Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antebellum

"Very well then."

The pendant was released.

"What would you rather I mock you with? The fact that I was the one to deliver the Lantern to the Satrapy? Or that I was the one to roll my father's head along the floor of the Oratorium?"

Parsideon Denix
    "That you chose those things over death in combat or by your own hand is what comprises the gulf between us, friend."

Denix shook his head.

"I have a wife and a child who have not seen me in over a year. Don't fret, it is not simply your presence that drives me from this place."

As silent as the whispering wind, Erifa appeared behind Denix, her hair still damp from her time in the sea. Unlike Ariadne, the younger Glaucan wore a rather elaborate priestess' robe; indeed, it was evident that she had been communing with Denetion. It had become a daily ritual for her, and each afternoon upon her return she and Ariadne would retire for hours, disturbed by none. Even the Satrap Draxus had never been allowed to interrupt.

Standing just behind the Imperator, the girl looked up at the back of his head.

"You are awake."

Her voice was serene and calm.

"Good."

Parsideon Denix
    Denix turned to regard the child, nodding his head just slightly.

"I will be leaving now."

Another look back to Ariadne, and the Imperator turned to depart.

Erifa held no emotion in her features as she reached out a hand, fingers grasping at the sleeve of his tunic.

"No."

Her crystalline blue eyes locked with his own, and she kept her grip firm. It was curiously strong for such a young girl.

"Denetion requires one more day of you before you return to your family. He would not have allowed you to survive his wrath if he did not wish such a thing."

Parsideon Denix
    "Then even the Gods have an interest in my misfortune."

Denix turned about, to return back to the villa.

Smiling at the puzzled look Ariadne was giving her, Erifa released Denix to fold both hands together in the sleeves of her silver-lined robe.

"Misfortune is an ugly and unnecessary word. It would be better to view this calling as an opportunity to begin the first steps into your future. That my great father granted you another chance at life means that he has seen your true will and spirit."

As they walked, the young Glaucan motioned for Ariadne to join them.

"Our times are changed these days, and our roles have been set on their ears. It is a change that none of us ever thought possible, but is taking place regardless."

Her face angled upward to glance sidelong at him.

"Kariun is dead, and with him died the old ways of the Fold. You should be kinder to Ariadne. To Fyrian."

Parsideon Denix
    "I will not presume to question Denetion's wisdom, as a God sees things that a man cannot."

The child of Denetion had a haunting wisdom, and Denix was not so far bound up in hubris to miss it. He looked to Ariadne.

"What is to come of this gathering, then?"

The elder Glaucan look strangely at Erifa, then at Denix as the trio continued their way through the atrium. She gave a mystified expression to him. Was Erifa intent on including him in their normal afternoon seclusion? If that was the case, their immediate future dealings would be enlightening at the very least.

Ariadne shook her head in response to the Imperator's question.

"Only Denetion and Erifa know that answer."

Out of instinct and habit, Erifa took Ariadne's hand in her own, holding it tightly. It was often a common sight in the Satrap's villa to see the two Glaucans holding hands.

"You are far more agreeable than Mako," she thought aloud.

Parsideon Denix
    "Cneidon Mako?"

Denix arched an eyebrow at mention of one of Draxus's captains. He had only a professional relationship with the fellow Pontifect.

"Yes."

They passed through the archway that led inside, and Erifa gave a slight frown memory of her interactions with Mako. She supposed that his behavior - or any manner of Necian behavior for that matter - was something to be expected and tolerated. As it was, she had, over time, come to understand more of how the people of Necia conducted themselves, and while her exposure to Draxus she kept to a minimum, she was not above surrounding herself among those Glaucans that called Necia their home.

"You at least listen; he did not. But, you have also journeyed through my father's anger and been tempered by your ordeals. He has undergone no such thing, and therefor his soul is not open."

She thought for a moment, looking up to regard the man.

"Which I find to be so strange of my father; that he chose you, a man of Igneon Lux, and not one of his own such as Mako.

"Yet, even I do not question my father."

Parsideon Denix
    "All of the collegia interact in some fashion."

Denix nodded in agreement.

"Though my family's hearth is enshrined to Igneon Verix, he is kin of Lux and a facet of Igneon's collegium."

He slowed as he walked, deep in thought.

"I can give sacrifice and prayer to Denetion, but I cannot share any deeper communion. If it is as you say, then I am inclined to be near those who can."

Something prior made him wonder, exactly what dealings they had with Captain Mako.

"You mentioned Captain Mako, was there trouble with him?"

Both Glaucans looked at one another, but it was Erifa who answered.

"Captain no more - he is an Imperator now."

Parsideon Denix
    "That's impossible. There can be only..."

Denix realized what had happened at that moment. The months away. The aftermath of the storm.

"...so then, Mako was named Imperator when it was assumed that I was killed."

Denix frowned and stopped walking entirely.

"Then it seems Draxus has to decide which of us will legally remain as Imperator."

Letting go of Ariadne, Erifa moved to stand before Denix. Once more her hands folded into the wide sleeves of her robe. Her eyes studied every facet of his features, then down to his hands and the idle motions each finger made. A nod, as she seemed to confirm some inner conclusion, and her gaze swept back up to lock with his own.

"Nevermind the Satrap for now. Is your post one that you wish to keep?"

Parsideon Denix
    The Imperator's jaw tensed a little. He wasn't sure exactly how much of his professional life he cared to discuss.

"My post is at the pleasure of the Satrapy. I serve Necia, in whatever way I am asked. Before being raised to Imperator, I too was a Captain of Pontifects, in service of Draxus when he was at the time a General."

Her expression hardened - not something normally seen of a girl her age - and it cast about her a suddenly foreign and severe bearing. She did not care for what the state wished of him, or what Draxus wished of him. Erifa desired to know what he wanted.

"That is not what I asked. How would you wish to serve Necia."

Parsideon Denix
    Denix's featured softened somewhat.

"I've spent seventeen years in campaigns. I am a veteran of six wars, and decorated higher than some field commanders. I have the eye of the Satrapy itself, and have defeated many of our enemies. The natural extension of my military career would be politics, but I have no talent for it. I command or am commanded. There is no place for me in higher citizenship. When my wars are concluded, I hope to be sent home."

Erifa nodded in satisfaction.

"A noble desire."

She seemed to consider more, but voiced nothing else on the matter. Instead, the girl turned on her heel and started off once more.

"Come. My father has asked that I show you some of that which is to come."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast