Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Caveat Invidia

Cneidon Mako
    "I am not the Satrap." Mako conceded.

He looked at her, and allowed a smile.

"I'm afraid you'll find me a more dull companion by comparison. My life is in my work."

"An admirable way to live regardless."

She had a feeling that he would be far less prone to talk as Draxus had; it only meant that trying to get a better feel for him would be difficult.

"I am used to drunken oafs and dim-witted men, so my time here has been an enjoyable thing."

She tipped the bowl to her lips, finishing the rest of the water it held.

"Do you have a family? Or are you too busy playing with swords... ?"

There was no derision in her tone, but rather a simple playfulness.

Cneidon Mako
    "I don't have the time for a family."

He turned to her fully, leaning against the railing slightly.

"Perhaps some other day, when I retire from service."

Fyrian gave him a shallow nod.

"You do not seem to me to have any intention of rushing to that day. Are you so content in your post?"

He'd been made Imperator in light of Denix's absence, and for however little she knew exactly of Necia's military heirachy, she knew well enough that it was a great honor.

Cneidon Mako
    "This has been my family for nearly half my life."

Mako gestured to the assorted men and glaucans.

"I'm sure that will pass one day, but I still have my duty. That, and I have some undesiarable scenery."

He gestured to the scar that ran down the side of his face.

Fyrian waved away his last words.

"Fishrot. A woman worth having is one that looks past something like that."

At his gesture though, she gave his face a longer stare than she had previously. There was no doubt a tale behind the scar, and while curious, she had no desire to ask of it just yet.

Her fingernails picked at the railing, and Fyrian chewed idly at her bottom lip. The morning air was crisp, and the sea air a welcome aroma. She thought of Glasswater, and where he was at the moment; how far south he'd been able to travel.

Turning to look out over the water, she leaned over the railing to gaze down at the waters lapping the ship's sides for a few moments. Pulling away then, the Glaucan found herself startled by the appearence of Erifa on the deck.

The girl was still rubbing sleep from her eyes, and hopped to the side as a Necian soldier passed by her. She was nervous in the presence, but the sight of Fyrian calmed her somewhat, and she started towards the two at the rail.

Watching Erifa, Fyrian gently smiled.

Cneidon Mako
    "You think we'll find these pirates in the southlands, then?"

Mako changed the subject, never entirely comfortable about it being on personal issues. His careful eyes scanned the coast, now slightly more illuminated in sunlight.

"I don't know. It could be that Fyrian cut westward from Tirgatia's southern gate. All I know is the direction I saw him leave."

Erifa slowed up to stand at Fyrian's side, and she leaned against the Glaucan's leg in the attempt to look for comfort in the familiar. Apparently she'd not wanted to be left alone. Letting her hand fall to rest atop the girl's head, Fyrian kept her eyes on the Imperator.

"Where Fyrian goes is truly anyone's guess. He takes the Lantern where he wishes, and only he and Glasswater know for sure. He could be headed for Ha'lainn Inniu, or Ankaarizad. Or Aureska, far to the west. Even the Ruins of Nusakar are a possibility."

Sending a knowing smile down to Erifa then, she continued.

"Either way, I do not see this outing as being very short-lived."

Cneidon Mako
    "I prefer to keep possibilities open."

A settlement began to appear on the horizon as they continued to sail south. The Imperator scouted it with his spyglass.

"We're beyond the peninsula here. Tribal coasts now. Do you know this settlement?"

Looking out to where Mako stared, Fyrian squinted her eyes.

"They are the Jat'ta."

Erifa's small voice was startling, and the elder Glaucan took her eyes from the coastline and down to the girl. Those crystal blue eyes stared up at her for only a moment before going to Mako.

Cneidon Mako
    "What do you know about these tribes?"

Mako asked Ariadne tentatively, but the young girl had an uncommon wisdom, and it was possible she also knew of these inhabitants.

They had visited the Jat'ta tribes often during their travels, and it would be folly now to recommend the Necian fleet do the same. Most Jat'ta knew Fyrian well; no, they could not stop here.

"They're simple coastal folk. They survive on the fish of the sea and little else."

Erifa gave a little huff, but knew well the reasoning behind Fyrian's words.

"Denetion lets them live as a mere curiosity to himself. Not worth soiling your soldier's feet on their beaches."

Cneidon Mako
    Mako returned to his spyglass, and paused, looking back to Ariadne. He considered for a moment the notion of putting aground, but decided against it. Collapsing the spyglass into a cylinder, he nodded curtly.

"Very well."

He looked down the coast.

"How far until the next coastal village?"

"We're in Jat'ta waters for another two leagues."

Well then. Erifa it seemed had awoken with chatter upon her tongue. Fyrian nodded in affirmation to Mako.

"Further south there is not much else until Peer. Maybe a few isolated settlements that have no ties to any tribe or clan."

Lifting her hand from the girl's head, Fyrian crossed her arms over her chest in thought. It was true, that there were not many other villages along the coastline; there were a few, but she was having a hard time remembering exactly where they lay.

It was marginally obvious that Mako wished to take the ships to the shore and give his men a short respite from the sea. Even Erifa could see that, and her next words caused Fyrian to snap her head down to stare at the girl, a funny look on her face at such audacity.

"You wish to leave Denetion's waters. Good. He does not want you upon them either."

Cneidon Mako
    Mako turned sharply to look at the girl, and his jawline tightened.

"I'll leave Denetion to the water mages."

He looked to his trireme Captain.

"Captain, bring us about."

Her strange look to Erifa went to the Imperator. Fyrian gave him a quizzical eye while mindful to lay a stern hand to the girl's shoulder.

"Denetion is above- "

Fyrian's hand went over Erifa's mouth then to silence her.

"About? Why?"

Cneidon Mako
    "To gather intelligence. This is the largest settlement before we arrive at Peer, so it's logically the best spot in which to look for signs of our quarry."

He looked at Ariadne expectantly.

"Wouldn't you agree?"

Giving a worried look to the coast, Fyrian bit her lip. Going ashore would be a disaster. Too often she'd stopped at the Jat'ta settlements; they knew who she was by sight.

Taking her hand from Erifa's mouth, she rubbed at her temple.

"Yes of course. It would be best."

Erifa however gave Fyrian a rankled look at having been silenced, but she knew what lay in store for the two if Fyrian was found out now.

"Landsickness?"

Fyrian rolled her eyes at the quip, pushing the girl away with a shove and pained groan.

"No, none of that."

She looked to Mako.

"But I've no wish to go ashore right now. I'll stay on the ship, and you go without me."

Cneidon Mako
    "I agree. Your safety is paramount."

Mako looked to his trireme captain, who had already passed the order to come about. The Jat'ta settlement loomed larger as they neared the coast. Already villagers were milling at the shoreline, watching the strange ships come aboard.

"Keep the other triremes at a respectable distance, but ready to land at an order."

The Glaucan captain passed the order, and it was signalled with a flag to the other flotilla ships, which pulled up, allowing the lead ship to enter the small inlet, and ease into the shallows.

Mako then leapt from the prow of the ship into waist-deep water, and trudged the rest of the way through the surf towards the village.

Ducking below to make her way to her own cabin, Fyrian made no move to stop Erifa from darting away and running to the siderail. The girl watched as Mako went over the side of the ship, and without a second thought she too followed after him.

It did not matter if those in the village knew her, and coming up to the surface, she swam easily towards the Imperator. She wanted to go ashore at least, and would not be denied.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast