Thread: (almost) fully online again!

Tech (almost) fully online again!

Hi guys!

So, we got DSL set up at the new hacienda, or at least most of the way. Right now, trying to figure out how to get it to work with the router we have. We have a Linksys wireless G router that worked swimmingly when we had cable at the old shack, but I'm not sure if it's something that would also work with DSL. I don't know why it wouldn't, but as it stands, we can't sync both computers up for a dose of internets. Any ideas from tech gurus out there?

BTW glad to see you guys once again

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    That was pretty quick!

I have no idea how to fix the router though I just use the 'push random buttans until work' method.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I don't know - we have cable.

Did you have a separate modem when you had cable, or is it an integrated "all in one" device? If you had a separate modem, and still have a separate modem, then you should just be able to plug things in as you did before. You may have to go through the process of convincing your router to redetect the internet; should be able to find instructions for that fairly easily online, thanks to the wonders of Google.

I notice from Facebook that you're trying to make it work with a cable and wireless at the same time. If it's anything like my router, you should just be able to configure the wireless, and then plug the desktop in via one of the ethernet ports on the back. They're designed so that you can use them both together... that way when you bugger about and screw up the wireless, you can still plug in via cable and fix it.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    ^ Cap has a point. We have usually configured our wireless networks by one of us connecting directly to the router and, in a highly technical manner, fiddling about.

SW-Fans.Net Admin

Good but Damaged Goods

DragonCon 09
    Thats how routers should all be configured. Hell, the older Cisco stuff required a terminal window and a serial port.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    ^ Cap has a point. We have usually configured our wireless networks by one of us connecting directly to the router and, in a highly technical manner, fiddling about.
    Seems like an appropriate juncture to throw this link into the mix...

But yeah. Cable connection and strategic fiddling is pretty much the way I go about things. And even if you don't permenantly have a computer plugged in, its worth plugging in a laptop via ethernet during the set-up process anyhow. Its pretty hard to screw up and break the router completely, but its not so hard to inadvertantly disable the wireless. So speaketh the voice of experience.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Mine goes like this: Someone else sets up wireless router. My laptop has a wireless card. Voila!

:mneh

Brian and I fucked up the internet trying to fix it for a day or two and now we're back to square one at least. May try to get a splitter when I go appliance shopping tonight

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Isn't Karl there? Surely one of you three testosterone laden men can figure this out.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios
    Who's your ISP? Some sneaky providers *cough*Qwest*cough* have modems that only work with their own wireless adapter, particularly their ActionTec ones

we're through AT&T. I'm sure its an easy fix I'm just not sure how to do it. The last experiment failed and it may just mean that we need a splitter instead, not sure.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Doctor Jesus Terrible
    aka. The Bottomless Pit

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    I fixed the internet, they're on their own for the rest.