Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jacob and Esau

She scowled at that.

"No you wouldn't. If that were true, you'da never put me out."

The lack of any weight in her gunbelt was tangible, and she wished that Frank had returned her revolver. She stood rigid however, facing her father.

"I came back to settle accounts with all of you. Zeke just happened to be the first I came across."

Seamus Mullins
    "Zeke had his problems."

Seamus conceded with a nod.

"I don't think any of us will disagree on that. But he, same as you, are family. That doesn't change, Shoney. We might disagree and quarrel, but we all come back."

"Family shouldn't spurn one of their own."

It was said with such acid that Shoney surprised even herself. She let her eyes wander once more to Roy and Kip, then to Frank before going back to Seamus.

"I'd be dead if it weren't for Mom stopping you and the others."

Seamus Mullins
    Seamus spoke with a careful and somber tone.

"I'm sorry if you feel that way, Shoney. It was tough times for the family then. It made for all of us having to become tough people."

She stared at him, an almost unbelieving look to her face as she slightly leaned forward, head angled to the side.

" 'Tough times'?"

The bandana in her grasp was tossed to the dusty ground.

"All you did was turn into a pack of rabid dogs; no wonder Roy keeps his own- they remind him of all the rest of you."

She glared at him, then shook her head slowly.

"I'll not let my boy near any of you."

Seamus Mullins
    "Don't be unreasonable."

The old man spoke with a degree of iron in his voice for the first time.

"You think I don't know what happened in that town? You think the truth of things just exists in your own private monopoly? I know you were there when Zeke died. I'm willing to forgive you for what you did. Don't you dare turn your back on that."

In the past, that familiar tone in his voice would have sufficiently cowed her into murmured obedience. Now though, it was plain to see that Shoney had developed steel in her spine from her years apart from them, and she stood firm against her father.

"What're you gonna do to them."

Seamus Mullins
    "Depends on what they do. I'm just here for the Mayor. I'll paint the main drag red with his blood. After that, I'll wash my hands of this one-horse watering hole."

His sharp eyes studied her face carefully.

"After that, I'll consider my revenge sated. I'm a man of my word to you."

It was tempting, to think that he'd actually keep his word.

"Killin' a man won't bring the dead back to life," she finally offered.

Seamus Mullins
    Seamus nodded.

"No, but it'll even the balance. Folks gotta know there's a price in blood for killing a Mullins."

"They're loyal to their mayor. You'll start a war."

She bit her lip, giving him strange look.

"With Two Dollar Jim in town, is it something you really want?"

Seamus Mullins
    He shrugged nonchalantly.

"A gunfighter with a name, it won't be the first time. I calculate Frank will keep that from being a problem. As for the rest of the town, do you really think they'll put their necks on the line regarding something that isn't their fight? There's no profit in it."

"Profit don't mean much to some people."

That he would use Frank as his instrument of death was no surprise. Seemed as though it'd always been like that.

When she spoke again, it was in a whisper that only he could hear.

"You aim to murder your grandson's uncle."

Seamus Mullins
    He looked at her sharply.

"In the great scheme of it all, he isn't a Mullins. Best it be this way, while he's young at least."

For a long while she stared at him. In the very back of her mind, she knew that her returning would eventually lead her to this decision.

"I'll not be a part of your vengeance. Mother would've never wanted this."

Seamus Mullins
    He smiled thinly.

"That's alright. Don't have to if you don't want. Just don't get in my way."

Shoney gave a hrmph at that. She stared at him for a moment longer before turning half on her heel. Her time here was at an end. She'd seen her father, talked with him, and that was that.

She moved to stand beside her mare, pausing before pulling herself up into the saddle.

"Me getting in your way never stopped you before. And with Mother gone, just means I don't have anywhere to go when you're through beatin' me senseless."

Seamus Mullins
    "Shoney."

He paused as she saddled up, making sure she could see him squarely before continuing.

"If you ride out of here and into that town, I can't guarantee what will happen."

Frank was at least decent enough to hand her her revolver, and Shoney reholstered it with little emphasis.

"I can."

She looked down at her father one last time.

"I'm sorry, Papa."

Frank Mullins
    Frank watched her mount up without a hint of emotion on his face. He ran his hand lazily down the button-holes of his duster as he watched his estranged sister depart for possibly the last time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast