Grand Inquisitor, Office of the Inquisitoriate of the Galactic Empire, Karl Valten.

By the length of the title, you would think it would say it all, but it barely covers the basics. Oh yes, in a life and death scenario, it is all one really needs to know. Just the word "Inquisitor" summons up images of a dank, dark room with slow dripping leaks from rusty pipes and a single, harsh lightbulb flickering dubiously over your head as you are strapped hands and feet to a splintery wooden chair, staring pathetically and helplessly into the face of a steel-eyed, stone-faced man asking difficult questions and promising endless, mindless suffering for any whimpering, simpering answer you may give...
But that is just the tip of it.

Karl Valten is the Superior General of such Inquisitors and has not arrived at that postition simply on his good looks and snappy dressing habits. On the outside, Karl is very much the Military man - disciplined, polite, efficient and, when the occasion calls for it, charming. He does not have that completely cold demeanor so common to the tortuous sociopaths that you might find in the aforementioned room, yet he does indeed have the stomach for it.

Not a great deal is known about Mr Valten. He rose through the ranks of the Imperial Navy by being an outstanding officer and displayed exemplary initiative by forming the Special Squad, Project Nightmare - an elite core of officers of the Inquisitoriate, the internal security arm of the Empire itself.
His recent promotion to Grand Inquisitor has seen Valten, normally a political reticent, become active and even instrumental in the establishing of Miranda Tarkin as Empress. His influence and experience invaluable to the stability of the new Government.

Below is a few things WE WANNA KNOW! about the inscruitable Karl Valten:

You are the Grand Inquisitor of a scary Hush, hush special branch of Imperials - how do you see your role/position making the Galaxy a better place?

Every day people look into the sky and can the silhouette of a Star Destroyer in orbit, or a squadron TIE Fighters flying over the head and they take comfort knowing that the Empire will protect them from anything the galaxy throws at them.

What they don’t see is the corruption and rot that is always threatening to devour them from within. Whether terrorists, demagogues, or even fellow citizens bent on betraying them. And that is why the Inquisitoriate is here. We better the galaxy by delving into the deepest, darkest recesses of the Empire and fight what cannot be seen, heard, or touched by the galaxy at large. We protect all that is ordered in civilization and guard the happiness of the galaxy’s citizens.

Growing up, did you always know you would be a military man?

I really don’t think of myself as much of a military man, but no, I had idea that I would end up in the position I am now. Growing up, I think I was more fascinated with technology and building things than having any desire to work in government.

What quality do you most admire in a Man?

Selflessness and loyalty. In this day it is almost impossible to find a man who does not act to further his own position, even at the cost of his own integrity and morals.

What quality do you look for in a Woman?

Ambition and tenacity. Simply look at who now occupies the throne. Every citizen could stand to learn something of focus, determination, and the strength required to attain such heights.

We have a new Hand for the Empress, Sorsha Kasajian, what advice would you give her in her new duties?

Do not let your own emotions, desires, and ambition cloud your judgment and interfere with your duties. Remember the Oath of Service.

What is your greatest fear?

That I will fail in my duties to the people to the Empire and become that which I am fighting against.

What is your most prized possession?

Ah, that is something I cannot tell you.

On what occasion would you lie?

People lie for three reasons, to protect themselves, to protect others, and to harm others. The only acceptable lie is one to protect others and then only in the direst circumstances. Our society functions on trust and truth, lies only disrupt what we have worked to achieve.

Is there a Mrs. Valten in your future?

Possibly, should I ever get the chance to retire.

Are you lying now?

Possibly

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Chivalry

What is your greatest extravagance?

A good detective novel if I ever get the chance to read, I suppose. I find it very enjoyable trying to figure out the mystery before I finish a book.

What task do you hate doing the most?

Sleeping. Life is short enough for us all without spending a third of it in a comatose state.

What is the best way to spend a day off?

I’m not sure I even know what a day off is anymore.

What is your greatest regret?

I try not to burden myself with regret. In my position I have to make hundreds of decisions each day that affects the lives of thousands. No single person always makes the right decision and if I linger on every mistake I’ve made, I’d probably go insane.

Who is your greatest enemy or nemesis?

Mortality. My position itself comes with many physical enemies and I am not afraid to die by any means. I simply don’t have the time to waste on it. There is too much work to do.

What is your fondest memory?

The original founding of the Office of the Inquisitoriate by Emperor Palpatine….and the feeling of pride and honor of knowing that I had been one of those personally chosen by him to be the Empire’s protectors.

Do you believe in victory at any cost?

No, I believe in preseverance at any cost.

What is your best feature?

Narcissism is general something I’m all too fond of. What do you think my best feature is?

Is there such a thing as perfect happiness?

Only for the ignorant.

What phrase do you overuse?

Hmmm, “Again” maybe. I think sometimes I drive my subordinates mad by having them double and triple check every test or investigation. False knowledge is useless knowledge…and you never know what might show up after a second or third inspection.

Do you have any pets?

Not at the moment, though I am rather fond of domesticated kath hounds.

Who is the one person you would most like to meet?

The former General Jan Dodonna, surprising enough. A traitor to the Imperium and an enemy to the citizens of the galaxy, but a military genius as well. Perhaps if we could understand how a once great hero of the Empire could fall to treason and terrorism…we might be able to stamp out such evils from of lives.

What is your motto?

Veritas Vincit. Truth Conquers

Writer's note: His best feature is his Eyes...so dreamy..

To read Karl's current RP Thread visit:
The Hand and The Eye

Visit Karl's Wiki page.

Next Ko Report: Part 2 of the Bad Guys series.

Fashionably yours, Dakota Gue - SWF Correspondent