Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Presidential Race Part three

Jaime Tomahawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    Uuuhhhhhh........

That was Tiny Fey, wasnt it? That could not have been real.

I loled.

And I think I'm going to cry if she actually ends up as our next VP.
    Think about the sheer amount of terror us overseas have that she could have possession of the launch codes. And that's not a joke either. She scares the bejeezes out of us and make us look at Bush with fond longing.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    Summer Box Office Contest 2008 - Winner!
    Try the root stew, you will. Taste good, it does.
    DragonCon 09
    Has been a member for 5 years or longer

It continues!!

Bailout is about healthcare!
    Can someone explain to me what she is trying to say? Because she is confusing the heck out of me. O_o

I can't believe she can really make that comparison. Yeah and the governor of Texas has foreign policy experience with Mexico. About the debate, I don't think Biden even has to attack her. She is like Dan Quayle spouts out stupid stuff with no help.

SW-Fans.Net Poster

I might return to RPing if those scrumptious Gue twins would come back. Figrin Sandwich, am I right?

It continues!!

Can someone explain to me what she is trying to say? Because she is confusing the heck out of me. O_o

Couric's comment previous to the interview clip was completely correct... when Palin isn't sure how to respond, she defaults to her generalized talking points. She doesn't understand the purpose of the bailout and what it will do in terms of economic correction, so she tried to deflect the issue to the more generalized mission statement of the McCain campaign. We all know that experienced and skilled politicians do this all the time, but they can generally do it with much more tact and at least create an illusion of relevance as they transition from one topic to another. Palin apparently has no ability to do this.

What's scary is, she has undoubtedly been coached incessantly since she accepted the VP spot on the GOP ticket. If this is the best that they've been able to get out of her to this point... yikes.

Jaime Tomahawk
    It continues!!

Uhhhhhhhh......................

Sorry man, I'm drawing a blank here too.

What's scary is, she has undoubtedly been coached incessantly since she accepted the VP spot on the GOP ticket. If this is the best that they've been able to get out of her to this point... yikes.
    SURELY even the Religious Right can now see this woman should be nowhere near power....?

Looks like they're deadlocked in Washington right now. I don't think they're going to be able to get this done before tomorrow's debate so the million dollar question becomes; "Will McCain attend the debate?" Obama is going, of that I have little doubt. He'll get a one on one with Leher or a town hall meeting all by himself. McCain would be stupid to let him have the spotlight to himself. Yet, if he goes, then he looks foolish for going back on his pledge to not attend the debate because of the "serious" work that needs to be done in D.C.

And speaking of that serious work, it's getting more and more apparent that NEITHER McCain or Obama have much to do with the nuts and bolts of this bill. It's the committees and chairmans of the majority and minority parties that having been doing the heavy lifting. Even if McCain weren't running for President he wouldn't be a major player in this. And the animosity he has with House Republicans would make him useless to build a coalition. All he's done by suspending his campaign IMO is drag presidential politics into the bailout and actually make it more difficult to get this deal done. If this thing completely breaks down McCain may end up taking part of the blame. I don't see how anyone can put this on Obama.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!" "He was a zombie?"

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Speaking of the deadlock, what do you think about this clown going on TV earlier today saying McCain solved the crisis? McCain Taking Credit for Helping with the Bailout. That's McCain spokeperson Tucker Bounds btw.

From what I hear though, McCain has not added anything constructive to the process. In fact, there is even some murmuring that McCain may be stalling the negotiations. I think both Obama and McCain would do well to keep a low profile, otherwise the Bailout talks get an extra layer of tension.

Jaime Tomahawk
    So while McCain postures..

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/bu...in&oref=slogin

WaMu fails.

The stock market is going to take a beating tomorrow.

Jaime Tomahawk
    The bet is on! Will the stock market tank?

> 5% I become a Palin supporter for 24 hrs

< 5% Yogurt does.

Either way, everyone else loses :-p

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

I think you got those brackets the wrong way. You need minimum 5% drop on Wall Street to win.

That is a horrifying punishment though.. *shudders at the possibilities*

Jaime Tomahawk
    Ah dang, I was never good at those things

By my calculations I need a drop of approx 550 points on the Dow Jones. Futures indicate a drop of 200 at the opening bell. I think I'll lose (Oh Lord I *HOPE* I lose!) but it could be a lot of damage tonight either way. WaMu lead every bulletin here and got 11/9 kinda wall to wall coverage. I *think* that by itself is an onimous sign of a big shoe is about to drop if the press are onto it like this.

See ya all in 8 hours - wonder if my stocks will still be above 50% loss for the year?

I've been having some second thoughts about the bailout. I'm starting to hear more and more people who are coming out against it and some of what they say makes sense. I blame my indecision partly on the fact that economics was never my strong suit. I hated taking macro and micro economics in college and barely survived both courses. Another thing that has me worried is that after this is a 'crisis' that is being brought to you by Dubya. And we know just how real some of his previous crisises have been. I had enough experience and familiarity with Iraq and Kuwait that when Bush first uttered Iraq after 9-11 I knew it was a mistake. I KNEW Saddam had little to no ties to Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden. I was sure as hell that there were more Saudi fingerprints on 9-11 than any Iraq ones. That was an easy call for me, but I don't have that background for this financial meltdown.

I do think that AIG needs to be bailed out because of all the companies it's connected to. But I think everyone else should be left to fail. WaMu failed last night and it was simply gobbled up by another bank. I don't think Detroit should be getting any 'loans' as well. It may be time for the Big Three to become the Big Two. Maybe they'll finally start making some decent cars. Or at least cars that consistently outperform and outsell foreign cars.

Maybe I'm being paronoid, but when I realize that I'm actually agreeing with Bush that there's a crisis and siding with him about the remedy I start to doubt myself.

Oh crap in a hat, the House Republicans are refusing to take part in this morning's negotiations. Apparently, Bush and McCain are incapable of getting them in line. Of course, if you're really paranoid, this is all a big stunt. At the last minute, a few House Republicans will come on board and the bill will pass. And who will be the savior that convinced to come on board? John McCain. Am I nuts? Probably.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    McCain will be leaving for debate shortly.
    Phew.. I am so glad this crisis is over and the economy is back to normal.

.. and here comes the spin:

Statement By McCain Campaign On Negotiations John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress -- especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the Administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the Senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

In case you did not catch my irony above, the bailout talks are far from resolved. In fact, this will probably take all weekend.

Time to update with some polls. Some key numbers:

Rasmussen 09/26
    Rasmussen Daily Presidential Tracking Poll
    Obama 50-45 McCain
    The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows Barack Obama attracting 50% of the vote while John McCain earns 45%. This is Obama’s biggest lead since his convention bounce peaked with a six-point advantage. In fact, on only two days since clinching the Democratic nomination in early June has Obama enjoyed a lead bigger than he has today (see trends).
    Rasmussen, Virginia Obama 50 - 45 McCain
    Rasmussen, North Carolina: Obama +3
    Rasmussen Electoral count: Obama 308 - 230 McCain

Obama wins: Indiana, NC, VA, NM, CO
    Mccain wins: Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire, Florida.

It's worth noting Rasmussen had consistant low results for Obama until this point.

---

Daily Gallup 09/26
    Obama 48%, McCain 45%

--

Diageo / Hotline 09/26
    Today's Diageo/Hotline tracking poll will show Sen. Barack Obama opening up a seven point lead over Sen. John McCain, 49% to 42%. Key finding: On the economy, Obama has a 48% to 34% advantage over McCain.

--

Some battlegound numbers
    TIME/CNN BATTLEGROUND NUMBERS (09/24)
    Colorado: Obama 51, McCain 47
    Michigan: Obama 51, McCain 46
    Montana: McCain 54, Obama 43
    Pennsylvania: Obama 53, McCain 44
    West Virginia: McCain 50, Obama 46

Obama moving into electoral lead (09/24)
    Opinion Research polls for Time magazine and CNN released Wednesday showed:

— Colorado: Obama 51, McCain 45 among registered voters. In late August, McCain had been ahead, 49 to 44. Among likely voters, Obama led in the new poll by 51 to 47.

— Michigan: Obama 51, McCain 44 among registered voters. Among likely voters, Obama leads 51 to 46.

— Pennsylvania: Obama 52, McCain 43 among registered voters. Among likely voters, Obama leads 53 to 44.

In summary, the campaigns agree that since the conventions:

Obama has gained in Florida, Virginia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Indiana and New Mexico.

McCain gained in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Alaska and North Dakota.

Both campaigns claim gains in Iowa.

Ohio remains a toss-up —perhaps the decisive prize. Nevada and New Hampshire are too close to call.

SurveyUSA, Pennsylvania (23-24 sept)
    Obama +6, 50-44.

Selzer, Michigan (september 25)
    +13 Obama

A week of economic crisis in Washington and on Wall Street has been very, very good for Barack Obama – at least in Michigan.

The Detroit Free Press/Local 4 Michigan Poll shows the Democratic senator from Illinois with a commanding lead of 13 points over Republican John McCain in the presidential race. Obama’s lead of 51% to 38% in the poll is nearly double the edge he had a month ago in a Michigan Poll taken just before the Democratic convention in Denver.

The poll showed momentum swinging clearly to Obama in almost every demographic. Among women, his lead is now 54%-35% -- eight points better than it was a month ago, before the Democratic and Republican national conventions and McCain’s selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. Among independents, Obama enjoys a 14-point lead.

As for what’s driving it – it’s the economy.
    Last edited by Yog; Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:24:44 AM.

Mccain shows how real he was about that threat. I don't know what will happen with the Bailout, I got CNN on now and some economists is talking about trouble if it the Bailout doesn't happen. Really what we need is more regulation but that won't happen unless Obama gets in. And oh Yog nice polls, things are looking good now I hope Obama can do really well tonight.

SW-Fans.Net Poster
    DragonCon 09

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    And oh Yog nice polls, things are looking good now I hope Obama can do really well tonight.
    Ah, but according to this McCain Internet ad in the Wall Street Journal, we already know the result of tonights debate:

McCain not only knows how to rescue the economy. Not only did he invent the Blackberry. He also invented the time machine!

I saw that statement earlier. (Yog's release of the McCain statement that he's attending the debate.) Funny how it doesn't mention that it was the House Republicans that brought the deal to a halt, isn't it?

I think it's pretty clear how each side is going to spin this. Once the bill is done Democrats will say it took alot of hard work by both sides, but McCain had little to no influence. In fact, it would have been easier and faster if McCain hadn't of come in and dragged presidential politics into it. They'll point to the actions of House Republicans and even McCain himself as to why the bill took so long to pass.

Republicans will say Obama did nothing but play politics while McCain was hard at work trying to save the economy. If not for his timely intervention the bill might not have been saved.

These scenarios bring me to what I think are the most important poll numbers out there;

41% Obama, 39% McCain, 20%Whatever

The last time I saw poll numbers showing how many voters were locked into candidates, those are the ones I saw. I think that's a pretty accurate reflection of where the race stands. 20% of the electorate could go either way in these last 40 days. Right now, with leaners Obama consistently comes up with a lead of close to 4 points, but that lead could dissappear with a bad debate or an October surprise or yet another McCain Hail Mary.

The Debate
    It looks like it's on. I actually think Obama is at a slight disadvantage because right now a majority of viewers believe he'll win. And when you don't match expectations you fail. I always thought a push would equal a win for him tonight, but because he's got momentum and high expectations he may need to score some major points tonight to keep that momentum.

Hail Mary II
    Today's polls show that so far McCain's second stunt isn't paying off. Obama's RCP average is now up to 4. And if it wasn't for the consistently contrarian Battleground poll it would be up to 5. By Monday & Tuesday the polls will fully reflect both the Hail Mary and the first debate. We'll just what the 20% thought of the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    And oh Yog nice polls, things are looking good now I hope Obama can do really well tonight.
    Ah, but according to this McCain Internet ad in the Wall Street Journal, we already know the result of tonights debate:

McCain not only knows how to rescue the economy. Not only did he invent the Blackberry. He also invented the time machine!
    Charlie Foxtrot! If you know your military jargon, you know what that means. I thought McCain had a couple of bad days last week, but this week might even be worse. By attending the debate after saying he wouldn't unless a deal was done he looks foolish. It was obviously an empty threat. During the last couple of weeks Obama has done a far better job of keeping his cool. McCain was simply all over the place. And that early ad, is just an example of a campaign that's tripping over itself. I just can't believe that anyone working for him could be stupid enough to let that leak out BEFORE the debate. He's just given Democratic surrogates another talking point. If Obama hits a home run tonight he could find himself zooming past the 50% RCP average. And if it gets that high, McCain will be in serious trouble.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast