Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Message from the Roof of the World

His eyes never leaving Draxus' face, Yuri allowed a cunning grin to tug at the corners of his mouth.

"That is why it is no longer appealing."

Csephion Draxus
    "Very good."

Draxus grinned at the barbs, himself picking from a selection of melon cubes as they made small talk. He glanced momentarily to Ariadne, knowing she was hanging onto every word as she was known to do.

"I suspect, however, that you did not ride such a ponderous route to protest of the lowered quality of the Jarnvidian wilds. Our curiosity should certainly be evident, we have never entertained Northmen in our company."

His stature allowed him a rather extensive view of those on either side of him, and though Yuri had let himself enjoy a moment of particular needling, it was not to last long. He set his bread down on the ornate table.

"We do not see the necessity of venturing south of the Cos-Briste, therefore we stay where we are. I am aware of the stories told of us however; such things do not escape attentive ears.

"We are here to make sure that others know to stay where they are."

Regulus Varo
    "My friend, is it wise to begin relationships with such brusque imperatives?"

Varo's brow furrowed as he studied his guest.

"We have not abutted against the northern reaches. As the hardship of your travel suggests, you are yet a great distance from us."

With an even look, Yuri took his gaze back to Varo.

"It is not our wish to pursue any relationship beyond the warning I have been tasked to give. I travel here under the orders and protection of Aza'Ruuhl.

"And we are not... 'friends'."

"At least we can take measures to ensure there is no animosity between Necia and the North."

Ariadne had finally chosen to speak, knowing that it would be wise to deflect the possible oncoming storm brought on by the Northman's words. Her voice was as silk, a gentle change to the harder tones that had dominated the conversation.

"Even if you have no intentions of returning once your duty is fulfilled, allow us to at least give to you our hospitality."

Csephion Draxus
    Draxus frowned as he looked ahead, choosing his words carefully.

"Are we to assume you consider us a threat then? It is unusual to begin a relationship on such acrimonious terms."

Yuri gave a broad smile then, and even if his own companions laughed, the young mage refrained.

"We do not see you as any such thing. The Cos-Briste protects us from the south, and even if any army tried, they would freeze to death long before reaching our lowland settlements."

His demeanor shifted from its' jovial nature.

"But when Aza'Ruuhl commands us to speak for him, we must do so."

Yuri looked from Draxus to Varo.

"It is not so much unlike your adherence to the laws of your gods; to not convene your ruling body on holy days. Just as you honor the requests of your gods, so to do we aspire to do the will of our god."

Regulus Varo
    A dreadful start to an evening of promise. Varo sipped from his wine with an obvious look of disappointment on his face.

"Then it seems your god and our gods are at some disagreement. For the sake of all mortals, I would hope for some divine consensus to be reached."

"Aza'Ruuhl will make his desires known on the morrow, but your woman speaks wise words. My men and I will partake of your good graces until then."

Yuri took up a piece of fruit, and his gaze went past Draxus to Ariadne as he gave to her a respectful nod.

"We are most certainly all mortals, and being as such, we are all appreciative of kind hospitality - " he took a bite, chewed, and swallowed, his eyes never leaving the Glaucan.

" - and wise beauty."

Csephion Draxus
    "Well then,"

Draxus broke a loaf of bread and passed it to Yuri.

"I anticipate hearing more from you tomorrow as well."

Accepting the offering, the Northman eventually pulled his gaze from the Glaucan to regard Draxus.

"What I speak of tomorrow will not be as pleasant as this day's conversations; I will enjoy what I can of your generosity, and I pray that myself and my companions will prove satisfactory guests."

Regulus Varo
    "Very well. Let us become friends for the evening."

Varo lingered a stern gaze upon Draxus before regarding Yuri with an amicable nod. The slaves were now bringing new courses to be had. Lentils in fermented fish sauce, songbirds braised in grape must, the tongue of a tigraphant upon a skewer.

"Tell us of your homeland. I am afraid we do not entertain more than farce and rumor on account of the Cos Briste."

At that, Yuri leaned back slightly as one of his companions spoke up - the same craggily-featured man who'd spoken before.

"There are blizzards that would freeze whole armies in their tracks, like sculptures carved of ice."

The other Northmen nodded in affirmation as the warrior rose to his feet. He towered over all others in the room, and the slight jingle of the many spell trinkets he wore reverberated softly against the walls as he moved.

"But words are such poor substitutes for explaining these things... " A look was sent to Yuri, who only gave a nod to continue.

"If your holy day does not forbid the act of conjuring images, you may see with your own eyes the lands that cannot be conquered... "

Csephion Draxus
    "The Thanes of Idria is Astria Judix's day, but that only concerns governance in the Capital."

He grinned at the respect given by his no-doubt future adversary.

"Many gods are respected here, including your own."

With the knowledge that he could proceed without worry, the Northman - Yvin - brought close one of the braziers that had once stood in a corner of the room. It was a simple spell, taught to all of his people; one that would allow them glimpses of their homeland while away. Every man, woman, and child knew the spells necessary for such a thing. It helped ease worrying minds and soothe tired nerves to glimpse their home.

Careful to keep the small fire burning, Yvin passed his bare hand through the flame once, calling to Aza'Ruuhl so that the god would allow him sight beyond sight. He could feel the power in each inscription etched into his armor as it bled its' way down his arm like some viscous, white snake. It poured itself into the burning coals, turning the orange flames a brilliant white. Illuminated, Yvin stood tall and immovable, like a grim statue to rival any other carved in Demos. And still he held his hand within the fire.

Ever silent, the giant uttered a string of words, unintelligable to all but his kinsmen, and without hesitation he closed his hand around one of the white-hot pieces of coal.

The power that he had poured intot he fire blazed its' way back up his arm, and for a brief moment each carved letted in his armor glowed fiercely.

For his own part, Yuri looked on with a level gaze; it would be nice to see home for a short while, after all.

Yvin, still holding tight to the coal, constricted his grip, and with little effort tossed the crumbled and dusty remains into the air before him. The scattered particles grew into a flurry before everyone's eyes, obscuring the wall opposite and painting a living picture of the great mountains of the North. Snowy crags broken by sheer cliff walls became visible, and even though the temperature in the room had not changed at all, it was easy to see that Yvin had not spoken falsely of the Northern region's frigid envirnment.

Regulus Varo
    Varo watched the spectacle with engaged interest but betrayed no exuberance. He was inwardly impressed by the display of foreign magics. Of course the collegia of the pantheon each held similar talents in their own ways, but it was certain that the god the Northmen followed held a significant amount of power.

"This far sight, it is rooted to your home of ancestry then?"

Seguing into another question before he was given an answer, Varo continued.

"Your dominion extends to the northern shore of Asga, yes? And westward? We know the kingdoms of Dalriada extend vast reaches across the hinterland, but the barbarians themselves speak little of you."

Yvin passed a hand through the illusion, causing a ripple to spread outward. The image held despite his touch.

"They speak little of us because it is what Aza'Ruuhl wishes. Few make it to even our lower encampments, and those who do often do not survive their return."

Yuri saw the look on the Glaucan woman's face, and finally spoke up.

"We are not so horrid as to butcher them; nature and the laws of the cold do well enough. It is our security, given by our god."

Rising to his feet, the mage strode to stand beside Yvin, and spreading an arm wide, the image widened to include the breathtaking beauty of the great Cos-Briste.

"We have no need of the sea, therefore we do not venture there. The highlands provide all we require."

She was mesmerized, utterly taken with the stark beauty shown in the Northman's casting, and cautiously Ariadne sat up. She leaned forward, perching on the edge of the couch she'd so leisurely reclined upon only moments before.

These lands were so unlike the seas she had lived all of her life on; so unlike any other place that she had seen in all of her travels. To her it was breathtaking, and a kernel of desire began to bud and grow in the back of her mind.

She wanted to see these lands with her own eyes.

Csephion Draxus
    "You speak of the harsh icy weather rebuffing advances north, but what of seasons in which Igneon Lux is at his ascent? Seasons change, and snows melt."

It didn't surprise him that the foreigner would speak from a position of strength, but Draxus had dealt with men like this before.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast