinary people... TV's most complete dramatic response to the Thatcher era and as a lament to the end of a male, working class British culture'

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast