Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Parts 1 & 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    We saw it last night, and thought the pacing was pretty bad. I think Dragon's post probably sums up my thoughts on that (or shaped them ). Ty said it felt really long. BUT we both really enjoyed it.

But please, please explain to me where (minor spoiler if one at all) Bill Weasley came from?! Who the heck is he? I mean I figure he's the oldest Weasley brother but... but... have we never seen him in the movies before? I was so confused. Did they recast the role? I NEED TO KNOW

edit: Part 1 ending spoilers I cried over Dobby. The shot on the beach of the back of him and everyone coming up to him... gulp! So sad. I apologize for ever thinking he was creepy. Its just like ET where you realize you're crying because some wrinkly pink thing died.

Re: The Deathly Hallows So the cloak of invisibility that Harry uses early on is one of the Hallows? INTERESTING. I'm guessing they'll have to go to Hogwarts to find it next movie.

And don't laugh at me, I haven't read any of the books.
    Bill had already graduated from Hogwarts and was out in the wizarding world when the series began. If I recall correctly, they did mention him in GOF because of his involvement with dragons.

I also cried over Dobby, even though I knew it was coming. I also shed a tear over Hedwig.
    Since you haven't read the book, be prepared...those losses are only the first of many.
    Charlie worked with Dragons. Charlie worked for Gringotts. They probably should have found a way to fit him in one of the previous movies, even if it was only briefly. Yeah Dobby's death was very well done. It was very sad. The deaths will be worse in the second movie at least for me.
    Other things I liked: The three Brothers scene, I really liked the animation. Goddrick Hollow was a touching scene and then scary with Nagini. Hermoine getting tortured by Bellatrix. It made you hate her and it was a chilling scene, especially when she carved mudblood on her arm

Oops, you're right...sometimes I can't keep all those Weasley kids straight .

And yes, The 3 Brothers scene was wonderful, so unlike anything we've seen in a Potter movie up until now. And Helena Bonham Carter is terrific as Bellatrix...I sure hope we see the pivotal scene between her and Molly Weasley from the book!.

EDIT: Yup, there's a teeny Part 2 spoiler hidden there...might wanna avoid it if you haven't read the book.
    Last edited by Rutabaga; Nov 21st, 2010 at 09:39:57 PM.

Rutabaga, possibly should edit to specify that you've dropped a slight Part 2 spoiler there.

And it probably doesn't need spoilering, but in the books, the Weasleys have six children: Bill (works for Gringott's), Charlie (works with dragons and supplied them for the first challenge in GoF), Percy (appears in movie one - a Gryffindor house prefect who ends up working for the Ministry of Magic and - book spoiler - disowns his family in OotP), Fred and George, Ron, and Ginny.

Bill, like Mundungus, got a shoehorn introduction at the beginning of this movie because they were finally necessary for the plot. That's one of the many things that comes off as clumsy and hurried for the non-book-reading audience. For the reading audience - well, it's still clumsy and hurried, but at least we understand why they did it.

It's interesting that there's a lot of difference of opinion on this forum as to the relative quality of the films. JMC liked GoF the best, but it was my least favorite. Droo thought OotP and HBP were poorly paced and creatively lacking, but I thought they were sleek and energetic adaptations of some very difficult source material.

I think this film may be the most polarizing of all. Evaluating it simply as a film, it's fairly incomprehensible. If this were a film series and not a book series, I think we'd say it was getting shamelessly padded out. Some people may make the same accusation about the book, but at least the book gives us the whole story all at once, and the way Rowling ties everything together is, in my opinion, nothing short of breathtaking. In any event, the book was not written to be a movie. To make the story work in movie form would almost require a re-write.

Here's an example. Rutabaga thought it dragged during the relatively quiet sequence where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were on the run. I actually thought that was among the strongest parts of the movie because it was largely character-focused and there was a steady build in tension. I actually thought the episodic structure of ACTION SEQUENCE exposition ACTION SEQUENCE exposition was far more of a drag. Why? In a plot, you expect a rising action that builds in intensity toward a climax. Instead, we kept bouncing between two levels of intensity with no real sense of accomplishment or progress. I found it tiresome and was ready for the movie to end a good forty minutes before it actually did.

Added the little spoiler warning...I kept it vague, but it's still true that I hinted at something that non-book readers might be surprised about.

I may have actually been pre-disposed to feel those sequences dragged because that's how I felt about them in book form. It might have been a self-fulfilling prophecy, in a way.

I also agree that this might be the most polarizing of the movies in a lot of ways, at least in regards to storylines. I know how hard it was as a reader to read the seventh book in the series and have it be so different from the first 6...it simply did not follow the set pattern I was used to. I think that was a brilliant move, personally. It led to less predictability and kept the series from getting into a rut. I have no doubt that people who don't read the books will be going through some of those feelings as they see this movie and the final one. It's the old idea about people getting pissed if the finale doesn't fit their vision of how the story should end. Not everyone is going to be happy.

I don't think this is a spoiler but I'm going to spoilerize it anywas just in case: I'm going to be especially interested to see the reactions of non-book readers to the epilogue. I know there was some controversy and disagreement among readers when the book came out, and I have no doubt that controversy and disagreement will be revisited when the movie comes out.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Thanks for the info on elder brother Bill Weasley, I KNEW there was one who was at the school - Percy I guess - and he's been in the movies from time to time and I remember him well. I was trying to figure out if they'd just recast that part because the actor who plays Percy doesn't really look anything like the other Weasleys, lol

And yeah, (part 2)I know there are a lot of deaths coming up. I only really know one in particular though.

Back to part one, and Bellatrix, I thought the torturing of Hermoine was really well done, very scary, and Emma's screams were chilling!

We were going to have a HP Movie Marathon day before this movie came out, but ran out of weekends before it opened, lol. So I think we'll be doing it before Part 2, just so everything is as fresh as it can be.

oh what a tangled web I weave

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I haven't seen the movie yet but...

Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post

And yes, The 3 Brothers scene was wonderful, so unlike anything we've seen in a Potter movie up until now. And Helena Bonham Carter is terrific as Bellatrix...I sure hope we see the pivotal scene between her and Molly Weasley from the book!.

EDIT: Yup, there's a teeny Part 2 spoiler hidden there...might wanna avoid it if you haven't read the book.
    I reeeally hope so! I want to hear Molly Weasley utter that infamous line :3

TheHolo.Net Poster
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    It's definately in the film. Part 2 spoiler to follow: It was at the BAFTA's earlier this year, I think, when Julie Walters was recieving an award that she casually announced that she'd just recently killed Helena Bonham Carter in the new Harry Potter film. It was quite funny but I bet those who hadn't read the books weren't laughing.

I saw the movie again today, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, now that I knew what to expect.

Except I didn't expect to hear the lady three seats down from me say, "Is Dumbledore dead? When did that happen?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I saw the movie again today, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, now that I knew what to expect.

Except I didn't expect to hear the lady three seats down from me say, "Is Dumbledore dead? When did that happen?"

*facepalm*

That probably means she has no idea that he was gay too.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Very disappointing. Like the previous two Yates contributions, moments unique to the film are done well while any and all plot relevant material is given lip service. There is little, if any, emotional resonance in the serious scenes; deaths are dealt with just as flippantly as those from Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, and I did find myself incredibly frustrated that little moments from the book were excluded in key character scenes. Opportunities were missed: Bathilda Bagshot turning into Nagini should've been horrifying!

Overall, the plot was rushed, despite it being a very long and baggy film: three quarters of the entire book squeazed into what should've been the first half. From my experience, I'd imagine readers to be bored, and newbies to be indifferent, and somewhat confused. It's such a shame because as usual the acting was great, the cinematography was fine, and the production quality was excellent but it's all wasted on a film that rushes through the heart and soul of its story.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Opportunities were missed: Bathilda Bagshot turning into Nagini should've been horrifying!
    I actually found that quite horrifying, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    Very disappointing. Like the previous two Yates contributions, moments unique to the film are done well while any and all plot relevant material is given lip service. There is little, if any, emotional resonance in the serious scenes; deaths are dealt with just as flippantly as those from Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, and I did find myself incredibly frustrated that little moments from the book were excluded in key character scenes. Opportunities were missed: Bathilda Bagshot turning into Nagini should've been horrifying!

Overall, the plot was rushed, despite it being a very long and baggy film: three quarters of the entire book squeazed into what should've been the first half. From my experience, I'd imagine readers to be bored, and newbies to be indifferent, and somewhat confused. It's such a shame because as usual the acting was great, the cinematography was fine, and the production quality was excellent but it's all wasted on a film that rushes through the heart and soul of its story.
    You are entitled to your opinion but I really disagreed. I wasn't bored at all and from what I have read on other boards most Potter fans really love this one and some are calling it the best one yet (not sure if I will go there or not). I also found that one scene horrifying, but I guess we will just have to disagree.

Giving the Bathilda into Nagini transformation sequence a big money shot with all the nightmarish details would have been disturbing enough to put this film way outside the bounds of appropriateness for children. As someone with younger cousins who are huge Harry Potter fans, I appreciated that they showed restraint.

That said, I was very disappointed by the battle with Nagini, which I had actually thought would be the climax of part one. In the book, it was Harry's single greatest moment of peril up until Hogwarts. While there were other traps set for him, this one had been engineered by Voldemort himself, and during the battle Harry even had visions of Voldemort shouting in triumph and coming to kill him. As I recall, Voldemort was on the doorstep of Bathilda's house when they escaped.

It should have been terrifying and chaotic - Nagini filling the room with coils, Harry and Hermione blasting away with their wands (it was supposed to be a ricochet that broke Harry's wand, but we never even saw any spells fired, let alone Harry's wand getting broken), a growing desperation and dread as Voldemort prepares to collect his prey, culminating in an explosion of magic that pretty much demolishes the house. Instead, we got a by-the-numbers monster sequence with a cheap jump scare at the end.
    So in that, I agree with you, Droo - opportunity lost, indeed.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Regarding the Nagini sequence, I believe in the book, it went as far as Harry actually seeing himself and Hermione(both of whom were disguised with polyjuice potion) twist and vanish in mid-air as they jumped out of the window and disapparated, him seeing through Voldemort's eyes as he arrived in the room and ran to the window. Voldemort cried out in frustration at Harry's narrow escape just as the church bells rang in Christmas Day.

Far be it from me to say that a film should be chained to its source material but come on! Don't just cut things out for the sake of making the film different, especially when the cuts damage marvellous moments like that!

Oh, and on the Potter fans issue, they may like their Potter books and like to talk about it on forums but that doesn't mean they know a good film when they see one. In fact, I met a girl on the train on the way home from seeing it and she agreed with me completely, to the point that she actually interrupted the conversation I was having with my sister just to say so. Then on Teamspeak, another Potter fan concurred with my views.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot that works in this film, but I'm afraid that, criminally, the story isn't one of them.

Regarding the Nagini sequence, I believe in the book, it went as far as Harry actually seeing himself and Hermione(both of whom were disguised with polyjuice potion) twist and vanish in mid-air as they jumped out of the window and disapparated, him seeing through Voldemort's eyes as he arrived in the room and ran to the window. Voldemort cried out in frustration at Harry's narrow escape just as the church bells rang in Christmas Day.

Far be it from me to say that a film should be chained to its source material but come on! Don't just cut things out for the sake of making the film different, especially when the cuts damage marvellous moments like that!

Oh, and on the Potter fans issue, they may like their Potter books and like to talk about it on forums but that doesn't mean they know a good film when they see one. In fact, I met a girl on the train on the way home from seeing it and she agreed with me completely, to the point that she actually interrupted the conversation I was having with my sister just to say so. Then on Teamspeak, another Potter fan concurred with my views.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot that works in this film, but I'm afraid that, criminally, the story isn't one of them.
    My point is you generalized way too much, there is no way you can what other potter fans think. You also seem to imply that I don't know nothing about films. I loved it and I really don't care what anybody thinks and according imdb the public agrees with me. It has 8.1 rating and A- on those two places. Every potter fan I know (I mean my friends here where I live) all enjoyed it and thought it was a great movie. Your entitled to not liking it but you just seem to come off a little condescending.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    My point is you generalized way too much, there is no way you can what other potter fans think. You also seem to imply that I don't know nothing about films.
    You made a point about the opinion of Potter fans on other forums, I was simply stating that just because they like Harry Potter doesn't mean their verdict on the film, as a film alone, holds any water. The same argument can be made for me, so I wasn't implying anything about your appreciation for film but simply that popularity isn't an indicator of quality.

Also, I'm not claiming to know what Potter fans think, which is why I said "From my experience, I'd imagine readers to be bored..." Here, I am not claiming to be right, merely ruminating on what others in my position might feel, given my experience.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

/enter Mr Grumpy Pants

I have not seen the latest Potter movie yet, and read very little of the books (I read the first book, and about half of the second). The little I read was ok, I guess. The writing was like childrens fairy tale, and not in an epic way such as LOTR (let alone the scope of Tolkien!). I will also take the story of Narnia any day over teenage wizards riding a broomstick and going to magic school experiencing trivial adventures.

Although, there have been some highlights through the movie series, my view of the franchise is basically this; they are definitely not my cup of tea. Still seems they are mostly for fans of the books. If anything, the quality seems to be going down a bit, because it strives to be epic, when it does not feel epic. One would also think as the series goes on, I would care more for the characters, not less. While visual effects and art design tend to be nice, I am not able to get emotionally involved or get a sense of suspense from these movies. Guess I'll never understand the appeal of the setting and characters.

I will still check out this latest movie at some point, but I doubt it will change my mind.

/end of Mr Grumpy Pants rant

:: takes cover from incoming rotten tomatoes ::

Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    /enter Mr Grumpy Pants

I have not seen the latest Potter movie yet, and read very little of the books (I read the first book, and about half of the second). The little I read was ok, I guess. The writing was like childrens fairy tale, and not in an epic way such as LOTR (let alone the scope of Tolkien!). I will also take the story of Narnia any day over teenage wizards riding a broomstick and going to magic school experiencing trivial adventures.

Although, there have been some highlights through the movie series, my view of the franchise is basically this; they are definitely not my cup of tea. Still seems they are mostly for fans of the books. If anything, the quality seems to be going down a bit, because it strives to be epic, when it does not feel epic. One would also think as the series goes on, I would care more for the characters, not less. While visual effects and art design tend to be nice, I am not able to get emotionally involved or get a sense of suspense from these movies. Guess I'll never understand the appeal of the setting and characters.

I will still check out this latest movie at some point, but I doubt it will change my mind.

/end of Mr Grumpy Pants rant

:: takes cover from incoming rotten tomatoes ::

I won't throw any tomatoes at you I think the later books get a lot better. I thought the same way about the first two books but really got into by the time I got to GOF. I do think it is much better than Narnia. The big problem with Narnia is it never had a great villain and a story that connected the other books. Potter beats Narnia in those regard and also have better characters.
    Droo, I won't keep arguing about it. Based on ratings and other things I think this one is more liked. We still have one more movie though so we shall see what happens.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

I won't throw any tomatoes at you I think the later books get a lot better. I thought the same way about the first two books but really got into by the time I got to GOF. I do think it is much better than Narnia. The big problem with Narnia is it never had a great villain and a story that connected the other books. Potter beats Narnia in those regard and also have better characters.
    Well, I do plan to give the Harry Potter books a second shot at some point, after I get my Kindle e-book reader.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Inappropriate for Public Consumption

My point is you generalized way too much, there is no way you can what other potter fans think. You also seem to imply that I don't know nothing about films. I loved it and I really don't care what anybody thinks and according imdb the public agrees with me. It has 8.1 rating and A- on those two places. Every potter fan I know (I mean my friends here where I live) all enjoyed it and thought it was a great movie. Your entitled to not liking it but you just seem to come off a little condescending.

The public likes foul toxic shit like Britney Spears. Dont appeal to the popular as a judge of what's good, Popular != good, far FAR from it usually.

Personally? I am struggling to remember HP7a. It's just simply an okay waste of 14 bucks. Yawn, move on.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast