Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontpage News (or lack thereof)

Frontpage News (or lack thereof)

Since I've begun regularly logging in via the front page, I couldn't help but notice the general lack of news items being posted.

The current 'Galactic Holonet' news items of late are great, however they only appear to get posted once every blue moon.

A suggestion - instead of having a dedicated 'Frontpage News' forum, why not instead link the news portal to our Star Wars Roleplaying forum? It would ensure a regular stream of new items every day, and would even help showcase our roleplays (since that is what our board does most these days) to any visitors that drop by.

(assuming of course this can be done - I'm guessing it can because from memory when we first moved to vB we had the news items linked to one of our general forums initially before creating a dedicated 'News' forum)

EDIT: to pre-empt any "What's the big deal?" queries - it's just a habit of mine when trawling sites, blogs etc to firstly check the most recent date of update as this indicates (to me anyway) how active the site is. With our last news item dated from November 2008 and earlier updates fairly sporadic I just feel that our frontpage doesn't really promote how active our board really is.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Is there anyone who would like the volunteer for the role of news correspondent? Perhaps writing updates every week (or two weeks if it's quiet) about what's been going on in the world of SWFans?

Darven
    There'll be a new holonet announcement soonish - that's all I can offer.

Actually, Jen - why don't you repost that announcement you made in the Sacrifice thread by Sanya, about the capture and execution of Dasquian?

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    How soon is soonish? :mneh

Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    Is there anyone who would like the volunteer for the role of news correspondent? Perhaps writing updates every week (or two weeks if it's quiet) about what's been going on in the world of SWFans?
    I have an obscene amount of free time, so I might be able to do something like that.

Rather than a weekly news bulletin though, what if we tried to put together a bi-weekly or monthly newsletter type thing? We could potentially tackle it as an in-character venture: give some characters a monthly column, run interviews with some of the "celebrity" characters about the place, etc. For the more Rebel characters, we could always do a "criminal profile" instead of an interview; that sort of thing.

Or, we could do an out-of-character newsletter; interview the player behind the Focus Character and/or Focus Roleplay of the month? Maybe we could pester ask s'Il nicely to do a cartoon or something.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    I like the idea of keeping the portal news In Character from now on, but whoever is the news person will be pretty much free to tackle this from whatever angle they want. Interviews and columns sound fun though

If someone is willing to organise and/or post regular news items then I'll happily concede that as the better option.

My proposal was based on the assumption that no one was willing to do it and some alternative was needed.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post
    I have an obscene amount of free time, so I might be able to do something like that.

Rather than a weekly news bulletin though, what if we tried to put together a bi-weekly or monthly newsletter type thing? We could potentially tackle it as an in-character venture: give some characters a monthly column, run interviews with some of the "celebrity" characters about the place, etc. For the more Rebel characters, we could always do a "criminal profile" instead of an interview; that sort of thing.

Or, we could do an out-of-character newsletter; interview the player behind the Focus Character and/or Focus Roleplay of the month? Maybe we could pester ask s'Il nicely to do a cartoon or something.
    Looks like we have a willing victi...I mean volunteer. You've been promoted to mod of that forum so you can post new topics there freely. There really aren't any set rules. Feel free to experiment and discover your own path, which the masses may come to follow......... eventually.......hopefully

P.S. Thanks!!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

Has been a member for 5 years or longer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Untouchable View Post

Great Ideas. *Thinks of a Swfans version of MTV cribs*

Promoted? Yay! Does that make me Major Untouchable now, or something?

Thanks! I shall endeavour not to do anything too nefarious and evil for at least a week.

If anyone wants to volunteer as columnists, interviewers, reporters, war correspondants, or victims of said individuals, shoot me a PM and let me know.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    Consider me a volunteer (in any of my incarnations) for.. whatever as far as victims goes

Darven
    I fyou need holonet announce, feel free to bug me.... every now and then I can be convinced to write up something too. IF you point me into the right direction

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    If anyone else is interested in being a writer for the front page, please let us know There is no obligation to post on a specific schedule, and as Mr. Net said you are free to experiment with what get's posted - whether that be an official sounding news bulletin, or a more casual In Character 'blog' type feature, offering scathing social commentary :mneh ...whatever you want.

I'nu
    One of my threads (Who's Scruffy Looking? First Post) has something that could be of use.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    AKA
    Vince
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    If anyone else is interested in being a writer for the front page, please let us know There is no obligation to post on a specific schedule, and as Mr. Net said you are free to experiment with what get's posted - whether that be an official sounding news bulletin, or a more casual In Character 'blog' type feature, offering scathing social commentary :mneh ...whatever you want.
    My plans and background work on Madillon Calavro (The Che Character), would be excellent for at least one or two 'blog type' posts.

"In recent news, we have seen the attacks and counter attacks of the Imperialist dogs and the Rebel pigs. Both ignore the common man and his right to seize control of the gears of society for his own benefit! For the people!"

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    If you're interested in writing a one off piece, PM it to me and I'll post it (with credit of course!)

::bump::

Any action on this front? Doesn't appear that anything has changed on the frontpage (though I may be going blind in old age )

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Silver-Tongued Devil

The Untouchable man was heading this up. He's been damaged and is currently in a bacta tank.

More information when it arrives, news at 11.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

Been wondering whatever happened to Master Yoghurt? Check her pockets.

That was pretty good Tear. You should sign up as Correspondent

Atreyu - That avatar is awesome

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    What Tear neglected to mention is that he put the good Captain in said bacta tank... Imperial sabotage, I tell you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast