Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cellphone-friendly version of the forum?

Darven

Cellphone-friendly version of the forum?

Could we get a layout that has no graphics at all and is cellphone-friendly? I hate to use my cellphone fairly often to go online and the graphics on all layouts are eating up my allowed amount of MBs. I know i can disable it in the options but that just stops images inside posts, and while i also have an option on my phone to only show text this means i don't know which icons are which and the buttons for new threads and replies are replaced by long lines of text that take up far too much space.

So would it be possible to make a text-only layout with just the basic features (and that also means without rating stars, messaging icons, up and down arrows and other small stuff that only wastes space?

Oh and with a show signatures disabled default setting so one doesn't have to click that off first because doing that on a cellphone is even more tedious than usual

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    There already is one.

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/archive/index.php?pda=1

It's pretty much only good for browsing/reading.
    Last edited by TheHolo.Net; Jan 22nd, 2009 at 09:39:37 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I believe she wants one where she can post, too, though, and I think it would be nice to have one.

And I think there is a hack available that will detect when a mobile device is accessing the site and will automatically send it to the 'mobile' style. I think the Basic Light is the most basic one we have where you can also post.

oh what a tangled web I weave

Darven
    Yes. Since i an using my cellphone to post, too, this would be much appreciated. Right now my cellphone crashes everytime i switch accounts to one i haven't set to the basic dark style. And even that has a fair bit of images, when it comes down to it.

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    I know its possible, I just can't do it, personally.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Lykaios PSN ID: Lykaios
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilaena De'Ville View Post
    I believe she wants one where she can post, too, though, and I think it would be nice to have one.

And I think there is a hack available that will detect when a mobile device is accessing the site and will automatically send it to the 'mobile' style. I think the Basic Light is the most basic one we have where you can also post.
    ooooooo, that'd be uber-sweet!

*imagines a land where his crackberry loads faster and better without the margins getting screwy*

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    I've looked into the hack that LD mentioned and even with the vB version discrepancy will see what I can do come my next set of days off. Expect some action to be taken on this in about a week's time.

*is LD* awesomeness Ogre, this is great. With everyone and their brothers getting smart phones these days I think its well worth looking into.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

I've sometimes checked SW-Fans when I was traveling, and that would indeed be a useful hack.

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    A week earlier than expected!! This gives us time to find and list bugs for me to work on next week.

I've implemented a very stripped style (Mobile-Fans) but have not implemented the hack that auto detects and forces it.

The only limitation I have found so far is that the style does not override specifically set group styles within group forums. It does work in all SW-Fans.Net forums where a specific style is not forced and it does allow replying and posting new threads. It does not allow existing post edits or any use of topic tags. The topic tag limitation may cause problems in forums where they are required. I will have to research this and if so set a default or add it in somehow.

I also put a link in the footer to switch from the Mobile-Fans style back to a more 'normal' style (Basic Dark) so there is an easy way out for posters who may accidentally chose it.

I suspect there will probably be problems with the style. I am unable to actually test this on a mobile device since I do not have a phone/PDA with Internet access and as such am counting on feedback from those of you who do. Please report any issues and/or make suggestions here.
    Last edited by TheHolo.Net; Jan 24th, 2009 at 06:02:53 AM.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    What's the address we would need to go to, to load the mobile style set automatically?

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    As far as I'm aware just the normal address, and your mobile access is automatically detected and consequently loads up the cellphone friendly style. I wonder if I'll need to use a mobile-friendly version when I get my iphone in March? It has an impressive built-in browser and all that but will it still take forever to load the site as it is now? Still, being able to check out the forums and post while on my dinner break will be the mutt's nuts!

SW-Fans.Net Poster

A hundred years, just hanging out, feeling guilty. Really honed my brooding skills.
    AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

I've just tried to select said style from the dropdown menu on the bottom left and nothing happened. O_o

Btw, thanks a bunch for looking into this

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It doesn't appear to work on my phone - I just get a big blank page, with SW-Fans.Net at the top - but then my mobile is a couple of years old. Maybe it doesn't have the memory capacity? The only things I've really used it for are BBC News and Facebook.

TheHolo.Net Poster
    I've browsed the forums and posted from a Blackberry. The only real problem was that I had to scroll down through all the content on the left column before I could get to the subforum and thread links. I'm sure an iPhone would be able to handle the forums at least as easily, though a mobile-friendly style would possibly make it easier to browse.

Aree Ankarta
    Oh something I forgot to add: Is there some way to leave out the left column unless one goes inside the CP? Because that is, as Chimera mentioned, the worst thing to have to scroll over.

*goes to get her cellphone to check out the layout*

Aree Ankarta
    Nevermind - I just checked it out and there is no more left menu YAY!!!!

Thank you for this, it's great to have around, and now the next two weeks are saved! I can post again properly (once I manage to get a text editor on my phone, too)

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09

Posting this from my mobile phone. I am so 1337!

Proprietor / Admin
    AKA
    Ogre / Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Droo View Post
    As far as I'm aware just the normal address, and your mobile access is automatically detected and consequently loads up the cellphone friendly style.
    Please read my previous post again. This has not been implemented yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasquian Belargic View Post
    What's the address we would need to go to, to load the mobile style set automatically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykaios View Post
    I've just tried to select said style from the dropdown menu on the bottom left and nothing happened. O_o

Btw, thanks a bunch for looking into this
    This is the direct link to the style:

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/index.php?styleid=47
    Quote Originally Posted by Aree Ankarta View Post
    Nevermind - I just checked it out and there is no more left menu YAY!!!!
    The style did not work with the portal software, so yes, I removed the left column from the forum listing. This also means that trying to open the portal page while having this style set will result in very poor formatting and a missing left column.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

AKA
    JC
    Gamer IDs

Testin 1...2...3 testin...sound check...1...2...3

Uber sweetness. Works like a charm. I dig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast