Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A lunch break is two hours at minimum

Veritas
    "And in some way, perhaps it is true."

Leaning back, Henri sipped his wine.

"Think of this. What can I say to you that you have not in some way already heard? What can I ask that I cannot simply compel without risk of having no answer? To the prudent and efficient, perhaps they would be correct in their assumptions."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Waiting on her social security payout since 2200 BCE

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    "Perhaps. But perhaps no matter how many times I hear something, it is the manner of telling that offers more than the subject at hand."

Evelyn smiled at the thought of it.

"Most times though, I find that it is the company I enjoy most. What we do or do not do matters little to me."

Veritas
    "Then you would be a conoisseur of perspective."

Henri carefully served the main coq au vin to Evelyn at first, and then to himself.

"I have a more antagonistic relationship to it. There is truth, what you, I, others would say of something to be true. A human consensus, I suppose. You could then ask myself, yourself, and three other people of this truth, and the truth, as it were, would be different according to each. Truth is no longer a binary, it is now subjective. Not through malice or intent to mislead, but because we are simply different."

Henri briefly fussed with his main dish, spearing off some tender wine-soaked meat for a bite.

"Perspective, then, represents nails in a board, all at differing height. I aim to hammer them down to level."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

This made her pause. Evelyn set her fork down, staring at Henri with a puzzled expression.

"When all the nails are level, life loses its' essence."

She leaned forward a bit, toward him.

"The how and why of it all comes from such diversities."

Veritas
    "I am a detective, madamoiselle."

He looked nearly glib as he took another bite.

"I may not be paid for that task, but I remain as such, and will always be."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Arching a single eyebrow, she went back to her meal. A few moments of silence passed between the two before she spoke once more.

"I dare say you've not changed; even your ability cook has remained the same."

It was an almost teasing smile that she cast his way, and reaching out, Evelyn gave his hand a gentle pat.

"Were but all men like you."

Veritas
    "Ah, but then you would become bored of this."

He looked at her in a similar teasing manner.

"And boredom would be terminal in your state, paradoxical as it may be."

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A small laugh, and Evelyn conceded with a nod.

"You may be right."

Looking over the spread that Henri had prepared for their lunch, she leaned back in her set, taking up her glass.

"Of course if our lunches are always as diverse as this, then I expect boredom will have a hard time of rearing its' head. Fear not Henri Bertrand - I will never grow tired of you."

That mysterious smirk which she reserved only for him, and Evelyn sipped at her wine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123